March 1902

Lancashire Evening Post - Saturday 01 March 1902
At Stoke, before 7,000 spectators. Stoke were without Halford and Hales. McDonald scored one minute from the start from a splendid pass from Johnson. Roose soon afterwards mulled a fast shot from Young, a most giving away a goal. Ashworth set Lockett going and the latter tricking Wolstenholmes and Balmer, centred well. kitchen cleverly cleared with McDonald upon him. Smart work by Settle and Bell caused Roose to clear on several occasions, benson eventually punting away. After midfield play, Settle judiciously passed out to Bell, who shot grandly, the ball swerving under the bar, where Roose punched it out. Clrke now left the field and Booth immediately equalised with a low, fast shot. Ashworth aggain passed out, this time to Johnson, who rushed straight in and centred. Watson heading over. Everton again worked down, and Roose saved brilliantly from Settle. The latter again shot outside when very well placed. Half-time; Stoke 1, Everton 1

Alfred Chadwick
Lancashire Evening Post - Saturday 01 March 1902
Alfred Chadwick, tbe old Btadcburn and Everton back, was on the line at Preston last week, brother Edgar, the most famous of the footballing brothers, was assisting in the defeat of Bury; a third brother was on the same afternoon playing in the Everton League against Blackburn Rovers. Alfred, by the by, is a thorough all-round sportsman, and though no longer an active participant in the winter game, he turns out regularly in the cricket season, playing as captain of one of the local Blackburn clubs. He is a punishing bat and a good field.

March 3 1902. The Liverpool Courier
McDonald scores 30 seconds from start, while Abbott scores the winner 30 seconds from the finish
The return League match between Everton and Stoke was played on Saturday in the pottery town. The weather was usually genial being all in favour of a big gate. Everton were at full length, but Stoke were without Hales and Holford. The teams were as follows: - Everton: - Kitchen, goal, Balmer and Sharp (B), backs Wolstenholmes Booth (captain), and Abbott half-backs Sharp (j), Taylor, Young, Settle, and Bell, forwards. Stoke City: - Roose goal, Becton and Clarke, backs, Meredith, Ashworth, and Bradley, half-backs, Johnson, Higginson, Watkins, McDonald, and Lockett, forwards.

Everton won the toss, and had both the sun and alight breeze their favour. Stoke at once got going, and improved their prospects by obtaining a free kick against Bell. Benson placed the ball well up, and following a saved by Kitchen off Watkins, the ball was beautifully centred by Johnson, McDonald completing the movements with a shot which gave Kitchen no earthly chance of saving. This success came before the game was a minute in progress, and naturally placed the Everton men on their mantle. They immediately raced down into the Stoke half, and an opening was made for Young, who, however, hanged the ball wildly over the bar. Bell eventually eluded Benson and put in a swift shot, which Roose in fisting out sent against Young, and the custodian was extremely fortunate in meeting the rebound when only a couple of yards away from the line. The Everton forwards were just now in good trim, particularly the left wing, but all that resulted from a fine cross shot from Settle was unproductive corner. Eventually Lockett availed Wolstenholmes, and a distinct chance was given to Watkins who did not avail himself of the opening. This breakaway, after quite ten minutes pressure by the Evertonians infused new spirit into the play of the home forwards, and when Kitchen was beset with difficulties an offside ruling came to his rescue checked another dangerous moment, and when Stoke looked like getting well into their stride again headway was lost from a foul throw in. Johnson and Bert Sharp had many tussles, in which the Evertonians more than held his own. A brisk attack by the Stoke forwards ended in McDonald being penalised for offside. Following this the Everton forwards pulled themselves together, and a fine concerned movements; in which the whole took part looked like beinging a tangible point, when Bell lost his foothold. There was an undercurrent of superiority all though the movements of the Everton players, and it eventually asserted itself which Booth, after closely following up his forwards drove low in at the corner of the net, equalising after half an hour's play. A determined swoop was now made upon. Kitchen's charge, and when McDonald seemed likely to get through one of the Everton defenders cause under the notice of the referee within the twelve yard line. A free kick of the ordinary character was awarded and the suspense was relieved on Jack Sharp racing through and putting the ball out of danger. At this juncture much headway was lost by Everton through Young getting offside; particularly on one occasion, when Taylor had more than an outsider's chance of scoring, Settle had a ridiculously easy chance being right on the goal line with only Roose to beat. The custodian was immediately facing, and as before, the ball was driven right at him. A moment later the little international sent in the best shot so far of the game, and it was with a magnificent effort that Roose, prevented disaster. During the last 15 minutes Clark was off the field. This was to be regretted in more than one sense, for by resorting to the one back game, Everton were often pulled up for offside. Half-time Everton 1; Stoke 1. On resuming, Stoke had their full team, and the play was witnessed by fully 10,000 spectators. The first movement of promise came from the Stoke left, but Abbott and Young transferred the play, which was supplemented by J.Sharp and Taylor directed a shot at Roose, who just reached the ball with a flying kick. Relief came to Stoke, the result of offside by the Everton outside right. Steadily Everton pressed their opponents, and for some few minutes, both the Stoke halves, and backs were kept fully extended. Booth was playing a successful game, with the result that the Blues were often in possession, and when scoring looked certain, Taylor, but over the line. The game was keenly contested, and just on time Abbott scored the winning goal for Everton. Final time: - Everton 2; Stoke 1.

March 3, 1902. Nottingham Evening Post
Colliery Fatality
William Malley, a pony driver, was killed on Saturday morning while at work in Clyde Colliery, Hamilton. He was engaged in clearing a roadway, and while his horse was going up a “brae” with “hutch” the breeching of the harness broke, causing the “hutch” to run backward. In trying to stop it, Malley was knocked against a prop, which gave way, and he was pinned against the “hutch” his ribs were pressed upon his heart, death being instantaneous. Deceased was in his day a well-known footballer, having played for Everton for two seasons.

March 3 1903.
Lancashire Combination (Game 24)
Everton: - Muir, goal, Watson, and Eccles, backs, Boyle (captain), Clark, and Blythe, half-backs, Rankin, Paterson, Bowman, Bone, and Chadwick (j), forwards.

March 3 1902. The Liverpool Mercury
The Everton team must be congratulated upon their highly meritorious performance at Stoke on Saturday. The victory was achieved not so much by the cleverness of forward play but by the alertness and outstanding ability of the defence, particularly the half-backs. It one player could ever claim in great measure the benefit of victory for his side, Booth on Saturday certainly deserved that high and distinguished position. Always a sterling exponent of half-back play, the Everton captain simply excelled himself in the match under notice for while mindful of the needs of his forwards he was never at fault in checking the at times strong rushes of the Stoke' attack. Admitting the general excellence of Everton display, and the fact that they practically monopolised the attack in the second half, it is only fair to Stoke to state that the winning goal came with thirty seconds from time, and that was due not so much to the visitors cleverness as the ill considered tactics of Roose, the home custodian. As our readers are probably aware, the resourceful amateur has a tendency to leave his goal, and in this matter his fondness for carrying the ball resulted in a concession to Everton that led up to Stoke losing a couple of valuable points. Although the winning goal only came in the last minute of play, there was no doubt whatever that Everton were much the smarter team. Had their forwards combined in anything like their usual style, the margin of victory must have been much greater that two goals to one. Unfortunately, Young in the centre forward position, failed to keep good command of his wings, and exhibited a too marked tendency for getting offside, and his mistake in the latter direction in several instance materially afforded the play of his colleagues. Allowance can, of course, be made for the period that Stoke resorted to the one full back system, but it was at other times a striking fault which unhinged many a promising movement towards success. Taking into account the fact that both Settle and Bell had been suffering from injuries, it was quite agreeable to record that they were once more acting at the pivot of the Everton attack. On Saturday, it is true, they had not many opportunities of shinning, but this must be attributed to the cleverness of Ashworth and Meredith, who rarely indeed allowed any quarter. The little International, however, lost a couple of excellent chances in the first half and probably none were more disappointing than himself, while Bell gave Roose several warm shots to clear. There was little of omen from the other forwards, and to the midway line must be accorded the greatest prise. Sufficient has been stated of the prowess of the skipper, but those on either side of him were good seconds, and in estimating the services of the trio, no better testimony can be given than that both goals came directly from this quarter. The value of closely following up the forwards were exemplified when Booth opened the score, and when in the closing minutes Abbott had accurately anticipated a corner kick, even the Stoke crowd could not but admit that the visitors fully deserved their victory and that the half-backs were much to be complimented. Further behind, Balmer played a masterly game, for he was never beaten, and it is a pleasing duty to record that Bert Sharp continues to improve, and van his confreres a very close race, while the watchful Kitchen was always ready for the best of Stoke's efforts. The home eleven had not until Saturday appeared in a League match at the Victoria Ground since January 11 th . Their experience is not at all pleasant, and it is rather remarkable considering that they had not been beaten on their own ground since opening match of the season with Bury, when curiously enough, the East Lancashire team gained the verdict by a precisely similar score that Everton obtained. The forwards are a hard working, but they were unfortunate in opposing the Everton half-backs on the top of their form. Johnson was always a dangerous player to deal with, and many of his centres merited better results, which at halfback Ashworth and Meredith were untiring, both in their attention to those in front and in unhinging the offensive tacks of the quintet. There was nothing striking in this display of the backs except that Clark was inclined to let defeat get the better of his temper, and on one occasion matters looked likely to take a series turn, Roose kept a good goal, but he may let his side down anytime by his penchant for carrying the ball, for on several occasions on Saturday, there were doubts as to whether he had exceed the limit.

Diss Express - Friday 07 March 1902
William Malley, a pony driver, was killed on Saturday morning while at work in Clyde Colliery, Hamilton. He was engaged in clearing a roadway. and while his horse was going up a "brae" with a “hutch,” the breeching of the harness broke, causing the hutch” to run backward. In trying to stop it, Malley was knocked against a prop, which gave way, and he was pinned against the “hutch,” his ribs were pressed upon his heart, death being instantaneous. Deceased was in his day a well-known footballer, having played for Everton for two seasons.

March 7 1902. The Liverpool Mercury
Lancashire Comination (Game 25)
The return match was played at Goodison Park in capital weather, and before a good gate. Glossop started operations, Everton pressing from the outset, Proudfoot testing the visiting custodian with a fine shot, which was cleared magnificently, Glossop then took up the running, and Muir's charge was made the scene of hostilities for some time, the Everton goalkeeper getting away a ground shot in good style. Everton again attacked and got well in front of the Glossop goalmouth, but the visitors defence was very safe, and the Blues were compelled to retire. The home goal was again assailed, and Muir's abilities were tested to the utmost, the home goalkeeper cleaning three brilliant shots at close quarters. Everton now got off on the left, but their efforts to penetrate the Glossop defence was futile. The visitors backs playing a grand game. Smart forward play by the visitors was next witnessed and Glossop got within easy shooting distance of the Muir's goal, but a free kick against them spoilt their chances, and Everton once more took the play to the other end, where Brown and Rankin shot in, the visiting goalkeeper saving nicely. Proudfoot a minute later, when right in front of goal, missed a fine opening by shooting over the crossbar. Even play followed, the visitors it anything showing the better for, Half time Everton nil; Glossop nil.

On resumption of play, Everton went off strongly, and kept the visitors busy defending, Brown tried a shot at goal, but the ball went over the bar. The Glossop quintet at length got possession, and went with a nice attack up the field, but Everton were back again in a trice and bombarded the Glossop goal. After repeated attempts by the Blues to open an account, Proudfoot shot, the goalkeeper rushing put to save, but Chadwick charged him, and succeeding in placing the leather into the net. The visitors made a strenuously effort to get on even terms, but without avail. Patterson scored a second goal for Everton. Everton maintained the pressure, and Chadwick further augmented the home score. Everton were playing a splendid game, and the Glossop goal had many miraculous escapes. Bowman shot in, and the Glossop Goalkeeper caught the leather in hard, but failed to hold it, the ball going into the net, much to the amusement of the spectators. Paterson added an another point shortly after this Everton having the best of the game and won 5 goals to nil.

Teams: -Muir, goals, Watson, and Eccles, backs, Boyle (captain), Clark, and Blythe, half-backs, Rankin, Paterson, Bowman, Bone and Chadwick forwards.

Lancashire Evening Post - Saturday 08 March 1902
The home team were without Settle and Bel!. Whittaker soon stopped good attempts by Sharp and Taylor, and Young ran in, but Bromley stopped him. The Fishermen's forwards were out classed, but their defence was good, and withstood tricky by the home five. The first corner fell to Grimsby, and a bad miss by Balmer was just saved by Kitchen. Bone gained a corner for Everton, from which Fletcher and Reynoldson made the play. A fine centre by Fletcher was beautiful taken by Appleyard and the ball was under the home bar when offside was sounded. Everton played up after this narrow escape. Still there was too much trifling with the ball and the Grimsby defence was sterling. Whittaker fisted out from Singleton. Play continued of a give and take order, and kicking into touch made it monotonous. Taylor and Young obstructed each other, and a good chance was lost. Both custodians were busy. Half-time; Everton 0, Grimsby 0

March 10 1902. The Liverpool Mercury
On Saturday Grimsby Town appeared for the first time at Goodison Park in the premier division of the League. The weather was not too favourable for a big attendance, drizzling rain falling some time before the match began. Everton were short of Wolstenholmes, Settle, and Bell, Clare, Bone, and Singleton, taking their places, while on the visiting side Bromley appeared for Gray, at centre half. The teams were: -

Everton: - Kitchen, goal, Balmer, and Sharp (b) backs, Clark, Booth (captain), and Abbott, half-backs, Sharp (j), Taylor, Young, Bone, and Singleton, forwards. Grimsby Town: - Whittaker goal Mountain, and McConnell, backs, Hall, Bromley, and Nelmes, half-backs, Fletcher, Ronaldson, Appleyard, Long, and Gardner, forwards.

Everton having won the toss, Appleyard kicked off a couple of minutes after time before about 10,000 spectators. The home team were the first to make headway, but they were easily driven back, and play settled down in midfield. Ronaldson fouled Abbott, but the free kick was not utilised and the visiting left wing became dangerous, until Balmer neatly pulled up Gardner. Then Taylor and J.Sharp got away, and the ball went out to Singleton, whose centre was lacking in accuracy. A long shot from Booth went the wrong side of the upright, and next Fletcher and Ronaldson ran the ball down nicely until the former was pulled up presumably for offside. Taylor was penalised, and the Grimsby men, worked their way into the vicinity of the Everton goal without effect, the game so far being singularly devoid of interest. At length the visiting forwards made matters warm for the Everton defence. First Kitchen in fisting out from Long, conceded a corner, and from this Bert Sharp missed his kick in the goalmouth. Kitchen however, easily cleared, and in a twinkling he was called upon by Hall. Suddenly play was transferred to the other end where Bone tested Whittaker with a fine shot, which the custodian scooped out at the expense of an abortive corner. Grimsby retaliated and when a score seemed likely Long was penalised for charging the goalkeeper. By dint of sheer determination Everton carried the play into their opponents territory, where Booth, evidently having his mind his success at Stoke the previous Saturday, put in a bouncing shot which gave Whittaker trouble. There was more dash about Everton's play at this period, but in front of goal, there was a tendency to dally with the ball instead of shooting. The home left wing did some smart things, but at this period they were rather outclassed. For some minutes, Everton maintained a persistent attack, but they rarely appeared likely to penetrate the Grimsby defence. At the other end, Long shot wide. And next a pretty centre by Singleton right into the goalmouth was heartily applauded. Everton had the bulk of the play, but there was a woeful lack of incisiveness in their attack. With practically only the goalkeeper to beat Young missed his kick, and than a sudden bust away on the part of Fletcher and Appleyard produced some excitement, especially when it was seen that Gardner had a glorious chance of opening the score. To the disappointment of his colleagues, he failed to utilise the opening. After this the pace improved and both sides showed to better advantage. Neither side had scored when the interval arrived. On resuming Everton dashed off in promising style, but the custodian was not troubled, the visiting defenders sticking closely to their men. Young was upset just outside the penalty line, and J.Sharp had a try from long range, only to find the ball curl the wrong side of the upright. After two corners to Everton, Fletcher ran the ball down three parts of the length of the field, and his fine individual efforts deserved a better fate than it received, for he shot the ball yards the wrong side of the post. To this Everton responded with alacrity, but again the old fault was evident, and the crowd were not surprised when Young shot slowly into Whittaker's hands. Then Appleyard was conspicuous, and presented an opening to Fletcher, who however, muddled his chances of giving his side the lead. The visitors were now having rather more of the play, and occasionally looseness, prevailed amongst the Everton defence. A quarter of an hour from the finish, Nelmes scored for Grimsby from a scrimmage in the goalmouth. Final result Grimsby Town 1 goal Everton nil.

London Daily News - Monday 10 March 1902
A surprising result was the outcome of this match at Everton on Saturday, for, in the presence of 12,000 spectators, Grimsby beat the home team by one goal to none, The opening play was dull and lacking in incident, Everton being very weak in front of goal. The interval arrived with nothing scored, and although Everton subsquently obtained several corners, they failed to make the best of their chances. Towards the close Nelmes scored for Grimsby from a scrimmage, and this point sufficed to give the visitors the victory in a poor game.

March 10 1902. The Liverpool Courier
Lancashire Combination.
At Acrrington, before 5,000 spectators. Stanley went off with great dash, and liberally over whelmed the Everton defender. Gardner and Golding scoring for Stanley within ten minutes. Everton rallied and Proudfoot scored, but the point was disallowed for offside. Stanley had a strong wind behind them. Again Everton pressed, and Wright forced a corner. Oldham relieved and Watkins scored for Stanley. Paterson scored for Everton. Interval Stanley 4 goals, Everton 1. Result Stanley 4, goals Everton 2.

Everton: - Muir, goal, Watson, and Eccles backs, Boyle (captain), Clark, and Blythe, half-backs, Rankin, Paterson Bowman, Bone, and Chadwick forwards.

March 10 1902. The Liverpool Mercury
Grimsby one, Everton none. Need anything more be said about the game? It must be admitted that the symmetrical cypher attached to Everton's title faithfully portrays the extent of their ability displayed against the Fishermen. Not only did they fail to score, but they exhibited a woeful lack of dash, combination, and deadliness near goal, which practically occurred disaster throughout the piece. A fortnight ago the Rovers showed them their failings, the comparative of their movements, and their weak attempt to locate the goal; but one could understand this to some extent, for the East Lancashire eleven had acquired a promising reputation by reason of a succession of smart triumphs. But Grimsby were looked upon as being of inferior quality and without any intention of casting a slight upon the east coast eleven. They were naturally anticipating, as fairly easy victims. They made the journey to Liverpool on Friday, and spent the night at Southport, thus leaving nothing to chance as far as they were concerned. But it is safe to assert that had Everton shaped even moderately well, they would have been equal have been equal to accounting for their opponents, and the fact that they were vanquished, will therefore under the circumstances, demonstrate the nature of their work. Even by stretching one's imagination to breaking points, it would be impossible to draw attention to any redeeming feature about the play of Everton in this match. The forwards appeared incapable of scoring, or of maintaining a continued attack of any degree of keenness. Their passing was faulty, and as often went to an opponent as to one of their own side. Young never got the wings going in anything like concerted fashion, and this was due at much to the feeble work of the inside forwards as to the fact of himself being off colour. Taylor and Bone were dreadfully weak, and Sharp was by no means a success. There was no cohesion between the members of the front line, and even when they did obtain a favourable opening they either dallied with the ball, until the chance had disapperced or they made some most inexcusable blunder. Singleton started well, and sent across some excellent centres, but in the second half his ability was less conspicuous and dwindled away to the level of the remainder. The Everton forwards are evidently stale, and for players of their reputation their exhibitions in the last two home game have been as starting as they been ineffective. Considered from another point of view, this is satisfactory in the sense that if they do change at all an improvement is bound to result, for they can scarcely descend to a lower depth of puerility. The half-back line showed little better form. Rarely has Abbott been beaten with such consummate ease, and with international caps hovering about it would be impossible to urge the claims of the left half on Saturday's display. Booth played a hard game, but even he was not as effective as usual, and Clark was good and had alternately with a considerable preponderance of the latter quality intermingled. The full backs were likewise very faulty for Balmer was languid in his returns there was wanting the customary dash and verse which are such characteristic features of his work when in form. Sharp made several blunders, and none greater than the one which gave Grimsby a free kick, and which led up to the visitors securing the only goal of the match. Kitchen had not a decent shot to stop, for Grimsby mulled as many openings as would have won a couple of games. The visitors would probably be more surprising, at the result than the home supporters, but they deserved their victory. Whittaker was equal to every emergency in goal, and Mountain played a good game at right back. The halves were more determined than brilliant, and in the forward line Gardner contributed some dashing sprints, as did Fletcher on the extreme right, but in front of goal the Fishermen made some inexcusable blunders. Such games as the one under notice, however, force one to the plain question-Where is Liverpool football vanishing to 1.

March 17 1902. The Liverpool Mercury
Weather of the most lovely description favoured the match between Everton and Sunderland at Goodison Park, and there were about 20,000 spectators present, when the game started. The Lord Mayor (Right Hon. Charlies Petrie.) and several members of the City Council were present. On the Everton side Eccles superseded Bert Sharp, while Cragg took the place of McLathchie in the Sunderland team. The teams were: -

Everton: - Kitchen, goal, Balmer and Eccles, backs, Wolstenholmes, Booth (captain), and Abbott, half-backs, Sharp, Taylor, Young, Settle, and Bell, forwards. Sunderland: - Doig, goal, McCombie, and Watson, backs, Ferguson, McAllister, and Jackson, half-backs, Hogg (w), Hogg (r), Miller, Gemmill, and Craggs, forward. Booth won the toss, and Sunderland kicked off against a bright sun, and in the teeth of a variable breeze. The game opened in spirited fashion, and after Taylor made a bad pass to J.Sharp, Bell was fouled by W.Hogg. Following the free kick Eccles did smart work, and almost unexpectedly Doig had to deal with a dangerous shot, from Young. The Everton forwards were quite a different team to that which represented the club last week. There was no mistaking their determination, and the pace was terrific. Before five minutes had elapsed, Settle centred, and Young fastened upon the ball cannoning off Ferguson, who completely beat Doig with a lovely ground shot. This success was naturally received with tremendous cheering. The game continued to be contested in vigorous fashion, the ball travelling from end to end with marvelloous rapidly. The Everton front line, time after time nonplussed the visiting defence, their smartness being cordially appreciated by the crowd. From a centre by Settle the ball was banged against Doig by Taylor, who, however, was ruled offside. From a free kick the visiting left was conspicuous, but again sterling defence was offered to the clever attack, and no impression could be made upon Kitchen. At the other end Taylor, was presented with a nice change, but he kicked very poorly. The game was delayed for some minutes owing to the injury of McCombie, who was carried off the field. Instead of resorting to the one back game. Miller partnered Watson. A splendid attempt to force the game on the part of W.Hogg was applauded. He outwitted a couple of opponents, and looked like becoming dangerous, but unfortunately for the Evertonians his cross was woefully lacking in direction. Immediately the Evertonians retaliated and a high dropping shot from Booth dropped on the crossbar, and bounded over the line. However, the pressure, which they exerted was soon rewarded. Bell took up the ball and passed to Settle, who crossed it well forward past the backs, Taylor dashed up at the same time that Doig came out of his goal, and getting to the ball first banged the ball into the goal, at the same time apparently coming into contact with Doig's knee. The second success was again received with loud cheering. Although short-handed the Wearsiders struggled gamely, but there was no mistaking the superiority at this stage of the Evertonians. Jackson was quite a match for Jack Sharp, who was playing a waiting game without much opportunity of shinning. Remarkably clever tackling by Booth was appreciated and from his pass, Settle called upon Doig to use his fist, the Sunderland goal at this period having to undergo a regular bombardment. Just as the whistle was blowing for the interval Balmer rushed up and kicked the ball just as an opponent got his foot to it. He lay on the ground, and had to be carried off the field. Half-time Everton 2; Sunderland nil.

When the teams reappeared in the presence of fully 25000 people, it was noticed that both sides were short of their right backs. In the press box no information could, be obtained as to the injuries that Balmer and McCombie had sustained. Booth started in Balmer's place, but as Sunderland resorted to the one back game Booth resumed his original position. However, not many minutes had elapsed when Balmer game on the field amid hearty cheering. The play was pretty open, with Everton claiming rather most of the exchanges. Young was badly fouled by Watson as he was getting nicely away, and a moment later Booth was penalised for a foul. Sunderland improved, and one of the few calls, which were made upon Kitchen came from Watson, who sent in a lighting shot from long range, Bell was showing up much better than in the first half, and from one of his sprints he forced a corner off Watson. This however, was not improved, and although Everton attacked with great persistency, Doig kept a marvellous goal, and nothing further was scored. Final score Everton 2; Sunderland nil.

March 17 1902. The Liverpool Mercury
Everton went a long way towards rehabilitating themselves in their favour of their supporters by their victory over Sunderland, but the success invariably leads one to regret what might have been, had the team shown its real form when pitted against the Rovers and Grimsby. Saturday's game would then have been a sort of final tie for the League championship, with more than a possibility of the honour being retained in this city for another twelve months. A display against Grimsby similar to that set forth for the detection of the Wearsiders would have sent the Fishermen back with a sadly damaged net, and it is difficult to reconcile to the failings of the team one week with the excellencies of another. It may be that Everton have a reputation to maintain, but, in this case it were desirable that their characteristic feature of always falling away when most is expected from them would quickly vanish. However, there could be no availing at the exhibition given against the prospective champions, and rarely have the Wearsiders been so completely overplayed as they were at Goodison Park. Even taking into consideration the injury to McCombie, which necessitated his retirement from the struggle-and this was a serious handicapping of the enemy's force- there was a keenness about the movements of the home players which showed that even with a full eleven, the Wanderers would have had a rough journey. It must not be forgotten that Everton had roared their first goal-a beautiful effort by Young-before this untowed event occurred to the visitors defence, but the solution to the home team's superiority lay in the fact that the Sunderland forwards could do nothing with the Everton half back line, and the former were rendered impotent and ineffective by some of the cleverest work at half that has been seen at Goodison for many a day. The one outstanding figure in the Everton team was Booth, and the consummate ease with which he dispossessed his opponents and placed to his own forwards with unvarying accuracy, left to the undoing of the usually stirring attack of Sunderland. The Everton centre was complete master of the situation and Wolstenholme and Abbott, each of whom rarely allowed their opposing wings the slightest latitude, splendidly followed his example. No wonder the Sunderland attack was effective, and seldom occasioned Kitchen any anxiety; their maneuvered bring was out maneuvered by the home trio; the incisive of their attack vanished before the impenetrable Everton halves, as the mist fade away before the rising sun. Almost every move of Miller and his comrades was rendered abortive by the line of defence, whilst the home forwards were given endless opportunities of making headway. In speaking of the Everton front rank, whole sale praise cannot be award, for the three inside players bore the brunt of the attack, whilst the wings were evidently chipped, and unable to accomplish their fair share of the work. The cause is not far to seek for both Bell and Sharp fought shy of the men they had to face, and allowed them unlimited room in which to effect a clearance. A drawing back when an extra dash forward would have materially effected their chances of success spoiled their play, and though Bell did improve in the second half, the Lancashire cricketer was disappointingly weak throughout. Settle played a beautiful game, and fairly bewildered his opponents by his trickery. He and Young got along famously together, and the former's placing of the ball was chiefly responsible for this, as witness the pass over Watson's head which gave Taylor a splendid opening to obtain the second goal. Much of the credit of this point was due to Settle, notching the opportunity and practically putting the leather in the best position possible for his comrades. Young was a great success in the centre, and his goal was a grand effort, whilst Taylor worked with more effect, than has been the case for some weeks. The backs were sound, Balmer showing great improvement in his work, whilst Eccles gave a dashing exhibition, and there is no lagging behind on the part of the old Wolverhampton man. Hesitancy and lack of resource cannot be laid to his charge, and whenever he went ahead, Balmer always there to cover a possible failure. Kitchen had a very easy position, and, strangely enough, his most trying shot came from Watson, the Sunderland back. The office of his vis-à-vis, Doig was however, no such sinecure, and their rare qualities of this fine custodian were tested to the utmost. He anticipated a shot with rare judgement, and twice repelled efforts, from Bell which appeared certain to bring disaster, whilst a ground shot from Wolstenholmes-cleared at full length-and rousing drives from Young and Settle were got away with equal skill. Watson kicked strongly, and, brooked little interference, whilst Jackson made a sad mess of Sharp at left half, and repeatedly got the ball whilst the right winger was waiting to received it. Considering that he was labouring with a bandaged limb, and had to tackle the Everton left, Ferguson did very well, but the forwards were not by any means responsive. The International W.Hogg was occasionally prominent and Cragg was also conspicuous, but as a body the Sunderland forwards were far removed from the standard which they have invariably reached when in Liverpool. To-day Everton are due at Manchester to play their return fixture with the “Cits” and in view of the latter's precarious position they are bound to be confronted with a most determined opposition. It they repeat Saturday's form, however, the Manchesterians will have all their work cut out to win, and as the same team will visit Hyde Road, that overthrew Sunderland, there seems to be no reason why Everton should not annex two more points.

Yorkshire Post and Leeds Intelligencer - Monday 17 March 1902
Played at Goodison Park, before 25,000 spectators. The game opened at a tetrific pace, and after five minutes Young scored a fine goal for Everton. McCombie was carried off the field injured. Taylor got a second tor Everton. Balmer was injured just before half-time, when Everton led by two goals. In the second half both teams started with ten men, but Balmer soon re-appeared. Sunderland played the one-back game, and were continually on the defensive, doig keeping a marvellous goal, repelling many brilliant shots. Near the close Sunderland gained a couple of corners, which were not turned to account. result- Everton 2 goals, Sunderland nil.

London Daily News - Monday 17 March 1902
Great interest was taken in this match at Liverpool, there being very large crowd. It was a very hard and fast game, both sides losing men through accidents during the game. Early in the game Young scored for Everton, after which McCombie was hurt, and had to be carried away. Subsequently Taylor scored a second goal for Everton, who crossed over with that advantage. Sunderland, who had but ten men, had play a defensive game daring the second half, but thanks to Doig, Everton could not score again, and only won by two to nil.

London Daily News - Tuesday 18 March 1902
Ten thousand spectators witnessed this match Hyde-road. Manchester. Even play marked the opening, after which the City attacked, and in quick succession Meredith and McOustra put on a couple of goals for them. Everton then took up the attack, but Sharp, Taylor, arid Settle all missed some good openings, and at half time the score was still in favour of the City. Resuming, Everton attacked strongly, and Hillman was given plenty do. Singleton found the not, but was given offside. Both goals were threatened times, but nothing further was scored, and Manchester City wore left winners by two goals none.

Hull Daily Mail-Tuesday 18 March 1902
Information reached Liverpool on Monday the death at Cimiez Alderman .John Houlding, ex-Lord Mayor of the city, who has had a remarkable career. From a humble beginning built up extensive brewing and public-house business, and for many years has been one-of the leading public men Liverpool in Corporation, poor law, political, and philanthropic work. was long known " the King of Everton, and owed great deal lof his popularity to his Interest in athletics.

March 18, 1902 Hull Daily Mail
Information reached Liverpool on Monday of the death at Cimiez of Alderman John Houlding, an ex-Lord Mayor of the city, who has had a remarkable career. From a humble beginning he built up an extensive brewing and public house business, and for many years has been one of the leading public men of Liverpool in Corporation, poor law, political, and philanthropic work. He was long known as “the King of Everton,” and owed a great deal of his popularity to his interest in athletics.

March 18 1902. The Liverpool Courier
This postponed match took place at Hyde-road, Manchester, yesterday, and as the weather was beautifully fine, there was an attendance of some 12,000 spectators. Orr was off on the home side, Slater taking his place, whilst Watson superseded Balmer in the visiting team, the latter player having received injuries in the game against Sunderland. Prompt, at 3-15 the referee (Mr.John Lewis) marshalled the teams as follows: -

Manchester City: - Hillman (j), goal, Slater, and Jones, backs, Moffatt, Hynds, and Hoste, half-backs, Meredith, McQustra, Gillespie, Drummond, and Threlfall, forwards. Everton: - Kitchen, goal Watson and Eccles backs, Wolstenholmes, Booth (captain), and Abbott, half-backs, Sharp, Taylor, Young, Settle, and Singleton forwards

Gillespie set the ball in motion on behalf of the City, but the Everton forwards at once got away, Jones repulsing in the nick of time. Threlfall and Drummond retaliated on behalf of the City, put McQustra sent wide, and from the goal kick, Young just failed to open the Everton account from Sharp's centre. Play was fast, and, with the ground in good conditions, some capital play was witnessed, the home side, however, having a trifle the best of matters. Threlfall on one occasion put in a grand shot, which taxed Kitchen to the utmost. At the other end, Singleton went wide of the posts, Watson pulled up Meredith and McQustra following which Abbott shot grandly, only to find the burly Hillman in the road. The latter cleared, and with the goal at his mercy, a few moments later, Sharp put the ball over the bar, to the evident disgret of the partisans of the visitors supporters. Level play followed, but the Mancunians plodding away in right good style, a trifle more than held their own, and at last their efforts were rewarded. Meredith getting away on the right in brilliant style, and sending in a shot, with which, Kitchen had no chance. Needless to say, the first point for the City was heartily welcomed. Encouraged by this success, Manchester redoubled their efforts, and shortly afterwards McQustra headed through, thus practically leaving the game in their hands. When in front of the posts, however, the visitors forwards could not find the net, and thus several chances went a miss. Taylor making attempts with an open goal. Nothing further was done up to the interval, when Manchester City were leading by 2 goals to nil.

On resuming Everton went away, and from a foul, Settle in a fine shot, which Hillman punched put, the Blues however, continuing the pressure without effect. A fine move by the visiting forwards ended in Settle again closing in to Hillman, but with a ground shot, the attempt failed. The burly custodian throwing clear away, and enabling Meredith and McQustra to make a far outslaught on the Everton goal. Gillespie had extremely hard lines with a fine attempt, which deserved a better fate, Kitchen allowing the sphere to pass the posts. Play was of a give and take order, but there was no mistaking the earnestness of the City, who evidently were determined to keep their lead. Threlfall as a result of one of these movements, shot hard cross, but the Everton citadel escaped disaster, although it was a narrow ecaspe. The next item was a short sprint by Sharp, but on the ball being passed to Young, the latter was fouled. Hillman clearing easily from the subsequent free kick, with the result that Settle was penalized at the other end. Moffatt's shot went wide, however, but in close following a grand shot by Meredith, was tipped over the bar, the resulting corner coming to nought. The Evertonians could make no appreciable headway, at this period although on one occasion the Manchester goal had a narrow escape from a run down by Settle, Young, and Taylor. Meredith had one of his usual sprints only to be foiled at the last moment, and Hynds was penalized thus giving another chance to the visitors. Threlfall interposed, and sent in a hot shot. From this point until the close of the game play was of a give and take character, the only noticeable item bring a scrimmage in front of the City goal, where the custodian was impeded with the customary free kicks. In the last few minutes Everton tried their utmost to reduce the opposing lead. Hillman saving smartly from Wolstenholmes, but their efforts were unavailing, and Manchester City secured a well-deserved Victory by 2 goals to nil.

Sunderland Daily Echo-Wednesday 19 March 1902
A well known sportsman in Liverpool in the person of Ald, John Houlding, J.P., has died at Nice. Decreased, who was 69 years of age, was an ex-Lord Mayor of Liverpool and was one of the founders of the old Everton F.C, while he also founded the Liverpool Club, and up to his death was president and a keen supporter of the latter.

Dundee Evening Telegraph - Thursday 20 March 1902
owing to an injury sustained while assisting the Corinthians against Notts County at the Queen's club; R. E. Foster, will be unable to play for England against ireland at belfast on Saturday. His place will be taken by Settle, of Everton.

Manchester Courier and Lancashire General Advertiser - Saturday 22 March 1902
There was large attendance at Everton Cemetery, Fazakerley near Liverpool, yesterday, when the funeral took place of Aderman John Houlding who during the greater part a long life had been very prominently identified with public affairs in Iiverpool. He was an active politician the Conservative side, and in 1897-8 served the office of Lord Mayor- Mr. Houldiug was leading brewer. He died at Nice, after having been in ill-health for some time.

Edgar Chadwick
Lancashire Evening Post - Saturday 22 March 1902
More than ever Everton must now be sorry they parted with Edgar Chadwick. He helped chiefly to defeat Liverpool in the Cup competition -a feat Everton rejoiced oer, but had to reflect that Chadwick was dismissed from Goodison because he was not good enough." In the cup semi-finals Chadwick was once more to the front for Southampton, and scored two of the three goals by which they defeated Notts Forest. One of them was a really remarkable feat, for the ball was kicked over the heads of the Forest backs and put just under the bar; It was still more valuable as a stimulus to the Sotons; who were behind at the time, and looked like being beaten, but Chadwick's goal saved the situation.

John Houlding
Lancashire Evening Post -Saturday 22 March 1902
The death of Alderman John Houlding, J.P, is a serious blow to Liverpool F.C, and a severe loss to loca football. he helped to found the old Everton club; he was the sole founder of the Liverpool organiastion, and its most munificent supporter, barring the public; but many a time when the public subscriptions fell short, so to speak, he made good the deficiently out of his own pocket. Then he always interested himself in the players -gave them picnics, treated them to suppers, gratified them with bonuses for wins, consoled with them in defeat; was almost as constant an attendant at Anfield as the late Dr. Morley, and though never a football legislator, a good judge of the game, and knew a good man when he saw him.

Lancashire Evening Post - Saturday 22 March 1902
Everton, says "Tom Tiddler," are an extraordinary team -extraordinary in their successes and their failures. They have lost three matches running at home against less conspicious League clubs; the fourth match they win, and the losers are the League champions! How to reconcile such in-and-out play is rather difficult; but Everton are a team who play best against high-class clubs; and then last Saturday they were able to put their best team in the field, and for the first time for a month had a complete forward rank. Settle and Bell have been the forward absentees and Wolstenholmes at half. Settle was in great form last week, and it was his and Young's play that practically won the game. Young is a more improved player than any other member of the team. His style was delightful to all who saw it, except Sunderland -so quick on the ball, so hard and straight did he drive at goal; and yet he came to Goodison a second team player, and might have been so still but for the accident to Toman early in the season, which gave him his chance, and he has made such good use of it that he will certainly not be displaced by Toman again.

March 24 1902. The Liverpool Courier.
Everton visited Birmingham on Saturday to contest the return fixture with Small Heath. The issue of the game was of the utmost importance to the Heathens in view of the very serious chance they run of relegation to the Second Division. Everton were without Bell and Settle. Abbott being brought into the forward line with Bowman as his partner, while Blythe played at left back. The Heathens were minus Wigmore. Seven thousand spectators were present, and the teams were as follows: -

Everton: - Kitchen, goal, Balmer, and Eccles, backs, Wolstenholmes, Booth (captain), and Blythe, half-backs, Sharp (j), Taylor, Young, Abbott, and Bowman, forwards. Small Heath: - Robinson, goal, Goldie, and Archer, backs Beers, Leake, and Adey, halfbacks, Athersmith, Leonard, McRoberts, Field, and Wharton, forwards.

The visitors won the toss, and McRoberts set the ball rolling against a slight wind. From the start the home right wing got down, and Athersmith dropped the ball right in the mouth of the Everton goal. McRoberts tried hard to rush if into the net, but Kitchen was too quick for him, and got the leather away. The visitors had not yet got into their stride, and another wing attack by the home forwards, this time from the left threatened danger to the Everton goal. A slip by Field as he neared goal spoiled his chances, and the ball went flying high over the bar. The visitors again took up the running, and a vigorous attack on the Heathens goal was made. Twice Robinson had to save his charge, which he did brilliantly, and by hard tackling the home halves gradually forced the visitors back over the half-way line. There was some fine play by the home team, who for a time monopolised a good portion of the play. A clever rush down by the left ended in the ball being swung across, and only a miss by Leonard prevented a score. From the goal kick the athens went to the front and a hot shot from McRoberts missed the post by a very narrow margin. A corner a little later led to the visitors goal having a narrow margin, but the defence was strong. The pressure was relieved eventually and in turn the visitors took up the running, Sharp getting down and testing Robinson with a shot which took the custodian all he knew to negotiate. Some scrambling work in front of the home goal looked exciting, and the ball bobbed about in lively fashion. Severel times the Everton forwards got within shooting ranges of the home goal, but they evinced a strong inclination to dally too long, and pass and repass when in quick shot would have been more dangerous, the result being that the halves were enable to get out several tight corners. A capital run down on the right in which Sharp was especially dangerous, boded danger for the home side, and Robinson only cleared by rushing out of his goal, and meeting the ball before Young go to it. A foul against the visitors let in the Heathens, and from the free kick with the goal practically at his mercury, Field sent the ball high over the bar. From the goal kick the Evertonians went away, and a nice pass from Sharp's afford Young a nice opportunity for a shot. It is true he shot, but his aim was so bad that the ball went wide of the post. Some brilliant tackling by Wolstenholme twice us as many minutes dispossessed Wharton of the ball, the Everton right half playing throughout a very fine game. Sharp was given offside, and later a foul against the homesters further assisted the Evertonians. Once again they swarmed round the home goal, and Taylor shot over. The visitors were now having very much the better of the game, backed up splendidly by their halves, they were continually dangerous. A combined rush, and a shot by Young caused Archer to give a corner, and from this Taylor headed a goal for Everton, the whistle blowing immediately afterwards for the interval. Half-time Small Heath nil; Everton 1.

It was a minute or two after the resumption, before the visitors began to assert themselves, and pressed their opponents back into their own domain. Bowman got in a nice run in conjunction with his partner, and the ball was put nicely across. However, it went too far forward, and Robinson was able to reach it first sending it by means of a drop kick, well into the centre of the field. Again the Evertonians bore down on Robinson's charge, and this time Young got the leather and sent in a strong shot, which took a lot of stopping. Robinson proved equal to the occasion, and throwing out in the direction of Wharton enabled that player to make tracks for the other end. The opposing half back was on him in a trice, and a most exciting pace between the two ensued, Wolstenholme was too close upon him, and he had no chance of getting in a centre, the ball going over the line, and a promising chance was gone. The game continued interesting to the finish with Everton playing cleverly and in the end Small Heath was well beaten. Final result Everton 1; Small Heath nil.


March 24 1902. The Liverpool Courier.
Lancashire Combination (Game 27)
At Goodison Park. Everton who faced a bright sun in the first half, for a long time failed to make headway, their forwards work being poor. The Rovers played with dash, and after Muir had several times saved splendidly, Pope scored, the Rovers leading at the interval by a goal to nil. Everton had much the best of the second half, Proudfoot equalised and ten minutes from the end, Boyle scored from a penalty kick. Everton: - Muir, goal, Watson and Eccles, backs, Brown, Boyle (captain), and Blythe, half-backs Rankin, Paterson, Bowman, Proudfoot, and Chadwick (j), forwards.

March 24 1902. From Liverpool Courier.
The twenty-first annual match between England and Ireland was played on Saturday at Show ground, Balmoral Belfast. A crowd of 12,000 watches England beat Ireland by one goal to nil, with Everton's Jimmy Settle scoring the only goal of the game, five minutes from time.

March 24 1902. The Liverpool Mercury
In obtaining full points at the expense of Small Heath on Saturday, Everton, it must be admitted, were more than ordinary fortunate. The Result of the game meant a lot to the Heathens for, like other clubs nearer to us, big efforts were required to steer clear of the lowest positions on the League table. Apart from the ill-luck that attended the home team-ill-luck that was apparent to even their opponents, they added to their troubles by allowing ridiculously easy chances of scoring to pass unheeded. There were openings afforded the forwards that, under ordinary circumstances, would have sufficed to furnish several victories, but both hesitancy and inaccuracy prevailed- defects that stood out in marked contrast to the general methods of their opponents, who rarely missed a chance of making progress. Everton having the advantage of the wind and sun, opened somewhat indifferently, but as play progressed, they improved, and at the interval they deserved their lead of a goal to nil. When, however, ends were changed, quite a different complexion came over the game, and following several failures already referred to the Heathens pulled themselves together and gave the Everton backs, and custodian as stiff a task as only a keen follower of the game can imagine. Time after time were shots sent in from a close range, and as often were they charged dowm more by luck than judgement, one striking instance occurring in the last five minutes of play, when Wolstenholme, turning round, met a terrific drive from Wharton, who was but five yards from the goalmouth. A more exciting finish to a stubbornly contested game can scarcely be imagined for several corners were obtained during the closing stages, not to mention a case in which the referee had occasion to consult the linesmen with reference to a strong appeal for a penalty against one of the Everton backs, and scarcely had the visitors been relieved than followed a free kick against Taylor on the twelve yard line. Both free kicks were warded off, when Athersmith who had gone inside to force the game, put in a beautiful shot, which, fortunately for Kitchen, curled round the upright. It was an exciting finish to a desperate effort, to get level, and had the home side accomplished their object, it would have been but a fitting termination to a hard fought game. Some unrest prevailed among Evertonians owing to the fact, that Settle was engaged in International football, and that Bell was in disposed, but Abbott and his partner quite upheld the reputation of the line, and many were the dangerous movements that emanated from this wing, especially in the first half. Young played well in the centre, though much of his good work was discounted by a pronounces to shoot from too long a range, when it was clear than an additional pass out would have materially8 enhanced the prospects of his side. Sharp had a fair amount of work on hand, but there was a lack of that brilliance about his finishing touches that has characterized some of his displays. Taylor worked hard, and the pair negotiated the only point scored, the inside man anticipating a well placed corner kick to a nicety, and heading into the net, quite out of Robinson's reach. The half-backs got though a vast amount of work, nothing finer being exhibited than that by Booth, and Wolstenholmes. In the first portion, Blythe had a difficult force to combat, and was several times beaten, but in the second half he attended with assiduity to Athersmith and Leonard, with the result that danger rarely threatened from this quarter. Both Eccles and Watson defenced ably, and what Kitchen had to do was accomplished with credit, though there were two occasions when he was thoroughly beaten by shots that were only just missed the mark. The home forwards gave a capital display, of the game in and about midfield, but when it came to putting in a finishing touch, they were often faulty and at other times unlucky. Shooting directly at the custodian, when but a side touch was required to find the net, was a defect noticeable on more than one occasion, and probably greatest delinquent in this respect was McRoberts, who thereby married on otherwise clever display. Leonard and Field, the inside man put in much good work, but Wharton found Wolstenholme in top form, and Athersmith met with little better results in tussle with Blyrthe. Of the backs, Beer and Goldie maintained the brunt of the work, and in goal; Robinson was rarely at faulth. By the failure of second half, the team is included in the struggle of evading the lowest positions. Their remaining fixtures at home are with Derby County, Notts County, and Notts Forest, while they have visit to Derby County, Sheffield Wednesday, and Sunderland-rather severe programme to wind up the season.


March 29 1902. The Liverpool Mercury
So far as Liverpool was concerned, there was no attractive football fixture yesterday, the chief event being a friendly game, at Goodison Park between Everton and Liverpool, and a combination fixture between the reserves teams of the two clubs. It is rather suggestive of the interest taken in “friendlies” that even on a holiday not more than 5,000 people assembled at Goodison Park. The kick off was fixed for two o'clock, and the weather beautifully fine, but the fact that Liverpool were playing only a very moderate team probably kept away many people who otherwise would have turned out to see a really good game. The sides faced as follows: - Everton: - Kitchen, goal, Eccles, and Watson, backs, Wolstenholme, Blythe, and Makepeace, half-backs, Sharp, Taylor (captain), Young, and Roche, forwards. Liverpool: - Perkins, goal, McCullum, and Grover, backs, Rathbone, Hunter, and White, half-backs, Goddard, Hunter, Green, Morris, and Robertson, forwards .

Everton kicked off, and after Goddard had been conspicuous with a few good centres. Perkins at full length saved cleverly from Young. Following a corner, Everton pressed for some time, and Roche had hard lines with a shot, which just went the wrong side of the upright. Sharp shot into the hands of Perkins, and the Liverpool defence was troubled, though the home front line did not exert themselves too much. A corner to Liverpool was badly utilised, and the Visitors were prominent without in any degree endanger in Kitchen's charge. There was a good deal of holiday football about and even the spectators could work up little if any enthusiasm. Taylor banged the ball hard at Perkins, who brought off a good save. Another corner fell to Everton without tangible result, and although Robertson and Liverpool new Welsh recruit Morris tried hard to make headway Wolstenholme did not allow them much latitude. Play was of an easy give and take description, and jucidents of any note were few and far between. When the interval arrived, neither side had scored.

On resuming Liverpool, attacked with a certain amount of vigour, but Kitchen had little difficulty in maintaing his charge intact. Then Everton took up the running and, an abortive corner only saved the downfall of the Liverpool goal. A fine run, and centre by Goddard was quite an enlivening feature, and a prominent figure in repelling advances by Everton was McCallum, the visiting right back, who imparted considerable earnestness in his play. For the main part of the game was contested in the most easy going style, and it was the absence of the seriousness associated with a League encounter which afforded some entertaining to the spectators. Green put in a long shot, which went just outside the post, and at the other end, some feeble attempts were made to score. The game ended in a draw, neither side scored.

Leeds Mercury - Saturday 29 March 1902
A friendly match between these clubs was played at Goodison Park yesterday, in fine weather. The attendance, however, was disappointing, about 5,000 only being present. Neither team was at full strength, Liverpool having several reserves. The game was uninteresting, neither side playing with much earnestness, and the result was a draw, no goals being scored.

March 29 1902. The Liverpool Courier.
Lancashire Combination (Game 28)
The return Lancashire Combination match between the reserves of Everton and Liverpool was played at Anfield-road in splendid weather. The game at Goodison-Park had resulted in favour of Everton, by two goals to nil. A splendid crowd turned out to witness the game, and when the teams faced there would be fully 10,000 present. The sides were: -

Liverpool: - Hobin, goal, Jones, and Orritt, backs, Taylor Geary, and Davies, half-backs, Stanton, Cooper, Hughes Soldier, and Prescot, forwards. Everton: - Muir goal, Boyle (captain), and Balmer (r), backs, Clayton, Clarke, and Brown, half-backs Rankin, Paterson, Tudor, Proudfoot, and Singleton, forwards.

Tudor kicked off, and Liverpool who were favored by a crosswind, had the best of the opening play. The Blues defence however, proved safe and Everton took up the running. Hobin saving against the post from Singleton. The danger was no properly cleared, however, for Singleton again got hold about twenty yards from goal, and sent in a beautiful shot just under the bar, Hobin punching out grandly. The game was contested with plenty of spirit. Muir had to run out a considerable distance in order to assist his backs. He sent the ball into the Liverpool half, but Geary returned to his left wing. Hughes got possession close in, a hot shot from the Liverpool centre going a foot wide of the post. End to end play was the order for a long period after this, neither set of forwards getting much out of the back. Clark tried a long shot, which travelled over the bar, and from the goalkick the Reds rushed to the Everton goal, Brown heading out a shot from Stanton at the expense of a corner. This was worked away, and a good run by Rankin led to Paterson forcing a corner off Orritt, Ranking sending wide. A moment later Geary kicked away a good centre from Singleton, but the Everton outside left was foul by Rathbone just outside the penalty line. The free kick was fruitless, and combined work by the home forwards and the visiting backs were hard pressed. Muir had to leave his goal to clear and then Balmer, Boyle and Clarke, each put in clever tactics. Their work was supplemented by the right wing, and from a throw in near the corner flag, Tudor banged the ball along the ground into the corner of the net. Everton played up after their success, which came after 35 minutes play, and Clark had hard luck, with a capital shot which hit the side net. Stanton was mainly responsible for the Liverpool attack, but he was will looked after by Balmer. Once Prescot had a chance of opening the scoring for his side, but his shot went nearer the corner flag than the goal. The game was stopped for a few minutes owing to Tudor being hurt, and he had to retire for a time. On play being resumed, Everton assisted by a couple of free kicks, put on pressure, Singleton sending outside. Stanton and Cooper replied on the Liverpool right, but Clarke and Brown beat them. The ball went to the opposite wing, Soldier shooting yards too high. Proudfoot twice distinguished himself by clever dribbles, and Rankin sent a splendid shot a foot over the bar. In quick succession Boyle pulled up the home left in fine style, and Rankin twice sprinted down his wing without result. The game was contested in vigorous famous to the interval, a fine first half ending with Everton leading by a goal to nil. The pace slackened considerably when play was commenced, Everton had the best of matters and Hobin was twice called upon. Brown got in a capital shot from 30 yards range, the custodian getting the ball away from under the bar. A little later, Rankin shot yards wide when favourably situated. Clarke was always conspicuous, the Everton centre half playing a very fine game. He sent in two capital shots, the first being charged down, while the second grazed the post as it passed outside. Liverpool were completely hennied in, and Hobin saved wonderfully well at the expense of a corner. Following the flag kick, Rankin centred to Tudor, who was under the bar, but he unaccountably sent over. The Liverpool goalkeeper, was applauded for three clear saves, one from Paterson being a capital being a capital bit or work. For a long time, Hobin, was the hardest working man on his side, but he kept goal grandly. Shots from Singleton Paterson, and Proudfoot went very close, and several corners to Everton were fruitless. At length Jones upset Singleton close in, and Boyle taking the penalty kick, scored after Hobin had saved. Liverpool at last made their first real attack of this half, but Stanton got offside. Half an hour elapsed before Muir had to handle, and then he saved a capital shot from Geary. Rankin was very conspicuous in the Blues front rank and he, and Paterson were continually troubling the Liverpool defencders. The game was delayed owing to Brown bring hurt, but he was able to resume and close on time Proudfoot headed a third goal for Everton, who won by three goals to nil.

March 29 1902. The Liverpool Mercury
This return League game was played at Goodison Park, before 15,000 spectators. Everton started, and immediately forced matters, but the Derby defence proved sound. After ten minutes Sharp got nicely away, and centred most judiciously. Young missed an open goal, but the ball came to Settle, who easily scored. From now to the interval Everton held the advantage, an occasional breakaway by the Derby left wing relieving the monotony. Eccles cleared a fine centre from Middleton, and the home forwards racing away, Young was fouled when near the penalty line. From this the Everton centre drove the ball against the upright, from which it bounded into the net. After breathing time Everton continued to attack, and Sharp was especially prominent with dashing runs and centres. Kitchen cleared marvelously from Boag and Fulton, but this was the peakites last chance. Settle put the ball past Fryer, but was adjudged offset, and the final result was Everton 2 goals; Derby County nil.

Everton: - Kitchen, goals, Eccles, and Watson, backs, Wolstenholme, Booth (captain) and Blythe, half-backs, Sharp, Taylor, Young, Settle, and Bowman, forwards. Derby County: - Fryer, goals, Methven, and Morris, backs, Hunt, Goodall, and Leckie half-backs, Shortcliffe, Bloomer, Boag, Fulton, and Middleton, forwards.

March 31 1902. The Liverpool Mercury
Lancashire Combination (Game 29)
At St.Helens. The home team had a strong wind in their favour, and it helped them considerably. The Recs, ran down, and Roberts scored for them. Halt time Everton nil; St Helens Rec 1. Nothing was scored in the second half, and thus St Helens Recreation won by 1 goal to nil. Everton: - Muir, goal, Boyle (captain), and Balmer (r), backs, Clayton, Clarke, and Brown, half-backs Rankin, Paterson, Tudor, Proudfoot, and Singleton, forwards.

March 31 1902. The Liverpool Mercury
Everton gained their 15 th League victory in very easy fashion at the expense of Derby County, and the final verdict of two clear goals in their favour does not faithfully portray the superiority of the home players. Everton monopolised the bulk of the pressure, and Derby had to rest content with an occasional breakaway, whilst there was but one instance through out the proceedings when the Peakites appeared at all likely to score. This was in the second half, when from a capital centre by Shortcliffe, the ball was thrice banged at Kitchen, who cleared the first two shots, whereas the third cannoned behind the line off Eccles. In justice of the visitors it must, however, be stated that they had a great weakened side; whilst the fact that they had been indulging in a semi-final the previous Thursday against Sheffield United must have considerably handicapped then in their efforts to gain points in a trying away League match. They were unable to keep Everton in check, and there were times when the home team had matters all their own way. The Latter were none too dangerous near goal, however, and considering the amount of pressure they exerted they ought to have given Fryer a harder task than he actually had to contend with. The forwards line was extremely satisfactory with the exception of Bowman, who was again tried in the League team at Goodison Park, but figured at outside left. He was inclined to cling to the ball too tenaciously, and the half backs opposed to him stood on little ceremony in dispossessing him. Once or twice he placed nicely in goal, but as a general rule he was easily robbed of the ball, and oftentimes hung bank instead of dashing ahead, thus spoiling many possible openings. Young shaped well in the centre, and is becoming quite an adept in trapping the ball, baffling his opposing half, and placing to right and left with judicious discrimination. Sharp's exhibition came as a surprise, considering how languidly he has been disporting himself of late, and it was from a beautiful centre whipped across by him that enabled Settle to steer the ball into the net, and register the first goal. Settle played a good game, but was handicapped somewhat by the inefficiency of the outside partner. The half-backs were too strong for the visiting forwards, and Blythe filled the position usually occupied by Abbott with credit. He completely harassed the Derby right wing by his terrier like attentions, and Bloomer never got a chance to display his ability. Booth and Wolstenholme had a comparatively easy task on hand, for neither were ever fully extended. Watson and Eccles kicked sturdily, and defended so well that Kitchen was rarely troubled, and the number of shots that required the Everton custodian's attentions were very few. His most trying period were on the occasion already referred to, and as the scrimmage occurred almost under the crossbar it required all Kitchen's promptitude, and decision to keep Derby from scoring. The display of the visitors was about as effective as could be expected considering the hard work they have experienced during the last month. Their forwards were ragged, and Bloomer was scarcely seen, the best work of the line coming from Middleton on the extreme left. In the half-back division Leckie was prominent with skilful tackling and placing, and this had a marked influence on the play of the Derby left wing. The full backs were by no means safe, and on three occasions narrowly missed placing the ball into their own goal when endeavoring to clear their lines. Fryer made some capital saves, but as a rule the shots he had to deal with came straight at him. To day Everton tackle Nottingham Forest, and should add another couple of points to their credit.

Yorkshire Post and Leeds Intelligencer - Monday 31 March 1902
The return League match at Goodiron Park was played yesterday, before holiday crowd of 20,000. Forest had not a full team, Frank Formen being away, while for Everton Boyle played back instead of Eccles. who is injured. The home team enjoyed much the best of the game, the forwards showing great dash and after half-an-hour's play Sharp scored. Afterwards Everton enjoyed all the play, and at the interval Everton had scored 1 goal to Notts Forest none. In the second half the pace fell off somewhat, and the Forest had rather of the play, their left wing being prominent. Linacre, however, kept fully employed, and once beat him after the whistle had gone for off-side. Towards finish Everton gained several corners, which they could not turn to account. Result:—Everton 1 goal, Forest none.

London Daily News - Monday 31 March 1902
Playing at home, this match was looked upon as a good thing for Everton, and such it proved, as, having the best of the game for the major portion of the match, they won by two to love. The weather was fine, and fully 16.000 spectators were present. Both the goals were scored in the opening half, Settle getting the first after only three minutes' play, and Young adding another at the end half an hour. Afterwards the goalkeeping on both sides was very good, for there was no more scoring in the match. Fryer saved number of excellent shots from Sharp.