Everton Independent Research Data


April 2 nd 1928. The Daily Courier.
Everton won their first match since January 7 at Sunderland. Their victory was all the more remarkable seeing that dean, their record goal scorer, was engaged in the International match. Everton relied on three reserves inside forwards, and they gave a good account of themselves –up to a point. It was a hard and fast game, and Everton were full value for their victory. The early part was in favour of Sunderland. The Sunderland forwards worked hard, and played with great dash in midfield. Cresswell, still a favourite at Sunderland, was always a thorn in their side, and O'Donnell was equally effective with his more rebust methods of tackling, and sure, strong kicking. Despite the good work of the Everton backs, the Sunderland forwards had a number of chances of scoring, but these were frittered away by futile passing in front of goal. After the first 20 minutes Everton gradually assumed the upper hand, and in the second half the surprising thing was they did not score more than two goals. The first was obtained in the first few minutes of the second half. From a corner kick, well placed by Troup, Virr, who was standing almost on the goal-line, headed the ball through the goal. From then onwards Everton monopolished the attack, most of the raids being made by Critchley.

Many chances were missed, but more than once they were unlucky. When one of the home backs handled from a shot from Bain, most referees would have awarded a penalty kick. Everton's second goal came four minutes from the end, after Parker, the Sunderland centre-half , had been carried off the field with a damaged ankle. From a lobbed pass from Martin, Easton dashed in and placed into the net. It was certainly Everton's best display for some weeks past. The chief honours went to the defence. Davies was reliable in goal, making a number of difficult saves. Cresswell gave one of his best display, and O'Donnell was also most reliable. The Everton intermediate line preformed better than in any previous game this year. Critchley at outside right was more prominent than for some weeks past, and Troup was also given more work to do than in recent games. The inside men preformed creditably. Bain proved a dashing leader, although he fell far short of Dean in accepting chances in front of goal. Martin and Easton showed up well in ball control and passing. Their one weakness was lack of penetrative skill. Sunderland were strong in defence. Teams: - Sunderland: - McInroy, goal, Murray and Thompson, backs, Clunas, Parker, and Whelan, half-backs, Wilks, Gurney, Halliday, Wood, Hargreaves, forwards. Everton: - Davies, goal, Cresswell (captain), and O'Donnell, backs, Kelly, Hart, and Virr, half-backs, Critchley, Easton, Bain, Martin, and Troup, forwards.



April 2 nd 1928. The Daily Courier.


Jones, the former Bournemouth inside-right, made a great impression on his debut at Goodison Park. Although on the small side he is of sturdy build and is a constructive forward with a capital shot. The remaining forwards were but mediocre, otherwise the game would have ended differently. Armfield scored for Villa in the first minute through laxity on the part of the Everton defence, Hardy making little effort to cope with the shot. Wilkinson equalised, but Tully restored the lead, which was later increased by Armfield. Everton did a good deal of pressing, but with little result until Jones scored a fine goal . Everton: - Hardy, goal, Common and Kennedy, backs, Baker, Griffiths, and Rooney, half-backs, Meston, Jones, French, Houghton and Wilkinson, forwards .

Athletic News - Monday 02 April 1928
Sunderland 0 Everton 2
Only about 15,000 spectators witnessed the Wearsiders' humiliation, and even the score barely emphasizes the superiority of the victors.  Certainly Everton did not have matters all their own way, for the opening half was fairly even with the marked difference that Everton were by far the more dangerous side in front of goal.  Three minutes after the resumption, Troup placed a corner splendidly, and as the ball came across, Virr deftly directed it into the net with his head.  This success gave the visitors additional confidence, which bore fruit in a display that was anything pleasant for Sunderland folk to look at, although they were sports enough to recognize it.  Sunderland struggled gallantly enough, but fought as a side apparently without hope, and certainly with little idea of combination or accuracy in placing. 
Escapes For Everton
Once in each half they had hard lines -when Wood struck the post and Halliday did the same.  On each occasion the ball rebounded into play and was cleared by an Everton defender.  Near the end Parker had to be carried off with a damaged ankle, and five minutes before the final whistle sounded Easton safely steered a pass from the left wing into the goal.  In all departments the visitors cut a creditable figure, and as on several previous occasions proved their ability to carry points away from Roker.  Davies was a sound reliable goalkeeper, clearing promptly and cleverly.  Cresswell was as cool and clever as ever, and had a fine partner in O'Donnell.  The home defence, too, was quite good, and only yielded to a superior attacking force.  McInroy fielded splendidly on many occasions and Thomson was a most effective back.  At half-back Everton had the pull.  The line played soundly, effectively with hart perhaps the best.  Whelan was the pick of the home trio for tackling, for none of the three impressed when it came to placing and they were rarely able to effect an understanding with the vanguard.  The visiting front rank was ably led in Bain, the most dangerous forward on the field.  Crithcley also stood out prominently for ball control, speed and good centring.  Troup was also a good wingman, while Easton and Martin did some useful purveying.  The Sunderland front rank rarely got going.  They certainly displayed plenty of energy, but more than that is needed to win matches, and with a heavy programme before them their position is by no means so secure as their supporters would like.  Wilks was the pick of a moderate quintette, and Hargreaves also worked to some purpose on the opposite wing, but Halliday received no support, and his immediate colleagues, Gurney and Wood did not help much in the way of combination.  Sunderland; McInroy; Murray, Thomson; Clunas, Parker, Whelan; Wilks, Gurney, Halliday, Wood and Hargreaves.  Everton; Davies; Cresswell, O'Donnell; Kelly, Hart, Virr; Crithcley, Easton, Bains, Martin, and Troup.  Referee A.H. Kingscott, Long Eaton. 

April 2 nd 1928. The Daily Courier.
Dean played for England against Scotland at Wembley, losing by five goals to one, Scotland now have won 23 games, games, England 15, and 14 have been drawn, England have the wooden crown, losing all three games in home international. Jimmy Dunn, the inside forward, was irresistible.

April 4 th 1928. The Daily Courier.
Everton announce changes in the team to meet Blackburn Rovers at Goodison Park on Good Friday (Kick-off 3.15) from the eleven, which defeated Sunderland. Dean of course, returns to the centre-forward berth, Martin crosses from inside-left to inside right, displacing Easton, and Weldon resumes at inside left. Teams: - Davies, Cresswell, O'Donnell, Kelly Hart, Virr; Critchley, Martin, Dean, Weldon, Troup. The same team will play Bury at Goodison Park on Saturday, Kick off 3.15. The Everton Reserves against Blackburn Rovers at Blackburn on Good Friday will be: - Taylor, Common, Kennedy, Barker, Griffiths, Rooney, Meston, Jones, Bain, Easton, and Lewis.



April 7 TH 1928. The Daily Courier.




Everton rose to championship form in the game with Blackburn Rovers before 54,000 at Goodison Park yesterday. There was not a weak link in the chain. Martin, the acquisition from Hull City, marked the occasion by scoring his first goal for his new side, but apart from this he served out a brainy, methodical game, although not on the showy side. Hunter Hart, continuing his consistent form, also scored his first goal for the club this season. Hart did the unorthodox, for the shot was form nearly 30 yards range, and although Crawford partly reached the ball, there seemed to be a misunderstanding between him and Hutton, who left it to the man behind. Dean was on his toes, playing a masterly game, and being rewarded with a couple of goals in the first 14 minutes. Blackburn took the field without the genius of their attack, Puddefoot, Mitchell coming in, and undoubtedly they missed him. Puddefoot was out through a bad attack of influenza, and Skipper Headess was also an absentee through strained muscles of the thigh, Whyte filling the breach.


A director of the Rovers told me they were not resting any of their side in view of the Cup final, writes a Daily Courier representative. There is nothing like playing the likely side right through, and there is nothing better than keeping the minds of the players occupied "he added. Neither were they going to take any risks by sending the team away for special training. Their display against Everton, of course, was absolutely no guide to what happen in the final. Dean's first goal, close up in five minutes, followed a corner kick taken by Critchley, and his second in the 14 th minute was due to the trickiness in the 14 th minute was due to the trickiness of Troup, who gave the dummy to two opponents before he crossed, Dean neatly flicking the ball through with his head. Mitchell might have reduced the lead, but headed over, although Holland managed the trick, shooting through a crowd of players with Davies unsighted after he had just previously pushed the ball out. Dean unaccountably missed practically an open goal early in the second session, but Troup, who was playing one of his best games, would have scored again for Everton had not Whyte made a quick recovery. Martin's goal in the 57 th minute was the result of perseverance. A centre by Troup led up to the success, and although Jones charged the ball down once, Martin obtained his goal at the second time of asking. Hart's goal was in the 67 th minute, well out. It was the kind of shot which a goalkeeper saves in the ordinary way without difficulty. Features of the game were the great display by Dean and the trickiness of Troup, and while Critchley impressed with approach work his centres were not all first-class. A remarkable feature was the absence of a single off-side ruling, and Referee Rennie was right in ruling out a penalty when the ball accidentally hit Hutton's hand in the area. Teams : - Everton: - Davies, goal, Cresswell (captain) and O'Donnell, backs, Kelly, Hart, and Virr, half-backs, Critchley, Martin, Dean, Weldon, and Troup, forwards. Blackburn Rovers: - Crawford, goal, Hutton and Jones, backs, Whyte, Rankin, and Campbell, half-backs, Thornewell, Mitchell, Roscamp, Holland, and Rigby, forwards.

April 7 th 1928. The Liverpool Post and Mercury
Blackburn Rovers Reserves were outclassed by Everton at Ewood Park. Bain netted after thirteen minutes, Easton followed with a second, then Bain again just before the interval. Easton scored the fourth soon after the restart, and Bain the fifth and sixth. Everton were the better side in all departments . Everton: - Taylor, goal, Common and Kennedy, backs, Barker, Griffiths, and Rooney, half-backs, Meston, Jones, Bain, Easton and Lewis, forwards.

Hartlepool Northern Daily Mail - Monday 09 April 1928
Gaining on a Football Ground
Everton Football Club were doing all they could by means of posters and by employing special police to put down gaming at Goodison Park, it was stated in Liverpool Police Court today.  They took a serious view of gaming on the ground, and asked the magistrate to take such a view in the case in which Ernest Power (34), Mulberry Street, Liverpool, pleaded guilty to gaming.  Power, it was stated, addressed the crowd at the Everton and Blackburn match, exclaiming, "Who says a bit on the lucky old mud book?"  He was running the game of crown and anchor.  Power was fined 40s, or a month's imprisonment.

Athletic News - Monday 09 April 1928
Everton 1 Bury 1
By Fidelis
Not until nine minutes from the end of the match at Goodison Park, did Dean find a chance to snatch the goal which saved Everton from defeat by Bury.  Up to the point.  Bury’s plan of campaign had succeeded admirably.  With the stimulus of a goal by Ball five minutes after the start, they found it possible to dominate the game by seeing to it that Dean got no latitude and, with the wind in their favour, opening out play as much as possible.  This policy was admirably pursued by Tom Bradshaw and Smith, and it would have been carried to complete success but for the enthusiasm of Dean and the resource of Cresswell and O’Donnell.  The duel between the Everton centre-forward and the Bury centre half-back was a continuance of their rivalry in the international game at Wembley , but just when the Scot was within reach of another complete triumph over the elect of English centre-forwards, Dean’s opportunism asserted itself to save him from leaving the field as one of the most disappointing of the players engaged.  Tom Bradshaw’s sporting tactics were so sound that the Merseyside enthusiasts among the crowd of 45,000 were made to realize that there is danger in the penetrative power of Dean.  Actually, Weldon, and Martin should have benefitted from the concentration of the opposition on the centre-forward, but Richardson was only troubled by one or two shots from either of those players.  Dean’s shooting, too, lacked judgement, confidence that he failed badly from a penalty kick, which, I though was too severe a penalty for a sandwiching “offence” by Tom Bradshaw and Adamson.  Bury’s bulletts were not so stored in the one armoury’s, and while Smith was left to do most of the dueling with the Everton backs –and he did that spiritedly –Ball and Bullock got through plenty of clever constructive play which gave Amos and Robbie a lot more scope than the Everton wingmen enjoyed.  At the same time the Bury inside forwards enjoyed a much sounder understanding with Porter and Pratt than was apparent in the play of the home team, and the visitors half-back line as a whole did its work admirably.  Though he sustained a knee injury in collison with Virr, Porter returned to maintain as high a standard of constructive football as any member of his side, and had Robbie been happier in his finishing in the second half, the activity of the Bury right flank would have made the same issue safe before Everton’s rally robbed the visitors of a point they could well have done with in their fight for safely.  Amos provided the danger source in the first half, but Cresswell’s cool and calculating style, brought about the little bury wingman’s subjection after the interval when Ball was not the power he had been previously.  Like Bullock the inside left met with an unsettling mishap –Ball was actually hobbling off when Dean’s surprise goal came – but Everton were also handicapped by an accident which limited Critchley’s capacity considerably.  While Adamson and G. Bradshaw did not attain the polished standard of the Everton full-backs, they gave Richardson such splendid cover for the most part that the Bury goalkeeper’s confidence was apparent and he dealt with several trying situations in masterly manner.  Everton; Hardy; Cresswell, O’Donnell; Kelly, Hart, Virr; Crithcley, Martin, Dean, Weldon, and Troup.  Bury; Richardson; Bradshaw  (G.), Adamson; Porter, Bradshaw (T), Pratt, Robbie, Bullock, Smith, Ball, and Amos.  Referee; Mr. J. Rennie, Oldham. 


EVERTON 1 BURY 1 (Game 1263)

April 9 th 1928. The Daily Courier.


Honours easy was about the right result of the Everton and Bury game at Goodison Park. Some supporters voiced the opinion that Everton deserved to win, framing this view after one or two particular periods of hot pressure by the Blues in the second half. This, of course, only be conceded if we are to forget that the goalkeeper is part of the side. Richardson certainly gave a wonderful display, stopped a few shots that deserved to score, and the penalty kick shot taken by Dean in the first half (Dean was grassed –Liverpool Post and Mercury). "Dixie" did not place the ball far enough away from Richardson, who shot his foot out and stopped the ball. Richardson certainly did good service for the "Shakers." Hardy, who was called upon suddenly to deputise for Davies, who damaged his hand in the Blackburn game, was not so confident as he can be. Dean also had his toe trodden on heavily and crushed in that game, and there was some doubt whether he would be able to play. I should like to have seen him in a less subdued mood, writes a Daily Courier representative, especially at his mother was watching him on this occasion, this being the third match only she has seen this season. Mrs. Dean told me she was far from a judge, but she though a draw was a proper reflex of the game. As we expected, and as "Dixie" expected. Tiny Bradshaw, the lengthily young Scot, played sleuth on Dean so effectively that the centre-forward was held more in subjection than he has been for many a long day.


Dean obtained a great goal in the second half from the opening made by Martin, who is setting down into a class forward. That deadly shot, Ball, Bury's inside left, scored the only goal in the first session, and it was too near the limit to be comfortable for Everton before they equalised. Bury have in the Scot, John Smith one of the best leaders of his day, and although he was impressive on this occasion. Hunter Hart met him like a great centre-half, and had a fascinating way of scoring his passes also, Kelly and Virr on either side did not reach his high standard, but they were both distinctly useful. Unfortunately Critchley damaged his left leg early in the game, and this was a severe handicap on the right wing, and of course upset the Martin and Critchley blend. More labour fell on our other wing, where Troup was as persistent as a terrier, but Weldon could have done with better direction for some of his shots. Everton forwards certainly ran up against a most compact defence set up by such giants as Adamson, who kicked steadily with each foot, while between him and the two Bradshaws there existed an understanding. In the last line O'Donnell, although he made occasional slips has improved through the season beyond recognition and came out of the heavy spells with credit. Skipper Cresswell found himself up against a stiff proposition, and into touch and back to the goalkeeper was the only solution at times, but he and Kelly generally managed to take care of that lively Amos and Ball wing. David Pratt, formerly one of ours, we were pleased was quite as clever as ever, and if anything he has speeded up. Teams: - Everton: - Hardy, goal, Cresswell (captain) and O'Donnell, backs, Kelly, Hart, and Virr, half-backs, Critchley, Martin, Dean, Weldon, and Troup, forwards. Bury: - Richardson, goal, G. Bradshaw, and Adamson, backs, Porter, T. Bradshaw, and Pratt, half-backs, Robbie, Bullock, Smith, Ball and Amos, forwards.



April 9 th 1928, The Daily Courier.


Everton were decidedly unlucky to concede both points to the Wolves at Wolverhampton. Kelling obtained both goals for Wolverhampton, and Lewis scored Everton's only goal from Jones's centre. Everton were the better side and displayed excellent ball control and positional play. Taylor was safe in goal while Common and Kennedy were strong defenders. A feature of Everton's attack was a good understanding between the halves and forwards.



April 10 th 1928. The Daily Courier.



The inclusion of the famous "Dixie" Dean in the Everton side buoyed up the hopes of Dublin Soccerites, and the fact that he never reproduced his club form more or less robbed the game of much interest. There were of course frequent good passing moves, in which Everton's half-backs played a prominent part, but the firm defensive play of Leinster's full-backs often upset calculations and spoiled much of Dean's adroitness. Notwithstanding the poor display of Everton, they always had the better of the play, particularly in the concluding half, their half-backs predominated and kept their forwards well placed. Twenty minutes from the start Dennis opened the scoring for Leinster, and then followed some good forward play by Dean, Weldon, and Martin, the centre-forward equalising. Fifteen minutes after the interval Kelly put Everton ahead and Weldon added a third a few minutes later. Then Everton had complete control, but found the home backs hard to beat. (Post gives Weldon second and Dean third?) Luke scored Leinster's second goal. Everton: - Hardy, goal, Cresswell (captain) and O'Donnell, backs, Kelly, Hart and Virr half-backs, Critchley, Martin, Dean, Weldon and Troup, forwards .



April 10 th 1928 Liverpool Post and Mercury.


Everton were unfortunately in only gathering one point at home yesterday. The home side dominated the game in the first half, Easton and Jones scoring. Then Roxburgh netted from a penalty, but Easton further increased Everton's lead. Blackburn rallied, and Wilson and Mitchell made the scores level before the interval. A surprising goal gave Rovers the lead, for Taylor, having plucked up, kicked the ball against Kennedy, from whom it rebounded into the net, and Everton had to try desperately hard to get a point, but Easton completed the hat-trick.



April 14 th 1928. The Daily Courier.

Everton will be at Brammell lane today with their team changed in one instance (Davies for Hardy in goal), and they will be given a good taste of the United's mettle when capering at home. Indeed Everton must be on their very best behaviour; if not, that taste is going to be decidedly unpalatable. The teams are as follows, kick-off being, at 3. —Everton: -Davies, Cresswell, O'Donnell; Kelly, Hart, Virr; Critchley, Martin, Dean, Weldon, Troup. Sheffield United: - Alderson; Chandler, Birks, Sampy, Matthews, Green; Mercer, Phillipson, Johnson, Fillespie, Tunstall.



April 16 th 1928. The Daily Courier.





Dean scored two splendid goals for Everton on the ground of Sheffield United. He also provided the opening for Martin to score the third. Everton were a goal in arrears at the interval. Playing against the wind nothing seemed to go right for them in the early stages. They even had cause to grumble at several of the referee's decision. There was a good deal of inaccurate play by either side, and for this the strong, swiring wind was largely responsible. The Sheffield forwards were greatly assisted by the wind. They played with dash and determination, and although the Everton backs covered one another with good judgement, there was at least three occasions when the Everton goal had narrow escapes. When Hart came into the way of a clearance kick by Cresswell it allowed Johnson to break clean through, but with only the goalkeeper to beat he placed wide. Both Gillespie and Phillipson hit the crossbar, and one of the best shots of the match was from Green, who grazed the far post. It was a few minutes before the interval that Gillespie scored the United's goal from a neat pass from Tunstall, the movement being started by Matthews.


Everton were much the better side in the second half. Their forwards combined effectively, and Dean gradually gained the upper hand of the Sheffield backs. Troup was Everton's chief raider. He and Weldon worked well together. The first goal was the outcome of a header by Dean from a free kick by Kelly, who placed the ball to the far side of the gaol. Dean and the goalkeeper went for the ball simultaneously, but Dean was deadly accurate in his anticipation, flashing the ball into the net. The second was another characteristic effort by Dean. From a centre by Troup, Dean dashed past Birks, and when rushed by Alderson had the better of him and placed into the net. Just prior to this Dean looked like scoring from a solo run only to have the ball kicked off his toes by the goalkeeper. The third goal came with the last kick of the match. Dean, after beaing Webster, placed in front for Martin to rush in and score. Everton were much superior both in defence and attack. Their only weak spot was at outside right, where Meston, the young Gillingham player, was a poor substitute for Critchley, who was unable to play owing to an injured ankle. After one of his many mistakes he was playfully cuffed by Dean, much to the amusement of the crowd. Matthews the ex-Tranmere Rovers player, was Sheffield United's best half-back. Teams: - Sheffield United: - Alderson, goal, Webster, and Birks, backs, Sampy, Matthews, and Green half-backs, Partridge, Phillipson, Johnson, Gillespie, and Tunstall, forwards. Everton: - Davies, goal, Cresswell (captain) and O'Donnell, backs, Kelly, Hart, and Virr half-backs, Meston, Martin, Dean Weldon, and Troup, forwards .



April 16 th 1928. The Daily Courier.


Everton showed by no means brilliant form, but they were too good for Derby County, who were weak at half-back and otherwise in defence. A tricky wind made ball control difficult, and this was probably the cause of a lapse by the Everton defence which allowed Barclay to head a goal for Derby in the early stages. This was quickly negatived, however, by a capital point from Kendrick, who shot through following a well-placed corner. White, who returned to the centre, following an injury, was fouled inside the area Easton scoring from the spot. Everton had the better of some poor play in the second half, and near the close Easton placed the issue beyond doubt . Everton: - Hughes, goal, Common and Kennedy, backs, Brown, Griffiths, and Rooney, half-backs, Meston, Jones, White, Easton and Kendrick, forwards.



April 18 th 1928. The Daily Courier.



Everton in all probability will assume the leadership of the First Division once again this evening, when they entertain Newcastle United at Goodison Park. Huddersfield, who will not, of course, have a League engagement this week, are only one point ahead (47 to 46), and their goal average is inferior to that of Everton. The Town, however, will have two matches in hand after this evening. Everton need only draw this evening to go on top, but the two points are of vital importance. Everton make one changes in the team who defeated Sheffield United for the match at Goodison Park with Newcastle, Critchley resuming at outside right in place of Meston. Teams: - Davies, Cresswell, O'Donnell; Kelly Hart, Virr; Critchley, Martin, Dean, Weldon, and Troup. The kick off will be at 5.30. The match at St. James's Park in September was drawn 2-2 and the corresponding match today's last season was won by Newcastle 3-1.



April 16 th 1928. The Daily Courier.




Everton again went to the top of the First Division table by virtue of their convincing victory over Newcastle United at Goodison Park last evening. They are now a point in front of Huddersfield Town, with a much better goal average, but the Yorkshire men have two matches in hand. Dean brought his League total of goals for the season to 51 from 39 games. Camsell who holds the English goal-scoring record, netted 59 in 37 Second Division matches last season. The British record is held by James Smith, of Ary United, who has scored 65 goals in Scottish League (Division 2) matches.

There was little good-class football at Goodison Park last evening, when 35,000 people attended a light ball in a tricky wind and a fast ground making it difficult for the players. Everton comfortably held Newcastle, who are a long way removed from the Newcastle of old. The personality seems to have gone. Davies, who gave a sound display in the Everton goal was filling in the scenery most of the first half, in which Weldon scored Everton's only goal after 14 minutes. It was from a difficult screw shot, the ball being well placed in the net. Critchley had dropped in a splendid centre, and both Maitland, United's stalwart back, who was outstanding, and Park, who was a rugged unpolished centre half, had failed to extricate the ball. Everton should have scored more than one goal in the first half, notably early on, when Troup who had the sun in his eyes, kicked over the ball when he received it from Weldon. The Everton halves largely dominated the game, and their halves were the best portion of the United side. Gallacher did some clever work on the right wing, although attempting too much and wandering all across the line. Urwin was much their better winger, while Wilkinson, the recruit from Crewe, continues to develop as a centre-forward, but he and McDonald missed chances.


Dean was not so much in evidence for he was not too well blessed with passes and was well taken care of. Martin was working well with him, and from one of the ex-Hull City man's passes down the middle Dean brought Burns, who kept an uncertain goal for Newcastle, running out. Dean was unlucky in miskicking more than once, notably from a pass by Troup, who nearly scored later with an overhead kick. Critchley was finding Gillespie a difficult customer and would have done better with less hesitancy in finishing. Critchley scored ten minutes after the resumption in a hot moment, when it would have been asking Burns the impossible to have saved, for after Troup had tricked his way through. Dean bundled into Burns, who had the ball partially cleared, and Critchley beating Gillespie, scored with the goalkeeper on the ground. Dean's goal in the 70 th minute was a characteristic one for with a back header, after Cresswell had landed the ball in front of goal. "Dixie" beat Burns. Cresswell came back to something more approaching his true form, and Hart have another consistent display, with Virr a good second. The referee's whistle went a great deal, and Referee Jenning spoke to both Weldon and Parks. Teams : - Everton: - Davies, goal, Cresswell (captain) and O'Donnell, backs, Kelly, Hart, and Virr, half-backs, Critchley, Martin, Dean, Weldon and Troup, forwards. Newcastle United: - Burns, goal, Maitland and Gillespie, backs, Harris, Park, and Currie, half-backs, Urwin, Gallacher, Wilkinson, McDonald, and Saymour, forwards .



April 20 th 1928. The Liverpool Post and Mercury.

Everton yesterday signed on James Stein, an outside left from Dunferline Athletic. Stein is 23 years old, stands 5ft 9ins and weights 11ston. A native of Coatbridge he has been with Dumfermline for three seasons, and was previous with West Lothian and Blackburn Rovers. He made 26 appearance for the Scottish league cup last season.



April 21 st 1928. The Liverpool Post and Mercury


That Everton mean to maintain, if possible a strong team for next season to shown by the fact that they have signed Jimmy Dunn the Hibernians inside-forward, who played so well against England at Wembley a few weeks ago. Dunn although lacking in inches is a most skillful player, who possesses great command over the ball, and he is likely to considerably strengthen the forward line. No doubt the fee is a high one, as many clubs were anxious to obtain his services. Dunn assisted Scotland on five occasions against Wales and Ireland in 1925, against Ireland in 1927 and against Ireland and England this season. He also helped the Scottish league to victory over the Irish league at Glasgow in 1923. Dunn is 5ft 5and half inches but is exceptionally well built, and as he can play at inside right or left. He is likely to prove must useful and his scheming football should prove a great help to dean. The new player joined the Hibernians from St Anthony club, a prolific nursery of the association game, in season 1920-21 he was than nineteen years of age and quickly played himself into a permanent place in the league side. Dunn is a proverbial bag of tricks. One of the most dangerous and skillful forwards in the game, and a ready goal scorer into the bargain. Although small, he display's great fact in reaching a highball. He will not be eligible to play in Everton's remaining league games, but he many assists the reserves team, before the end of the season.



April 23 rd 1928. The Daily Courier.



Everton served up one of their best games of the season, and after making the Villa look rather plain in the second half, it was remarkable they should have allowed them to stage a revival near the finish, and score a couple of goals. Everton were practically without flaw, and held the fast-moving Villa side, who, however, were not the Villa of old. Weldon's goal in the first five minutes inspired Everton's with confidence. Weldon in fact, dispensed one of his best games, and after Dean, he and Martin were two of the best forwards on view. The Weldon and Troup wing found the lengthy Scot, Gibson, a handful, but the talented half never subdued them, although his task would have been more difficult had Troup kicked with equal facility with each foot. As a centre forward, Waring, coming from Tranmere Rovers, the same club as Dean, was over-shadowed by the Everton centre-forward, although the pair gave each other a warm handshake before the game. Waring of course, was running up against a great centre-half in Hart –a stiffer proposition than Dean had in facing Dr. Milne. Hart was clever, opened up the game to the best advantage and was a tower of strength in an unobtrusive way. Dean's energy as usual was unbound, and his first goal just before the interval was an illustration that it pays a forward to follow up for a second shot, when a goalkeeper makes a faulty clearance, as Olney did. His second goal at the restart was characteristic, but Villa helped him to it, it seemed to me, writes a Daily Courier representative, by seemingly trying the offside-dodge at the wrong time. I do not think Dean was offside. Martin still maintained good impressions; he had speed and is not unlike Hart in his cool calculating style. He showed too when the ball can he held rather than parted with without taking a fleeting survey. He was thus able to make a better partnership with Critchley, who was not always brisk in getting in his centres with the result that the Lincolnshire man, Yates got too much rope. The halves again were a dominant feature of the game, with Hart and Gibson the star. I should like to have seen Walker giving Waring more of the ball for Waring showed he could use his brains when he gave Hart the slip for the first time and scored after an individual run. He has the physique too, is only a youngster, and has plenty of time to settle down. It was quite a popular spectator goal. Gibson crowned the sound display throughout by scoring Villa's second goal on time with a great shot. Dorrell and York the Villa wingers did not reproduce their top form. Teams: - Everton: - Davies, goal, Cresswell (captain), and O'Donnell, backs, Kelly, Hart, and Virr, half-backs, Critchley, Martin, Dean, Weldon, and Troup, forwards. Aston Villa: - Olney, goal, Smart and Bowen, backs, Gibson, Dr. Milne, and Yates, half-backs, York, Beresford, Waring, Walker, and Dorrell, forwards.



April 23 rd 1928. The Liverpool Post and Mercury


At Leeds. Both teams played clever open football and Everton's inside forwards passed and shot with judgement. French at centre forward was an admirable leader, and he scored both Everton goals. Mears and Magnall scored for Leeds.



April 24 th 1928. The Daily Courier.


Everton won a hard-fought game by an odd goal, which just about represented their superiority. The match also served as an introduction to local spectators of Dunn and Stein, Everton's Scottish signings. Dunn proved that he requires little room in which to work, and is very quick on the ball. Several of his passes, however, were far too forward to be of value to his colleagues. Stein showed good ball control, and centred accurately. Everton took the lead in the tenth minute. When Bain centred French might have tried a shot, but wisely allowed the ball to pass on to Easton, whose shot although possessing little pace, beat Kelly. For a long spell Liverpool could not move smoothly, and with the exception of a couple of drives by Miller, Hardy had a quite time during the first half. His first serious work was just after the resumption, when it was only a superlative save that prevented a free kick by Done entering the net. Everton dash away on the left and Meston, with a brilliant drive scored a second goal. Dunn during this half, was not over-prominent, but once tested Riley with a fiery drive, which was finely, cleared. A penalty fell to the Reds when Common fouled Lindsay. Done giving Hardy no chance from the spot. Liverpool had the fine backs in done and the veteran, Longsworth, who proved he is still far from being a spent force. It was Done who took the eye more, however. On the Everton side, Griffiths was a dominant figure, both in attack and defence. Meston was a virile raider and French did very well in the centre . Liverpool: - Riley, goal, Longsworth, and Done backs McNabb, Murray, and McMillan half-backs, Shears, Miller, Lindsay, Ray. And Oxley, forwards. Everton: - Hardy, goal, Common, and Kennedy, backs, Bain, Griffiths, and Rooney, half-backs, Meston, Dunn, White, Easton, and Stein, forwards.



April 27 th 1928. The Daily Courier.


Ted Taylor, the famous International goalkeeper, is one of seven players placed on the transfer list by Everton. The club still possess three goalkeepers in Davies (first team), Hardy (Reserves), and Hughes ("A" team). The other six men for transfer are: - Houghton, a local forward. Kendrick, the ex-Shelbourne (Dublin), forward, who can play at either outside-left or outside-right. Raitt the Scottish full back (either position), from Dundee. Dickie, left half-back, formerly of Poole, who was signed after the Cup-tie with Everton two seasons ago. T. Curr, full back a local product. Brown, the half-back, who has been with the club a number of years.


Mr. Cuff the chairman is optimistic of his club's chances of the championship. "I think after last night's result (he said yesterday, referring to the defeat of Huddersfield by Burnley) that our chances have increased considerably. We have, in fact, much more than an outside chance if we can secure the remaining four points, and I do not see why we should not. "it would be necessary for Huddersfield to win the whole of their remaining matches to oust us from the Championship. This is a pleasing contrast from our position last season. We have made practically no changes in the personnel of the team. All the players who have brought the success we have attained this season were in the team in the closing of last season. " We are hoping to celebrate our jubilee as champions. If that is not to be our fortune, we are none the less grateful for the great change in our fortunes." The Everton players are looking forward to the tour of Switzerland, beginning on May 9. Troup has been handed his benefit money (£650), and Raitt has received his benefit allowance of (£500).



April 28 th 1928. The Daily Courier

The dramatic changes recently in the First Division table have given us hopes of another plum for Lancashire to keep the Cup company. Everton appear now to have the League Championship in their grip, after, apparently, ruining their chances weeks ago. Everton's task of winning their two remaining games –against Arsenal at Goodison Park and Burnley away –seems delightfully easy in comparison to the Town's problems if their outstanding matches with Portsmouth and Sheffield United at Leeds-road and Aston Villa and Leicester away. One has a kink that the latter two propositions will be too much for the over-wrought Yorkshiremen.


Huddersfield will be at Leicester today, and they should not secure more than a point (if that), while Everton, fit as a fiddle, with every man ready to do or die, will be at Burnley giving the home fellows one of the worst experiences of the season. Everton make no changes for the game with Burnley, which starts at .15. Burnley will field the side who beat Huddersfield. Teams: - Everton: - Davies; Cresswell, O'Donnell; Kelly, Hart, Virr; Critchley, Martin, Dean, Weldon, and Troup. Burnley: - Down; McGluggage, Waterfield; Steel, Hill, Parkin; Bruton, Pollard, Beel, Freeman, and Page.


BURNLEY 3 EVERTON 5 (Game 1267)

April 30 th 1928. The Daily Courier.




Everton rose to championship form in their splendid victory at Burnley. The scoring of eight goals is some indication of the spirited forward play. There was no evidence of end-of-the-season lethargy, and Burnley no less than Everton, were anxious to secure both points. The result was a stern battle, full of good football, and an abundance of thrills; in fact one of the best games seen at Turf Moor this season. The first goal came in the first minute of the game, Dean crowning a neat passing movement by Martin and Weldon. This early reverse by no means upset the morale of the Burnley team. Rather it spurred them on to their best endeavours. Twice they equalised and once they gained the lead, but when Everton went two goals ahead in the second half they never recovered. The goals were scored in the following order; Dean, first minute; Page 10 minutes; Beel, 15; Dean 23; Dean 28; Beel 49; Martin 61; Dean 63. Dean scored a trio in the first half. It was one of his best games of the season. It was an splendid fettie, and appeared to be faster more trustful and more deadly in his shooting than ever. Dean brought his League total of goals to 57, two short of Camsell's 59 last season.


Two of Dean's goals were the direct result of centres from the wings, which did not call for much skill on Dean's part. The other three were the outcome of speedy rushes past or between the backs. Martin obtained his from a header after Down had only partially cleared a centre from Troup. Until well in the second half the game was evenly contested. Beel was desperately keen to score, and when he did he received an ovation. It was his hundreth League goal, which was no mean record to mark his fifth anniversary with the Burnley club. The Burnley forwards were certainly seen at their best, but there were lapses in their rear lines. Brown did not come up to the standard of Parkin who was nursing an injury, and Steel was not at his best. The Burnley full-backs were blamed for not keeping a better hold on dean, and McCluggage in particular, did not do himself justice apparently being overawed by Dean's trustful methods. Without exception all the Everton players were seen at their best. Davies was confident in goal and Cresswell and O'Donnell kicked and tackled with precision. The Everton half-backs came back to their best form, Virr, no less than Kelly, making no mistakes, and Hart being prominent in constructive play. Although inclined to hang back too far. Martin and Weldon combined clever footwork with judgement in their passes, and the ball was swung out freely to the wingmen with good results. Everton's play in general holds out every promise of a crowning victory over the Arsenal next Saturday, with the odds in their favour of carrying off the championship. Teams : - Burnley, Downs, goal, McCluggage, and Waterfield, backs, Steel, Hill and Brown, half-backs, Bruton, Pollard, Beel, Freeman, and Page, forwards. Everton: - Davies, goal, Cresswell (captain), O'Donnell, backs, Kelly, Hart, and Virr, half-backs, Critchley, Martin, Dean, Weldon and Troup, forwards.



April 30 th 1928. The Daily Courier.


Dunn and Stein, Everton's recent Scottish acquisitions helped to make a fine forward line against Bradford at Goodison Park. Stein was particularly successful, his centres being beautifully placed and several of his shots came close to scoring. All the goals came in the first half, Everton opened through French, and although Johnson netted an equaliser, Dunn placed the Blues ahead again from a penalty. A goal from Meston completed the scoring . Everton: - Whalley, goal, Common and Kennedy, backs, Bain, Griffiths, and Rooney, half-backs, Meston, Dunn, French, Jones, and Stein, forwards .








April 1928