December 1900


December 3 1900. The Liverpool Mercury

The first of the season's League engagements between these clubs was played at Sunderland on Saturday. On the Everton side Corrin and Gray displaced Settle and Turner, the usual left wing, and Sunderland had their usual League team at command. The weather was dull and threatening rain, and at 2-10, when the teams turned out there would not be more than 5,000 spectators present. The sides were as follow: - Everton: - Muir goal, Balmer (captain), and Watson, backs Wolstenholmes, Booth, and Abbott halfbacks, Taylor, McDonald, Proudfoot, Gray, and Corrin, forwards. Sunderland: - Doig goal, McCombie and Watson, backs, Ferguson, McAlister, and Raisebeck. Halfbacks, Hogg, Common, Miller, Livingston, and McLathchie forwards. The ground was heavy and Sunderland having won the toss elected to play with a strong wind behind their backs. They were at once aggressive, and for some time the Everton defenders kept extended to their best efforts. Muir was several times called upon notably from McLatchie and cleared in capital style. A rush down by Taylor was short lived, and returning again, the ball was shot in, and Muir put through his goal. It was only on odd occasions that the Everton forwards could get going, but even then they did not appear likely to score, and following some capital defence the interval was reached without further disaster. Having now the wind, the visitors commenced to press and Doig was called upon to save a warm shot from Proudfoot. McDonald was a trifle wide with another effort and following a long spell the home forwards took up the running and kept Muir well employed, for some time. Several capital saves, were effected, when played veered to the other end, where McCombie and Watson showed to advantage. Three minutes from the close the home forwards swept down and after Muir had saved from a long kick, by Watson, the ball was returned and Common scored. Nothing further was scored, and Sunderland won by 2 goals to nil.



December 3 1900. The Liverpool Mercury

At Goodison park. Wiggins started for the Recs. Everton at once asserting the aggressive, and though Settle scored in the first two minutes of the game, nothing further was done to the interval. On changing ends, Worthington augmented Everton's score with a magnificent shot. The visitors them attacked, and Davies had a try at goal, but Halliday slipped in and cleared. Lee saved from Turner twice, and Everton won by 2 goals to nil. (Game 14) Everton: - Kitchen goal, Halliday and Crelly backs, Blythe, Green and Taylor (r), halfbacks, Barlow, Settle, Worthington, Chadwick (t) and Turner, forwards.


December 3, 1900. Glasgow Herald.

Despite the fact that this match at Roker Park, Sunderland, was one of the most important of the league fixtures, there were only about 10,000 people present to watch the play. The Sunderland team had given their supporters something of a disappointment by losing last Saturday to West Bromwich Albion, but they were confidently expected to give a much better display against the Lancashire team. The weather was dull and threatening, and the turf very soft, but the Sunderland forwards played a fast game, and ten minutes from the start they scored a goal, Muir, in trying to save, fumbling the ball and letting it go between the posts. Sunderland after this pressed continuously, but they could not get through again before half-time, and thus changed ends with a lead of one goal to none. In the second half the Everton men tried utmost to equaliser matters, but the Sunderland defence proved admirable, and quite to all the demands made upon it. For the most part Everton had a good deal of the best of matters, but just before the finish, the Sunderland forwards broke away, and Common scored for them. There was nothing more obtained after this, and Sunderland thus won by two goals to nil.



December 3 1900. The Liverpool Mercury

Following upon the repeated failure of the Everton forwards to reach even an ordinary level of ability it was but natural to expect some changes in the representation of the team to oppose Sunderland on Saturday. In this matter the managers of the Everton Club acted in no halfhearted fashion, and they can at least be accorded every credit in endeavoring to resuscitate a wanting interest in the club. Up to a week or two ago, the personnel of the team had been unchanged. The players had enjoyed the full confidence of managers and supporters alike, and few indeed were prepared for such a complete revolution, which has however, been rightly merited. Four of five forwards that played on Saturday figured in the reserve team against Glossop last month, and that they at any rate fared no worse than the particular stars of the club had recently done in a healthy sign of the times. The usual left wing was dropped entirely their places being filled by Corrin and Gray, the former making his debut in League football, and though this pair were not over burdened with work they put in several touches that were not the least brilliant among the many features of the game. Both sent in capital shots that called up the agile Sunderland custodian's best efforts, and under less trying conditions they should turn out a very serviceable. Proudfoot under the circumstances was justified in directing most of his passes to the rightwing, when Taylor was a veritable glutton for work, and what with the general leveling in the play was an improvement upon what was witnessed in recent home matches. The slippery nature of the ground had a deterrent effect upon the play for there was an absence of that crisp, low passing, and high speed that usually characteristic the meeting of these rivals but still the game was full of exciting incidents, and interest was sustained up to the last minute of the game when Sunderland clinched the matter by putting on the second goal. The home side was very clever team, and fully merited their success and had they been as accurate in front of goal as they were clever in reaching close range they might easily have established a more pronounced lead. With the wind in their favour-and this was a most powerful factor, as it blew strongly from end to end-they brought a tremendous amount of pressure to bear upon the Everton defenders who considering the sticky nature of the turf, were lucky in reaching the interval with but one goal recorded against them. After the change of ends it was not too much to expect that the visitors would accomplish at least a draw, but to determined were Doig and his backs that scoring became a very difficult task. The superior play of the home forwards, who often worked the ball nicely down against the wind, increased the visitors difficulties during the second portion, and it was the outcome of a spirited rush, aided by feeble resistance by the Everton defenders, that a second point was recorded. As already stated Sunderland were the better side, superiority being more manifest among the forwards, while the other positions compared very favorably. There was a little looseness at times noticeable among the Everton backs, but this is such a rare occurrence that it will be readily overlooked. The heavy grounds especially near the goalmouth, greatly handicapped them, and it was some time when they became accustomed to the surroundings. The halves played a hard untiring game, and none had a more difficult task than Booth who attended to Miller with a big share of success. The Sunderland centre forward played an admirable game, and had evidently much football, yet in him. His passes to the wings were well timed, and most of the home attacks were due to his initiative. The rearguard formed a solid defence, and Doig in goal played a big part in the success of his side. Taking all the composition into account, the game was quite in keeping with other stern contests between the clubs, and as matters now stand Everton have yet to defeat any Northern rivals on the banks of the Wear.


December 4, 1900 Grimsby Daily Telegraph

A Scotch International

Macfarlance of Everton Signed

That the Grimsby Town directors do not mean to have any tomfoolery with players is very evident from their recent action in advertising for a new goalkeeper and back. It is hardly the thing that one or two players should endeavour to render non-effective the hard work of the remainder of the team for First League honours by throwing chances away. It's neither fair to the club, the other players, or the local supporters. The directors are to be congratulated on the manner in which they tackled the matter. They received many letters from players in answer to their advertisement, and last evening they signed Robert MacFaralance, formerly of Everton for the position of goalkeeper. MacFarlance is now in Grimsby training with the other members of the team. The new goalkeeper, who is a Scotch International, played for Everton the latter part of one season, and in the last match or two he got severely hurt, his knee cap being injured. This happened a fortnight before the end of the season, and he went home to Greennock, near Glasgow, and placed himself under medical treatment. He eventually signed on for Bristol St. George's, but when he had played in two or three matches, unfortunately his knee broke down, and he was sent to Mr. Allison's establishment at Manchester, afterwards returning home to Scotland, and playing for East Stirlingshire. Then Everton put him on the transfer list, asking the sum of £250 for him. MacFarlane applied twice to the League Committee to reduce the amount and the sum was reduced to £100. Since then, however, he again applied, and got it down to £50. He answered the Grimsby Town Club advertisement in the “Athletic News” on Monday week, and stated that he believed the club could get his transfer for a matter of £20. Therefore the own directors offered Everton that amount for his transfer, but the Everton management flatly refused to take anything less than £50. MacFarlane, however, undertook if Grimsby asked him, to attend before the League Committee, which he did yesterday, and Grimsby got his transfer for the £20. MacFarlane then came straight on to Grimsby. I may say that MacFarlane when he went to Everton was considered a big capture, and he has performed brilliantly between the sticks. Indeed, there was quite a furore when the Toffee team managed to secure him. His knee s now stated to be sound, and it is to be hoped he will prove a valuable acquisition to the Town team in their struggle for First League honours. He is 24 years of age, stands 5ft 10 ½ ins, high, and weighs 12 stone. He kept goal at Ibrox Park for Scotland against Wales, in 1896, when the Scots beat the Welshmen by four goals to nil, whilst in 1897 he again figured on the Scottish side in the International League match at Ibrox Park, at which Mr. W.H. Bellamy, of Grimsby, acted as linesman, the English League representatives being beaten by three goals to nothing.


December 10 1900. The Liverpool Mercury

For this engagement the directors of the Everton club decided to play the same team that were defeated at Sunderland so that Settle and Turner again stood down. The County were well represented, and the sides faced as follow: - Everton: - Muir goal, Balmer (captain), and Watson, backs, Wolstenholmes, Booth and Abbott, halfbacks, Taylor, McDonald Proudfoot, Gray, and Corrin, forwards. Derby County: - Fryer, goal, Methvin and Morrie, backs, Warren, Goodall, and Leckie, halfbacks, Crawford, Bloomer, Boag, Wombwell, and McQueen, forwards. Everton faced the wind, and put on pressure at the start, but replying the County forwards made off, and Muir effected a clear save from a swift low shot by McQueen. Taylor made good progress, and finished up with a shot that struck the side of the net, while directly afterwards a swift drive from Bloomer hit the crossbar. A couple of corners followed to the County without tangible result, and upto the interval the play continued spirited with the defence always prevailing over the attack. No scoring resulted in the first half and on resuming the Everton forwards having now the wind, laid siege to the County goal. Three times in quick succession did Fryer save his goal, and on the visitors, right getting away. Bloomer struck the crossbar, with a terrific shot. Returning again, Abbott put in a magnificent effort, which Fryer saved, and following further clever defence, McDonald at length beat the custodian. The Everton forwards put even more into their play, and several times the upright was struck, Wolstenholmes eventually adding a second goal after prolonged pressure. Nothing further was scored and Everton won by 2 goals to nil.



December 10 1900. The Liverpool Mercury

At Padiham. The home team kicked off, Abbot scoring in the first five minutes. Everton equalising soon after, from Turner Beveridge put his side ahead. Half time Everton 2 goals Padiham 1. The second half was well contested, the visitors scoring, Abbot having hard lines later on, just missing by a few inches, and Everton winning by 3 goals to 1. (Game 15) Everton: - Kitchen, goal, Eccles, and Crelly, backs, Blythe, Green, and Taylor (r), halfbacks, Roche, Settle, Beveridge, Worthington, and Turner, forwards.



December 10 1900. The Liverpool Mercury

The habitues of Goodison Park had on Saturday the uncommon felicity of seeing two goals scored by Everton forwards in a League match, and as it is nine weeks since such a feat was accomplished before, the incident is worthy of being recorded in indelible characters. Derby County provided the opportunity for the achievement of this success, and that four or five more were not chalked up against them was due simply to a masterly display of custodianship by Fryer whose defensive powers were severely tested, and who came out of the ordeal triumphantly. The constitution of the Everton forwards division naturally created much curiosity and surprise, more particularly with regard to the left wing, but a change had become imperative, and it was a commendable move on the part of the directorate to try at home what had fared not so badly a Sunderland. It would be idle to deny that the pair did not dazzle the spectators with their brilliance, but the inside player-Gray-was equal to the best on the field, and Corrin has evidently plenty of football in him if he would only let it come out more fluently. There was more swing and dash about the play of the front rank as a body than has been witnessed for some weeks and after an uneventful first half the men pulled themselves together and gave the Derby defence a warm time of it in the concluding stages. Two vital points, which have been conspicuously weak in the forward line previously, were in the match greatly improved upon, mainly the passing and shooting. Instead of continually tapping the ball back to the halves, and rarely making headway, the men indulged in forward placing, and the advantage of such a methods were amply justified by the ultimate result. It was a pleasure to witness the creditable efforts made in front of goal, and though occasional blunders occurred, particularly in the first portion of the game, the stern determination shown in the later stages more than compensated for the earlier deficiencies. To hear the ball rattling ‘'against the upright'' and crossbar was after so many weeks of milk and water shooting, was like music to the watchers cars, and many a shot that was turned outside by the adroit Derby keeper deserved a better fate. Fryer's skill however, only seemed to urge the attacking force to more incisive effort, and though twice beaten, never did player more thoroughly deserves the applause that was showered on him as he left the enclosure than did the lengthily Midlander. His excellent work is sufficient evidence of the pressure brought to bear by the home front rank, and Fryer could not, like many custodians that have appeared at Goodison Park this season, complain of his position being a sinecure. McDonald and Gray were the pick of the front line, though Taylor also rendered capital service. The halves played a better game than usual, and were likewise not averse to shooting, some very fine efforts coming from the trio. The backs were in good trim, both men showing stubborn defence, whilst Muir officiated between the upright with his customary efficiency. The visitors were well beaten on the play, for, although the first half was fairly even, Everton monopolised the bulk of the attack in the second moiety, the County making but occasional rushes to the home goal in this period. The forwards were very speedy, and when on the move gave the home defenders an anxious time of it. Both wings demonstrated smart tactics, Crawford's rousing sprints and Bloomer's express shots being balanced on the opposite wing by the accurate centres of McQueen, and the untiring persistency of Wombwell. Altogther, they formed a dangerous quintette, and one, which would play havoc with a hesitating group of defenders. They experienced hard luck in having a couple of shots from Bloomer strike the crossbar, and Everton were certainly favoured by fortune in this matter. Goodall was the pick of the halves, amd Morris at fullback defended well, but chief praise must be awarded to Fryer. Finer goalkeeping could not be desired, and no matter how difficult or unexpected the shot, the custodian was fully equal to the emergency. He alone was responsible for the defeat being kept down to such a narrow margin, and he display could not have been improve upon. The result was a fair reflex of the general character of the play, and it is to be hoped that Everton's improvement will steadily continue, and that to furnish a material stimulant to their goal record will be the main object of their ambition. Messrs. Hughes and Gregson of the International Selection Committee were present at the match, doubtless in the hope of spotting likely candidates for honours in this direction. It is believed that a couple of backs on the Everton side were objects of their particular attention.



December 17 1900. The Liverpool Mercury

Played at Bolton on Saturday. On the Everton side, Turner took up his usual position; otherwise the team was unchanged, while the reserve halves, who made their debut in League football, represented the Wanderers. The sides faced as follow: - Everton: - Muir, goal, Balmer (captain) and Watson, back, Wolstenholmes, Booth, and Abbott, halfbacks, Taylor, McDonald, Proudfoot, Gray, and Turner, forwards. Bolton Wanderers: - Sutcliffe, goal, Brown and Woodfall, Bell (f), Hardham, and Hodgkiss, halfbacks, Bell (l), Picken, McKie, Barlow, and Tweeney, forwards. By winning the toss, Everton had the assistance's of a cross breeze, and early on caused much anxiety among the Bolton backs. Eventually Bell raced down the right only to fine Watson ready and on Proudfoot putting out to Turner, Sutcliffe had to leave his charge in order to clear. Directly afterwards the keeper threw himself full length to clear a shot from Booth, and on a further return Turner missed an easy chance of scoring. Most of the Wanderers play was directed towards the right wing, and the ex-Evertonian kept the visiting backs well employed. Barlow had an open goal, but shot high and McKie was unlucky in one of his shots striking the upright. There was no scoring during the first half and on turning round matters looked none too promising for the Everton players. Tracey the Wanderers left, had a good opening, but bungled, and a shot from Bell caused Muir to handle. The Everton van got away again, and Turner should easily have beaten Sutcliffe, the Bolton goal this time having a marvelous escape. Everton pressed severely, but there was no defeating Sutcliffe, who kept out shots of all kinds. McKie led on a movement to the other end, and probably owing to some misunderstanding between Muir and Watson, Bell was enabled to score a ridiculously simple goal. The Everton forwards subsequently brought great pressure to bear on the Wanderers defence, but could not defeat Sutcliffe, and when the end came they were a goal behind.



December 17 1900. The Liverpool Mercury

At Everton, where the home side had all the play in the first half. They led by a goal at the interval. Resuming Palmer scored for Everton. following this Worthington, form a corner added a third, Settle scoring a fourth. Corrin than defeated Saunders, but the point was disallowed. Settle got possession, and made no mistake, placing a beautiful shot out of the reach of Saunders, and Everton winning by 5 goals to nil. (Game 16) Everton: - Kitchen goal, Eccles, and Crelly backs, Blythe, Green, and Taylor (r), halfbacks, Roche, Dawson, Worthington, Settle, and Corrin, forwards.



December 17 1900. The Liverpool Mercury

The meeting of Everton and the Bolton wanderers at Burden Park, on Saturday, produced but a moderate contest, and to this must be attributed the wretched state of the playing pitch, combined with the vagaries attendant upon a fitful breeze. Recent performances of course placed Everton as first favourites, and to those who witnessed the game at Goodison park on Saturday last the result have come has complete surprise. Probably the team viewed the game to lightly especially as the Wanderers as the Wanderers executive had to resort to most drastic changes, and it was not until they were in arrear that there were efforts extended worthy of the reputation of the players. On the heavy ground the Everton forwards were certainly at a big disadvantage, but apart from this, there was not that whole-heartedness put into the work that one is accumstoned to see when a team is somewhat handicapped. No exception could be taken to the play of the wingmen, indeed, had their confreres played up to an ordinary standard the result would have been completely reversed. Much of the non-success was attributed to weak centre forward play, and in games played so far this season, it is questionable whether this position has been so feeble filled. The inclusion of Turner, strengthened the left wing, and in conjunction with Gray, a very fair exposition was given, which augurs well for coming games. The pair played well together, and it must have been disappointing to find that several of their centres were allowed to go abegging. At the other end of the line, Taylor was indefatigable in his efforts to claim advantage for his side and had McDonald been more at home on the heavy ground, there must have been trouble in store for the Bolton defenders. Waiting for the ball was the worse fault of the Everton forwards and this provided the Wanderers with opportunities. Though the quintet is far removed from this brilliant order, they were certainly more active in pursuit of the ball, and leaving nothing to chance, they frequently showed themselves in a very favourable light. They gave the Everton halfbacks plenty of trouble by their close attentions, and the left wing frequently got the better of Wolstenholmes, which is a somewhat unusual item to chronicle. The Wanderers half-way line was represented by three local players, who had not before taken part in League football, and that they held their own speaks well for further trials. The backs on both sides gave a capital display, and it was unfortunate for Everton that owing to lack of judgement in leaving his goal. Muir should give his opponents a couple of points. Apart from this, the custodian played a very fine game, and keeping in mind his sterling work so far this season, it would be kinder to arrest adverse criticism. As for Sutcliffe he simply played the whole of the Everton forwards, and by his great resource the Bolton team were saved from what must otherwise have been a prouncuned defeat. During the second half he disposed of all kinds of shots, many from close range, being nothing short of brilliant, and it is questionable if a finer display of questionship has been witnessed at Bolton were unquestionably the better of two very moderate sides. They were very unlucky with their final efforts, which on many occasions only just missed the mark, and under the circumstances a draw would have better befitted the occasion.



December 24 1900. The Liverpool Mercury

The directors of the Everton Club reorganised the forward rank to oppose the Nottingham club on Saturday by bringing in Settle to partner Taylor. While McDonald displaced Proudfoot. The visitors had a full team, and at 2-30 the sides faced as follow: - Everton: - Muir, goal, Balmer and Watson, backs, Wolstenholmes, Booth, and Abbott, halfbacks Taylor, Settle (captain), McDonald, Gray, and Turner forwards. Notts County: - Penningham goal, Prescott, and Lewis backs, Ball, Bull, and McDonald, halfbacks Spencer, Warmers, Ross, Morris, and Gee (e) forwards. There would be about 10,000 spectators present when the game commenced, and at once the visitors gave considerable trouble to the home defenders. A capital run and centre by Taylor placed matters more favourable for Everton, but Pennington disposed of the final effort, and later on must have been relieved as the result of a capable shot from Abbott, who was only a trifle lacking in elevation. Later on Gee was in good position, but had his shot charged down by Balmer, and from a subsequent cross shot was only a trifle wide. Eventually the ex-Evertonian centred well, and after the ball had been cleared Warner drove hard in, and defeated Muir after 25 minutes play. Upto the interval Everton had more of the game, but could not score and on changing ends the County led by a goal to nil. On resuming Everton pressed hotly but their final efforts were of a very feeble character. Once Abbott made a big bid for a tangible point, but Lewis stood in the way, and other attempts to score were easily warded off by the custodian. The close attentions of the visiting backs quite nonplussed the Everton forwards who never appeared like scoring while the occasion's rushes of the visitors always savoured of danger. The bulk of the play favoured Everton right up to the finish, but there was no defeating the County defence and the game ended with the Everton nil, Notts County 1.


December 24 1900-Lancashire Evening Post

At Goodison, before 15,000 spectators. Proodfoot stood down from the home team, McDonald filling the vacancy at centre forward, and Settle, after sereral weeks' absence, returned to his old position on the wing. Everton started play, and had the best of the opening exchanges. but at the end 20 minutms clever passing by the forwards enabled Warner to score for Notts. Everton tried hard to equaliser, but there was a want of concert forward. Proodfoot's absence being severely felt, and Settle was stiff and shot poortly. Muir soon had to handle again from Warmer, who was playing a capital game, while Pennington hardly touched the ball. Taylor and Wolstenholme did good work at half-back without able stop tho Notts forwards, who moved freely and well, and kept up a running fire at Muir's. Thay had all the game till the interval Half-time—-Notts 1. Everton 0. resuming Everton attacked hotly and forced severel corners kicks, but their finishing touches were weak, and the County backs cleared with ease. With but few exceptions Everton had the bulk of the atack. but had in the County a strudy set of defenders. Result; Notts County 1, Everton 0.


December 24 1900. The Liverpool Mercury

At Turton. Everton opened the scoring from a penalty kick early on, Duckworth handling. Turton afterwards more than hold their own against their doughty opponents, Kitchen being called upon, but starving off disaster. Proudfoot, with a soft chance, beat Lill. A race between Greenhalgh and Kitchen ended in favour of the former, who cleared with a ponderous kick. Turton could not get through, and at half-time the score was Everton 2 goals, Turton nil. Result Everton 3 goals Turton nil. (Game 17) Everton: - Kitchen goals, Eccles, and Crelly, backs, Boyle, Green and Taylor (r), halfbacks, not known Dawson, Proudfoot, Worthington, and Corrins, forwards.



December 24 1900. The Liverpool Mercury

A defeat at home has to be recorded against the Everton team, and one may be pardoned for wondering whether a decent display of football on their it ever again going to be witnessed. The exhibition given against Notts County was but a repetition of what has prevailed for over two months noticeable chiefly for the utter lack of ability by the forward division to furnish even a moderate exposition and absolute failure to score goals. As already stated, this weakness has been the outstanding feature in the League games played at Goodison Park for some considerable time, but it is doubtful whether the front rank have ever shown such an utter want of understanding and cleverness as they demonstrated against Notts County. It is, indeed, wearisome to be everlastingly grinding at this part of the team, but there is not the slightest doubt that it is here where the root of all the failure is deeply implanted. The most optimistic supporters of the club must be getting heartily tired of witnessing the continued profile efforts of the Everton attacking forces, and some striking charge is imperative. The selection committee have not been particularly fortunate in the disposition of the men under their control, and it was a move in the wrong direction when they decided upon playing McDonald as centre forward. As an experiment it was an out and out failure, but what reason was there to make such a change necessary. This player, who has figured at inside left, with great credit, showed not the slightest idea of leading his forwards and ability to pass an opposing full back is not one of the requirements of a centre. This was where McDonald's passes chiefly went, and the Notts defenders had an easy task on hand, although they were kept fairly busy. The whole forward machinery was out of gear, and is likely so to remain until the men are played in the positions for which they have given evidence of being best suited. With the mainspring so to speak, not in working order, the rest of the forward work was completely upset. Gray was another complete failure and was a semi-tone below Turner all the way though the place. The outside man was also out of tune, and the pair did not hatmorise in the slightest degree. On the right wing, Settle was responsible for one good shot, a fact worth chronicling, and for which alone some considerable meed of praise is due. There decent efforts, which came like angels visits, impress themselves on one's mind, something after the manner in which a gentle slope becomes a stiff climb to the traveller who has journeyed along level country for some hours. What would other wise pass unnoticed becomes a landmark by reason of the monotonous surroundings. In these days of goal famine, small mercies in the shape of a good shot now and then have to satisfy every craving. Taylor again bore off the palm in the front rank, and the remainder might take a lesson from his dash without detriment to themselves. It is this lack of go and determination which has become a characteristic of Everton forwards play this season, but with the man properly apportioned there should be no difficulty in regaining lost prestige and making their matches worth watching. At present it is absolutely painful to view their puny endeavors and a reviving influence will be hailed with delight. The backs were as usual, in capital form. Muir kept goal finely, and repelled several difficult shots, whilst Balmer and Watson kicked accurately and with judgement. Booth was the pick of the halves, but as a matter of fact, weak back play would behind such forwards as Everton posses, appear the incarnation of extreme skill. Notts deserved their victory, if only by reason of their superiority in front of goal. In the second half they were chiefly defending, though when the farwards broke away they were always dangerous. The right wing was smart, Warmer doing several clever things whilst the quondam Everton player, Gee, shaped very fairly on the left wing. The halves were a strong trio, Bull being the most prominent, and further behind Prescott and Lewis defended very stubbornly, their kicking being vigorous and effective. Pennington had two troublesome shots to deal with, and by clearing these spoiled the only descent attempts made by the home team to score. The result was a great surprise to local enthusiasts, but such play an Everton showed will never win matches, and when a team of the calibre of Notts carried away points from Goodison Park matters have indeed reached a grave crisis in the club's history.


Sheffield Evening Telegraph - Wednesday 26 December 1900

At Park, before 25.000 spertators. Bury were without McLuckie, Sagar playing centre forward. The game was magnificently contested, both sides exhibiting dash. After 17 minutes' play Abbott scored for Everton from corner, and Pray moment later equalised, also from a corner. Then the Bury attacks were rewarded Sagar scoring. Wood adding another. Interval ; Bury 3 goals. Everton 1 goal- In the second half the game was again splendidly contested, with Bury if anything the smarter team. Both goalkeepers were frequently called upon, and did their work well. Everton were unable utilise opportunities, and could not overcome the strong Bury defence. At last Turner scored for Everton, and Proudfoot equalised. Final:— Bury-3 goals. Everton 3 goals


December 26, 1900. Glasgow Herald.

At Bramell lane, before 20,000 spectators, in fine weather. Play was fast from the start, and Turner had hard lines with a grand shot. Eleven minutes from the start Settle scored a grand goal for Everton. Bennett equalising five minutes later. Everton played beautiful football, Turner missing a good opening. Muir saved from Almond, and Foulkes from Taylor, and Turner shot just wide. Halt-time Sheffield United 1 goal, Everton 1 goal. On resuming Muir saved a fine shot from Lipsham. But during the next 20 minutes Everton had the best of matters, Foulkes saving from Turner, Settle, and Taylor. Then United took up the attack, but Bennett was off-side when he put the ball through, whilst Muir saved from Hedley, but Almond scored from a pass by Lipsham barely a minute from the finish, thus winning a good game Result Sheffield United 2 goals, Everton 1.



December 26 1900. The Liverpool Mercury

For the first time in the history of the Everton Football club, the team had to forge afield on Christmas Day and the engagement with the Sheffield united eleven necessitated a journey to the cutlery town on Monday. The directorate decided upon a further change and brought in Sharp to partner Taylor with Proudfoot in the centre; while the home side were at their usual strength. The players at eleven o'clock lined up as follows: - Everton: - Muir, goal Balmer and Watson backs, Wolstenholmes Booth, and Abbott, halfbacks Sharp, Taylor, Proudfoot, Settle (captain), and Turner forwards. Sheffield United: - Foulkers, goals, Thickett, and Boyle backs Beers, Wilkinson, and Needham (captain), halfbacks Bennett, Gilhooty, Almond, Hedley, and Lipsham forwards. Settle lost the toss, and on Proudfoot kicking off against a cross breeze the opening play was slightly in favour of the United, but after ten minutes play the visitors began to feel their feet, and showed that it would require the best efforts of the United to stare off defeat. Turner and Settle particularly, on the left, were very aggressive, while Proudfoot was distributing the work in a manner that boded well for the success of his side. Following a well worked out plan of attack. A corner was forced off Boyle, and this being taken by Sharp, Taylor headed the ball on to Settle, who defeated Foulkes with a magnificent shot. Play continued favourable to the visitors, but misfortune came as the result of a miskick by Booth, which ended in an opening being made for Hedley, who put the ball to Lipsham, and in turn Bennett equailsed. From this to the interval, Everton were greatly in evidence, but could not take the lead. On changing ends, the visitors at once looked like forging ahead, and the forwards playing a magnificent game Taylor is particular being most prominent in attack. The van was however, opposed to a stubborn defence, and for quite 20 minutes the home side were not within range of Muir. Foulkes had plenty of work in hand, and by dint of kicking out, and clever saves by the custodian, the home line were repeatedly saved from downfall. During one of the aggressive onslaughts on the United goal. Thickett fsted the ball from Turner, but the referee apparently had not seen the infringement, and did not upheld a strong claim for a penalty. The play still favoured the visitors, but a break away by the United found Muir at fault in the last two minutes the game Almond scored an easy goal. There could be no question as to, which was the superior team for on all hands the visitors were freely admitted to have given one of the finest displays that have been witnessed at Bramell lane, this season. That the United obtained full points was more Everton's misfortunate than their fault, for from start to finish they set a terrific pace and played excellent football and deserved success.


December 27, 1900. Glasgow Herald.

Fully 25,000 witnessed the league match at Goodison Park in dull weather. Everton made no changes, but Bury were without McLuckie, Sagar going centre. The game opened in most spirited fashion, and Everton scored, after severe pressure, from a corner, through Abbott. A couple of minutes later Pray equalised, and Sagar place Burt ahead. Although Everton played desperately, Wood scored a third goal. Interval Bury 3 goals, Everton one. Play was very exciting, in the second half, before fully 30,000 people. Each goal was vigorously airmailed, and both Muir and Thompson made fine saves, the Bury forwards being particularly smart. Everton attack's were without sting, but eventually Turner scored, and close on time Proudfoot equalise, the game end in a draw of three goals each.


EVERTON 3 BURY 3 (Game 358)

December 27 1900. The Liverpool Mercury

The only really important fixture in this district yesterday was the League match at Goodison Park between Everton and Bury. Probably the fact that people were on holiday had rather more to do with the excellent attendance than the display that Everton have recently given. These have been most unfortunate seeing that on Saturday and Tuesday they lost four points to Notts County and Sheffield United. On the Principe, however that those results have been too bad to be true, people pourned into the magnificent enclosure yesterday in the hope that at last Everton would exhibit their true form fully 30,000 being present. Everton played the same team as on the previous day, while on the Bury side the absence of McLuckie caused Sagar to be tried at centre forward, with Berry inside left. Shortly before 2-30 the teams faced as follow: - Everton: - Muir, goal, Balmer, and Watson, backs, Wolstenholmes, Booth, and Abbott, halfbacks, Sharp, Taylor, Proudfoot, Settle (captain), and Turner, forwards. Bury: - Thompson goal, Darroch and McEwan, backs, Pray, Leeming, and Ross, halfbacks, Richards, Wood, Sagar, Berry, and Plant forwards. The visitors opened the play, but at once the home side settled down to earnest work and in the first couple of minutes Taylor, with a clever shot, was only a trifle wide of the mark. The visitors made desperate efforts to change the venue, but some time elapsed before they got into a favourable position. Balmer gave a corner, which led up to a sharp attack. Leeming put the ball well up, and Woods, when but a few yards off goal, shot hard into Muir's hands. This was a lucky escape for Everton and it was signalised by a further strong attack on the Bury goal a splendid shot by Taylor calling for Thompson's best efforts to keep his goal intact. The pace did not flag in the least, and the ball was up, and down the field with rapidity that quite delighted the larged crowd. Plant led on a movement to the Everton end, and sent across to Richards, who returned the ball, which the outside left put into the net. He was, however, palpably offside, and the point was promptly disallowed. Getting away again Thompson saved twice in quick succession from close range, the second time at the expense of a corner. This was well placed, and Abbott, rushing up headed into the goal after play had been in progress 17 minutes. As the result of capital movement by the home left, the visitors goal was all but captured. Richards and Wood made play on the Bury right, and following a corner kick, Pray, with a swift shot, defeated Muir, the sides being now on level terms again. Sharp and Taylor made headway, and the latter to save a fair attempt to score called upon Thompson. The play was now of a more even character, and the swift cross shots by the Bury wingers always savoured of danger. The right wing pair were the more aggressive, and as a result of several movements towards Muir, Richards put the ball to Sagar, who had no difficulty in placing his side ahead. The ball was quickly at the other end, where Turner made an excellent bid for goal with a fast grounder. The Bury forwards were now most persistent, Sagar keeping his wings well employed and finishing up with shots that caused much uneasiness to the home defenders. A couple of spurts by Sharp were the next items of interest, and from a corner kick Abbott put beside the mark. Another fine run down and centre by Plant led to further disaster to Everton. Abbott was at fault in not clearing, and Woods slipping in, scoring the ball, and gave Muir no chance whatever of saving. This third reverse was quite a staggering to the home supporters, who following upon the earlier proceedings were anticipating a comfortable margin at the interval. Just before half time the Bury forwards were again very aggressive, but no further scoring took place, and Bury led by 3 goals to 1. On the resumption Bury were the first to the become dangerous, but met with strong opposition from the Everton halves, and on play veering to the other end Settle shot in splendidly, and Thompson brought off a very fine save. A few minutes later Proudfoot put the ball into the net, but was clearly offside, and the point was disallowed. Richards was unfairly pulled up by Abbott when close in, but nothing came of the free kick, though on a further return, Plant, Sagar, and Richards put in shots, that kept Muir well employed. Play continues to be interesting, and slightest in favour of Bury. In attempting to head the ball away Settle came in contact with one of the Bury halves, and play was suspended for a few minutes. Sharp and Taylor made good progress, but at this juncture had but little support, and Sagar raced off, with but Balmer and Muir to defeat. The former prevented an accurate shot, being sent in, and Everton breathed freely. Meanwhile Ross had the measure of the Everton right wing pair, and there was not the sting in this part of attack as was so noticeable in the first portion. Settle, Turner, and Proudfoot made a big effort to get through, but to no purpose, and another sprint by Plant resulted in the ball being driven against the side of the net. For some time Everton enjoyed the greater share of play, but there was no defeating the visitors, halfbacks, who prevented anything like a good shot being sent in to Thompson. Leeming was especially clever in his attention to the Everton inside men. Some eight minutes from time Sharp raced grandly between the backs, and led upto a skirmish in the Bury goalmouth. The ball had been shot against the crossbar, and following a rush on the goal, Turner put through and reduced the lead. When close on time, Settle put out the ball to Sharp, who swing it across to Proudfoot with the result that the score were level again. Up to the finish, the play favoured Everton and a capital effort from the right was but the merest shade at fault. Nothing further was scored and a capital game ended in a draw.



December 31 1900. The Liverpool Mercury

There would be quite 10,000 spectators at Goodison Park on Saturday, when Everton apposed North End. There were a couple of changes in the North End while the side that played during the recent holiday engagements represented Everton. At 2-30 the teams lined up as follows: - Everton: - Muir, goal, Balmer and Watson, backs, Wolstenholmes, Booth and Abbott halfbacks, Sharp Taylor, Proudfoot, Settle (captain), and Turner, forwards. Preston North End: - McBride, goal, Dunn and McMahon, backs, Orrell, McIntyre, and Todd halfbacks, Henderson, Pierce, Pratt, Becton, and Green, forwards.

The game opened in a brisk pace, and from the earlier movements it was quite evident that Everton were bent apart on winning game. Their right wing were repeatedly in evidence, and several of the centres by Sharp caused the visiting defenders much anxiety. McBride put aside much capital shots, but eventually he was thoroughly beaten by a splendid effort on the part of Abbott who from fairly long range drove hard into the corner of the net. Getting to work again, Becton and Green made play on the Preston left, and Pratt looked dangerous when Balmer brought about a change of venue, which led to a further prolonged attack on the visitors goal. McBride saved many clever shots, but was at last beaten by Taylor, who converted a smart centred from Turner. It was only occasionally that the North Enders got into the home left, and then they rarely looked like scoring. At the interval Everton lead by 2 goals to nil. On resuming the Preston forwards were seen to better advantage, but still they did not give one the impression of being able to score. The home left took up the running, but now met with an improved defence, and scoring became a very difficult matter. The play was well advanced when Booth, who had run the ball almost to the line, centred to Sharp, with the result that a third goal was recorded, but play had scarcely been resumed when Becton reduced the lead. Towards the close Sharp completely outwitted the opposing halfs and backs, and racing on to a few yards from goal, out on a fourth goal and Everton won by 4 goals to 1.



December 31 1900. The Liverpool Mercury

At Deepdale, before 2,000 spectators. North End were the first away, and Henderson scored from a penalty kick. no further goals was scored upto the interval. In the second half Worthington Beat Woodhouse, Corrin repeated the effect shortly afterwards and Everton won by two goals to one. (Game 18) Everton: - Kitchen, goal, Eccles and Crelly, backs, Boyle, Green and Taylor (r), halfbacks, Roche, McDonald, Worthington, Gray, and Corrin forwards .


DECEMBER 31, 1900. The Glasgow Herald.

Beautiful weather favoured the meeting of the sides at Goodison Park, and some 10,000 spectators assembled. Everton made no changes in their team, but the North End played Pierce, Orrell, and Henderson. Everton forced the play, and the Preston goal was subjected to a severe pressure, but McBride defended splendidly. Abbott, however, scored with a very fine shot. The North End seldom looked at all dangerous, and before the interval arrived Taylor put on a another point for Everton, who crossed over leading by two goals to nil. Soon after the commencement of the second half, Becton had a fine chance of scoring for North Ned, but Muir saved in brilliant style. North End showed better football than before change of ends, but were never quite the equal of their opponents, who repeadedly shot in to McBride. Sharp at length increased Everton score, and though Becton got through for Preston, Gray scored a further point for the home side. Everton thus proved victorious by 4 goals to one.



December 31 1900. The Liverpool Mercury

The last League game of the 19 th century at Goodison Park found the Everton forwards in a more prolic goal-getting honour than with one exception, in any other previous encounter this season. On poof, unfortunate Preston was this infection thrust and the name of the once famous organisation is being sadly being in the mire by repeated reverses. On the form demonstrated on Saturday, the North Enders are about the weakest team in the League, and their position in the table cannot be wounded as if their most recent display be taken at any auriferous of what they are capable of accomplishing. They never extended Everton, and all through the place were struggling along in a disjointed sort of way that boded nothing but disaster, and for this reason there was no particular merit attacked to the victory of the home side. The game was a most one sided affair, and the excellent work of McBride in goal, was responsible for the score being kept down to a fairly respectable margin. A pleasing feature was the improved form shown by the Everton forwards in front of goal, and worthy of emulation was the persistency of the halfbacks in popping at goal. Some of the finest shots of the afternoon came from this line, and Abbott had the joy of scoring with a superb drive into the corner of the net. The forwards had matters pretty much their own way and probably would have done better, had a more powerful defence faced them. The most prominent of the five was Turner, who sprinted and centred in something like the fashion one expects from a player of his reputation. He repeatedly raced round the Preston backs, and dropped the ball accurately in front, furnishing openings, which might easily have been turned to more profitable account. Taylor also did well, and gave Sharp every opportunity of utilising his fine turn of speed by placing his passes well down the field. This brightest the attack considerably, and although matters did not always work out exactly as could have been desired, the idea were meritorious, and more in accord with a high standard. Settle was not a failure on the left wing, but it would be pleasing to be able sometimes to record that he played a distinctly fine game. This, however can hardly be expected more energy in infused into his play, and a little more determination would not cause any deterioration in the efficiency of his labours of those of the front line as a body. The capital work done by the halves has already been commenced upon and each of the trio rendered excellent services, giving the forwards every assistance's, and shooting whenever the opportunity presented itself. The backs were sound and the little that Muir had to do was accomplished effectively, but it was on rare occasions that his services were required. The only branch of the North End team merited any praise was the custodian, McBride, who gave a capital exposition and cleared many awkward shots which scored certain to find the net. Dune was the pick of the backs, but the rest of the side were very erratic in their efforts. Occasionally the forwards would break away, in something like a concerted manner, but they almost inevitably failed to reaching the home backs, though, on two occasions, when Becton raced clean through to Muir, and when Pratt seemed to have the goal at his mercy, the North Enders were unlucky in not obtaining a tangible reward. Becton shaped better than his confreres, but ought certainly to have scored when he had only Muir to beat, and Pratt in the centre was good and bad at times. The outside wing players were by no means a dangerous part of the attack, but, indeed as a body, the whole rank of forwards did not convey the impression of ever giving the opposing defence an anxious time. Their best work was done in the first quarter of an hour after the interval, but the succeeding play was all in favour of the home side. Today the Everton combination team will oppose Stoke Swift, who are the leaders of the Birmingham League. When these eleven were members of the Combination''many stern struggles took place between them, and a good game may be confidently anticipated this afternoon.