September 1900

York Herald - Monday 02 July 1900
A meeting of the Management Committee of the League was held at the Albion Hotel, Manchester, on Saturday, Mr J J Bentley presiding. Sunderland and Everton attended respecting the registration of a player named Livingstone, who had been signed by Everton on a League form- two years ago, and had also played for them under an assumed name in Scotland. It was decided that he had not been registered by Everton until after he had played, and therefore belonged to Sunder- land. Liverpool and Everton appeared regarding a player named Halliday, who had signed as an amateur for Liverpool two years ago. It was re- solved that he ought not to have been placed on the retained list last season, and Liverpool were ordered to grant him a free transfer. Oldham, of Everton, asked for his transfer. It was stated that Everton were willing to re-engage him at a big salary, but insisted upon his living in Liverpool. Oldham, however, wished to reside in Accrington. No action was taken. J Holt, the well-known International half-back, applied for the reduction of his transfer fee. As it had already been reduced no action was taken. Benbow, the centre forward of Notts Forest, made a similar application. As his transfer fee had already been reduced by one-half by hia club no action was taken. Edgar Chadwick, of Burnley, also appeared for ; the same purpose, but in his case no action was taken. The committee, however, imposed a fine of £1 The following transfers were granted:—H. Hallows, Everton to Manchester City; J. Ashworth, Everton to Woolwich Arsenal

Burnley Express - Wednesday 04 July 1900
A meeting of the League was held in Manchester on Saturday. Lindsey, of Newcastle United, was transferred to Burnley. Edgar Chadwick applied to have his transfer fee fixed, but the League took no action in the matter. Chadwick sought to have the figure fixed at £40, the same as Burnley paid Everton, who originally asked a much larger sum. But while Everton "had placed Chadwick on the transfer list, he is on Burnley's retained list, and had been asked to sign and refused, for the reason that he did not wish to play with a Second Division club. According to reports emanating from Rovers sources, Burnley wanted £75 for Chadwick's transfer. We do not know whether this is so or not, but we know this, that other League clubs —First and Second Division —have been in negotiation with Burnley with the object securing Chadwick, and have offered even better terms to Burnley. Thus, it will be seen, Burnley had a good case—a much better one than either Chadwick or the Rovers Committee imagined.

Derbyshire Courier - Saturday 07 July 1900
A meeting of the Football League Management Committee was held at Manchester on Saturday, Messrs. Bentley (president), Sidney, Hart, Radford, Lewis, and Ratcliffe being present. Everten reported Snnderland for signing Livingstone, who was a player on their retain list. The committee decided that as the form was not posted and received by the League secretary until after he had played, it was resolved that the form for Everton be cancelled under Bve-law of the International League Board, and that he be declared a properly signed and registered League piaver for Sunderland. Halliday, a player on the retain list of the Liverpool Club, applied for free transfer from that club, and as he bad signed for Everton, the Liverpool Club reported them for signing him without permission. After hearing the explanation ot both clubs, it was resolved that Liverpool ought not to have placed him upon the retain list last season, and that Liverpool be ordered to give him free transfer. Oldham, registered player for Everton, appeared and asked for a free transfer from that club, but after hearing the explanation of the Everton secretary it was resolved that no action Holt, late of Everton, applied for a revision of the amount of his transfer, and was decided that the amount transfer required having been reduced no action could be taken. Benbow, of Nottingham Forest, also applied to have the amonot of hia transfer reduced, this alee being declined. Chadwick, late Everton and Barnley, applied for hia transfer be fixed, bat in this case also being declined

Manchester Courier and Lancashire General Advertiser - Monday 09 July 1900
The fifteenth annual athletic festival of the Liverpool Police took place on the enclosure of the Everton Football Club, before about 30,000 spectators.

Wildfred Oldham
Lancashire Evening Post - Friday 13 July 1900
Wildfred Oldham, of Accrington, the centre-forward of Everton, has appealed to the Appeals Committee, owing to the League Management Committee having refused to interfere in his case. Everton, who wish to retain his services insist that Oldham should reside in Liverpool, but Oldham, who following his profession as architect at Accrington, declines to accede to the orders of the directors.

Edinburgh Evening News - Thursday 26 July 1900
James Kelso (29), 9 King Street, Renton, a fitter in the engineering works, Dumbarton, cut his throat last night. Kelso, it may be may noted, is the brother Bob Kelso, the famous footballer of Everton, end Dundee fame; and himself, after figuring in tie Renton team for a number of years, crossed the Border and played in the ranks the Liverpool Football Club

July 26, 1900. Edinburgh Evening News]James Kelso (29), 9 King Street, Renton, a fitter in the engineering works, Dumbarton, cut his throat last night. Kelso it may be noted, is a brother of Bob Kelso, the famous footballer of Renton, Everton and Dundee fame, and he himself, after figuring in the Renton team for a number of years, crossed the Border and played n the ranks of the Liverpool Football Club.

August 24 1900. The Liverpool Mercury
Wilfred Oldham the well knows centre forward of Everton, was yesterday afternoon transferred to Blackburn Rovers. It will be remembered that although Everton offered Oldham £4 10s a week to return to them, he refused because the club's rules would not allow him to keep his home at Accrington. The transfer fee have not transpired, but Everton first proposed £250

Falkirk Herald - Saturday 04 August 1900
Macfarlane, the goalkeeper of East Stirlingshire last season, signed for New Brompton on Wednesday last. I happen to know that Bab" would much rather have remained in Scotland, but his is a particularly hard case, as few clubs this side of the Border could afford to pay price which Everton demanded. He carries with him the best wishes of his late club-mates and officials.

Northants Evening Telegraph - Wednesday 22 August 1900
Edgar Chadwick, the famous Association international forward, left Blackburn last for Southampton, where he will go into immediate training with the Saints." He will partner his old Everton and international colleague, Alfred Milward, the left wing, with Toman, the ex-Burnley and Everton centre, on his other side.

Manchester Courier and Lancashire General Advertiser - Friday 24 August 1900
Yesterday the Blackburn Rovers signed on Wilfred Oldham, the Everton centre-forward. Oldham, who is in business at Accrington, had declined to obey the order of the executive to take up his residence Liverpool, and unsuccessfully appealed to the League against it. Since then Everton put him on the transfer list the price of £250. The amount paid the Rovers is not divulged.

Wildred Oldham to Blackburn Rovers
Blackburn Standard - Saturday 25 August 1900
The Blackburn Rovers club made a good capture on Thursday when they succeeded in effecting the transfer of Wildfred Oldham from Everton. this young player -he is only 21-was found by Everton three years ago playing with Accrington Stanley. He quickly developed into a fine centre-forward, and Everton offered him $4 10s. a week to return to them during the coming season, but Oldham refused, because he would not be allowed to continue his work in Accrington. Everton at first refused to place Oldham on the transfer list, but eventually did so, and, I be- lieve, fixed the transfer at £250. The terms with the Rovers, however, are not stated. Oldham is 5ft. 10in, in height, and weighs about list. 11st 71bs.

Lancashire Evening Post - Saturday 25 August 1900
Last season was a disastrous one for Everton. They were thrown out of the English Cup first round, finished among the last eight in the League, and lost £1,400. Forthcoming season Everton are doing their best achieve success by deserving it- There have been changes in the management end the players, and with good start, those thousands of football enthusiasts, than whom no greater constituency can be found anywhere, will rally round them as of old. None too many men have been engaged, for two teams, and to do justice to League and Combination programmes. The players are follows;— Goal, W. Muir and G. W. Kitchen; backs, W. Palmer (right or left), G. Eccles (right), J. Crclley, J. Watson, and J. F. Haliday (left); half backs, T. Booth (right or centre), 8. Wolstenfaolme . (right), R. H. Boyle and E. Green (centre), W. Abbott, and J. Blythe (loft); forwards, J. Sharp, J. D. Taylor, and W. Roche (outside right), J. Settle (inside right «-r r left), W. H. Dawson (inside right), J. Proudfoot (centre). A. Macdonald (inside left or centre), A. N. Chadwick (inside left), J. Turner and R. Gray (outside , left). From the above list. Toman, Moiyneux, and B. Sharp are missing, and singularly enough, all three have gone to Southampton, Everton's Cup conquerors. Toman was out of his element at Goodison Park; it would bo quite according precedent, though, if he proved rare catch for Southampton, and, say, scored , the winning goal for saints against the "Toffees” in the next Cup final! The only new players secured are Halliday, a Cheater youth, last with Crewe Alexandra, and T. Booth, a Manchester man, who played last for Blackburn Rovers; Crelley, - Watson. Wolstenholme, Green, Roche, Dawson, and A. N. Chadwick are comparatively strange names in such company, but they are either Reserve players who are to be given chance of winning first team honours, or new men who came in towards the end of last season when Everton were in low water aud helped to keep ' the craft afloat; hence they are permanently included • in the crew. Settle, it will be noticed, is retained, and i so has Sharp, who should be capital fettle for , football after the cricket aaaar –

Blackburn Standard -Saturday 25 august 1900
The Blackburn Rovers club made a good capture on Thursday when they succeeded in effectine the transfer of Wilfred Oldham from Everton. This young player— he is only 21— was found by Everton three years ago playing with Accrington Stanley. He quickly developed into a fine centre-forward, and Everton offered him £4 10s. a week to return to them during the coming season, but Oldham refused, because he would not be allowed to continue his work in Accrington. Everton at first refused to place Oldham on the transfer list, but eventually did so, and, I believe, fixed the transfer at £250. The terms with the Rovers, however, are not stated. Oldham is 5ft. 10in. in height, and weighs about list. 71bs.

August 25 1900. The Football Echo
We all know how disappointing the Everton League team was last season. There are some hopes howvever, that things will moud this. Practically the club is now under a new regime, and the directorate are going to do their best to work a big change. Several of last year's men have sought pasture new. The composition of the League team in the earlier matches may differ, but slightly from that which did duty when the curtain was run down last season. Turner will of course take the outside left position, and with Settle who, by the way, had been appointed captain of the team, ought to prove a powerful left wing-one more in accord with the past traditions of the club. McDonald Proudfoot, and J.Sharp should, in conjunction with the above pair, provide an attacking force capable of holding its own throughout the ardous combats of the season. The half backs division will be materially strengthened by the accession of Booth of the Blackburn Rovers, whilst further behind great things are expected of Halliday who came from Crewe with a big reputation as right back. Muir Kitchen, Balmer Eccles Wolstenholmes, Blythe Abbott, and Boyle, are all available for active service, and Green late of Stalybridge Rovers, who participated in some of the closing matches last year, will no doubt be afforded another opportunity of proving his worth at halfback. In addition several promising local players have been secured and native talent will not suffer from lack of encouragement. The selection committee, whose duty it was to choose the variable teams has been substituted by a reversion to the old order of procedure and each member of the directorate, will now have a voice in this matter. Death has however, been busy in these ranks, and following on the demise of Mr. Brooks, comes the sudden decease of Mr.J.Prescott, causing a loss to the club, which can scarcely be over estimated. Another familiar figure will be missed this season for Mr.Cranshaw has resigned his position on the management of the club, the chairmanship of which has been assigned to Mr.Clayton. All the players have put in an appearance at headquarters and are in as fit condition as impossible at this period. The reserves team will again participate in the Lancashire Combination, in which they gained such a high position last season, the bulk of the players being again available.

August 27, 1900. Manchester Courier and Lancashire General Advertiser
Newton Heath have signed on Albert John Schofield, of Everton, who assisted Everton for the past two seasons. He plays outside right, and has a good reputation. He will be eligible to take part in the match at Glossop on Saturday next.

Manchester Courier and Lancashire General Advertiser - Monday 27 August 1900
Albert John Schofield
Newton Heath have signed on Albert John Schofield, of Everton, who assisted Everton for the past two seasons. He plays outside right, and has a good reputation. will be eligible to take part in the match at Glossop Saturday next.

August 28 1900. The Liverpool Mercury
Everton played their usual preliminary practice game on Saturday afternoon, before a crowded concourse of spectators. The method of choosing the teams was as usual. Whites against Blues, the ground was in excellent conditions, and rendered some very good play. When the teams faced each other there were some 15,000 people present. The teams faced as follows: - Blues: - Muir, goal, Eccles and Watson, backs, Boyles, Booth, and Abbott, halfbacks Roche, Proudfoot, Young, Corrin, and Gray forwards. Whites: - Kitchen, goal, Sharp (b), and Jones backs, Brown, Clarke, and Blythe, halfbacks, Sharp, Taylor, Toman, Settle (captain), and Bell (j), forwards. Proudfoot kicked off on behalf of the Blues. After the opening exchanges Gray worked cleverly through and passed to Corrin, but the shot was wide. The Blues returned to the attack and Kitchen was called upto to save several times, midfield play followed, and after some very good exchanges, Proudfoot dribbled and placed to Settle who put in a stringer which unfortunately hit the crossbar. The play hung round Muir's goalmouth for some time, Taylor and Proudfoot each putting in good shots. The Blue custodian Muir, at this period had rather a lively time, but he did splendidly. From a goal kick Booth carried the play to the Whites Territory, Kitchen bring called upon to save a lighting shot from Corrin, Settle had hard lines for when he had placed the leather in a nice position, he was unfortunately robbed by Roche. Play was very keen in the first half. After a sharp attack by the Blues left wing, the opponent's right got away at top speed. but shot wide. At length Gray defeated Kitchen with a low shot. Half time arrived with the Blues 1 goal Whites nil. In the second half the Blues broke away, Rawcliffe obtaining the leather attacked and testing Kitchen who nicely saved. Subsequently the Whites had decidedly the best of the remainder of the game though it was not until the second half, had been in progress for twenty minutes that Settle was able to put his side on a level with the Blues. A warm time in front of Muir's terririoty gave the Blues much anxiety. Turner at Length passing over to the right wing, ending in Taylor scoring, Muir having no change in saving. Final result Blues 1 goal Whites 2.throughout the game there was a collection on behalf of the hospitals.



Jimmy Settle
Lancashire Evening Post - Saturday 01 September 1900
Settle's appointment to the captaincy of Everton came as a surprise to many. As an individual footballer he equals, even if he does not excel any other man in the team, but has always had the reputation of being rather too individual in his play, and wee bit conceited about it, too —points scarcely calculated to popularise him with his colleagues. Yet told that Goodison Park the choice of captain is left the players, so presumably James owes his election to his club males. Settle's name, of course, was made two years ago when he was into the international eleven against Ireland, and along with the other four members of the quintette, ran through the series. He failed to repeat the honours last season, but his reputation suffered little compared with those some old Evertcnians. How many men have utterly failed to come off at Everton ?

Here I am reminded of a chat with a football enthusiast at Old Trafford. He had come up to Lancashiro and Notts cricket match, and incidentally, when talking of football, he mentioned Gee, who went from Chesterfield to Everton boomed as the finest left winger in the Midland League. It never came off so expected, and is now to try his ability with Notts who think to make him into a far finer man that Chalmers last year, and about equal to Fraser, of two seasons ago who is now starting his second season with Newcastle.

Lancashire Evening Post - Monday 03 September 1900
The score in the Everton Reserves v. Preston North End Reserve match represents the play. Except for brief interval, the visitors did not show much dash; the subsequent heavy scoring' by Everton quite took the heart out of them, and North End made feeble flght at the finish. The winners were 20 minutes in getting their first goal. Afterwards they were scoring every few minutes. Nothing seemed to come amiss to them; they did just what they liked. It was quite evident throughout the game that Everton are far too good for the Combination; they ought to be in the Second League. The only weakness on their side was Halliday, a new-comer from Chester. He let in Ross frequently but then, Ross could not shoot straight.

September 3 1900. The Liverpool Mercury
Everton opened their season with a visit to Preston, and to judge from the attendance, the North End club is not likely to suffer this season from their support. Two old Northenders, in the persons of Smith and Pratt were in the team, and Holmes who has retired from the game, helped his old club out of a difficulty by partnering Dunn, Orrell on the sick list. Booth made his first appearance for Everton, and at 3-3- the sides lined up as follows: North End: - McBride, goal, Dunn, and Holmes backs Eccleston, McIntyre, and Elliott halfbacks, Smith, Pratt, Stevenson Gars, and Henderson forwards. Everton: - Muir, goal, Balmer, and Watson backs Wolstenholmes, Booth, and Abbott halfbacks, Sharp McDonald Proudfoot, Settle (captain), and Turner, forwards. There would be about 7,000 present, when Everton opened the game. The home side were the first to take up a dangerous movement which, was several times repeated only to be nullified by a bad finish. The tall grass greatly interested with the passing movements of the Everton forwards and most of their incisive attacks came from the left wing pair, who, however, met with stubborn resistance from Eccleston and Dunn. The North End forwards forced the pace considerably, and were frequently on the Everton backs, while on one occasion Gars was given an easy chance in front of Muir, but failed badly. Meanwhile Booth had been putting in useful work and kept his forwards well occupied, but goals getting was a difficult matter against the vigilant North End defenders. At the Everton end, Smith failed to convert a pass from Henderson, but a further return-result of a long kick by Holmes- enabled Stevenson to place the ball in good position for Henderson who scored after thirty-five minutes play. The game had no sooner been resumed than a splendidly concerned movement, in which Booth Wolstenholmes, McDonald, and Turner took part, resulted in the last named centering sharply to Proudfoot, who completed the movement with a swift shot from close range. The North Enders then swooped down on the Everton derfenders who, however kept them well in check and at the interval honours were divided with one goal each. After the change of end the Everton forwards were seen to greater advantage. The whole line worked with better judgement, and having got accustomed to the long grass their combined movements often resulted in the home defenders being placed in difficulties, Settle was unfortunate in having several shots charged down, while McBride was several times called upon by Turner and Sharp. The former got in many fine sprints, from one of which Sharp was given a splendid opening, but failed to take advantage. Play progressed mainly in favour of the visitors, and seven minutes from time the outside right placed his side ahead. It was a splendid goal, led up to by Booth, and McDonald. No further scoring took place, and the game end Everton 2 goals, Preston 1.

September 3 1900. The Liverpool Mercury
At Goodison park, before 4,000 spectators. Worthington started for Everton, who opened well, and played together in promising style, Corrin opened the score, and later on added a second. Green obtained the third before the interval when Everton led by 3 goals to nil. Resulting Preston North End fell away, Everton adding goal after goal, Gray, Boyle, Green, Worthington (2), and Corrin each scored again, and a one sided game ended Everton 10 goals Preston 0

September 3 1900. The Liverpool Mercury
Although it is satisfactory that Everton should opened the season with a victory away from home, it would be advisable for the supporters of the club to place too much realise upon the initial performance. The team as a body were a long time in settling down to earnest work, and it was during the earlier stages that the Prestonians were afforded several east chances that had they been put to advantage would have placed quite a different complexion upon the game. They were alive to the hard task set them, and their alacrity during the first half hour was in marked contrast to the comparatively go as you please movements of the Everton forwards. It is all very well for a side to receive its energy until the second half of the game is reached but the adoption of such a method is not to be depended upon to win matches. Three ridiculously easy chances were missed by the North End forwards before the game had been twenty minutes in progress and had they been utilised one could scarcely have looked forward with any degree of confidence to the success of Everton. North End opened the scoring after 35 minutes play, and it was from this period onwards that the goal abilities of the Everton players were in evidence. Why they should wait for a stimulus of the character that obtained on Saturday is difficult of comprehension; it is a dangerous experiment, as was amply demonstrated in several of their engagements last season. With a goal against then they appeared to grasp the seriousness of the situation, and quickly equalised while in the second half they played together with a tact and skill that were in the initial moiety strongly conspicuous by their absence. The back division now allowed no quarter, both Balmer and Watson attending to everything that came their way with conspicuous success; indeed the steady improvement by the latter became strikingly noticeable as the game were on, while towards the close the pair were so keen on the ball, clever in tackling and safe in clearing the one could pardon the little looseness that attended their earlier efforts. On his display Watson's security of tenure is likely to be established, and the last line of defence should cause no anxiety to the, clubs directors. At halfback most interest was centred in Booth, and it may at once be stated that he proved himself as resourceful as ever, and kept the front line well employed all through, when danger threatened he anticipated its quarter to a mostly, and avoiding aimless kicking always placed the ball to the best advantage. The value of his work cannot be overestimated, and his inclusion will undoubtedly tend to cement the attractive style of play between forwards and halves that football spectators of to-day delight in Wolstenholmes also played a finished game, and with Abbott in good trim the half back line was a decided success all through. With the exception of the looseness referred to, the forwards proved themselves a most capable quintet, and the two goals that were scored might be included among the most brilliant efforts in the club's history. The first, in which Turner and Proudfoot were mainly concerned with well conceived and smartly executed; while the second initiated by Booth and supplemented by McDonald afforded Sharp an opportunity, showing his fine turn of speed; trickiness a powerful shooting. Taking the play of the forwards all though, the left wing pair were the most aggressive, but shortly after the changes of ends, McDonald and Sharp tumbled to each others methods in no uncertain fashion, and it was then that the chances of the Prestonians became hopeless. The North Enders were seen at their best during the first half-hour, when their persistent go-aheadness stamped them as favourites. They appeared well trained, and stopped at nothing, and when they opened the scoring none could deny that they fully merited the success. Indeed, had they them able to stay the pace the question of superiority must have been an open one; they had shot their both, however, and Everton came in at the Finnish. Henderson at outside left, was the most serviceable forward, and it defitted the occasion that he should open the scoring. Gars and Smith failed to convert easy chances that were afforded them, and thus their otherwise good display was greatly discounted. The halfbacks were a serviceable trio, always keen on the ball, while Dunn, and Holmes played a sound game throughout. The latter turned out as an amateur, in order to help the club out of a difficulty. Orrell being on the sick list and taking into consideration the short notice, he stayed the pace wonderfully well. McBride was kept busily employed, and could not be blamed for either of the goals, scored against him. There is no denying the fact that Everton Club have a team at command capable of occupying a foremost position among the clubs of the country, and if the players would but settle down to good work in the earlier portion of their game, excellent results must accrue.

Northats Evening Telegraph -Tuesday 4 September 1900
A meeting of the Management Committee of the above- League was held West Bromwieh yesterday. J. R. Burdor, Everton, to . Blackpool ; A. J. Schofield. Everton, to Newton Heath; J. Hilligan, Everton, to Stockport; W. Oldham, Everton, to Blackburn ;

Jack Blythe
Shields Daily Gazette - Tuesday 04 September 1900
Jack blythe, the old local half-back, who has been for a couple of seasons with Everton, and is still having his services retained, commenced the season inauspiciously, in that he so injured himself in a practice match a week or so ago as to probably disable him for six weeks or more

September 5 1900. The Liverpool Mercury
At Bury, before 2,000 spectators assembled on the ground of Gigg Lane, Bury, to witness the match between the above team, for the benefit of A Montgomery, the Goalkeeper for Bury. In the first portion of the game was of an even fashion, Sagar scoring for Bury and Booth for Everton. On change of ends Settle, defeated the Bury goalkeeper. Owing to the late start (six O'Clock) it was dark when the match was finished, and Everton won by a goal to nil.

Nottingham Evening Post - Saturday 08 September 1900
In lovely weather this League match was played at Goodison Park to-day, there being about 20.000 spectators. Griffiths, tho "Wolves'* captain, was the most, notable absentee. The game was splendidly contested, and in a quarter of hour Baddeley running out, Turner scored. Proudfoot adding a second for Everton, who were in rare form, while Settle put on a third goal just before the interval. Half time:—Everton, three: Wolverhampton, none.

September 10 1900. The Liverpool Courier
The brilliant weather coupled with Everton's splendid achievement on foreign soil last week drew together a tremendous concourse of people at Goodison Park on Saturday, where Wolverhampton Wanderers were the visitors. last season,. It may be remembered, the Wolves succeeded in gaining full points, when they visited Everton but as the latter have a superior team this season, it was fully anticipated that the home contingent would atone for the disaster and turn the tables. The Everton executive are fortunate in having secured the services of the magnificent Gleam of Sunshire Band, the winners of the competition at New Brightion this season, so that visitors to the classic enclosure are sure of a fortmightly physical treat to the various games commencing Everton rolled upon the same eleven that did duty the previous Saturday, Wolves had out their full strength. Tossing for choice of position, the Wolverhampton skipper was successful, and he placed his antagonists to face a powerful sun. The Evertonians having sent the ball on its travels, the homesters worked down on pretty play by Booth, Settle, and Turner being nullified on account of the best named getting into an offside position. A rush across the playing patch gave Miller possession but he and Balmer came into collision the result being that the former back came off best, and succeeded in clearing his lines. The Everton left became busy once more, Turner having a lovely chance, when he appeared to be tripped. The game was being hotly contested and Beats, by a very judicious move, seemed certain to get the better of the opposing tactics but Balmer came to the rescue in gallant fashion. Fast and exciting play continued some magnificent work being displayed by the Everton front rank, Proudfoot making a praiseworthy attempt to defeat Baddeley, but Matthews kept the ball out. A spirited attack by the Wolves ensued. Wolstenholme rendering splendid defensive work, which led up to, a fine combined movements, in which Turner was the predominant operator, and passing at last to Booth, the latter shot grandly Baddleley saving in fine style. A half hearted attempt having been made by the Wolves, the home players were down in force, the right wing working capitally, but without success McDonald finishing touch missing by yards. A desperate rush by the visitors came to nothing, and after some useless fiddling about the teams roused themselves. Close to the centre line, Pheasant slipped when he was endeavoring to check, and Booth came on the scene. A pass from Settle carried the ball further on. Here Turner came in possession, immediately applying himself to business and soon had the ball safely netted, Everton first goal thus coming after a quarter of an hour's play. The reserse roused the visitors who made a couple of strong attacks in quick succession, Harper making the first attempt, and topping the bar, whilst a moment later Pleasnat had exceedingly hard lines with a well directed shot. A brief but fruitless incursion by Everton followed, after which, the Wolves got up on the left and the Everton goal was lucky to escapes capture, as it seemed any odds on Beats drawing level, but the ball was just driven outside after being awarded in its course by one of the visitors. At the other end, Everton were quickly busy, Sharp making a splendid effort, a curing shot being saved by Baddeley, shots from Settle and Turner having been headed away by Pheasant and Davies, the leather was sent across to Sharp, who screwed in from a most difficult position, Baddley bringing off a fine save. Turner then tried his hand, the ball just rounding the post. The homesters continued to have nearly all the game, the Wolves rarely getting beyond the half-line, but on one occasion the Evertonians were decidedly fortunate when in the course of a tremendous dash by Miller the ball went off Balmer. Returning Everton again went very strongly, a shot from settle being charged down by Davies. Booth by judicious placing gave the home front rank a further chance McDonald making a fine attempt to increase the lead of his side, without success. However, by persistent pressure, a second point was not long in coming, as from a shot by Settle Baddeley came to the ground in attempting to defend this charge, and Proudfoot rushing up planted the ball into the net for the second time. After a brief attack by the visitors the pressure was renewed by the Evertonians, some exciting work being witnessed close to the Wolves goal, the move ultimately being brought to a close by Baddeley saving finely from Turner's shot. Shortly afterwards Miller went clean away, but was persued, and well beaten, by Wolstenholmes; but the Wolves came again on the opposite wing in pretty centre from Harper being met by Watson. Here Worton came on the scene but in the hurry of the business he failed to take accurate aim. Abbott here about distinguished himself on two occasions by very fine tactics, but notwithstanding the defensive efforts of the Evertonians and they were capital, Beats managed to get in a shot, which Muir cleared the home goalkeeper bring loudly cheered for his brilliant save. Them was no mistaking the superiority of the Evertonians, the cohesion displayed in all ranks being simply perfection. Booth's judicious placing was responsible for the next goal a genuine understanding among the forwards culminating in Settle completes baffling the Wolves defence and scoring the third goal. An absortive corner to the visitors following after which Sharp made a bold but futile bid, the interval being soon afterwards announced. Half-time Everton 3 goals, Wolverhampton Wanderers nil. In the presence of 25,000 spectators Beats commenced the second half the leather being tripped back to Phesant who lunged forward, and, after another ‘'push stroke'' the Everton goalkeepers saved. A visit to Wolverhampton quarters was fruitless, and then Miller went through his men, and would have scored but for the agility of Muir. Fleming also tried his hand causing Muir to save again. Turner raced away, and gained a corner which, was not very well placed, although Watson endeavored to retrieve the situation. A bully in front of goal followed after which the Wolves right wing inside play and forced a corner, which placed the Everton goal in danger. This was cleared by Muir, but the Wolves again returned to the attack, Harper making a lovely attempts to defeat Muir. the latter saying in masterly style. A somewhat prolonged spell of attack by Everton followed the ball being shot into the net after the whistle had sounded for some informality. The free kick was well placed and after the sphere had twice been kept out, Turner rushed up, and scored the fourth goal before Baddeley realised the position of affairs. There was no question now that Everton had fully got the measure of their opponents, and within a couple of minutes Sharp enabled McDonald to register goal No.5, after smart racing clean though the backs completely beating Baddeley. Everton still continued to hold the upper hand, and Sharp tried his utmost to credit his side with a further point, the ball just going wide, whilst a few moments later Proudfoot was within inches of the desired mark. Abbott became busy in defensive work, following which, Balmer broke up the opposing advance when in very dangerous attitude. A couple of corners ensued to Wolves, Muir fisting the first over whilst the second was wrongly directed by Wharton. At this stage the Wanderers were having decidedly the best of matters. Their attempts however, to score were very weak. At length a score came at the reward for their persistency, Harper who had changed places with Poppett, receiving from one of the halfbacks and completely beating Muir. At the other end Abbott almost did the trick, Baddeley just succeeding in averting disaster. Sharp had a chance of scoring, but unselfishly gave Proudfoot the opportunity of which, he took full advantage, but on appeal to the linesman the referee ruled the point offside. From a corner Beats headed into Muir, who was exceedingly vigilant and kept out the shot valiantly. Final Result Everton 5 goals, Wanderers 1. Everton: - Muir goal, Balmer, and Watson backs Wolstenholmes, Booth, and Abbott halfbacks Sharp, McDonald, Proudfoot, Settle (captain), and Turner, forwards. Woplverhampton Wanderers: - Baddeley, goal, Davies (h), and Matthews, backs, Nurse, Phesant, and Fleming halfbacks, Harper, Poppitt, Beats, Worton, and Miller, forwards.

September 10 1900. The Liverpool Mercury
At Accrington. The visitors attacked in force, but at the critical moment Walker, the Stanley custodian ran out, and saved splendidly. Some good forward play was shown on each side, and the Stanley left wing shot very accurately. Stanley assumed the aggressive after the interval, Dryer striking the crossbar with a long shot, and then Brunton and Galdwell had a rally, butt Eccles the Everton left relieved. Later on Roche scored for Everton, Grey added a second, and a third followed from a penalty. Everton: - Kitchen, goal, Halliday, and Eccles backs, Boyle, Green and Taylor (r), half-backs, Roche, Dawson, Worthington, Grey, and Crews, forwards.

September 10 1900. The Liverpool Mercury
However Everton may progress in their journey through the League campaign, there can be no gainsaying the fact that they have commenced in really brilliant fashion. Four points in the first two games with a goal record of seven for and two against is very satisfactory, and it only requires a combination of similar form to arouse the interest, which last year demanded to an alarmingly low level, to the high pitch of previous seasons. Fortune in proverbially a fluke jade, but it is questionable whether its vagaries are so pronounced in any branch of sport as in football. In the case of both Everton and Liverpool, is the fact brought forcibly to mind, and whereas last season the reds and blues had to acknowledge defeat in the first two games, they have this year had two victories. The latest achievements of the Everton team stamps them as a most dangerous side, and if their excellence the field is assisted by the same amount of good luck that attended their efforts on Saturday-well future opponents had better prepare for equals. There were many occasions last year when Everton did not obtain the points which they play had warranted but against the Wolves they received more than they deserved, and the wide margin of 5 goals one does not accurately represent the difference of ability between the opposing sides. They certainly deserved to win, for they were unquestionably the clever team, but Muir had quite as much to do as Baddeley between the uprights, and the only difference was that the former accomplished his work accurately than the Midlanders. In the past it has been customary for these ‘'sentinels of the keep'' from the Midlands to display their powers right manfully, both at Anfield and at Goodison Park, and it was therefore somewhat of a stagger to see Baddeley kick out at an easy shot from Turner and in the most unaccountable fashion miss it. This, however was only the prelude to worse disaster, for shortly after this reverse the custodian rushed put to receive a high dropping shot from Abbott, but shaped as badly at catching the ball as he had previously been at kicking it, and Proudfoot had the privilege of scoring the second goal, whilst the goalkeeper was away amongst the backs. The third point was well earned, and Settle shot wanted some stopping, but when the fourth goal was scored, the ball was held by the custodian until Turner dashed up, and breasted it into the net. Thus out of the five points obtained; it might be safely asserted that the visitors goalkeeper was responsible for three, which in his usual form would doubtless have been avoided. Rarely indeed, have the Wolves lost five goals in their games against Everton, in fact the bulk of the matches have ended with only as goal between the teams, and as last year the former won both at Goodison Park and Molyneux Grounds, the transformation from this to a four goal defeat is really remarkable. Both sides displayed great dash in the first half and right away from the commencement did the Everton players exhibit a keenest and determination that could only have one result. The vigour infused into their efforts was astonishing and stood out in marked contrast to what was so often witnessed last season. The players did not appear to consider it necessary for the ball to come to them before taking notice of it, but on the other hand, showed commendable actively in dispossessing opponents, and in putting themselves in possession, whereby considerable advantage was repeatedly gained. Booth was largely responsible for much of the success attained by the Everton front rank though it is only fair to add that the team as a body seemed bent on winning from the start. The extra dash added to the skill of which there is abundance in the Blues at backing brigades turned the scale completely in their favour and with one common object in view, a well merited success was achieved by them. There was no dallying with the ball; straight tracks for goal were made terminated by an unhesitating shot, and this quality was the predominating feature all along the van. Abbott was the least successful of the halves, and this was the only exception to an otherwise all round display of even excellence. The Wolves forwards were very smart in midfield, and their combination was good, but when they got near Muir they failed to sustain their efforts, and their shots were net of the calibre, that is usually associated with their play. Beats was not seen to advantage and the customary swinging dashes all long the line, so dangerous to an unstable defence, were rarely witnessed. The halfbacks were the best part of the team. It one may except the right full back, Davies who both kicked and tackled with considerable success. The visitors experienced hard luck with several good shots which unfortunately for them struck the crossbar, and this, coupled with the faulty work of their custodian, may have depressed them somewhat. They plodded along in plucky fashion, and their goal-a capital one in every suspect-was thoroughly deserved.

September 11 1900. The Liverpool Mercury
Muir's Benefit Match
About 5000 spectators last evening testified to the popularity of the Everton custodian, and in these days of league, when the public will have keen competition, it must be admitted that the attendance at the ‘'friendly'' was eminently satisfactory. The beneficiary embarked upon the novel scheme of getting together local league players of Scotchmen andEnglishmen and it may at once be stated that the experiment was a decided success. The sides were very well balanced, as will be seen from the appended list of players, and the game if not tinged with the keenness which appears to have become essential to League football, was contested in a thoroughly sportsman like spirit and needless to state was greatly enjoyed. The Scotchmen were the successful in their efforts especially the forward lines, and Kitchen in the English goal, was afforded many opportunities of displaying his abilities. In the early stages a servere pressure was maintained on his charge, which eventually fell to a clever header by Walker, but the lead was not maintained long, as a capital movement down the left wing culminated in Settle defeating Muir with a shot that was altogether out of his reach. Turner left the field before the interval when the teams crossed over with the score one goal each. Immediately on resuming the Scotch forwards kept well employed by the halves were again busy, and a capital sprint and shot from Robertson placed them once again ahead of their opponents. Play proceeded on fairly even lines, and towards the close Sharp was prominent in many efforts to get through, but met with no success and the score stood Scotchmen 2 goals Englishmen 1. The sides were as follow: - Scotch players: - Muir (a), goal, Glodie (a), and Dunlop, backs, Allison, Raisebeck, and Goldie (w) halfbacks, Taylor, McGuigan, Proudfoot, Walker, and Robertson, forwards. Englishmen: - Kitchen, goal, Balmer and Arridge, backs, Wolstenholmes, Dainty and Abbott, halfbacks, Sharp, Settle Farrell, Satterthwaite and Turner, forwards.

September 17 1900. The Liverpool Mercury
Fully representative teams of these clubs as will be seen from the list of players, took the field at Aston Park on Saturday, when 30,000 spectators assembled to witness what pointed towards a keen and exciting game. At 3-30 the sides took up their position as follows : - Everton; - Muir goal, Balmer, and Watson backs, Wolstenholmes, Booth and Abbott halfbacks Sharp, McDonald Proudfoot, Settle (captain), and Turner, forwards. Aston Villa: - George, goal, Spencer, and Evans, backs, Bowman, Cowan, and Crabtree halfbacks, Athersmith Decey, Garrirty, Johnson, and Smith, forwards. The Villa had the sun behind them, and at once forced the pace, Johnson early putting in a clinking shot to Muir. Sharp changed the venue, but the Villa continued to be aggressive, and the Everton custodian had to negotiate shots from Smith and Johnson, both of which gave him considerable trouble. Garrirty eventually put through but offside spoiled his effort Breaking away. Settle was placed in possession, and eluding the backs, sent in a clever shot, which completely took the Villa custodian by surprise. This success came close upon half an hour's play, and Everton retained their lead of one goal to nil up to the interval. The second half opened at a furious pace, and the home side were evidently determined to get upon even terms. However, they encountered most stubborn opposition from Muir and his backs, though on two occasions they exercised but little judgement in attempting to improve simple openings. A clever shot at the other end by McDonald called for a supreme effort by George, and once again the Villa settled down in the Everton quarters. Getting away on the right, a fine centre was misjudged by George, and Turner being in close attendance scored an easy fashion. This second reverse fairly roused the Villa, and for a long period they hovered round the Everton goal. Shot after shot was kept out, but eventually Devey met a partial save from Muir, and reduced the lead. With but few exceptions, the home side were having most of the play, but could not get the better of a strengthened defence, and experienced their first defeat of the season by two goals to one.

September 17 1900. The Liverpool Mercury
At Goodison Park, before 3,000 spectators. Berry's won the toss and played with a strong sun at their backs, but Dawson opened the scoring. Everton had the balk of the play afterwards, but it was close to the interval before Worthington added a second goal. Half time Everton 2 goal, Berry nil. On resuming Earves had no chance with a fast shot from Worthington, and two minutes from time, Everton scored twice through (Game 3) Dawson. Everton: - Kitchen, goal, Halliday, and Eccles, backs, Greenslade, Green, and Taylor (r), halfbacks Roche, Dawson, Worthington, Grey, and Crews forward

September 17 1900. The Liverpool Mercury
Such a victory at Villa Park, cannot be over estimated. A concession of opinions subscribed to Muir, the custodian of the winning team, the credit of playing a big part in the success of his side. He was ever on the alert, and left nothing to chance. Balmer and Watson who threw their full energy into the game admirably covered him, and there could be no denying the fact that the last line of defence played a most important part in the proceedings of the afternoon. The half and full backs had opposed to them gritted and spirited forwards was so far have more than held their own, and that the ‘'Blues'' should account for them in so sweeping a fashion rebounds greatly to their credit. The speed and tactics of Athersmith on the one wing, and Smith on the other were neutralised by the class attendances of the Everton trio, who admirably flaunted each other, and played excellent football throughout. The Villa defence was equally strong, for Spencer Evans, Cowan Crabtree, and Bowman played superbly all through. George in goal was evidently not in one of his best moods, but still the first point record against him was cleverly worked for, and the second was the outcome of the backs temporarily relaxing their efforts. In the forward line Everton certainly held an advantage, for while their work was generally well distributed to a thorough understanding existent with their halves, they made progress in a fashion that often promised well. On the other hand, the Villa van were fistful, at times brilliant, at other moderate, with always a poor knowledge of the exact situation of their opponents goal. Their finishing movements must at times have exasperated their supporters, but this point must not be overlooked that they were placed in difficulties by the successful methods of the Everton backs. Taking a broad view of the game, and according full credit to the Villa for their magnificent efforts during the later stages, it warrants the opinion that strictly upon merit, a draw would have been the fairest outcome of a gallant a combat.

September 18 1900. The Liverpool Mercury
The directors of the Everton Club entertained to dinner at the Alexandra Hotel, last evening, the players associated with both the first, and second team of the club. It was one of a series of pleasant gatherings held during the season, and passed off in the most enjoyable fashion. All the Everton directors and also the players were present, and Mr. WR.Clayton occupied the chair. During the evening an interesting musical programme was presented by Messrs. G.Hill, A.Dean, F.Girvan, M.Govener, J.C.Clinton, J.Elliott, trainer, of the club and G.Gregson, who accompanied. Thanks were accorded the artists for their services and to Mr. Molyneux for the excellent arrangements he had made for the complete success of the gathering.

September 18 1900. The Liverpool Mercury
At the weekly meeting of the Everton directors held last evening, the vacancies which occurred through the secession from the board of Mr.Crawshaw and the decease of Mr.J.Prescott were filled. Mr.Horace Wright was elected in place of the late Mr.J.Prescott and will serve on the board during the next three years, while Mr.A.T.Coates a former director, will complete Mr.Crawshaw's term of office, which expires at the close of the present season.

September 24 1900. The Liverpool Mercury
The first of the League engagements between these clubs brought together over 45,000 spectators at Goodison Park. The sides were at full strength, as will be seen from the following list of players: - Everton: - Muir goal, Balmer, and Watson, backs, Wolstenholmes, Booth, and Abbott halfbacks, Sharp, McDonald, Proudfoot, Settle (captain), and Turner, forwards. Liverpool: - Perkins goal, Robertson, and Dunlop, backs, Watson, Raisebeck (captain), and Goldie, halfbacks, Robertson, Walker, Raybould, Satterthwaite, and Cox forwards. Everton won the toss, and at once tested the Liverpool defence. Settle was only a trifle wide of the mark with a swift shot and from a free kick against Raisebeck, Sharp sent in a terrific shot to which Perkins cleverly attended. The pace was highly strong the home side being slightly more successful with their movements, but eventually Cox was afforded an opening but could not get the better of wolstenholme. Gradually the play became open, and both sides, particularly the halfbacks, who covered the rearguard so ably that neither custodian was called upon for a considerable period, showed some very fine football. Proudfoot lost a chance of scoring by failing to take a pass from Turner, and directly following the Everton goal had a marvellous escape from a capital centre by Robertson, both Cox and Satterthwaite being at fault when but a few yards from Muir. Attacking again, Raisebeck conceded a corner, which was well taken, and from a return, McDonald headed into the net, play having been in progress 30 minutes. Play continued fast and interesting up to the interval, without further scoring. The second half opened in sensational fashion. The ball had no sooner been put into play, than Cox lifted it over Wolstenholmes and Raybould racing up, slipped between the backs and scored in the first minute. This success put new life into the play of the Liverpool forwards, but there was no defeatening the backs, of whom Balmer stood out conspicuously in sound defence. Abbott attempted to score from long range, and for some time afterwards neither side could claim any advantage. Free kicks were now frequent, and from one of them, Perkins saved splendidly from Settle, while shortly afterwards Bootle just skimmed the upright with a fast low shot. Towards the close Sharp had the better of a tussle with Dunlop, and shot in apparently, out of Perkins reach, but the custodian cleverly yet luckily, met the ball with his foot and prevented a certain score. Everton pressed severely, and the keeper had again to save from a corner kick, but no further score was forthcoming and the game ended in a draw of 1 goal each.

September 24 1900. The Liverpool Mercury
At Harpurhey. Berry's at once pressed, a few minutes after the start the first goal was scored for Berry's Gillespie heading through. A neat passing movement on the part of the visitors forwards was pretty nipped in the bud by Riley. Everton exerted themselves to the utmost to equalise and at last their efforts were rewarded, Corrin scoring with a terrific shot. When the interval arrived the scored stood: - Berry 1 goal Everton 1. Resuming play for a time was uninteresting. A splendid chance when close in was given to Lever, but he failed badly, Berry repeatedly got the ball in their opponents goalmouth, but bad shooting stopped them scoring. A second goal was scored for Everton after some neat passing by the forward. Result Everton 2 goals, Berry 1. (Game 4)

September 24 1900. The Liverpool Mercury
Various reasons tended to make the first of the season's meeting between Everton and Liverpool at Goodison Park a memorable one. Three victories off the reel by both clubs had roused public feelings to an abnormal pitch, and the manner in which these successes had been obtained had caused all the old0time enthusiasm to burst forth in an overwhelming torrent. A period of misfortune, extending practically over a whole season, had sadly shaken the ardour of the sport-loving community, but this depression, though galling at the time, has served a useful purpose and jumping from the huge attendance on Saturday and indeed since the season opened, the good things that are now being spread out for the delectation of the crowds at Anfield and Goodison Park are all the more appreciated after last year's failure. From two teams, which by their previous excellent displays had demonstrated their right to be reckoned amongst the leading organisation of the country, an exhibition of superiative skill and ability had been naturally anticipated and it is satisfactory to record that these expectations were realised to their fullest extent. It often happens that in meetings between two rival teams, under conditions similar to those which prevailed at Goodison Park, the general excitement of the crowd imparts a like feeling amongst the players, with the result that good football is rarely witnessed. It is therefore all the more pleasing to record that in the game under notice the players entered into the fray with the determination to play the game as it should be played and the greatest credit is due to both teams for the excellent manner in which the contest was fought, and the grim stubborn combat which ended-as all fair minded sportsmen could but say was a satisfactory termination-in a draw. No harder or more determined struggle has been played by the teams for many a day, for the pace was tremendous from start to finish, and whilst one side appeared to be gaining the ascendancy, and applied extra pressure for a short period, this was but a temporary triumph, for the other side put forth fresh vigour, and demonstrated their superiority only to be again, baulked and their advantage neutralised. And so on throughout the chapter but all the time the earnest efforts put forth, the high standard of play and the brilliant individual efforts of first one and than another which, finished forth motor like amidst a host of other luminous gleams, kept the interest marvellously sustained until the final whistle blew. Not even in the most exciting exchanges did the players lose their heads, but excellence on one side was opposed by equal cleverness on the other a daring sweep of the forwards was driven back by a granite like defence, and the most skilful; moves checkmated. Whilst one hardly knew which to admire the more assailant or defender. Every man on the field put forth his best efforts towards success, and if one did show to more advantage than his fellow this must be writ down as due to over anxiety to do well. Some features of course stood out prominently, from the general average of excellence, and chief in this respect come the splendid custodianship of Perkins and the superb work of both sets of halfbacks. Wolstanholmes must have been sworn in as special constable for he shadowed Cox and Satterthwaite to such an extent that this effective portion of the Liverpool attack was shorn of much of its keenest. The tussles between them were delightful, and the halfback had seldom to acknowledge himself beaten. At the other extremity of the line Abbott simply revelled in work, and the ex-Small Heath player has rarely equalised his display against his side's keenest rivals. The harmony between forwards, and halves was most marked, the judicious placing with low Sharp touches was effective in the extreme, and eight more dangerous tacticians have seldom represented Everton on the field. Without displaying dazzing brilliancy of individual spasmodic excellence, an equal result was attained by the combined average ability of the whole body working together in cornered action, a state of affairs which must be most gratifying to the executive for in League football this stamp of team is the one to achieve notoriety. On the side of the ‘'Reds'' one could almost apply the same remark. The prominent figure in every movement, weather of attack or defence was the capable captain (Raiseback) now taking the ball clean from an opponents toes and urging on his forwards with a well judged pass now darling to the assistance of his backs and checking many a dangerous rush, always when danger threatened or opportunity presente4d itself was the light-haired scot. His partners on either side followed the example thus set, and ably led by Raybould the forwards showed that to baffle their attempts required the highest order of defence. It was a quaint conceit on the part of Cox which gave the centre forward his opportunity to score the equalising goal, and it is becoming clearly apparent that when Raybould gets the ball anywhere near the half-backs there are stormy times in store for some one. Both sides missed easy chances, but these were equally distributed, and their effect was but to add piquancy to the furture play. The backs did some magnificent work, Dunlop being quite a host in himself, never failing with his kick and guarding the agile Sharp with leech like tenacity. Robertson ably maintained his position, but to Perkins must be awarded special mead of praise. His work was of the highest calibre, and he came through the ordeal in great style. In the first half he demonstrated his worth in taking an extra fast one from Sharp, but it was in the second portion, when Sharp again gave him a tremendous one from a few yards range, that the fairly brought forth the applause of the multitude, and earned the grateful thanks of all the Reds supporters. On the other side Balmer was the leading feature of the defence, but Muir was always on the alert, and though Watson was lacking at times in decision there was no cause for great alarm in this particular department. It was a great game splendidly contested by a couple of really grand teams, and whilst neither side deserved to win, each fully merited the one point gained. The players rose to the occasion in a manner which befitted a meeting of giants, and the Liverpool public should consider themselves fortunate in having two such capable teams upholding their interest. May the return meeting furnish another struggle so gallantly fought and honourably drawn.

September 25 1900. The Liverpool Mercury
David Jardine Benefit Match
The Everton team visited Wrexham yesterday to Wrexham, a friiendly game for the benefit of David Jardine who has kept goal for both clubs. H.Stafford (Newton Heath) and A.Lockely (Druids) assited the home side. The attendance was a large one, and they had the pleasure of witnessing a several excellent attacks were made by both sets of forwards, but the defences proved sound, and no goals were scored, the game thus ending in a draw

Wrexham Advertiser - Saturday 29 September 1900
An Everton team visited Wrexham on Monday afternoon, in a match for the benefit of Jardine, the late goalkeeper for the local team. we say an Everton team, because there did not happen to be one of the Everton First Division men in the team that opposed Wrexham. but that was to the advantage of those who visited the Racecourse, because the match which resulted was very even, and therefore much more interesting than would have been a one sided encounter. the day was propitions for the event and the visitors certainly looked smart on the field in their white pants and blue jerseys. Wrexham had a good strong team. it includes Stafford, the well known full back of Newton Heath; Lackley, the Druids centre forward; and Trainor, a well-known local veteran. The elevens lined out in the following order; Wrexham; Evans, goal; Stafdford and Blew, backs; Grainger, Robinson, and Harrison, half-backs; Griffiths, Trainer, Lockley, Gordon, ad Owen, forwards. Everton; Kitchen, goal; Halliday, and Eccles, backs; Dabbs, Shade, and Taylor, half-backs; Roche, Dawson, Worthington, Gray, and Corrin, forwards. Mr. F. Evans, of Wrexham was the referee. Wrexham started the leather, and in the first minute Kitchen was called upon to handle the ball. midfield play followed for a few minutes, during which Lockley was conspicious. after five minutes' Lockley had hard lines, the ball missing in a low shot by about six inches. play ruled mostly in the Everton territory, and after some good work by the home quintette, Owen met with a similar fate to the centre forward, with almost a similair shot. a stample was then made to the other half, and danger was averted by the ball going outside. A little later Worthington was in a nice position, when he passed to Roche, who, however, was ruled offside when prepairing for his shot. play was transffered to the other quarters and Grainger shot past a little too high. Griffiths was next applaude for a fine rush, but his finishing effort was weak, and Kitchean easily saved. Luckley then rushed up, and was ruled off side when about to take advantage of an easy opening. Another rush on the home citadel took place, but the home custodian was equal to the occasion. From a pass by Griffiths, Trainor made a splendid but futile effort when in close quarters. The visitors next had a spell of attacking, but the home defence withstood the test, and Trainor, getting away in fine style, passed to Griffiths, who tried an oblique shot, which was stopped by tbe visitors' goalkeeper. The same Player was tripped when rushing down, and had he been a yard nearer a penalty would have resulted. Griffiths and Lockley each made creditaole efforts, and desultory play followed at the other end. Trainor caused much amusement by handling the ball when he failed to head it, and Kitchen catching it, play was transferred to mid-field. Gordon sent in a flying diagonal shot, which was cleverly stopped by Kitchen. End to end play followed, and at half-time neither side had scored. The opening stages after resumption were rather tame, but the game became faster in a short time, and after about ten minutes' operations Evans effected two clever saves. The visitors pressed, but lacked vigour in front of goal, whilst their shooting was not good. Dawson shot wide when in close quarters, and splendid passing was next displayed by the home left wing. Owen made an energetic rush, but shot too Boonr whilst atari ,rd stopped a heavy charge from Dawson. Blew conceded a corner when hard pressed, but thia was futile. At the other end Trainor was to the fore, and Griffiths shot outside. Exciting play followed, in which Trainor was applauded, and danger resulting from a corner granted by Blew was well averted by Evans. Lockley again rushed up, and was attempting to score on his own, when he was robbed. A similar fate befel Griffiths, and Lockley had another try, but narrowly missed. Time came with the score still Wrexham 0 Everton 0 Wrexham Victoria, none.