January 1899

Athletic News - Monday  02 January 1899
Everton 1, Sheffield United 0
By The Loiterer
Although Sheffield United have not shown the form which gained for them the championship of the League last year, there was, nevertheless, a goodly crowd present on the Goodison Park enclosure to witness their initial encounter with Everton, and the result, compared with that on the same ground last year, has to be credited as a distinct gain to the Blues.  There were several changes in the respective teams from those which did duty on the occasion when the afterwards champions routed trhe local eleven; but the successors did remarkably well, and, on the day’s form, the men were remarkably well matched.  The weather, which was very changeable in the early part of the day, fortunately changed for the better, and, though the ground was on the soft side, rendering accurate play a matter of considerable difficulty, a fast game resulted, in which Everton were fortuable alteration from the team advertised to the finish.  On the home side there was one noticeable alteration from the home team advertised to do duty, Turner, who has figured in the reserve eleven, taking the place of Balmer, who was injured the previous Monday in the fixture with the Corinthians.  The United forward rank was re-arranged, and it was singular to see Bennett figuring as centre-forward, for we in this locality have been accustomed to see the old Mexborough player operating on the right wing.  The subjoined players faced each other under the control of Mr. A.J. Barker;- Everton; Muir, goal; Turner and Molyneux, backs; Boyle, Taylor, and Hughes, half-backs; Bell, Proudfoot, Oldham, Chadwick, and Kirwan, forwards.  Sheffield United; Foulkes, goal; Thickett and Boyle, backs; Johnson, Morren, and Needham, half-backs; Beers, Hedley, Bennett, Almond, and E. Jackson, forwards.  

The game opened in very even fashion, but the United were the first to become dangerous, their right wing testing Muir with a capital shot, which the Everton custodian cleverly repelled.  The home side were, however, the first to score, Proudfoot doing the trick about ten minutes from the commencement in this manner.  The play, which had chiefly been in midfield, bore towards the home goal, and a long return from one of the Everton backs carried the ball to Boyle, but with Proudfoot in close attendance, the smart inside-right tricked the ex-Sunderland player, and, running close in, defeated Foulkes with a shot which afforded that worthy no chance whatever of saving.  Following upon this success, Everton made a strong attack on the United goal, and Taylor thrice essayed to futher increase the lead, but with a packed goal, the effort in each case was charged down.  Nothing daunted, the United worked cleverly to the other end of the field, and Muir was twice called upon to fist out, but Everton were quickly busy in their opponents quarters, and a beautiful centre by Chadwick was nullified by Bell bringing the burly Foulke down on his back as the custodian was attempting to clear.  At this the crowd roared uproariously, evidently recalling a somewhat similar incident last season, when Bell had rather the worst of a similar proceeding.  Just before the interval a miskick by one of the United defenders dropped the ball at the foot of Kirwan, who had a practically open goal, but the rebound proved too strong, and a splendid chance ended futile.  The state of affairs at the interval favoured Everton to the tune of one goal, and the second half was quite as stubbornly contested as the initial portion.  Although exhibiting smart footwork, the visitors’ forwards rarely enabled to get in a shot, and the Everton backs invariably upset all attempts to equalize the score.  A splendid sprint the whole length of the field by Kirwan led to him centring, and Thickett failing to clear, Bell put the leather past Foulkes; but the referee decided against the point – a piece of luck for the visitors.  Everton were going very strongly at this point.  Bell, coming to grief with Boyle inside the twelve yards line a penalty kick was awarded Everton.  This was taken by Taylor, who made a miserable attempt by shooting yards wide, and the United again breathed freely.  Following a grand attempt by the home team to increase their lead, the United made a last effort, and just before the whistle blew gained a corner.  Muir saved grandly, and the ball bobbed about ominously near the home goal, but in the struggle Hedley was observed to collapse, and had to be carried off the field.  Despite their clever attempts the visitors could not pierce the stubborn Everton defence, and the result was finally against them by one goal to none.  The game was an exceedingly well-contested one, and there was very little to choose between the respective combatants.  Without being particularly brilliant, there were, nevertheless, many exciting incidents, and, on the day’s play, the teams were very evenly matched.  Everton, however, deserved their victory, for they were more determined when near goal, and Foulkes had far more difficult work to contend against than his vis-à-vis.  All through the game was the contest carried on with spirit, and first one side and than the other attacked with considerable determination, though a weakness in the United defence repeatedly gave the home side material assistance.  Among the forwards there was very little to choose between the contending quintets, but the United were better attended to by their halves, and were furnished with more opportunities of gaining some tangible result.  On the Everton side, Proudfoot gave a very fine display, and proved himself more dangerous than any other forward on the field.  In conjunction with Bell some very clever work was indulged in, and, all-round, there was little fault to find with the display of the front rank.  Smart foot-work distinguished the efforts of the United five, but Bennett was not a success in the centre, and the United right-wing was by far the most prominent feature in their attack.  Hedley did uncommonly well, and Beers put in some capital centres, which deserved more success.  The left wing was feeble, particularly on the outside, and consequently the smart efforts of the others were often nullified by weak work in this particular department.  At half-back the United were superior, and a better trio of workers need not be wished for than those which did duty for the “Blades” on this occasion.  Johnson was the pick, and in opposing the Everton left he had a difficult task on hand but was rarely beaten.  Needham exhibited some clever touches, and the whole line backed up their front rank in most approved style.  On the home side Taylor was again the most conspicuous of the halves, and by his determination more than compensated for any amount of clever finessing, repeatedly interventing and dispossessing the United players when least expected.  The backs on both sides were somewhat shaky, and did not return with that accuracy usually witnessed.  The recruit, Turner, did not shape at all badly, though he does better with th left foot than right, but on the whole he made a most creditable debut in Frist League football.  Molyneux tackled in masterly fashion, and assisted his confrere to emerge from more than one difficult position in creditable fashion.  Boyle was not a great success for the visitors and could not hold the irrepressible Proundfoot in check, whilst he was often at fault when hard pressed, though kicking well when allowed plenty of room.  Thickett was equal to every emergency, and repeatedly covered his partner, and Foulkes and Muir could not have improved upon their respective exhibitions between the uprights. 

January 2 1899. The Liverpool Mercury
Jack Taylor penalty kick saved
The return League engagement between these clubs took place at Goodison Park on Saturday last. Before about 15,000 spectators. The ground was in a heavy condition consequent upon the frequent downpours during the forenoon, but at the time for commencing operations rain had ceased, and there were prospect of an interesting struggle for supremacy. There was one change in the Everton ranks that which did duty against Burnley, owing to an injury to Balmer in the progess of the Everton-Corinthians match, and his position was filled by Turner, of the combination eleven. The United had a representative side, and at 2-30 the teams faced as follows: - Everton: - Muir, goal, Turner (e), and Molyneux backs, Boyle Taylor (Captain), and Hughes halfbacks, Bell, Proudfoot, Oldham, Chadwick, and Kirwan, forwards. Sheffield United: - Foulkes goal, Thickett, and Boyle, backs, Johnson, Morren, and Needham, halfbacks, Beers, Hedley, Bennett, Almond and Johnson (e), forwards.

The United commenced operations, but the early proceedings were not of a very attractive character though on one occasion, Beers after having the better of a tussle with Molyneux caused the home custodian to leave his charge in order to avert danger. A smart run down by the Everton left wing pair then pressed danger, but Thickett was on the alert, and following his clearance the United inside forwards worked the ball well down, and the centre give Muir a warm shot to deal with Everton retaliated, and on proudfoot beating Boyle from a return the Evertonian raced through and scored a clever goal. Foulkes having no chance to save his side. This reverse occurred about ten minutes from the start, and immediately on resuming the pace became exceptionally keen, and many good points of play were witnessed. The United put on pressure but found the Everton defenders in rare form, for the latter covered each other splendidly, and by judicious kicking staved off many an ugly rush on Muir's charge. Bell put in a smart shot, which Foulkes dealt with at the expense of a corner and then followed persistent pressure on the United goal. Taylor being the most prominent in efforts to again break down the United defence. The Everton centre half all but found the net with a capital header, and after again striking the crossbar was unfortunately enough to see a really brilliant shot charged down. The visitors were exceptionally lucky at this juncture in keeping their goal intact and after a while play vested to the Everton end, the Sheffield left wing being mainly instrumental in making headway. Play then ruled even, and during one of many centres in front of the Sheffield goal, Bell upsetting the burly Foukles caused much amusement. Bennett then followed with a capital shot from long range as shortly following Foulkes was compelled to throw himself full length to prevent a brilliant shot from Proudfoot finding its way into the net. At this other end, Johnson, almost capture the Everton citadel and immediately following Kirwan would certainly have scored had he not unfortunately overrun the ball. In the meantime Chadwick had been contributing most useful work, and on two occasions Foulkes had to deal with clever shots from the quarter. No further scoring took place up to the interval, when Everton held the lead by one goal to none. Soon after the restart, Muir was the victim of a heavy charge by Johnson the result being that the game was suspended for some few minutes. For some little time the United forwards had more of the play than the home side but a change was effected by Kirwan and Chadwick, who forged their way down by a series of well worked out movement which were repeated several times, the only successful issue, however, being the concession of a quarter of corner kicks, which though well directed, came to nought. The attack of the united goal during this period was a most exacting one, and Foukles, and his backs were seen to great advantage in defensive work. Bell, all but found the mark, when the custodian fisted out powerfully, and returning again the outside right put the ball into the net, but appeal was ruled offside. A magnificent save from Kirwan was the next item, and after Bell had again only justed missed the mark, a penalty kick was given against Boyle (Sheffield). Taylor was entrusted with the kick but made a poor attempt to convert, and this led on to a pressure on the Everton goal, during which Hedley was hurt and retired. Nothing further of any moment transpired, and Everton eventually won a hard game by one goal to none.

January 2, 1899. The Sheffield Independent.
Everton Just Win.
Last Season's League Results;
At Everton, United won by 4 goals to 1.
At Bramall Lane, a draw, No Score.
Previous Match this season
At Bramell lane, a draw 1 goal each.
The weather in Liverpool on Saturday morning was anything but favourable for out-door sports, and consequently the game between Everton and Sheffield United failed to draw the number of spectators one would have expected to see at Goodison Park. Still there would have been about 10,000 people present at the start, and there were so rapidly augmented during the first quarter of an hour that there would probably be between 15000 and 20,000 present before half-time. The ground was soft and treacherous, and the players at times experienced the greatest difficulty in keeping their equilibrium. Everton had done so well in their last engagement that the directorate decided to place the same team in the field to meet the United, but at the last moment Balmer, who had not sufficiently recovered from his injury of the previous week, had to be left out, Turner, of the Reserves, taking his place. The United relied upon exactly the same team that defeated Wednesday on Boxing Day, Thickett being deemed sufficiently recovered to take up his usual position at full back. Everton grained a good reception when they appeared, but when the United stepped from the dressing tent the larger number of Sheffielders present gave voice to welcome their favourites. The home skipper won the toss, and Bennett kick-off for the United against a steady wind. Almond and Johnson at once worked their way into Everton territory, and the last named forced a corner kick, but this was easily cleared. A combined rush to the other end saw Thickett hardly pressed, and Johnson conceded a corner kick. This was well placed, but a warm attack was ended by one of the Evertonians getting off-side. Then the game opened out, and Bennett passing out well to his wings, E.W. Johnson and Beers put in some capital work, but Molyneux and Turner defended stoutly, and being able assisted by the middle division soon transferred play into the United half. The game had only been in progress seven minutes when Proudfoot, after tricking Boyle, put in a clever dribble, and from short range easily beat Foulkes with a shot with which the United custodian had not the slightest chance. From the centre kick the United at once attacked, but a smart return a corner kick. This was well placed, and a well-sustained attack was made on the United goal, Bell and Oldham putting in a couple of fine shots, which were dealt with equally as well by the opposing defence. Taylor also got in a couple of fine shots, but the United defenders struck gamely to their work, and at length the pressure was relieved, Beers, who was showing good form, gave Muir a warm handful, but the home custodian cleared cleverly. From a centre by Oldham, Thickett gave a corner, but this was placed outside. From an attack on the visitor's goal Foulke saved well, and Bell was penalised for upsetting the United goalkeeper unfairly. The clever passing by the whole of the United front rank threatened danger, and Bennett had hard lines with a capital shot, the ball striking the upright with Muir well beaten, and then rebounding out of play. Proudfoot gave Foulke a teaser, but he saved at full length at the expense of a corner. A determined attack was next made on the Everton goal, and the Sheffielders looked like equalising, but the home defence remained sound, through Turner appeared somewhat uncertain. Johnson at half-back, was doing any amount of work, whilst Needham and Morren were both doing excellently, though the first-named had a lot of work to do in the defence. Boyle let in the opposing wing, but a timely rush by Thickett spoiled Proudfoot's effort. E.W. Johnson put in a capital centre at the other end, and a corner resulted, but this was improved upon. The game was now very evenly contested, but Everton just before the interval were attacking hotly without any tangible result, and when the teams crossed over Everton were leading by one goal to none. On resuming the Sheffielders immediately made a dash for the home goal, and Muir had to come out in a hurry to clear, and got slightly winded in so doing. A good chance immediately afterwards was spoiled by E.W. Johnson getting off-side. Then the Evertonians took up the attack, and no fewer than five corner kicks in rapid succession were conceded them, but none of these were improved upon. A corner to the United failed to bring any good result, and directly afterwards a stoppage occurred owing to Morren being injured. On resuming even play ensured, and a capital shot by Beers cannoned back on opponent rather luckily. Another corner, to United was well placed, but equally as well cleared. A dash by Kirwan endangered the visitors goal and from his centre the ball came off Thickett to Chadwick, who passed forward to Bell, the last named player shooting through easily, off-side, however, was claimed and disallowed. Still Everton would not be denied, and Foulkes dispused of a hot shot from Kirwan in grand style. A free kick to the Sheffielders caused trouble, but the danger was removed after a warm struggle, this being followed directly after by an unproductive corner. The Everton right wing next threatened danger, and Boyle, in tackling, slipped down with his hand on the ball. The referee at once gave a penalty kick, but Taylor, with a miserably poor shot, was a long way wide of the mark. The United played up desperately just before the finish, but lost the service of Hedley, who received an opponent's knee in his side, and was compelled to retire, in the last few minutes the United gained a free kick, and Thickett placed the ball well in front of goal, Bennett nearly heading through, and a corner resulting. This was put to no good use, and in the last fast gathering darkness it was difficult to distinguish the players. No more scoring was done, and thus the game ended in a victory for Everton. For the winners, Muir kept goal in good style, Molyenux played a sound game at full back, but Turner was none too safe. All the half-backs played a sterling game, and besider rendering the defence every assistance, looked after the front rank well. The forwards played a dashing game, and in addition to doing some pretty close dribbling occasionally swung the ball from one wing to the other in a manner, which at times upset the United defence. For the losers Foulke kept goal in capital style, and was not in the least to blame for defeat. Thickett played a grand game at full back, but Boyle, through at times doing good work, was rather slow, and was often beaten by the opposing wing. The three half-backs, Johnson, Morren, and Needham each did well, through they were all seen to better advantage in defence than in attack. The passing of the forwards at timers was really brilliant, but their efforts close in lacked finish. E.W. Johnson, showed good form in the first half, but did little in the second. Beers played a capital game, but might with advantage have been found more work in the second half. Although not an ideal centre-forward, Bennett at times passed out well to his wings, and with Almond and Hedley on either side of him, the three inside men are likely to give some of their opponents trouble. Though beaten, the United were anything but disgraced, and right to the close might at any time have equalised, as they were never really done with. However, it must be conceded that Everton deserved their victory, narrow, as it was the score at the finish being: - Everton 1 goal, Sheffield United 0 goals. Teams: - Everton: - Muir, goal; Turner and Molyneux, backs; Boyle, Taylor, and Hughes, half-backs; Bell, Proudfoot, Oldham, Chadwick, and Kirwan, forwards. Sheffield United: - Foulke, goal; Thickett and Boyle, backs; Johnson, Morren, and Needham, half-backs; Beers, Hedley, Bennett, Almond, E.W. Johnson, forwards. Referee Mr. A J. Barker.

January 2 1899. The Liverpool Mercury
Everton continue to pile on points in a most gratifying manner, and their latest success though only by one goal to nil, was well deserved for it was a case of a victory gained. Where last season a reverse was sustained. Although the recent performance of the United compares unfavorably with those, which gained for them the Championship of the League, there was alarge assembly, and a keenly contested game was witnessed. The ground was on the soft side, but fortunately the weather proved fine. Nevertheless it was a matter of some difficulty to control the ball, and many of the miskicks were attributed to this cause. There was one important alteration in the personnel of the home eleven. Turner who had figured in the ranks of the reserve team for some time, being called upon to substitute Blamer, who was sightly incapacitated on Monday last. The United were evidently experimenting with their front rank, for Bennett who usually operates on the right wing, took centre position, but on the whole the side were fairly representative. The game was very stubbornly contested, and under the prevailing conditions was carried on at a good pace, each end being alternately visited and the respective defence were kept actively employed. There were very little to choose between the contending elevens, but Everton held a slight advantage when near goal, and Foulkes had more difficult work to tackle than Muir. The home forwards were more determined when in the vicinity of the burly custodian than their opponents, otherwise there was little to choose between the two sets. On the Everton side, Proudfoot rendered good service, if only on account of registering the only goal of the match, and twice afterwards he almost repeated the performance after rounding the United left back. Without accomplishing anything particularly brilliant the whole line gave a good average display, and their shooting-with one single and notable exception-was very good. The United quintet adopted smart tactics and passed with accuracy, and precision, but at the finish they invariably found an Everton defender step into the breach and drive them back. The right wing, composed of Beers and Hedley, was by far the most dangerous position of their attack, and the efforts of this pair deserved better support, for Bennett is not a cente forward by any means, and E.Johnson, who made his debut on the left wing, was the weakest of the five. The half backs on the visiting side were particularly clever. Johnson being most prominent, whilst Needham and Morren placed with rare judgement, and gave their forwards material assistance. Taylor who again filled the centre position, was the pick of the home halves, his tackling being extremely effective, repeatedly robbing the United front rank, and placing his own side in possession. Boyle also put in some very useful work, but Hughes was not so conspicuous as on the previous week. Further behind Turner had a responsible position to fill, which he did with credit, and though weak in some of his returns, nevertheless made very few mistakes, and for a first appearance did remarkable well under such trying conditions. Molyneux defended, as usual with ability, judiciously tackling and returning whilst in goal Muir made some capital clearances, and was never beaten. The United were not so fortunate at full back for Boyle was very erratic and could do little with Proudfoot and Bell, who often got past him, and Thickett had frequently to render assistance. The latter was rarely at fault. Proving a stumbling block to the opposing wing, and Foulkes though somewhat clumsy, cleverly saved several fast low shots and had no chance with the one that was scored. To-day Everton meet the Cupholders and as the latter made a draw at Blackburn they will oppose the ‘'Blues'' with the hope of further points, so that a good game should result.

January 3 1899. The Liverpool Mercury
Unfortunately for the complete success of the fixture between these clubs, the weather yesterday afternoon was altogether unfavorable for the pursuit of outdoor pastime, and, as a consequence the attention was much below the standard of holiday support. Rain fell incessary during the forenoon and when the advertised time for commencing operations came round there was little, if any diminution so that an attendance of 10,000 at the start must be considered satisfactory in every way. There were two changes in the home team, Clarke taking the place of Bell on the outside right, and Balmer resumed his old position at right full back. The Forest brought a representative team, and at 2-30 the sides took the field as follows: - Everton: - Muir goal, Balmer and Molyneux, backs, Boyle, Taylor (captain), and Hughes, halfbacks, Clarke, Proudfoot, Oldham, Chadwick, and Kirwan, forwards. Notts Forest: - Allsop, goal, Iremonger, and Scott, backs, Forman, McPherson, and Norris, halfbacks, Bradshaw, Capes, Benbow, Morris, and Sponcer forwards. The game opened in even fashion, and in the early stages Muir saved from Benlow after offside had been given. Everton retaliated, and Clarke centred finely, but Forman was repeatedly prominent, and had sufficient support been forthcoming, the Forest must have opened the scoring account. Subsequently two corners, fell to Everton from one of which a grand shot from Chadwick only just missed the mark. Nice work by Boyle and Clarke followed, but retaliating a fine centre by Spouncer on the line resulted in a near score for the visitors. Muir kept out a couple of clever shots, and for some little time the Forest held the position, but could not exact much quarter from the Everton defenders. Eventually the home side made headway, and Proudfoot sent in a shot which Allsop attended to but, slipping was not able to clear effectively, and Kirwan rushing up opened the scoring account after play had been in progess some half hour. Following this success Everton put on further pressure but eventually Bradshaw opened out a movement which brought play within a few yards of the Everton goal, where Benhow was penalised for infringement of rule. The Forest left wing pair were then particularly busy, and following a fine clearance by Balmer, Muir had to save a fine oblique shot from Spouncer. Still keeping up the pressure a free kick was awarded the Forest close in, and Taylor all but diverted the ball into the net it fortunately for Everton, glancing off the upright out off the upright out of play. The Forest forwards at this juncture were playing a really magnificent game and following a fine sequence of passing from their own half of the field, both Hughes and Molyneux were outwitted, and on Capes putting in a grand centre. Morris put the ball into the net thus placing the side, on equal terms. It was a splendidly worked out movement, and thoroughly deserved a successful issue. At the interval drew near, the Forest left again attacked and Muir stopped a fine shot from Spouncer, but the greasy ball dropped from his hands, and Benbow, rushing up, put on a second point for the Forest. The visitors continued to press, Spouncer being very prominent, but no further scoring took place up to the change of ends, when the Forest were leading by two goals to one. On resuming the Forest were the first to make an advance though the first dangerous movement came from the Everton left wing final efforts however, being faulty. Immediately afterwards Iremonger missed his kick, and the Forest goal had a marvelous escape with Allsop out of his charge, but unfortunately for the Forest, the ball rolled harmlessly over the line. Directly afterwards Benbow was given offside when but a few yards from Muir, and from the free kick the Everton right wing pair looked like getting through. Scott and Iremonger resorted to kicking out tactics, and on two occasions certainly saved their side from disaster, following which Bradshaw only just missed coverting a fine pass by Benbow. Wild passing by the Everton halves at this juncture was frequently noticeable, and but for some sterling work on the part of Balmer and Molyneux the Forest forwards must have overrun the home goal. Muir on one occasion picked up and threw smartly away, with the result that the home right well down. Clarke and Chadwick in quick succession forcing a couple of corner kicks, which however, came to nothing. A fine shot from Spouncer was the next item. Muir having to save by tripping the ball over the bar. Clarke and Proudfoot were next prominent, but Scott allowed no quarter when the finishing effort came round. The Forest forwards were the more deadly, when in possession and twice narrowly missed scoring from corner kicks. A further free kick against Boyle was well placed by Norris, and Morris rushing up headed the ball past Muir thus putting on a third point for Forest. The home custodian had no chance of dealing with the header, but immediately afterwards Allsop was all put beaten from a free kick close in, the keeper saving and clearing with the greatest dexity. In close following Molyneux almost kick through his own goal. Clarke then missed a fairly easy chance of reducing the lead, and though at this juncture the Everton forwards were undoubtedly having the greater share of attack nothing could have been finer than the defence of the Forest rearguard. Kirwan put behind when in a good position for centring. A couple of free kicks enabled the visitors to get well down, but this time they were strongly met the home defence. A further breakaway by the home team resulted in Proudfoot shooting in splendidly was hampered, but there was no defeating Allsop, but it must be stated that he was lucky in saving his charge. Nothing further was scored and Forest won by three goals to one.

The weather altogether intered with the play, but the Forest were very much more at home on the heavy ground than were their opponents. On the actual run of the game, the visitors were the better team, and adopting themselves as they ably did. To the existing circumstances they thoroughly deserved their success.

January 3 1899. The Liverpool Mercury
Game abandon at half time.
Great local interest was centred in the meeting of these teams at Oswestry, which was only marred by the boisterous weather that prevailed. Everton set the leather in motion, and immediately showed some nice passages, which were well checked by the Oswestry backs. Everton improving their position, Marquis scored for them. Oswestry subsequently got away, and threatened on two occasions. Rain falling in torrents, the ground became so greasy at to cause play impracticable at half time. In the circumstances the game was stopped Everton leading by a goal to nil.

January 7, 1899. The Chester Observer.
The Combination match between Oswestry against Everton was abandoned, when the latter was leading by a goal to nothing.

January 7 1899. The Liverpool Mercury
The Everton team, accompanied by Messrs Clayton, Cuff and Keates directors of the club, and M. Molyneux, secretary made the journey north on Friday in order to fulfill the return League engagement with Newcasle United at S.James Park on Saturday. Unfortunately the weather was of the most wretched description, as a heavy drizzle and for prevailed during the forenoon, though these drawbacks appeared to have but little effect upon the enthusiasm of the club's supporters, for at the commencement of the game there would be quite 14,000 spectators present. Owing to injuries, the Everton team had to be rearranged. Molyneux was not able to take up his accustomed position, which was filled by Balmer, thus letting in Eccles for the first time this season this player taking the post of right full back. Crompton, who performed so well against the Corinthians on Boxing Day, was drafted into the centre forward position and Bell still indisposed Schofield partnered Proudfoot. In the United team there was but one change, Mcfarlane for Biddie and at 2-15 the sides, under the guidance of Mr.Jeffries faced as follows: - Everton: - Muir goal, Eccles, and Balmer (w), backs, Boyle, Taylor (captain), and Hughes, halfbacks, Schofield, Proudfoot, Crompton, Chadwick, and Kirwan, forwards. Newcastle United: - Kingsley, goal, Lindsay, and Jackson backs, Ghee, Ostler, and Stott halfbacks, Rogers, Stevenson, MacFarlane, Aitken, and Wardrope, forwards. Taylor lost the toss, and operations were commenced with the slope of the ground in favour of the home side. Following some opening exchanges, the Everton forwards got well down with a fine movement, which ended in Kirwan being ruled off side when in a favour able position for testing Kinsley. Some fine work by the home left pair was the next item of any moment, and after considerable headway had been made the ball was sent across to Rogers who ran round Hughes and gave Muir a difficult shot to get rid of. This was well attended to and for some minutes the Everton forwards was busy in close proximity to the home goal. Both Schofield and Crompton were at fault. Eventually the whole of the home quintet participated in a movement, which ended in MarFarlane putting the ball into the Everton net, but previously to this the whistle had sounded for a foul against Taylor, and the visitors goal had thus a narrow excepts the pace despite the heavy state of the ground, was remarkably fast, and for some time there was little to choose between the teams. The United, forwards had however, most chances of popping at goal, but they were generally erratic and Muir often cleeared with case. A swift shot from Kirwan was followed by another from Proudfoot, both being ably dealt with by Kingsley, and at the other end and Stevenson was only a trife wide of the mark with a header from a pass by Rogers. Then followed a nicely concerted movement initiated by Crompton. The ball was put to Chadwick, who gave to Kirwan with the result that Proudfoot met his centre and crashed the ball into the net after play had been in progess half an hour. Three minutes late Jackson only feeble kicked out after Kirwan had tested Kingsley, and Proudfoot pouncing on the ball added a second point with a swift rising shot that gave the custodian no chance of clearing. Nothing further was adopted up to the interval, when Everton were leading by two goals to nil. On resuming the United made better progess against the slope then they had previously done when it was in their favour and by the manner in which they set about their work it was early apparent they were bent upon forcing the game. Still Schofield had a chance of improving matters for his side, but shot past, and directly afterwards Crompton was ruled offside before putting the ball into the net. Then followed a fine movement by Aitken and Wardrope, and on the ball being centred, Stevenson with a beautiful low shot, drove into the net close to the upright. Muir with a desperate effort only just failing to reach the ball, the heavy ground preventing him getting off his mark in time to save. This success was greeted with tremendous cheers, and for some time the United forwards appeared to have complete command of the play until they approached the last line of defence where they were frequently kept in check. Stevenson made a strong appeal for a goal, as the result of a tremendous drive but the ball had rebounded from the upright, and their claim was not entertained. The Evertonians were now showing signs of fatigue and during the next five minutes a fusillade of shots was levelled at Muir, who dealt with every effort on the part of his opponents the most skilful fashion. Eventually Hughes put through his own goal, and the sides were again in a level footing. The subsequent play was in favour of the home side, but the backs and the custodian nicely dealt with their finishing efforts and nothing further was scored. Result Everton 2 goals United 2 goals.

January 7 1899. The Liverpool Mercury
At Goodison Park. The game opened in favour of the visitors, the Everton backs being weak, Clarke got away, and scored for Everton but Roberts equalised. Everton pressed without success. Roberts retire hurt. Half time 1 goal each. Llandudno had their full team on resuming. Bright early gave Everton the lead. The home team pressed persistently and Gee again scored. Clarke and Bright added goals and Everton won by 5 goals to 1. (Game 17). Everton: - Kitchen, goal, Turner, Crelley backs, Wolstenholmes, Stringfellow, and Ball, halfbacks, Marquis, Bright, Clarke, Barlow, and Gee forwards.

January 7 1899,. The Liverpool Mercury
The Everton directors were in a difficulty with regard to the arrangement of the team to do duty at Newcastle owing to injuries sustained by Molyneux and Bell, and at the first blush prospect of averting defeat were to say the least not very promising. To commence with. Balmer had perforce to take up the left full back position, making way for Eccles, who for the first time this season, appeared in the League team, and in the forward rank. Crompton was drafted to the centre whilst Schofield, who is the outside left of the Combination team, was relegated to the other extreme, and thus much anxiety was abroad as to how such marked changes would assert themselves. Then again, the climatic conditions rendered the ordinary heavy ground still more difficult to combat with the vagaries of which, accentuated by the abnormal slope, added to the general uneasiness so that it can be imagined that at the outset success or even partial success was a matter scarcely ever possible of attainment in the minds of the party that had the team in hand. To commence the game against the slope on the heavy ground was a further deterrent to Everton's chances, and that they survived several disaster by dint of really brilliant back play during this period, and led at the interval by two goals to nil was a feat upon which the team must be handsomely congratulate. For a visiting team to have to clear a lead with half the game over with conditions of ground then more favourable, is undoubtedly a smart achievement and there could be no question that had more skilful generalship been brought into play, they would have returned to the banks of the Mersey with full complement of points, instead of division. A complete change of tactics was essential to effect a coup, but instead of this forthcoming, the players proceeded on stereotyped methods that allowed their opponents to force the game and ultimately get upon equal terms. To discount the merit of the United team would be palpably unfair, for they had more than an equal share of the play, were more speedy on the ball, and in the latest stages certainly displayed better staying power, and might against a less resourceful custodian than Muir have completely outdistanced their opponents. Still, there are other points to be considered, and when as above stated, a team has a substantial lead with half the game over, manourvring at the expense of finesse in these days of keen competition is an essential to success. Time after time were the Everton halves and backs in the second portion, when play was closely confined to their quarters seen in attempts to trick their opponents, when a powerful kick would have brought about a complete change, especially as the United forwards were at this juncture showing a bold and speedy front. Repeated changes of venue was necessary, and had tactics of the nature been resorted to there could have only been one ending to the game. Three out of the four goals scored were the outcome of brilliant efforts, and singularly the home side obtained their equalising point at the expense of Hughes, the Everton left half, who undoubtedly put the ball into his own net. The Everton forwards on the whole gave a good account of themselves though there was a weakness noticeable in the centre and the outside right, which under the existing circumstances gave little occasion for surprise. Crompton lacked the dash he displayed in the Corinthian match but at the same time he put in several fine touches, especially in the first half, one of which eventually led to Proudfoot opening the scoring account after half an hour's play. The left wing pair were the most successful and when in possession it required the best efforts of the ex-Evertonian Lindsay to keep them out, and with Proudfoot in such good shooting form, it was unfortunate that he was not better supported on his right. With the exception of Hughes, who played a rather reckless game, the halfback division did exceptionally well, and the same remark aptly applies to the backs and custodian, who several times under unlooked for conditions, cleverly kept out the opposing forwards. Rogers and Stevenson the United right wing pair were concerned in most of the attacks on the Everton goal, and Aitken, the inside left was often prominent. Still the line was generally erratic in final efforts, and this was distinctly noticeable in the first half, when the slope of the ground was in their favour. Singular to state, they were seen to much better advantage in the second portion, when their complete knowledge of the perculian state of the ground was evident, and by their go ahead persistency in this period they fully deserved their success. Ghee the right wing halfbacks played a magnificent game all through and both Lindsay and Jackson were reliable, while Kingsley in goal negotiated several difficult shots with good judgement.

January 9, 1899. Glasgow Herald.
Though playing on their own ground the Newcastle United men were not though to have a great chance in this match, for while they stand last but one on the league table, Everton are only second to Aston Villa. However, a good fight was looked forward to and though the weather was very disagreeable some 12,000 spectators turned up to witness the play. On the Newcastle United side MacFarlane played instead of Peddie at centre, while Eccles and Crompton appeared for Everton. Newcastle United had the advantage of playing down hill during the first half, and at the outset both goals were attacked in turn. Nothing resulted, however, until the game had been in progress half an hour, when Proudfoot scored for Everton. Soon afterwards the same player added a second point. Then Newcastle attacked vigorously, but severely good chances were allowed to slip by, and they could not score, so that at the interval Everton held a lead of two goals to none. On resuming Newcastle United attacked strongly, and in less than five minutes Stevenson, had scored for them. Muir failing down in trying to save. Considering the state of the ground the play was very fast, and Newcastle were having by far the best of matters. Time after time Muir saved in remarkable style, and when it looked as though Everton would win Balmer put the ball through his own goal, thus Newcastle United another point and making the game a draw of two goals each.

January 16 1899. The Liverpool Mercury
The return League game between these clubs was played at Goodison Park, in the presence of some 12,000 spectators. The first contest at Preston ended in a draw, neither side having been able to score, and as the visitors were in rather a precarious position on the League table, it was generally anticipated that they would put a big effort forward to secure a point. There was changes on both sides Everton giving a trial to Vaughan of Rhyl, at centre half, while Crompton was included again, and Kitchen filled Muir's position in goal, the latter player suffering from an injury to the wrist received at Newcastle on the previous Saturday. On the North side Dunn and McIntyre displaced. Tait and Blythe and at 2-46 the teams under the control of Mr.Strawson, took the field as follows: - Everton: - Kitchen, goal, Balmer and Molyneux backs, Boyle, Vaughan and Taylor (captain), halfbacks Bell Proudfoot, Crompton Chadwick, and Kirwan, forwards. Preston North End: - McBride, goal, Dunn and Holmes, backs, Eccleston, Sanders, and Russell, halfbacks McIntyre, Pratt, Brown Murray, and Halsall forwards.

Everton won the toss, and were at once completely overrun by the North End inside men, Murray eventually having none to face but Kitchen, when he failed badly by shooting high over the bar. A short stay in the visitors half was followed by another determined assault upon the Everton defence, Balmer this time coming to the rescue in able fashion. Still there was no mistaking the earnestness of the Preston forwards, who for some time had a big share of the play, and had there been the slightest weakness shown by the home backs, they must have early on opened the scoring account. Eventually Chadwick removed the scene of operations, and enabled Bell to get in a parting shot, but this went wide, and for some minutes there were several exchanges in, and about midfield. The Everton left wing pair were than prominent, and several fine centre from this quarter might have been put to good account but for the extremely close attentions paid to Crompton and Proudfoot by Dunn, who stopped at nothing to clear his goal. McBride ultimately saved from Chadwick and Crompton, following, which a smart run down and centre by Halsall called for Kitchean's best efforts. The ball was put well forward, and in a further onslaught on the North End defence Sanders was injured but resumed play. Shortly following, Crompton had the better of Dunn, and racing past him, dribbled the ball close to the goalmouth where he shot in, and thus opened Everton's account. So far the play had been slightly in favour of the visitors, but they could make little progess when the last Everton lines was reached, for both Balmer and Molynex were equal to all demands made upon them. In a further attack on the visitors goal there was looseness in defence and Kirwan taking a pass from Bell, added a second goal. From this point up to the interval the Evertonians had more of the play. Nothing further was added, and Everton resumed play with a lead of 2 goals to nil. The game favoured Everton at the outset, McBride being tested with a dropping shot from Taylor but a few minutes later Halsall was in a favourable portion when Balmer cleverly dispossessed him, and put his forwards once again in possession. Meanwhile Sanders and McIntyre had changed places, but no beneficial results accrued, and on the whole the home side continued to hold the lead. Much of this was undoubtedly due to the fine play of the backs. Balmer in particular, but from a free kick in there was prospects of the Northerners reducing the margins. The kick was powerfully cleared by Everton's right back, and then Crompton was given offside. The visiting forwards exerted themselves to the full, and in quick succession Kitchen was tested with a couple of clever shots from Brown and Halsall. These were cleared in forcible fashion, and for some little time the Everton left wing pair, with Crompton put in many fine touches of play. Towards the close North End made a desperate effort to score, but their final shot lacked power and as no further scoring was forthcoming Everton won a fairly good game by 2 goals to nil.

January 16 1899. The Liverpool Mercury
Played in Wynnstay Park, Rushton. Everton were strongly represented. Whilst the Druids were minus his services of two good men, George Richards, and Walker Davies. The first half was stubbornly contested, corners falling to both teams, but nothing substantial resulted. Finally however, from a long shot, Stringfellow scored for Everton and Barlow got a second goal. Ralph Jones secured a goal for the Druids. Final Result Everton 2 goals Druids 1. (Game 18). Everton: - Jowett goal, Eccles, and Crelly backs, Wolstenholmes, Turner (e), and Hughes, halfbacks, Marquis, Bright, Oldham, Barlow, and Gee, forwards.

January 16 1899. The Liverpool Mercury
Time was when a visit from Preston North End would have filled any enclosure in the country to overflowing, but matters have gone badly during recent years with the first winners of the League Championship, and instead of figuring at the head of the tabulated results, they are, and have been for some time struggling to avert the gnminy of being relegated to the organisation comprosing the second Division. This decadence of prowess was made manifest by the attendance at Goodison Park, where although the day was enjoyably fine not more than twelve thousand spectators were assembled. This of course in some localities would be looked upon with the livelicat satisfaction, but in comparison with the customary gates at either Anfield or Goodison Park must be considered as only moderate. The game reached about the same level, and the second half was dreary and uninteresting, an occasional flashy movements failing to relieve the Monotony of the proceedings. Everton were successful by two clear goals, but although these points were obtained very cleverly it would be too much to say that there was this margin between the merits of the respective elevens. The visitors were unsteady in front of goal, and finished several capable efforts in execrable fashion. Right away from the initial propulsion of the leather did the Preston forwards carry the ball to within a half score of yards of Kitchen, bewildering the whole of the home defence, and when in this favorable position, a wild shot spoiled the finest opportunity of the afternoon. There was no brilliance exhibited by the home forwards either, in fact, the attack all round was mediocre. But Everton excelled in their determination when near goal, thus furnishing a distinct contrast to the many puerile efforts of the North Enders. With this exception, there was nothing to choose between the respective forward divisions, and their efforts must be considered as disappointing. Whilst on the home side there was an even display all along the line of moderate ability. Halsall was the most prominent of the visitors, but his centres were rarely utilsed to any extent, and one shot from close range, which Kitchen repelled, was the finest effort of the afternoon. Pratt also worked hard but finished badly, and the remainders were not of the kind to create enthusiasm. The Everton front rank attacked, but raggedly, their movements suggesting a lack of harmony, which was only neutralised by additional determination to regain possession, and baffle their opponents. There was a lack of smart crisp play and beyond the clever individual efforts of Crompton, which registered the first goal there was little deserving of special comment. Everton have not been particularly strong at halfback, this season, and their latest recruit Vaughan of Rhyl, mentioned as a likely candidate for Welsh international honours, does not, on Saturday's form appear likely to strengthen this weakness. A first appearance is naturally a trying one, and it would be obviously unfair to harshly judge any player on his first display in a League game, but to reach even an average level, there would require to be a tremendous improvement in this particular instance. Boyle was the pick of this line, and got through any amount of very useful work. The other backs defended in a manner, which left little to be desired, but Balmer would do well to control himself, even when under trying conditions and ablutions of temper are not conducive to the best interests of one's side, particularly when occurring within the penalty limit. Referee Strawson dealt very leniently with an offence against Halsall, and the decision of a foul against North Enders caused some surprise. Molyneux defended with judgement, and in goal Kitchen created a very favorable impression. He had two or three very ticklish shots to deal with, and the capable manner in which he manipulated these stamped him as a reliable substitute for Muir. On the visitors side Saunders got a nasty kick at the commencement which affected his play through out, but Russell did uncommonly well, and was easily the best half. Dunn and Holmes defended strongly, the veteran only making one palpable mistake, which resulted in the first goal being registered against his side. McBride kept goal capitally, though he was distinctly fortunate in being struck with the ball twice in the second portion of the game when to deliberately save would have been impossible. Altogether Everton were fortunate in securing such a decisive verdict, for North End had an almost equal share of the play, but failed to accomplish anything tangible against the sound detence of the home side. By taking full advantage of most of their chances, Everton have more than once this season gained a couple of points after a fairly even games, and this was again demonstrated in their latest efforts.

January 23 1899. The Liverpool Mercury
The return League engagement between these local rivals was played on Saturday last, at Anfield road, and despite the unfavorable conditions that prevailed, every coign of vantage was occupied long before the advertised time of commencing operations. When the teams put on an appearance there would be fully 28,000 spectators present, and from an inspection of the ground it was quite apparent that the teams would experience the greatest difficulty in securing a foothold. The state of the turf pointed to Everton being at a disadvantage, but still the ‘'Blues'' had not previously been slow to make the most of chances that came their way, and there were many to be found that were confident of the Goodison Road party being quite capable of holding their own. The executives of the clubs placed in the field what they considered the best exponents they had at command and at three o'clock the sides under the control of Referee Barker faced as follows: - Liverpool: - Storer Captain), goal, Goldie, and Dunlop, backs, Howell Raideback, and Goldie (w) halfbacks, Cox Walker, Allan, Morgan, and Robertson, forwards. Everton: - Muir, goal, Balmer, and Molyneux, backs Boyle, Taylor (captain), and Hughes halfbacks, Bell Proudfoot, Crompton, Chadwick, and Kirwan, forwards. Play commenced, and Taylor winning the toss, secured for his side assistance of a slight breeze. On Allan setting the ball in motion, Taylor pounced upon it and drove it over the home goalline, but immediately following play was at the Everton end, which danger threatened until a free kick been awarded for a foul throw. The game was beautifully contested and despite the heavy nature of the ground, the pace was maintained at a loud pitch. The home forwards, well backed up by their halves were seen to great advantage, and it required the best efforts of the Everton defenders to prevent them getting a shot at Muir. Everton then had a turn, but a free kick given against Proudfoot spoiled a promising movement, and then, following a pretty sequence in which Allan played a prominent part, Robertson missed one of the simplest chances of opening the scoring account. For some time the Liverpool right wing pair menaced the Everton defenders, and it was not until Chadwick and Kirwan had succeeded in taking the ball to the other end, that the visiting backs had a respite. Meanwhile Raiseback and Howell had been contributing some solid work, and getting down again Cox whipped the ball across and on it gliding from Allan's foot to Walker the last named player put it into the net after play had been in progess ten minutes. Muir had no chance of saving, and on the ball being again set in motion the Everton custodian was beset with a shot from Walker though this time it was safely negotiated. Matters then looked promising for Everton especially so when a free kick was granted in close proximity to the Liverpool goal. Chadwick however was unfortunate in having his shot charged down and following a smart attempt from Bell, Kirwan finished up by placing the ball wide. In close following, Muir had to run out to prevent Morgan from getting possession, and Kirwan again got away, only to be fairly at the finish. Directly afterwards, Proudfoot shot against a Liverpool back and a fruitless corner kicks ensued. Then followed a spirited attack on the home goal, but strive as they would the visiting forwards could not get a shot in the right direction. Bell failed badly, and Boyle only just missed from a free kick. The pressure merited an equalising point, but subsequently the Liverpoolians got under weigh again, and Muir brought off a magnificent save from Robertson. Liverpool maintained the advantage up to the interval, which they were leading by 1 goal to nil. The sun shone out brilliantly when the teams reappeared, and the Everton players were considerably handicapped in having to face its glaring rays. The Liverpool forwards immediately settled down to good work, and during the early stages Cox was at fault in not converting a fine cross shot from Robertson. Raisebeck tried along one without success, and on the Everton right taking up the running a little feeling was shown by Bell and Goldie, which called for a lecture from the referee. Getting to work again Crompton was a afforded a good opening, but shot badly and then followed some smart play by Chadwick and Kirwan, but against Howell and Goldie the pair could not make much progess. Still the Everton forwards were often in possession, and on one occasion Crompton might have equalised had he not dallied. Long pressure on the home goal was at length relieved by a powerful kiok from Dunlop, which led up to Morgan testing Muir, who brought off a marvellous save low down at the corner of the net. The Everton backs at this juncture were rather shaky, but fortunately disaster was averted, and then came the most brilliant shot seen so far in the contest. Kirwan was the exeutant, and as Storer had one partially saved it, an opening was made for Proudfoot, but once again the chance was allowed to go begging. A couple of corners kicks brought Everton no advantage, but further pressure followed though no avail. In the closing stages the Liverpoolians exerted themselves, and a minute from time Cox dribbled past Hughes and Moyneux, to a short distance from goal, when he sent the ball across, and Robertson put it past Muir. This was the last point scored, and Liverpool, who had played better football won by 2 goals to nil.

January 23 1899. The Liverpool Mercury
At Everton. Everton were not long in opening the score through Gee. Owen scored another from a penalty and the same player struck the crossbar from another penalty. Bright added a third, and Oldham score twice. Everton leading at the interval by five goals to nil. Resuming Everton assumed the upper hand, but the Buxton defences appeared to have improved. Gee a sixth goal, and Marquis a Seventh. Result Everton seven, Buxton nil. (Game 19). Everton: - Kitchen goal, Turner (e), and Crelley, backs, Wolstenholmes, Stringfellow, and Owen, halfbacks, Marquis, Bright, Oldham, Barlow, and Gee, forwards.

January 23 1899. The Liverpool Mercury
The local championship was settled at Anfield on Saturday afternoon. Liverpool securing the honours after a splendidly fought engagement. These fixtures between out two premier teams from the tit bits of the season, and as such are early anticipated by the enthusiastic partisans of each club. One naturally expects from organisation holding the creditable position in the League which are at present assigned to Everton and their rivals football of the highest quality, and the two struggles for supremacy which have been waged this season at Goodison Park and Anfield respectively have furnished this most desirable result. Although excitement is bound to rule strongly in the breast of the most impassioned player in contests of this nature, it must in justice be admitted that in each of the above mentioned games there has been practically nothing of a rough nature perpetrated, the men having evidently determined to play the game in the fairest manner possible. For this they deserve the thanks of the football public, and their most recent exhibition excelled anything previously accomplished, despite the wretched conditions which prevailed. The heavy rains in the earlier part of the week had transformed the arena into a mud heap of the finest quality, and the slimy, treacherous surface suggested all matter of eventualities, but despite the drawback the men kept their balance remarkably well. A crowd over 20,000 people grazed across the expense of deciate surface for fully an hour prior to the commencement of the game, and though rain descended unceasingly, the elements, as if desiring to condone for past offences, relences relented, and before the players sallied forth, a welcome break in the clouds unheard in a fine afternoon. The ground was well packed in every part, and the majority of the crowd had a comfortable view of the game, which is more than can be said of those whose duty it is to make known to the general public the deeds of renown preformed on this enclosure. Even Torquemade chief of inquisitors would have hailed the structure courteously designated a Perspex with extreme delight as some new species of nurture, and it is probably a kowledge of this that causes the officials in charge to demand a scrutiny, in comparison with which Government red tapeish falls into complete insignificance, from all who would enter therein. With the excise of a little tact and discretion there would be a more satisfactory result all round. Verbum sap. But to the game, briefly summarised, proceeded thus. Losing the toss, which gave his rival but little advantage, Storer defended the Anfield road goal, and it was early seen that Liverpool adapting themselves the better to the amphibious turf. A slight diversion, caused by the eager crowd forcing the barriers near the Oakfield road end of the field, was quickly settled, and the invades had the pleasure of witnessing Cox make rings round. Hughes and centre right into the goalmouth. Where Allan, either judiciously or otherwise, tapped to Walker, who was practically compelled to score, this occurring ten minutes after the start. When the uproar had somewhat subsided the game resumed, and gradually Everton adopted more methodical attempts to equalise. After Muir had twice saved in characteristic style, Everton chance came from a roaring centre, beautifully placed from the left wing, but to the chargin of the Blues supporters. Proudfoot mulled, and ere he could recover, Dunlop had dashed in, and with a might kick removed the danger. At this juncture the referee found it necessary to administer a word of caution to Hughes, who had found Cox much too clever, and afterwards the Everton half paid more attention to the ball, with the result that his play vastly improved. Despite the desperate endeavors of the Blues their opponents appeared to have the game well in hand their defence acting superbly, whilst the forwards combined in really excellent fashion. The interval was almost due when Robertson after many vain efforts to elude the vigilance of Boyle, at length baffied the attentions of the halfback, and when within ten yards of Muir drove with tremendous force. Clever though this effort was it did not achieve the desired result, for Muir managed to reach the ball but could only place it a yard or so in front of his charge, where a certain goal went begging for want of a final touch, and Everton breathed freely as the ball was driven into midfield. At half time Liverpool was the proud possession of a lead of one goal and they resumed in such a lively manner that an increased score appeared probable. The Everton defence acted very well, and Muir performed valiant feats, and just when the Blues were beginning to lose hope. Kirwan pounced on a long return and for the first time beating Goldie, he whizzed across beautiful shot, at which Storer could only gaze helplessly, and with Proudfoot but a few yards from the goalmouth a score seemed imminent when amidst a roar of the disappointment, the opening was again missed, and it was evident that Everton's star was not in the ascendant. Time was rapidly approaching, and a beautiful centre from Cox-one of the many fine efforts put forth by the right winger during the afternoon-had been headed into goal by Allan, where it struck on the line, the mud thus doing duty at custodian where Muir could not possibly have got to the ball, and crowds were leaving the ground, when the outside man was again placed in possession. He deftly kept Hughes and Molyneux dangling near him when a sudden dart to the left gave him a clear course with only Muir to defeat. Approaching sufficiently near, he whipped the ball into goal, but a yard wide of the line. This was too good a chance to be lost, and Robertson speeding across put his foot to the leather ere Muir could reach it and banged it into the rigging. Everton had no time to retrieve this double disaster, and had to acknowledge themselves well beaten by two clear goals. Liverpool deserved their victory, and the margin of two goals done no more than represent their superiority. There was not a weak spot in the eleven. The greatest disparately between the two teams was in the forward diversion, the Liverpool five displaying perfect command of the ball, and combining with each other and their halves in excellent style whilst the Everton van rarely got going in concerted fashion, and found plunging through the mud a more difficult task than did their rivals whose superior weight served them in good stead. Every forward on the winning side was seen at advantage. Allan was inclined to adhere tortensciously to the leather, but otherwise accomplished some hard work, and kept the two wings well employed. These adjuncts were excellent Cox viewing with Robertson in his accurate centres, whilst Walker worked like a Trojan and Morgan never gave a better display. There was harmously and method in their movements, and the Everton defence was often out manoceuvred by the skilful juggling of the Liverpool right wing. The Everton front rank could make but little headway against the trio of Liverpool halves and they were decidedly disappointing. They were overpowered both in weight and ability, and did not take at all kindly to the mud. Not one excelled, but some were worse than others. The inside men were weak, and those on the outside had no chance, whilst on two occasions-one in each half- a score should with a little steadiness have been gained. They rarely boded danger, and with few exceptions were beaten ere they could get a shot at Storer. The Liverpool halves furnished the foundation of their sides's success, and it was here that the chief strength of the team lay. Howell in particular was ever in the midst of the fray and must be awarded premier position though the splendid work of Raiseback and W.Goldie left nothing to be denied. The whole line gave as due a display of halfbacks tactics as need be wished for, and Everton could do but little against such as array of excellence. On the side of the Blues. Taylor was the shinning light, and for downright hard work effective tackling and unflagging energy, had no superior on the field. Boyle also rendered capable assistance particularly in the first half, and only deteriorated in the closing stages of the second but Hughes was fairly puzzled with Walker and Cox, and accomplished more useful work in covering the backs than in aiding the front rank. At full back Liverpool's superiority was again manifest speedy and strong in their returns were Goldie and Dunlop and with each man at his best, no wonder Everton found it hard matter to score. Balmer was the better of the Everton pair and considering the amount of work he had to wade through, did very well indeed. Molyneux was not as reliable, and though glimpse of his usually judicious methods was witnessed at times, on the whole his play suffered in comparison with that of his partner. To Muir the thanks of Everton are due for his galliant efforts in keeping the score down to which respectable dimensions. He defended his charge in admirable style, and repelled all manner of shots in a cool effective fashion. He had far more work to accomplish than Storer, and did it with conspicuous success. Storre's position was a very easy one, and what might have happened under other circustances does not concern this relation. Thus Liverpool have created two records this season; they have defeated Everyone at Goodison park for the first time, and have also been the first to gain the four points out of one season's League game between them and their rivals across the park. Liverpool now rank second in the League table, with Everton in close addition, and the remaining fixtures of the respective clubs will simply be productive of more interest than ever in the light of the close race for superior position in the League. May the meetings of the pair always provide as fine a game as was witnessed at Anfield on Saturday last.

EVERTON 3 JARROW 1 (Fac Game 35)
January 30 1899. The Liverpool Mercury
Owing to the counter attraction at Anfield there was only a moderate attendance at Goodison Park to witness the contest between the above clubs in the first round of the English Cup competition for there would not be more than 3,000 present when the teams faced as follows: - Everton: - Muir, goal, Balmer, and Molyneux, backs, Boyle Taylor (captain), and Wolstenholmes halfbacks, Bell Proudfoot, Crompton Chadwick and Kirwan, forwards. Jarrow: - Cassidy goal, Kent, and Gosling, backs, Miller, Appleton, and Blythe, halfbacks, Goodchild, Frost, McDonald, Simms, and Molly forward. After the recent frost the ground was very hard and slippery. The visitors commenced operations and immediately took play to the Everton line where Goodchild put over. Play followed in midfield when some clever passing between Molly and Simms caused Muir to run out in order to save his charge, following which the Everton right wing pair were evidence, but the final shot from Bell was very faulty. Crompton then headed over the bar from a well-placed corner. After further play in the Everton half, Chadwick made progess and Kirwan put in a splendid centre, which Cassidy met and forcibly created and once again the visitors were seen in possession. A shot from Simms rebounded from the crossbar, luckly for Everton, and up to this point the Northerns were certainly the more dangerous lot. The Everton defenders were anxious for some time, but eventually the forwards were busy round Cassidy's charge. Finally effect however, was of as very elementary character, and frequent chances were allowed to slip by. At length the ball came out to Taylor, who with a low swift shot opened the scoring account. Following this the home defenders kept the ball well forward and for some time play waged in front of the visitors goal, good attempts by Chadwick. Crompton and Kirwan only missing the mark by the merest shave. At the interval the score stood Everton 1 goal Jarrow nil. On resuming the ball was quickly taken down a smart pass from Crompton being taken in Chadwick who put on a second goal from Everton. Severe pressure followed and the monotony was broken by Molly who raced cleverly down, only too finally put the ball wide of the mark. Cassidy than saved a terrific shot from Chadwick, and a moment later was almost beaten by Crompton, when struck the crossbar, but on Proudfoot meeting the rebound a third goal was registered. A long spell of pressure followed to no purpose, as the visiting custodian and his backs luckly defended admirably and during one of the few moments towards Muir, Molly had the better of Balmer, his centre resulting in Muir being defeated after having partially saved. No further points were scored, and Everton won a rather uninteresting game by 3 goals to 1.

January 30 1899. The Liverpool Mercury
The task of Everton was generally admitted to be one of the lightest of the series, yet at the close of the game, they held but the comparatively small lead of two goals. It was a game in which the sides displayed directly opposite methods, and as often happens, the less inexperienced exponents gave considerable trouble to the Leaguers, and by their go ahead persistency kept down scoring to such narrow proportions. The Northerns set about their work in real earnest, and by their strong kicking in close following of the ball were often seen in the proximity of Muir's charge, and, indeed, might with a little steadiness when in front of goal have opened the scoring long before the home continent. The Evertonians were inclined to run no risks, and treated matters with comparative coolness, but play was well advanced before Taylor put in a long shot that found the mark. Still, the home forwards gave a very mediocre display, and missed easy chances with tantalising frequency; and as if to show up prominently their weakness in this respect, the backs were often participating in the role of forwards and at one period vied with each other in their attempts to score. In the second half the visitors were evidently labouring under the strain of the first portion of the proceedings, and rarely indeed did they cross the halfway line. Still their rearguard defended admirably and thus compensated for the shortcomings of those in front. In fact, the defensive portion of the Northerners team was exceptionally good and the narrow margin of Everton's victory forcibly testifies of this. Both rear divisions had plenty of work on hand, and during the afternoon several capital shots were sent in which were ably negotiated by the custodian. Cassidy, the Jarrow keeper, was very resourceful, and on his display, together with the sound defence of Kent and Gosling at full back, it is small wonder that the team have taken so prominent a position in their own competition, as well as forging through the qualifying stages and appearing in the rounds proper of the English Cup contest. The halfbacks were a hard working if not altogether a successful trio, and the forwards were beat represented by Molloy on the out side left who played with a cleverness that warranted inclusion in better class company. Considering the nature of the opposition, the Everton team as a body did not do themselves justice, and on the whole were inclined to underrate their opponents. They rarely exerted themselves to any pitch, and a looseness on the part of Balmer in the later stages resulted in the visitors gaining their only point, though at the same time it must be admitted that they shaped for their success in business like fashion. The Everton team are to undergo a course of away from home training, and judging from recent displays they appear to require it, if further progess is to be made in the competition.