October 1898

NOTTS FOREST 0 EVERTON 0 (Game 278) October 3 1898. The Liverpool Mercury

The Everton team accompanied by Messier Davies, and Keates, directors, and R.Molyneux, secretary made the journey to Nottingham on Friday in view of what was generally considered a stubborn contest with the cupholders on the following day. Unfortunately neither side could command its full strength owing to injuries so several of the players and in this respect the Evertonians appeared to be the more severely handicapped, in as much as the necessary changes led to an almost reconstruction of the forward line. Bell filled Proudfoot's position, and Kirwan and Schofield formed the left wing, while Driver reappeared, partnering Clarke on the right. The home side were munus Spouncer, Benbow, and Ritchie, and a place was found for Suddick a recruit from the Aston Villa reserves. At 3-30 there would be about 11,000 spectators present, and the teams, under the guidance of Mr.J.Brodie, took up their positions as follows: - Everton: - Muir, goal, Balmer (w), and Molyneux, backs, Boyle, Owen (captain), and Taylor, halfbacks, Clarek, Driver, Bell, Kirwan, and Schofield, forwards. Notts Forest: - Allsopp, goal, Iremonger, and Wragg backs, Forman, McPherson, and Norris, halfbacks, Bradshaw, Richards, Suddick, Capes, and McInnes, forwards . Owen won the toss, and immediately following the commencement of play the Forest right wing looked like getting through, as Molyneux misjudged his kick. Fortunately Balmer got quickly across with the result that the visitors took up a movement when resulted in a corner kick. Allsopp cleared, and for some minutes rather ragged play was witnessed in midfield. On one occasion, McInnes executed a smart run down and centred, but Suddick was at fault, and an attack by Kirwan at the other end caused Allsopp to handle a difficult shot. Still, there was little life in the play, and it was only on one occasion that much interest was manifested in the proceedings. A free kick against Balmer looked ominous, as the infringement took place in close proximity to goal, but nothing resulted, and from the clearance Clarke made trucks to the home end. The ball eventually came to Boyle, who from a difficult position sent in a beautiful shot, when little wide of the mark. Several corners followed to both sides, but finishing efforts, and lack of dash spoiled otherwise good play and the interval was reached without either goal being captured. On resuming the Forest right wing put in good work, and was ably backed up by Forman, but both Balmer and Molyneux were in good form and often disposed of several dangerous centres with good judgement. Kirwan was dispossessed when above to test Allsop and a shot from Schofield did not cause the custodian much anxiety. Play continued in desultory fashion, attempts at scoring being exceptionally weak, and it was not until near the close that much determination was noticeable in the movements of the players. Then Bell was unlucky in having a smart shot charged down and Richards, when right in front, shot high over the bar. Towards the close Everton pressed, but could not score, and the game ended in a draw of no goals.



October 3 189.8 The Liverpool Mercury

At Goodison Park. A capital game was seen in the first half, the sides being evenly matched. The play was fast both sets of backs showing a capital defence. Oldham struck the Tranmere bar, and Barlow scored. Lloyd equalising before the interval. 1 goal each. Resuming Everton outplayed the Rovers, Oldham scoring four points and Barlow two. The Rovers seldom passed the half way line, and Everton won by 7 goals to 1. (Placed 1 st , game 5, won 5, Lost 0, Draw 0, For 33, Against 2, Points 10)



October 5 1898. The Liverpool Mercury

Owing to injuries to several of their players it was with no little trepidation that the Everton club made the journey to Nottingham to oppose the Cup holders to the first of the season's league encounter. That the team succeeded to obtaining an equal share of honours must have been exceedingly gratifying to their supporters under the existing circumstances, and in fact had there been more close following up of the ball and more decisive method when in good position, the ‘'Blues'' might easily have scored full points. With one notable exception the towards left the opposing banks severely alone, and with an average amount of dash infused into their play they must easily have secured victory. The most capable efforts came from Bell, who acquitted himself creditably in the centre forward position, and his good work was well seconded by Kirwan, but none of the others did much to arouse enthusiasm. This from an Everton point of view. was much to be regretted, for the Forest rarely looked like penetrating the visitors defence, and had the necessary dash in the movements of the opposing attack been forthcoming, there could have been only one solution to the game. The play of the halfbacks reached a very satisfactory standard, and there was little indeed to choose between any of the two. In defence, Owen was always about, and Taylor one of his best games, while Boyle left nothing to be desired, and with a more capable lot in front of them the issue must have been determined in Everton's favour early on in the game. Balmer improved upon his recent displays, but has not yet approximated to his standard of last season, while Moyneux gave another cool and collected display in front of Muir. His rackling and kicking were excellent all through, and should he maintain his form of the past few weeks it will be questionable if there is a more capable player in his opposing in the League. Muir had a few ticklish shots to deal with but on the whole he was not severely pressed. The respective defences almost without exception prevailed over the attack, and both sides could have done with a few forwards of the go ahead character in order to put some life into the contest. Bradshaw and McInnes, the Forest wingmen, at times put in capital work, and had they had a fair amount of assistance from the inside men they must have made matters lively for their opponents. Suddick the new centre forward, late of Aston Villa Reserves, was not a success, and gave place to Richards in the second half with no better result. The halfbacks played an untiring game, in fact, the whole can test seemed to be a trial of strength between the opposing halves, who maintained a big share of the play. The full back got through their work well, and like Muir, Allsop was rarely put to great difficulties. Taking the game all through the quality of play reached but a moderate standard, and had Everton been fully represented a couple of points might easily have been secured. The Forest were short of three of their players, namely, Spouncer, Benlow, and Ritchie, but the necessary changes were not of so sweeping a character as those of their opponents, whose forward line was almost completely reconstructed. It was a disappointing game, but the balance might easily have been turned in Everton's favour had the forwards tackled the Forest backs with more persistency.


10 October, 1898. Star, New Zealand

The Glasgow Rangers have just brought “Johnny Holt” from Everton. They are paying Everton £300 down for him, and Jonnie is to receive £6 10s per week all the year round for, perhaps, in all, about two month's steady work out of the twelve.


October 10 1898. The Liverpool Mercury

About 12,000 spectators assembled on the Everton enclosure to witness the contest between these teams. The home side were still without the services of Chadwick, Proudfoot, Gee, and Harley, and the reserves team was consequently again drawn upon. At 2-30 the sides took the field as follows: - Everton: - Muir, goal, Balmer (w), and Molyneux, backs, Boyle, Owen (captain), and Taylor halfbacks Clarke, Bell, Oldham, Kirwan and Driver, forwards. Bolton Wanderers: - Sutcliffe, goal, Somerville, and Lockhart, backs, Davies, Brown, and Freebairn, halfbacks, Carr, Millar, Nicholl, Wright, and Gilligan, forwards.

During the first few minutes of the game both goals had narrow escapes particularly the Everton citadel. Muir brought off a magnificent save from Millar, after Wright and Gillgan had run the ball drove, and shortly afterwards the last named player hit the upright, only to find the rebound cleared by Balmer. The Wanderers continued to be aggressive, but at length Driver got away, and forced a corner off Somerville, the same player clearing, and putting his forwards in possession. A determined raid was then made upon Muir's charge. Both Balmer and Molyneux failed to get the ball away, and Carr sent in a clinking shot. Muir brought off a splendid save, following which Boyle put Oldham in possession, and following some clever passing between that player and Kirwan, the centre forward sent in a terrific shot that gave Sutcliffe no chance of clearing. This success came after play had been in progess some 14 minutes. Getting to work again, some very interesting play followed, and on two occasions the Everton goal looked like certain capture. In one clearance from Muir the ball cannoned off Wright, and was about to roll into the corner of the net when Molyneux just got up in time divert the course and prevent certain downfall. The Everton forwards then put on pressure, Sutcliffe several times being called upon, and when close upon the interval a free kick was awarded the Wanderers inside the twelve yards line, it look odds on the team being again on level terms. However the ball was driven into the net without touching a player in transit and at half time the Evertonians had the advantage by 1 goal to nil. Shortly after that resumption, the Everton goal had another escape from the right wing, but settling down the home forwards put in several fine touches of play that caused much anxiety to Sutcliffe. Clark forced a corner kick without avail, and a few minutes later the visiting custodian brought off a couple of splendid saves in quick succession from Driver and Clark. Much headway was made by the home side owing to the kicking out tactics adopted by the visiting backs, who were by this time apparently overpowered, but their shortcomings were ably covered by Sutcliffe, who continued to save in brilliant fashion. Two shots from Taylor and Driver called for the custodian best efforts, and with play drawing to a close the visitors made a determined effort to get though, only to find both Balmer and Molyneux in a thoroughly vigilant mood. The home side did not relax their efforts in the least, but no further scoring was forthcoming, and the game ended with the score Everton 1 goal Bolton Wanderers nil.



No details.


October 10, 1898. Glasgow Herald.

Everton were expected to have a good chance of beating Bolton Wanderers at Goodison Park, and the 15,000 people present on the ground saw the home side in excellent form. Staring at a good pace, the Wanderers at once attacked, but after the home goal had been in danger for some time, Everton broke away, and Oldham scored a splendid shot, which Sutcliffe had no chance of saving. After this Everton had much the best of the game, and frequently attacked strongly, many good shots being sent, but Sutcliffe, who was in great form, prevented any more scoring before halt-time, when Everton lead by one goal to nil. For some time after the resumption the game was fairly even, but subsequently Everton attacked, and the Bolton goalkeeper saved splendid shots from Clark, Divers, and Taylor. Relief at length, and the Bolton forwards had a turn of attacking. Their shots, however, were lacking in string, and were easily kept out. Nothing further was scored and Everton won by one goal to nil.



October 10 1898. The Liverpool Mercury

The Everton club despite the difficulties under which it is laboring continues to triumphant and the latest success with graditically a reserve forward line must have been alike gratifying to the clubs managers, and their mumerous supporters. In recent games the Bolton wanderers have been rendering an excellent amount of themselves, and probably the meeting between the clubs had never before had a more open character than that on Saturday last. Absence of players with such credentials as those possessed by Chadwick and Proudfoot, not to mention the abilities of Gee and Harley was sufficient to cause much disquietude to the governing body, but it has become pretty well patent that the club has an exceptionally capable reserve force which will undoubtedly serve them to good purpose. The enforced rearrangement of the team week by week, owing to injuries and other causes, has after all served a useful purpose, for the numerous followers of the club have had an opportunity of witnessing the performance of the majority of the playing staff, and, as satisfactory results have been achieved on almost all hands, it speaks well for the competency of the present officials of the club. As a team of ‘'tries'' the club stands almost without equal, and though this has been manifested all alone, it was never more apparent than on Saturday last, when in the second portion of the game their opponents were thoroughly worm down and eventually beaten by a goal to nil. During the first quarter of an hour one could scarcely hope to see a better exposition of the code, for both forwards, and after the nicer points of the game were promthently before the spectators, and it was during this period that a magnificent effort brought about the only tangible point scored in the game. At this early stage both goals might easily have been captured on more than one occasion, and there could be no questioning the fact that the Bolton Wanderers were decidedly unlucky in failing to open their account. They effected several brilliant saves, but were more than once tempted out of goal, and all but defeated. Up to the interval the play continued to be brimful of interesting incidents, and it was generally voted as the most satisfactory 45 minutes play that has been seen in the enclosure so far this season. During the second half the high tension had told its tale upon the visitors, who certainly lagged in marked contrast to their opponents, and but for the plucky stand by their backs, and the unlimited resource of the custodian, they must have suffered a more propounded trouncing. Taking a broad view of the game. It was satisfactory all through-that the Evertonians emerged with the narrowest possible margin in their favour was a fitting reflex upon the general run of the play. Coming to the players, and first dealing with the Everton forwards none did better work than Kirwan, who all through was keen on the ball, exceptionally accurate in passing, while his finishing touches were always on the mark of Oldham late of Accrington, and he did well in the earlier portion of the contest, when he was credited with the only goal scored, a magnificent shot by the way, and it is only natural to anticipate that he will be given further trials. He came in for a rude shaking just after the resumption, which had a deterrious effect on his subsequently play, but he appears to be just the player that is wanted, for with his movements there is the necessary dash required by a centre forward, while be appears to have a good idea as to when and how to shot. Unfortunately Bell was somewhat off colour, and the inside forward play, which as the outset looked like wearing down the Bolton defence gradually deteriorated, but there was a\ gradual levelling up of matters by Clarke and Driver on the wings and both these players improved upon their performance of last Saturday. The most proficient exponent on the field was Richard Boyle, and none can testify more forcibly to this than the clever Bolton leftwing pair. With almost a minimum of effort he got through an enormous amount of work, executed in perfect fashion, and there can be no gainsaying the fact that he is a most invaluable servant to the club. Taylor also did well, in fact his display on Saturday was his best so far this season, and there was scarcely a loophole of any adverse criticism. Owen was the object of close attention by the Wanderers forwards, and as a consequence was not seen to much advantage in the second position of the game, but the whole line generally was a tower of strength, and here in, in the main, lay Everton's success. At full back Balmer played upto something like his form of last season, and was the better back, though little fault could be found with the performance of Molyneux who played a steady game, and on one occasion prevented certain downfall after Muir had been tempted out, and beaten. The custodian effected several brilliant saves, but as stated above, he was lucky in escaping defeat after being enticed from his charge. On the Bolton Wanderers side, most danger emanated from the left wing pair, and but for the fine resistance offered by Boyle and Balmer they must have frequently penetrated the Everton citadel. Of the halves, while brown played a clever game in the centre, none did more effective work than Davies whose efforts were untiring all through; and Lockhart at left back was on the whole a more reliable player than Somerville. Sutcliffe displayed all his old agility between the upright, and in the second half especially did he play a very important part in the afternoon's proceedings.





October 17 1898. The Liverpool Mercury

The first of the League contest between these clubs took place at Derby on Saturday, but the game was sopported as in previous seasons, owing probably, to the visit of Everton, around 6,000 spectators present went the teams commenced operations. The teams faced as follows : - Everton: - Muir, goal, Balmer and Molyneux backs, Boyle, Owen (captain), and Taylor halfbacks, Clarke, Bell, Oldham, Kirwan, and Schofield, forward. Derby County: - Ford, goals, Methven, and Kifford, backs, Cox, Goodall (a), May halfbacks, Handley, Goodall (j), Bloomer (s), Arkesden, and McQueen, forwards. Everton, who had lost the toss, commenced operations against a stiff breeze, and in the opening stages a faulty pass from Kirwan spoiled an excellent chance of the visitors opening their scoring account. After a few minutes play, which generally ruled in favour of Everton, Arkesden passed the ball to McQueen, who had no difficulty in beating Balmer, with the result that Muir had no chance to keep out a warm shot, this success to the County coming after play had been in progess five minutes. Getting to workagain, the visitors still kept the upper hand, and following a smart save from Schofield, an exciting scrimmage ensued in front of the goalmouth, during which a player was fouled, and Owen equalised from the ensing penalty kick. This seemed to infuse new life into the movements of the Everton forwards, who repeatedly stormed the County defence, and following a pretty move by Clarke, and Bell, Oldham shot in, and the ball screwed off Ford's hands into the net thus giving Everton the lead. During the next few minutes the County forwards were particularly severe on the Everton defenders, and following a magnificent effort from Handley whose shot struck the crossbar. A.Goodall and Bloomer were only wide of the mark by the merest shave. J.Goodall was particularly busy; and kept his men well employed, and from one of a couple of corners conceded his side, Muir only just managed to get the ball away from a fine shot by A.Goodall, who had previously lost no opportunity of popping at goal when occasion came his way. Eventually Balmer was again beaten in easy fashion, and Arkesden equalised and shortly Methven put the ball through his own goal, though before the interval arrived Arkesden again defeated Muir with a beautiful shot, the score at half time being Everton 3 goals Derby County 3. The home side had the better of the game on resuming, and looked like taking the lead, but fortunately Boyle, Owen and Taylor were most reliable, and frequently starved off defeat. After about ten minutes play the Everton forwards were seen to better advantage, and a shot from Oldham was dropped by Ford, when Kirwan rushed up, and found the net for the fourth time, and not long afterwards Bell defeated the custodian with a long shot, at which a very poor attempt was made to save. With two goals ahead matters looked very promising for Everton, and they retained this lead up to nine minutes from the close, when a penalty kick was given against Boyle, and Bloomer reduced the margin of lead. Closely following the same player palpably offside, and took full advantage by making headway on the Evertonians having relaxed their efforts while appeating. The referee ignored their claim and by this time the centre forward was in capital position, and easily defeated Muir. Nothing further was scored, and the game resulted in a draw. Everton 5 goals, Derby County 5.



October 17 1898. The Liverpool Mercury

Although the Everton team succeeded in securing a point at Derby on Saturday, they never had a more favorable opportunity presented than of establishing something like a record score in First League football, but on Saturday and almost without exception the five goals recorded by the County were obtained in a fashion that one can scarcely reconcile with league football. The first three goals obtained by the home side were comparative grits by Balmer, who was most ill all through the contest, and the two remaining goals, were certainly the result of very questionable decisions by the referee. Up to nine minutes from time the Everton were leading by five goals to three, and success was practically secured. Unfortunately Boyle, in tackling, fouled his man, and though the infringement distinctly took place outside the penalty lines, as was asserted by the linesman, who was on the spot, the referee awarded the penalty, after consulting the other linesman, who was not in so favorable a position for adjudicating on the point. The result of this adverse ruling brought the County within a goal of their opponents, and then followed a glaring case of offside, which resulted in the teams being once again on level terms. With regard to the last point the Evertonians were greatly to blame in relaxing their efforts on an appeal, for almost the whole of the defenders eased up while Bloomer threated his way through, and put on the equalising point. It was a truly remarkable game, though but for the prolific scoring it would have been completely divested of any interest. Beynold the forwards, and halfway line there was very little merit shown, so that one can readily understand the heavy nature of the scoring. Absentence on the Derby side owing to injuries and suspensions greatly discounted their prospects for the rear line was exceptionally weak, and it would be kinder to draw a veil over the display of the custodian, whose efforts were of the most elementary character. The whole contest was really a test of strength and ability between the opposing forwards, who fortunately grasped the situration of the weakness behind them on their respective sides, and of the attacking forces John Goodall and his men were certainly the more proficient and dangerous. Had the Everton halves been at all wanting quite a different complexion might have been put on the game, but still one cannot get beside the question that the ‘'Blues'' had never in their history so favourable an opportunity of beating their previous best record. Balmer appears to be physically unfit, and no doubt a change will be effected next Saturday, when Eccles will probably be included in the team. He is reported to be in splendid form, so that there should be no misgivings as regards the match at home on Saturday next. Coming to the players, Muir could not be blamed for the heavy score recorded against him, and it is unfortunate that his record of but four goals against him in seven previous contests should have been so badly tarnished. Molyneux had a great amount of work on hand, and done through it the County forwards, while little fault could be found with the halves, who had an exacting task, set them creditably. Oldham again did well but the line as a body only reached a fair standard of efficiency, for the work was not as evenly distributed as one would like to see it, and the left wing pair were on the whole the more resourceful. But for the clever work of the county forwards among whom J.Goodall and Bloomer were always prominent, there is little of a favorable character to be recorded, and the executive of the club, and the players must have considered themselves extremely fortunate in finishing up on level terms with their opponents. Luck undesirably favoured the side, but when the full strength of the team will be at command, there can be no question that they will prove a powerful lot to contested against. Several of the spectators behaved in a very unsprtsman like fashion, when the game was going against the side, and on one occasion a linesman and to seek the protection of the referee and club officials, in a case of stone throwing by a section of the crowd. It is a pity that the game should be disturbed by a small rowdy element, and the sooner an example is made of such pests the better will it be for the game. Taking a broad view of the contest. Everton should easily have annexed two points, but at the same time they are to be complimented upon having retained their unbeaten record in away from home matches.


October 20, 1898 Courier & Argue

The transfer of Divers from Everton to Celtic was completed yesterday, and he will be played against Rangers on Saturday.


October 24 189. The Liverpool Mercury

The first of the League engagements between these clubs took place at Goodison Park on Saturday, and despite the unfavorable weather prior to the commencement of the game, there would be quite 12,000 spectators present. The Everton team was the same that took part in the sensational game at Derby on the previous Saturday, and the Midlanders appeared at full strength, the sides under the guidance of Mr.Scrang taking up their position as follows: - Everton: - Muir, goal, Balmer (w), and Molyneux, backs, Boyle, Owen (captain), and Taylor, halfbacks, Clarke, Bell, Oldham, Kirwan, and Schofield forwards. West Bromwich Albion: - Reader, goal, Cave, and Williams, backs Perry Jones and Banks, halfbacks, Bassett, McKenzie, Bratt, Richards, and Garfield, forwards. The Evertonians won the toss, there by having the advantage of playing with the wind and sun behind them, but the visitors despite being opposed to these powerful factors, had a big share in the opening movements of play, and more than once came within shooting range of their opponents goal. Muir had to fist away from Garfield early on, and following some bad placing of the ball by the home halves, who almost invariably kicked to the Albion backs, both Balmer and Molyneux had a most anxious time, until centre from Bassett rolled harmlessly over the line. The visiting forwards were exceptionally keen on the ball, and were ably backed up by some clever work on the part of J.Jones, but too much attention was directed towards the right wing, and thereby ground was lost, as there was no passing Taylor and Molyneux. At times the Everton forwards took up the running, but as a rule they rarely gauged the ball accurately from a pass, with the result that an Albionite was quickly in possession, and neutralised otherwise good play by the home defenders. Concerted action from an Everton point of view was at a discount, owing to the exception vigilance of the opposing trio, who were keen on the ball, and withal accurate in their passing to those in front. As a rule, play greatly favoured the visitors, and a fine shot from Banks almost brought about downfall, for Muir dropped the ball, and it was fortunate that Balmer was in close attendance, as the visitors were well up. Immediately afterwards the home custodian was penalised for running with the ball, and a sign of relief came when Boyle cleverly charged down the kick, which was taken a few yards from the goalmouth. Upto the interval nothing had been scored, and shortly after resuming Clark missed a capital chance of opening the scoring account, after Williams had missed his kick and left Reader practically undefended. However it was not taken advantage of, but returning again the same player tested the custodian with a beautiful shot, which was got away at the expense of a corner, which proved abortive. Following this the visitors took up a good position, but were not allowed to get in a parting shot, and on the home side retaliating Schofield put in a capital centre, which was met by Oldham after a close race with Reader, with the result that the custodian was defeated after 18 minutes from the resumption. For some few minutes after this success there was no stopping the Everton forwards, who hung persistently round the Albion goal, and on one occasion Reader was lucky in Keeping out a header from Kirwan. The ball was quickly at the other end, where Garfield was busy, and following a beautiful shot from this player the ball glided off the upright out of play. Immediately following the home goal had a marvellous escape from Richarsds, who also had the misfortunate of seeing his shot rebound from the upright, and there could be no question that for some little time luck had been altogether against the visitors. Towards the end of the game the Everton forwards were seen to better advantage, and Kirwan with a little steadiness, might have scored, but nothing further was recorded, and Everton won a closely contested game by one goal to nil.


October 24, 1898. Glasgow Herald.

The West Bromwich Albion team have been playing very well lately, and their visit to Everton on Saturday was expected to result in a good game. The weather was extremely unpleasant, heavy rain falling the whole time, but despite that, about 12,000 people were present on the ground. Though they had the advantage of the wind during the first half the Everton men had much the worst of the play, their opponents being continually attacking. Bassett and the other forwards very frequently sent in shots of a most dangerous character, and they were several times unluckily in not scoring, only the fine goalkeeping and the play of the backs saving Everton. When the interval arrived nothing had been scored, and so the teams crossed over level. After ends had been changed, the home forwards improved, and for some time pressed opponents, resolutely. At length Scholfield centred beautifully and Oldham scored from it, thus giving Everton the lead. Then the Albion attacked, and had very hard lines, several good shots, hitting either the crossbar or upright. No further scoring took place and a fast game resulted in a win for Everton by one goal to nil.



October 24 1898. The Liverpool Mercury

In spite of the difficulties under which the management of the Everton club have lately been labouring, the team continue on their triumphant career, and can now boast of a position in the table that a few weeks back appeared scarely possible of attainment. That so great a measure of success has been achieved with an eleven which included a line of reserve forwards testifies strongly to the competency of the club officials in engaging players, and when all the injured men have thoroughly recovered and are again in their acqstioned places, it is questionable if another club in the county can be found in which emergencies can be met with less difference. Though the work of the attacking line was not what could have been desired on Saturday, for there were many occasions when they display was much below the average standard, there was an earnessness about their play that counteracted many faults and ultimately gave their side the victory. That the team, as a whole were lucky in emerging with full points is indisputable, for during the first 45 minutes the Albion van, although facing the wind and sun were complete masters of the situration, and the only surprise was that they did not early on in the proceedings lay a very sustantials foundation to victory. They were however, opposed to a much-improved defence and there can be no question that this department saved the home club from a pronounced defeat. Rarely indeed, were Balmer and Molyneux defeated, but when they were Muir had a most anxious time, and might have been beaten without disgrace. Several times the ball was shot against the upright, and it must be admitted that the visitors same off second best, so far as the distribution of fortune's favours was concerned. The point that gave the Evertonians victory as near as possible verged on the offside rule, so that there was not much to boast about in the result, so far as the actual run of the game was concerned. The brunt of the work, devolved upon the defence, and it is a pleasing duty to chronicle the complete return to form of Balmer who played surprisingly well, taking into account his recent performances, and as he has apparently got over his recent indisposition, there is not likely to be any changes in his position as was generally anticipated, Molyneux maintained his improved form, and was of the two the better back. He attained to the movements of Bassett in more approved style, and in the second half especially did he display excellent judgement in coping with the speedy winger, who was rarely seen in one of his dangerous veins, Muir brought off several fine saves, and in conjunction with the pair in front of him, formed the most successful and resourceful trio on the side. The halfbacks were often hopelessly beaten, but much of this was the result of the ineffectiveness of the forward line, coupled with bad judgement in placing the ball. Time after time was the ball kicked aimlessly, and in the earlier stages the visitor's halves had possession three times out of four. Owen was practically unseless in the centre, and was beaten repeatedly in most easy fashion, but Taylor made amends by clever as well as downright hard work, and was undoubtedly the best of the trio. To single out the most proficient forward on the home side was for once in a way not a difficult task. Kirwan was an easy first, and when one takes into consideration that he had generally to make his own play, his work could not be classed otherwise than with the highest order. Unfortunately Oldham had a few rude shakings, but he lost none of his dash speaks well for his utility in the team and he os evidently the most reliable player in this position that the club has at hand. Bell displayed a tendency to stick the ball too long, and Clarke had a penchant for finishing up at the near side of the net instead of varying his tactics by swinging the ball across the goal at times when really good openings were presented. The forwards, however, as a whole were lacking in skill, but much of their efficiently in this respect was compensated for by sheer hard work, and that they kept up throughout the whole of the proceedings is a fitting tribute to their ability of the trainer. The Albion team was a better-balanced lot, and they were decidedly unlucky in not at least sharing the honours of the day. Had the Everton defenders been at all shaky they must have netted full points for their forwards played a more concerted and effective game than did their opponents. Garfield on the outside left, was often a source of trouble to Balmer, and receiving every assistance from Richards, this pair was the most dangerous, through McKenzie on the inside right, often distinguished himself by clever tactics that kept Muir fully extended Parry, Jones, and Banks formed a superb halfway line, and the pretty triangular passing with those in front of them was one of the brightest features of the game. Both Williams and Cave defended in able fashion, and Reader's performance in goal left nothing to be desired.




Ootober 31 1898. The Liverpool Mercury

The return engagement between these clubs was brought off at Blackburn on Saturday, before about 12,000 spectators not a few of whom hailed from Liverpool having taken advantage of a fast excursion train arranged by the officials of the Everton club. Clarke, Schofield, and Owen stood out from the team that defeated West Bromwich Albion at Goodison Park on the previous Saturday, and both Gee and Proudfoot who had been injured in the game with Liverpool, were included in the team while Wolstenholmes took the place of Boyle, who had been drafted into the centre half position. The Rovers had their usual strength, and at 3-15 the sides took the field as follows: - Everton: - Muir, goal, Balmer (w), and Molyneux, backs, Wolstenholmes, Boyle and Taylor (captain), halfbacks, Bell, Proudfoot, Oldham. Kirwan and Gee forwards. Blackburn Rovers: - Cater, goal, Brandon, and Crompton, backs Booth, Anderson, and Chambers halfbacks, Williams, Hulse, Jackson, Moreland, and Hirst, forwards. The rovers showed up well at the start but encountered a determined opposition, and were always prevented from getting into a favorable position for scoring. The Everton forwards retaliated in strong fashion, and were frequently within range, and for some few minutes Brandon and Crompton had to keep themselves well on the alert to avert downfall. Eventually Hirst had a good opening from Moreland, but missed his kick altogether and after a long period of rather scrambling play; Bell finished up with a shot that was only wide of the mark. A splendid centre from Hirst was fortunately met by Balmer who pounced upon the ball as Jackson was put at to pilot it into the net, but on the Evertonians returning again Proudfoot shot in, Carter stopped the shot, but failed to clear, and in the trice Kirwan opened the scoring account after play had been in progess some 20 minutes. The Rovers now forced the pace in determined fashion, and gave Muir several ticklish shots to deal with, one from Jackson in close quarters all but defeating the custodian. The Everton defenders were playing a steady and resourceful game, and after holding out for some time succeeded in placing their forwards in good position. However nothing further was recorded upto the interval, and ends were changed with the score Everton 1 goal, Rovers nil. On resuming Bell had the better of a tussle with Crompton, and had an easy opening but failed, though returning again full amends were made by the outside man centring finely into the goalmouth, with the result that the Rovers custodian in attempting to save scooped the ball into his own goal. The visitors had by this time fairly secured the measure of their opponents and were often dangerous but from a sudden breakaway a free kick was given against them for pushing about three yards from goal, but as the citadel was blocked to a nicety the Rovers had little prospect of securing a tangible point. Two fine efforts followed from Kirwan and Bell against both of whom Brandon showed great defensive tactics, but a further attack all but resulted in Gee adding third point, as Carter in saving knocked the ball against the upright and escaped at the expense of a corner kick. A magnificent save by Muir from Hirst was the next item, and then play once more settled down in the home half. The game was now intensely exciting and during one of many attacks on the Rovers goal, Oldham missed a ridiculously easy chance by shooting over the bar, when there was practically no opposition. Five minutes from time Proudfoot fastened on the ball and raced strongly to the Rovers goal. He was promptly tackled, but recovering his feet again secured possession and out distanced hos opponents finishing up with a magnificent shot, against which Carter was quite helpless. A couple of minutes late Moreland scored for the Rovers and the game ended with the result Everton 3 goals, Blackburn Rovers 1.



October 31 1898. The Liverpool Mercury

At Goodison Park. Everton had the best of the first half, and Clarke scored in ten minutes. Turner then hit the bar and the Star back put through his own goal. Fisher saved twice from Marquis. Interval Everton 2 goals, Star nil. On resuming Clarke got away by himself, but shot outside. Final scored Everton 2 goals White Star 0. (placed 1 st , Game 7, Won 6 Lost 0 Draw 1. For 36, Against 3 Points 13)



October 31 1898. The Liverpool Mercury

The Everton team, in spite of the enforced changes week by week appears fated to be concerned in record breaking, and by their clever performance at Blackburn accomplished what no other league team that has visited the Ewood Park enclosure this season has done namely, secured two pints at the expense of the Rovers on their own territory. Furthermore had the score been in strict accordance with the run of the play, Everton should have been credited with at least two additional goals, but apart from this consideration, the performance of the ‘'Blues'' on Saturday was one of real merit, and offered further confirmation, if, indeed this was at all necessary of the undoubted ability and increased vitality of the team. In encountering the Rovers. It was generally felt that one of the most difficult tasks of the season had to be faced, the excellent performances of both clubs so far in this season's tournament demonstrating an equality of strength which, when in opposition, required but the advantage of choice of ground to decide the question of temporary superiority. Viewing the game from this standpoint, it must be admitted that the result was exceptionally meritorious as far as Everton are concerned, and that the onward career of the home team received a check from manifestly superior opponents. The inclusion of Gee and Proudfoot, who had not been in active for five weeks, caused misgivings in some quarters, as there was a probability of these players breaking down in the face of such a stern contest after so long an enforced rest, but they stayed the pace like the rest of their confreres, and also played a most important part in the afternoon's proceedings. It was clearly a case of superior stamina effecting victory, and the fact that the Evertonians were going vigorously even at the close, while the home team were in more than one instance showing signs of distress, speaks well for the conditions of the men. In the first half of the game there was little if any superiority shown by either side, but in the second moiety the Evertonians, by reason of better directed play, were able to control the game to a considerable extent, and in gaining so substantial a victory was only in keeping with their desets. All round the Everton team played a strong effective game, the backs viewing with the forwards in ability, and it would have been a clever team indeed on Saturday that could have exacted quarter from them on any enclosure. The rearrangement of the front line was a distinct improvement. Proudfoot as inside right, played a great game, and the goal, which he scored in the later stages, was the outcome of an individual effort of exceptional merit. He had been challenged by the backs, and was heavily brought to earth, but scrambling to his feet again, and easily defeated the opposing defenders in the race for possession ands allowed Carter no chance of dealing with his shot. The other goals were secured by Kirwan and Bell, but all the line played a thoroughly winning game, though Oldham appeared at times over eager to test the custodian when a sharp pass to the inside man would have probably greatly benefited his side. Nothing could have excelled the play of the halfbacks, and though all were exceptionally clever. Boyle was the embodiment of coolness and judicious capability. Wolstenholmes came out of a trying ordeal with great success and is certainly worthy a further trial, while on the other end of the line Taylor was a veritable thorn in the side of the ex-Evertonian, William. Balmer and Molyneux have rarely played a better game, and both men simply reveled in downright hard and effective work. Muir had a few teasers to deal with, which were well cleared, and it is questionable if the shot that defeated him in the last few minutes was not obtained from an offside position.