Everton Independent Research Data


December 2 nd 1929. The Daily Courier.
By The Pilot.
A remarkable match was contested by Everton and Leicester city at Goodison Park on Saturday when Everton conceded yet another brace of home points by going down to the strange score of five goals to four. A more pulsating and exciting game I do not wish to see, and yet there was so much in it, which savoured of the tragic. Every crowd loves goals, and this gathering of 30,000 was no exception, but they also love good football, and in this respect they were not disappointed. Leciester served up some delicious materials, with Duncan generally in the forefront when it came to scheming, and I certainly think that the spoils went to the better combination. Everton lacked defence of ability, and it is to the defence that one must point for the cause of the failure. The attack with the exception of Critchley, was good, and the half-backs were a sound line, but the backs and goalkeeper never touched anything like the form we know they are capable of producing. Well, when you come to consider that three of the City goals were in the nature of gifts, it will be seen that there were flaws somewhere. Leicester's first and third goals were the only ones, which you could say were scored without any flagrant errors on the part of the Everton defenders, and even in these instances faulty positional play led to the downfalls. At one time I honestly thought Everton were going to have a walk-over. At any rate, they were two goals to the good at the end of 17 minutes, and yet by the 47-minute they were three goals in arrears.


Again, I like everyone else on the field, was dumb bounded when the Blues participated in a brilliant revival and reduced the deficit to a single goal. They fought back grandly –gallantly –but resolute defence on the part of the City pulled them through this decidedly awkward period, and just as the final whistle blew Lovatt was netting from Adcock's centre. The goal did not count however, for Referee lines was piping as the ball was yet on its way to the net. Everton began with the utmost confidence and made ground well with direct rather than subtle methods. Leicester were still in the settling down stage when Rigsby who throughout was the Blues' most potent attacking force brought joy to the camp by securing a magnificent opening goal. He took Critchley's centre on the run and killed the ball as he shot. The ball sped low to the back of the net before McLaren had a chance to move. That happened after 15 minutes, and two minutes later a goal from Martin –another beauty –caused victory to loom large on the horizon. Martin brought Stein's corner down to his feet cleverly and banged the ball home with a fine cross effort.


Now Everton made a fatal mistake. They counted their chicken and when the defence took things easy the City sprang to the attack with that zest and brilliant football ability which they have demonstrated so many times before. Langford thankfully stepped forward to a low through pass and though Cresswell ran up to force him to part Langford still retained possession, and with O'Donnell floundering on the far side of the field –totally out of position –Langford scored with a fast rising shot taken from just inside the box. This happened after 20 minutes and with some hope facing them, the City continued to –do the dictating, so much so that they secured a grit goal after 26 minutes. Adcock and Barry centres were diverted before Barry lobbed the ball for Langford to head with no great speed towards the net. Davies could have cleared easily, but O'Donnell ran in harassed him, and then allowed the ball to strike his knees and bounce into the net.


What a tragedy! Langford's attempt would not have borne fruit once out of a hundred times –this was the hundredth. At the same time the City should never have been allowed to attack, Critchley had been badly fouled just before, and the referee ignored the just appeal. With the score level Leicester took complete command and played the football which has made them famous. Never once was the ball placed in the air, and there was guile and thought in their every move. Before the interval Lovatt and Barry had secured further goals, but Barry's effort was another present, for Davies completely missed in his attempt to fist away Adcock's centre and the ball hit Barry's foot and trickled into the net. Two minutes after the resumption Adcock centering from the touchline, joyfully saw the ball swerve towards the goal. Davies miss it hopelessly in trying to flick it over the bar, and then the ball lying snugly in the net. The home goal underwent many other narrow escapes before Hart took a strong hand in bringing about the Everton revival. His fine tackling and clever feeding set the Blues on the crest of a wave, and Rigsby did the trick after 33 minutes in this half when he back headed Harts lob pass, past Mclaren.


This started the excitement –it was thrilling! Everton swept through the City like fire through a copse and six minutes later White headed a brilliant goal off Critchley. Still they kept at it with the spectators cheering them to the echo. Then the visitors shook themselves and not only did the defence settle down to calmer methods but the forward machine started to operate again in a menacing manner. At the end the City were worthy winners. The Everton defence was poor all through, Cresswell pushed off too much of his own work on to the shoulders of young Robson, who however, accepted it gladly, and O'Donnell was never once in position and performed many wild things. In addition, they seldom, they seldom worked in harmony. Davies lacked judgement, and never seemed to me to be confident. He was guilty of the most fatal errors and was certainly responsible for two goals, though he had occasion to blame the men in front of him more than once. The halves were good, Hart was none too decisive early on, but in the second half he played grandly and his feeding was approached only by that of Duncan, the cleverest and most scientific footballer on view. Robson did the work of two men and did it well, and Virr's slowness in recovery was more than balanced by the incisiveness in tackling and the shrewd manner in which he disposed of the ball.


Once again Rigsby was the most potent attacking force and he endeared himself into the hearts of the crowd by his sheer honesty gluttony for work, subtlety and shooting abilities. Stein responded to him well, and crowned good touchline work with delectable centres. White was none too comfortable in another strange role, but tried all he knew, and Martin after a fine first half, faded out later on because he was inclined to hold the ball too long. Critchley was a big disappointment, and I think that had he been able to fulfill his task during the Everton rally, other goals would have accrued. He had one good period in the first half, but was deficient at other times. Leicester are a fine football side who know the advantage of the ground pass. The backs were far better than the home pair, and McLaren was rocklike in goal. Duncan was the pick of the intermediates, but Watson made his presence left with reduce defensive work. Forward, Lochhead, though not a scorer was the mastermind, and Adcock and Langford also did well. This was a game, which will long be remembered. Scientific football won on the day. Teams ; - Everton; - Davies, goal; Cresswell and O'Donnell, backs, Robson, Hart (captain) and Virr, half-backs, Critchley, Martin, White, Rigsby, and Stein, forwards. Leicester City; - McLaren, goal, Black and Brown, backs, Duncan, Watson, and Ritchie, half-backs, Adcock, Lochhead, Lovatt, Langford, and Barry, forwards.



December 2 nd 1929. The Daily Courier.


Everton looked like making a fight of it against Sheffield United at Bramall-lane up to the interval, but later on they fell away and Sheffield won comfortably. Weldon gave Everton the lead in three minutes following a centre from Troup, but Gibson equalised after twenty minutes. Soon after the interval Gillespie put Sheffield ahead Spicer and Stevenson later adding goals.

December 4 th 1929. Liverpool Post and Mercury
A must interesting feature of the side is that Troup the dashing little Scot, is due to make his first appearance of the season, in the senior side. He was injured in the practice matches, and it was only recently that he turned out in centre-league games. He has shown form, sufficiently good to justify his re-appearances in senior football, and I am sure his spell well known ability, to cut in and shoot with that great power, and accuracy which have always been features of his play. He will add to the strength of the Everton attack, hart the captain stands down in favour of Griffiths. This ‘'dropping of the pilot'' may cause some surprise, but at his best Griffiths is a power at centre-half and hart has had a strenuous time, may benefit by the rest.

Derby Daily Telegraph - Thursday 05 December 1929
Derby County Players Among Mourners
Mr. Archie Goodall, the former Derby County centre-half and Irish International, who died at East Finchley, London, on Friday, was buried in the Nottingham-road Cemetery, Derby, today. The Rev. L. S. Currey, vicar of St. Osmund's church, Derby, officiated. The mourners included a number of former footballers and members of the theatrical profession. The directors of Derby County Football Club sent a wreath of pink and white flowers. Mr. Richard Goodall (son), Mrs. Dorothy Chisholm (daughter) and Mrs. A. Dakin (sister-in-law), were the only relatives present. Among those present at the cemetery were: Mr. J. Methven (a fellow player and former manager of County F.C.), Mr. Harry Dakin (a former trainer), Mr. Walter Dakin, Mr. E. Bancroft, Mr. W. S. Moore (secretary Derby County F.C.). Messrs. Steve Bloomer and A. W, (the former Derby County players), J. F. Balkwill (brother of the former County player), John Ryle (former director, Derby County F.C.), and Mr. C. B. Dunnicliff (representing the Derby Referees' Society). Messrs. A. Dakin, P. Felix, J. Rayner, L. V. Fowke. Thomas Eley, Hayden Green, A. Poult on. J. Vince, Walter Yeomans. J. loon, C. Roberts. W. Custance, J. Longdon, George Newton, H. Rawling, W. Tunmcliffe, and J. T. Joynes. Messrs. Bussell & Son, of East Finchley, carried out the funeral arrangements, the coaches being supplied by the Derby and District Funeral Co., Ltd.

Derbyshire Advertiser and Journal - Friday 06 December 1929
Many Friends at Footballer’s Funeral.
Many former football companions and friends attended the funeral at Nottingham-road Cemetery, on Thursday, of Mr. Archie Goodall, the former Derby County footballer.  As stated on the sports page of our issue of his week, Mr. Goodall had lived at East Finchley for some time and collapsed in the street last Friday afternoon at East Finchley.  The funeral service was conducted in the church at the Cemetery by the vicar of St. Osmund's Derby, the Rev L.S. Currey.  The family were Mr. Richard Goodall (son), and Mrs. D. Chrisholm (daugter), while Mr. P. Felix and Miss Felix also followed.  Among those present at the cemetery were Messrs. S. Bloomer, J. Methven, (former team mates), H. Dakin (trainer), Walter Dakin, W.S. Moore (Secretary of Derby County Football Club), C. Baincroft, W. Tunnicliff, H. Rawlings (theatrical friend), J.T. Joynes, J.F. Balkwill (brother of a former team mate), A.W. Waltis (formerly a noted referee and footballer), J. Paynor, Arthur Daykin, A. Poulton, T. Heeley, J. Vince, John Ryley (former director of Derby County)., F.V. Fowke, C.B. Dunnicliff, W. Yeomans, C. Roberts, Hayden Greene, and J. Toone.  The directors of Derby County Football Club sent a beautiful wreath composed of white chrysanthemums, lilies and while carnations.  The plate on the coffin bore the inscription "Archibald Goodall, at rest November 29th, 1929, aged 65."


December 7 th 1929. The Daily Courier.


By Ijay

Will today's game against Grimsby Town provide the turning point in Everton's effort to escape the relegation bogy? This is what every Everton supporters is wondering at the present time. Every club experience a lean period at some time or another, but when Everton escaped entering the Second Division nearly three seasons ago and won the League championship a season later it was expected that their troubles had ended for a long time at any rate. However, the Blues find themselves in a serious position once again and the only thing to save them is concerted action and a quick restoration of confidence, with the possibility of a couple of acquisition to the playing strength. Grimsby are also in the throes of desperation, for, like Everton, they can only boast 14 points, although the Fishermen have played a match less. Everton's chance lies in the fact that Grimsby have a poor home record. They have only won two of their eight home games. Everton have preformed as well away as they have at Goodison, and I expect to see them start on the upward grade with two valuable points. The Blues' directors have brought in Alec Troup for the first time this season, while Griffiths has been included as centre-half. I think Everton can take the full points, but the defence must not repeat the blunders made against Leicester. Goals are hard enough to get, but easily thrown away. Rigsby has worked wonders with the Everton forward line, judging by the display last week, and the members of it infused a life into their play that has been lacking for many weeks. Everton have a hard road to travel, but there seems little reason why they should not make an early rise in the table. A change of luck will mean renewed confidence. It should be a fine, hard game, full of fast football, with both sides going all out for the full 90 minutes in their efforts to retrieve their fortunes. Teams; - Grimsby Town; (probably) Read; Wilson, Jacobson; Preistley Swift, Calderwood; Barley, Cooper, Robson, Cogin, Marshall. Everton; Davies; Cresswell, O'Donnell; Robson, Griffiths, Virr; Critchley, Martin, White, Risgby, Troup.



December 7 th 1929. The Liverpool Football Echo


Everton were represented in Glasgow today, by Jack Fare, who has come North for the best wing half-backs in the country. He spent the afternoon at Ibrox, where fine first class wing halves were on view. The Dundee pair have been under observation on several occasions and bids have been made for the services of McNab and Thomson, but today, they were being compared with the Rangers two, McDonald and Craig. If Mr. Fare consider that the Ibrox men were better, an offer many materialise. Criag is the Scottish International, and McDonald is one of the Rangers captures from American, picked up while on tour two summers ago. Everton are also said to want an inside-wing forward from Scotland. Newcastle United are on the same quest and they too, were at Ibrox watching McPhail, the International, who cannot keep his place regularly in the Rangers team.


Hull Daily Mail-Monday 9 December 1929


Never adapting themselves to the wretched conditions that prevailed, Grimsby Town at home gave a very poor display, and were beaten by Everton three goals to nil. spite ofa gale wind and greasy surface, the forwards and half backs controlled the ball with marked skill, and before interval R'ghy, who was recently transferred from Blackburn Rovers, gave Everton the lead. Two minutes after the interval Griffiths, the Everton centre half-back, scored a second goal, after which Grimsby were handicapped through Calderwood being injured. Everton continued to monopolise the attack, and before the end Troup added a third goal.


Troup's Return as Everton Skipper

Dundee Courier-Monday 9 December 1929

I HEAR that Huddersfield and Everton have taken a lease with certain Scottish football names, but maybe Everton will revoke after the way their Scots played at Grimsby. They had believed that Martin was mercurial; that Hart was tired through accident to the eye; that Kelly, Ritchie, Dunn, and all the others of the camp there had not fitted their bill. THEY dropped their pilot, Hunter Hart, and brought in the Welshman, Griffiths. Hart looked on, relishing the chance of a rest. He has missed only 25 games in nine years' service with them. I can tell you. too, that the club has a notion that he shall not leave the club even when his playing days are over—the idea is that he shall be added to the staff. He tells me that he goes to America to see his rich uncle this summer, and I forecast here that he will have benefit number two ere many months are out. EVERTON had become nervy, and one way out of their troubles was to bring back the consistent old man, the silent man of the field—Alec Troup, of Forfar—and Alec became captain for the first time with his club. He took the honour with modesty.


December 9 th 1929. The Daily Courier.




By The Pilot.

Everton completely mastered not only deplorable conditions, but the robust Grimsby Town side at Blundell Park by 3 clear goals, in a desperate struggle by desperate clubs, each seeking to escape from the tentacles of the danger zone octopus. Not for many a day have the Evertonians put up such a grand, glorious almost heroic struggle, and that they richly deserved the spoils is being dispute. Early on there was a doubt about the match being played at all, for water was inches deep on the ground, but an army of workers contrived to make a playable, though it still remained a veritable mud-patch. In addition a terrific gale raged incessantly, and it was against this biting perishing wind that the Blues had to battle for the first half. How they did battle too! The opening exchanges were even, the players endeavouring to ascertain the best way of conquering the conditions, but early on it was obvious that the Everton machinery was going to run much more smoothly than that of the Town. In eleven minutes Rigsby gave them the lead with a goal, the fruit of pure, unadulterated football. It was a gem. Keeping the ball low, the men participated in a\ faultless combined movement, with each man applying the necessary touch. The town defence was spread-eagled by the accuracy of the passing, and when Martin slipped the final pass forward with delicious skill, Rigsby drove the ball low into the net before Read could move. A sporting Grimsby crowd greeted the score in the manner fitting.


A single goal is no sense a secure lead, but I felt convinced, as Rigsby's shot hit the net, that the Blues were sure winners. Instead of worrying about mud, water and wind, they set out to make them assets, and their football often reached the acme of perfection. The fishermen were a resolute, rather than methodical combination and their tactics were just those the Everton defence wanted. There was no ceremony about Cresswell or O'Donnell, and with Griffiths, Robson and Virr fighting tooth and nail, yet always with thought and consideration, the Town were held in subjection. The bull-like rushes of Robson, the leading Town scorer, looked the efforts of a novice against this intrepid Everton defence, and so completely did the rearguard hold up the opposing forwards that the intermediates found plenty of time to support a line of incisive forwards. True, Everton goal had one or two narrow escapes during the first period when Grimsby had the advantage of the wind, particularly when Davies slipped in the mud and Barley's centre landed plump in the mire on the goal-line for O'Donnell to boot it away. The football of the home side, however, was elementary as compared with that of the Blues, who added fleetness of foot to brilliant constructive ability and combined endeavour. There was not a single weakness in the side and there was a rare spirit of teamwork to prove an additional thorn in the side of the Fishermen.


The second half was only two minutes old when Griffiths scored the second goal. Gathering from a throw-in he neatly trickled three opponents in the penalty area before netting with a low cross shot which struck Wright's foot before entering the net. This was also a spectacular goal. That spelled the end of Grimsby except for one incident when Barley struck the foot of the post from a yard out after Davies had saved from Cooper, who had the goal at his mercy. Whereas the Town deteriorated the Blues went from good to better, and at times it looked as if they were merely toying with the Town like a cat toys with a half-dead mouse. The mud saved Grimsby more than their defence for on two of three occasions scoring shots, all delivered from the edge of the penalty area, held fast in the mud and so enabled Read to save whereas on an ordinary ground they would have been in the net before he could have had a chance of averting the disaster. Griffiths, Martin, and Robson all and hard luck in this respect. The 70 th minute brought the third goal, when Critchley dropped over a tasty offering to the unmarked Troup, who promptly sent into the net. Wilson in a desperate attempt to keep the ball out, only succeeded in helping it into net where it would have gone had he not touched it.


Grimsby never looked like pulling the game out of the fore, so complete mastery did the Evertonians hold and had efforts by Martin and White borne fruit it would have surprised no one. The Town were completely demoralised by a team which operated with astonishing skill on the worst of pitches.

Everton had a team of eleven good players whose endeavours were almost beyond critics. Davies had not a lot of work to do –hardly enough to keep him warm, in fact –but on the other occasions he was called on he acquitted himself well. Cresswell and O'Donnell were never really truly beaten and the very style of the Town's forwards suited them down to the ground. Their was relentlessness as well as thought about the work, and the ease and confidence with which they took the ball from the feet of the bustling attackers was a source of extreme delight off everyone. The point which pleased me most about the way of the intermediates was the coolness and way they employed in their feeding. It must be remembered that they had to fight with every available weapon in defence, and yet after the most strenuous tackles they came away to delightful delectable passes along the ground. Griffiths besides being one of the outstanding defenders, personalities showed welcome improvement in this respect and Robson, the Everton right half, is fast approaching the standard of Hart in this manner in which he gave the dummy and he made his transfer. He was the essence of artistic youth.


When I saw that Virr played as well as he did in the championship season it will be gathered that he had all virtues and no faults. He was invaluable in holding up the nippy Barley, who was always nicely fed by Priestley, and his swinging passes to the opposite wing were a menace to the opposition. Forward we saw the five well-nigh tea and schemers and executors. Martin, I think was the pick though this in no way detracts from the merits of the others. He put scores of well plans into operation, shot with refreshing accuracy and pace, and employed both long and short passing methods with deadly effect. In addition his ball control was fine, and he had a most creditable partner in Critchley, who was ever ready to join in the change of positions move. The pair worked together like a book, and with wonderfully speed, so that Martin was crossing the ball as often as the winger. Calderwood, who went off injury in the second half, never once stopped them, and Jackson was rendered helpless. Martin and Critchley were excellent. Troup, on the other side made an auspicious reappearance as captain and centred with all off his old time skill. He also had a splendid partner in Rigsby, who did as much work and covered much ground as anyone. He was another such customer, though so versatile that he could use his weight when the occasion demanded.


In the centre was a cool, clever, fast, robust and totally unselfish leader in White, who though is springing into the limelight quite so much than the others was the trusty producer in the art of good attack. He was the key to the situation used himself well. Grimsby were a purposeful side; lacking in confidence and football skill. Robson was a disappointment, and the other men were merely ordinary. Barley, the winger was the best attacker and Priestly was the most accomplished of the side, for he always tried to do the right thing. The backs were kickers only, and had it been no mud I think Read would have been an quite an ordinary custodian. It was surprisingly fast game and wholly entertaining with the Blues pulling out every ounce and every artifice to gain the end game. Teams; - Grimsby Town; - Read, goal, Wilson and Jacobson, backs, Priestly, Swahy, and Calderwood, half-backs, Barley, Cooper, Robson, Goglin, and Wright, forwards. Everton; - Davies, goal, Cresswell and O'Donnell, backs, Robson, Griffiths, and Virr, half-backs, Critchely, Martin, White, Rigsby and Troup (captain), forwards.



December 9 th 1929. The Daily Courier.


Considering the conditions prevailing Everton played brilliant football against Bury and but for the excellent custodianship of Harrison would have won by an even bigger margin. Wilkinson, at times, showed a penchant for lying offside, but nevertheless played well. In addition of scoring three goals –the first rather lucky, as Harrison was lying injured he hit the woodwork on other occasions. Stein was also a fine marksman and Dunn who netted the Blues other point, made with Ritchie a fine wing. McClure, J. Whyte and Kelly formed a clever constructive middle line. The Bury forwards were well led by Johnson, who scored but the halves and backs were not too successful. Everton; - Sagar, goal, Common and Wilson, backs, Kelly, McClure, and J. Whyte, half-backs, Ritchie, Dunn, Wilkinson, Weldon, and Stein, forwards.


Liverpool county combination

Burscough Rangers were surprised at home. With the wind behind them in the first half they pressed hard, but were never really dangerous, because they would persist in the close passing game. Everton's more open tactics were for more effective, and they deservedly won. Lewis, French, and Bryan scored for Everton. Hagesen, one of the home backs, kicking through his own goal



August 10 th 1929. Liverpool Post and Mercury.

Everton were said to be watching a Dundee half-back and a Aberdeen, forward. There are tales going the rounds the Everton are prepared to transfer some players as part of the deal, when securing new men. But all the stories that emanate, from Scotland regarding football transfer should be taken like porridge, with salt.



December 14 th 1929. The Daily Courier.


By Ijay.

Everton seem to have a one chance of improving their position in the First Division table as a result of Manchester United's visit to Goodison Park. Home points have been few and far between, but the Blues' form last week suggests that they are on the up-grade. Both sides are still in the depths, and a loss to either means a serious position to fail over the holidays. With this in mind, the home players must go all out and if the forwards can produce the form they showed against Leciester there should be no doubt about the result. By the way, it is good to hear that Dixie Dean has so improved from his recent operation that he reports for duty on Tuesday. We all hope that he will soon be in his old form, and we are already wondering what will happen when the famous centre-forward finds himself alongside such an artist as Arthur Rigby. Manchester United have lost seven of their nine away games this season, and can hardly expect to improve this record as “results of their visit to Everton.” A win today will relieve a lot of our anxiety and give us hope of a sustained revival for the crowded programme, which is coming on shortly. Naturally enough the home side are relying on the same team which defeated Grimsby which means Griffiths is still centre half and Alec Troup will figure at outside left for the first time this season in a league game. The teams are as follows, kick-off being at 2-15; Everton; Davies, Cresswell, O'Donnell; Robson, Griffiths, Virr; Critchley, Martin, White, Rigby, Troup. Manchester United; Stewart; Moore, Dale; Hildithch, Taylor, Wilson; Spence, Hanson, Ball, Rowley, Thomas.



December 16 th 1929. The Daily Courier.




By The Pilot.

Everton's display against Manchester United at Goodison Park on Saturday was further proof of their inconsistency, for, following a brilliant victory a Grimsby, they allowed the lowly-placed Mancunians to force a goalless draw, after having enjoyed much the better of the proceedings. It was the poorest encounter I have seen at the Park this season, and, while I do not advance this as an excuse for the indifferent football served up, especially in the second half, the fact that the ground was like clay made accurate combination difficult. The first half produced the better football, and in this period Everton should have established a substantial lead, for only on isolated occasions did the United make ground. The visiting forwards were in the grip of the home halves, at this stage.two matters in particular kept the score sheet blank. The first was the masterly display by Stewart, the hero of this uninteresting battle by struggling clubs. He made not a single error throughout, and had half-a-dozen shots to stop to every one by Davies. The second was the monotonous manner in which the Everton forwards “fed” Stewart with their approach centres and transfers. This contributed to Stewart's prominence. Balls were coming right on top of him time after time, but I admired the way in which he placed them out of danger with confident fisting. It must be admitted that Everton occasionally shot well, but ill-luck dogged these essays. There were, however, other times when the finishing was weak. Once White got clean through with only Steward to beat, but he hit it straight to the advancing goalkeeper. In the second half there was a deal of indecision in front of goal, which enabled the sturdy, relentless United defenders to dash in and cover up. The United were a really poor side in the first half and in their frenzy they ballooned the ball anywhere. Rarely have I seen so much haphazard kicking by First Division footballers. On the other hand, Everton did attempt good football and there were some delicious passing movements between the halves and the forwards. Still, they should have swung the ball about more on such a holding pitch, for many of their short passes struck dead in the mud. The United backs were just the sort to become hopelessly at sea had the Blues kept the ball moving from wing to wing.


Everton had a narrow escape in the first half, when Thomas levelled a pretty centre for Spence to dart in and head against the cross-bar, but some minutes later this was balanced when the Manchester bar kept out a praiseworthy header from Griffiths. Yes, the first half had its points, but the second period was absolutely void of thrills or good football save for one clever move by Robson, and a bout of accurate inter-passing between Martin and Critchley. The United threw discretion to the winds in their determination to hold on to a point, and relied on tenacity and a lusty boot to pull them out of difficulties. Then, it was obvious that the heavy going was taking its toll on the home men, and even Griffiths was leg –weary 15 minutes before the end. He was not the only one, either. The United had equally as much of the poor play after the change of ends, not because they were such a greatly improved side, but because the Blues had deteriorated. Any luck that was going went the way of the United, and particularly do I refer to a great cross drive by Martin which struck Dale full in the chest and bounded outside. I think Stewart would have been left helpless with this shot. Then White, after getting clean through, found the mud slipping away from his feet when he was about to do the necessary.


Davies had a quite a easy time in the Everton goal, receiving mostly distance calls, which offered no difficulty. Cresswell kicked a nice length, but would persist in running away from his man when a sharp incisive tackle was the obvious order. This threw work of the shoulders of Robson and O'Donnell to a marked degree, and accounted for the fact that Thomas was able to get clear so often in the second half. O'Donnell tackled finely and was a zealous intervene, but he ruined what would have been a fast exhibition by faulty place-kicking. Robson was the best man on the side, for he combined incisiveness with skill. He would never except defeat, and willingly lent a helping hand to one in an uncomfortable position. He has become a master at giving the “dummy,” and clever ball control and deceptive body swerving enabled him to be prime mover in many a raid on the Manchester citadel. Griffiths worked hard and creditably in the opening period, but was beaten for pace and staying powers later on. Occasionally he was floundering near the centre-line when the United were prancing round the home goal, Virr, played with his usual dash and thought without getting his name in electric lights.


Forward, Martin was the outstanding player, he was one who could make the mud an asset. He held the ball for just the requisite time and shot well when he had the chance. Still, the adroit book passes to Critchley and White are the big feature. Critchley had a really good first half and again combined artistically with his partner. Dale simply could not hold him this stage, and his crossing was good. Later on he was not such a potent force because he hesitated too much. Troup was given a great chance with a good pass, but even then he failed to produce his usual standard of centring. More often than not a the first half he placed to Stewart. Rigby was hardly happy, and White, though earnest, was so good as usual. Thomas was the pick of a disjointed Manchester attack, but he was only better than Spencer because he received more attention from his colleagues. Hilditch is still a clever half-backs, but Taylor was the man who bumped the best out of the picture later on. Dale and Moore were poor backs, from a scientific point of view and were fortunate in that Everton played in their hands as the game progressed. Steward was the man who won the United a point is grand display, but the Blues should have scored goals in spite of him.


This was a game best forgotten. Early on Evertton promised well, then slowly but surely it became a veritable scramble. Teams; - Everton; Davies, goal, Cresswell and O'Donnell, backs, Robson, Griffiths and Virr, half-backs; Critchley, Martin, White, Rigby, and Troup (captain), Manchester United;- Steward, goal, Moore, and Dale, backs, Mitchditch, Taylor and Wilson, half-backs, Spence, Hanson, Ball, Rowley, and Thomas, forwards.



December 16 th 1929. The Daily Courier.


After being the more promising side in a strenuous game at Blackpool, Everton fell away in attack, and Blackpool gathering confidence, turned what had seemed certain defeat into a victory. Everton secured a three goals lead by clever forward work in which Wilkinson was prominent. Wilkinson score twice and Ritchie got the third goal. Three of the Blackpool goals were the result of free kick. The scores for Blackpool were Ritchie (aw) (2), Hughes (2), and Oxberry.


Liverpool county combination.

At Shrewberry lane. The League leaders suffered their heaviest defeat. The winners played clever football. Calvert in the home goal, gave a creditable display. Bryan, Webster, Dyke (3), and French were the scorers. McIntilly and Roberts did well for the visitors, Hodgkinson was the better of the halves and Jones made some excellent saves.



December 17 th 1929. The Daily Courier.


Now, as to Everton's prospects, hear what Hunter Hart, the captain says; “I think you will find Everton in the fourth round. Personally, I am of the opinion it is a good draw, because Carlisle represent a comparatively easy obstacle in the path to Wembley and, incidentally, more important matches.” Everton will be playing on a new ground, but as Hunter Hart points out, the opposition is not very severe, and with Dixie Dean in the team the Goodison Park side should have no anxieties as far as this particular round is concerned. At the same time it is well to remember that Everton have been given shocks in the Cup competition by the lowly clubs and Carlisle have the grit and ability to manage to do the same with that extra bit of luck that plays havoc with “form.” Still, Everton classic style should overwhelm them.


As for Dean, the famous Everton centre-forward has made a rapid recovery from the operation on his foot, and began training again at Goodison Park yesterday. He sprinted round the ground several times and also did some muscle loosening in the gymnasium. With the handicap of a big casualty list disappearing, Everton should make up leeway in both Cup and League competition. By the way, Cape, the Carlisle outside-right, has aroused Everton's interest. He scored 250 goals while a centre forward for a school team last season, and scored two of the four goals for Carlisle against Crewe in the Cup-tie last Saturday.



December 18 th 1929. Liverpool Post and Mercury

Everton are due to meet Sheffield United at Bramell lane on Saturday, owing to Critchley being injured, changes are necessary in the forward line, and martin takes the outside right berth with Dunn as his partner. The wing perth is not a new one for Martin, as he was a great force in this position when playing for Hull City though I fancy it is his first turn on the wing while at Goodison Park. Dunn has now thoroughly recovery now, his injury a and may be expected to make an excellent partner for Martin, who played a prominent part in the defeat of his present club in an FA cup-tie by his forceful and accurate play at outside right.


Derby Daily Telegraph -Friday 20 December 1929

Though Cape, the Carlisle United outside-right, declined an offer to go to Everton, the Goodison club is very anxious to secure this youngster, who, I am told, is one of the most promising forwards in the Third Division. Mr. W. C. Cuff, the Everton chairman, watched Cape playing three times. Everton will have a further opportunity of seeing him play, for he will be against them in the next round of the cup competition. Bourton, the former Bristol City centre-forward, does not seem to be in form with Blackburn Rovers this season, though during the last campaign he figured in 28 League matches for the Ewood team and scored a dozen goals. I know a First Division club that took a great fancy to Bourton last season, and they would be open to make a deal if the Rovers have any idea of parting with the player. Everton this season have secured two Rovers' players in Whyte, a half-back, and Rigby, a forward. Bourlon might make a fine deputy for Dean at centre.


The First Goals Nets

Lancashire Evening Post- December 21, 1929

Robert Smalley

interesting question was put to me during the week by a Preston. friend the correct answer to which, thinks, might appreciated by others. He warned to know when goal nets were first used, and his own impression was that the occasion was the international at Blackburn, the famous “boycott” match. Off hand. I thought it was about 1890, but this did not square with the opinion of our old friend “ Bob '' Smalley, who happened to come along in timely fashion, and who, going back on his own experience goalkeeper in Everton's first big side, placed the date at 1892. On reference records I find that goal nets were invented and patented by Mr.. Brodie, of Liverpool, in 1890, but that is not to say that they were actually used that year. They underwent a lot of testing and experimenting before they into general adoption. But on turning back the file to that match at the then new Park in April, 1881. I failed find such reference to tho nets as would certainly have been made to them had they been an innovation. In the course of tho account of the game there is an allusion to an incident when the ball seemed to enter the net and come out again,'' which is evidence of the fact that they were in use on that occasion without their creating any surprise, so that it may reasonably assumed that it was not the first time any means that they had been seen. Without going through tho files with a tooth-comb it is impossible to say when they were originally tried, but it is fairly clear that it was sometime about, or just after, the beginning of season 1890-1.

A Goalkeeper's Famous Header

In talking over the question Mr. Goalkeeper's Smalley recalled two instances in his experience which showed the Header, kind of thing that used to happen before the nets came into use, and how results were not always quite what they ought to have been. The first occurred in a match in which he was playing for Everton, and which was refereed by the late Mr. J. J. Bentley. A shot was driven in sharply following a save, and as he could not get his hands up to it quickly enough he actually headed the ball over the bar, feat he was pardonably proud of as something that did not happen every day in goalkeeper's life. Judge, then, of his amazement when “J. J. B.” allowed goal , under the impression that the ball had beaten him and gone through. Protestations were all in vain, for the man who afterwards became president of the Football League refused to listen, and the goal stood In the second instance the scene was the old Barley Bank ground of the then powerful Darwen club, and as a hard shot from the wing was made. Bob turned it just inside the far post. The ball undoubtedly went through, but it passed undetected by the referee, and play went on. A short time afterwards one of the Darwen team said to Smalley, Hey, that ba' was through, wasn't it?” ‘‘Oh, yes,” he admitted, “but that doesn't matter now.” Two illustrations, one for and the other against the goalkeeper, of the importance of the nets, which not long afterwards were brought in. Incidentallv, Mr. Smalley recalls the time that Everton, when they had just developed real team, had a visit from North End at Anfield, where they then played, and had five goals driven through them in 20 minutes by football that made the ball talk.” One of the goals was shot through at such pace by Gordon that the luckless goalkeeper did not know what had happened, and he was placing the ball for a goal-kick when Gordon asked him what he was dreaming about. Nets certainly have been useful things!


DECEMBER 21 ST 1929. The Daily Courier.


Everton have shown just a glimpse of the form we expect from them, during the last two weeks, during which period their defence has returned a clean sheet. Three points out of four have been taken, and if the forwards can show a little improvement in the shooting department, the team should have another two today. Sheffield United, even at Bramall-lane, are not unbeatable, but, like the Blues they are in some need of points, and will not go down without a great flight. Everton have been forced to make two changes from the side, which divided against Manchester United. Martin takes the place of the injured Critchley on the extreme right wing, and Dunn comes back into the side to take Martin's usual position at inside right. This forward formation should not weaken the side, and White should have many chances of showing his shooting ability between such fine exponents as Dunn and Rigby, two of the greatest artists in the game at the present time. Two points will give the Blues confidence for the holiday programme, and a good start is half the battle. Plenty of first time shooting and a continuance of the excellent defensive work should ensure the points for the Goodison Park side. Following are the teams; - Everton; Davies; Cresswell and O'Donnell; Robson, Griffiths, Virr, Martin, Dunn, White, Rigby, Troup. Sheffield United; Wharlton; Gibson (Jr) Birks, Sampey, Matthews, Green, Gibson (s), Pickering, Dunne, Phillipson, Tunstall.



December 23 rd 1929. The Daily Courier.



By The Pilot.

Everton started their holiday programme in a disappointing manner Bramall-lane, where Sheffield United fully deserved their victory by two clear goals. The margin just represented the difference between the sides –no more, no less. On an extremely slippery ground neither side reached a high standard of football, and the match throughout was scrappy and uninteresting. The United is true, had a couple of bright patches, and the Blues one, but even then the football was not completely satisfying, for there was a distinct absence of finishing ability. The outstanding lesson of the encounter was that the Everton team, as not constituted, will not get the club out of the parlous position it is in at this moment. Changes will have to be made –not many, but such as will transforms this so-and-so combination into a good one. There was almost a complete absence of scientific football on the part of the Blues, though the intentions were good. The number of good attacking moves could be counted on the fingers of one hand. It was a source of great disappointment to find the Goodison men so out of touch with each other. There was not the slightest vestige of dovetailing and the various departments rarely connection in the manner we know they can. The United opened in a highly promising manner, their sharp, snappy passes getting the Blues on the run right away, but it was then that the Everton defence showed up well, especially O'Donnell, on whose willing shoulders fell the largest share of the work. Time after time the Sheffield men were crowded out right on the post, but at other times their own ineptitude came to the rescue of Everton. Had the home players been as incisive in their shooting as they were in these early passing bouts they must have scored.


When Everton did break away it was through individuals, and the clever Wharton dealt with these raids in the effective manner of dashing out of goal before giving the forward the chance to shoot. It is true that White once broke through and delivered one of the best shots of the match from an acute angle. Wharton flung himself out and succeeded in hitting the ball against the post and then scrambling it behind. The only other occasion when Everton became really dangerous in the first half was when Martin received the two passes his colleagues thought fit to bestow on him. I had become reconciled to a goallless draw soon after the resumption, for the United attacked only in a half-hearted manner and the Everton machinery would not operate in a workmanlike manner. The football was poor and the 20,000 people became depressed. Suddenly there was a bright spark when Troup forced Wharton to beat down a fast rising shot, to be followed by some commendable shooting efforts by Tunstall, who seemed to despair that his inside men would do the trick. It was he who enabled Davies to shine.


Even the pressman were yawning and yearning for some incident when Pickering gave the United the lead at the end of 68 minutes, and the manner in which the goal was secured was like an oasis in a desert of mediocre football. Matthews deliciously slipped forward Birks' free kick and Pickering it over to Dunne before running into position. Dunne gave him the ball just as he wanted it and a swift, low shot into the near corner gave Davies no chance. A heavy mist then came on top add to the somber picture and Tunstall crashed the ball into the Everton net to raise a cheer. That shout and the handshaking were premature, however, for the referee had spotted handling by Phillipson. Seven minutes later Dunne set the seal of defeat on the blues by cleverly hooking home a hip-high cross by S. Gibson, who had walked past Virr and the latter had been standing still. People began to leave the ground in hundreds then and I for one, did not blame them. This was a brief rally by the Blues, and how Wharton kept out Rigby's shot remains a mystery to me. He leapt backwards and across the goal to his left hand to it. A great drive from Tunstall which impinged on the post; the final whistle went and we left the ground far from inspired. There were two Evertonians who stoodout and head and shoulders above the rest –Davies, and O'Donnell. Davies had plenty of difficult shots to discharge, but he displayed excellent judgement and showed keen anticipation. O'Donnell relentlessness in tackling and intervening, his kicking, and the willingness with which he always help a colleague should have inspired others to greater things.


Neither Cresswell nor Robson was comfortable against the speedy and wily Tunstall, who is still one of the greatest left-wingers in the country. Robson held him during the first half, but could not pick up Tunstall's route later. Griffiths was a strong defender who rarely tried to “put his man away” when it came to tackle, but Virr was far from happy. The only trouble with the halves was that they gave the right support to the forwards only in space and this seriously hampered the operations of the men in front. I pitied Martin in whom was vested the responsibilities of trying to solve the outside-right position for he only received four workable passes in the whole afternoon. White played a worrying game on poor material. Rigby performed earlier without bringing a deal of grist to the mill and certainly think he would do better on the wing. where Troup was unconvincing, except when ball was clear of all opposition. It was not so much as individuals, but a team, that the Blues failed. There was a semblance of combination, and so players try to look around to find their men more often than not. The home team deserved the points, and their heartiest thanks must go to Wharton grand goalkeeper, the tall Matthews, an Green, who completed the half-line which is turned the scale's in favour of the United, Dunne a virile leader; Tunstall and Pickering. Everton must find a side that will walk a scientific football if they are to cut any points in the Christmas matches. Sheffield United; - Wharton, goal, Gibson (Jr), and Birks, backs, Sampy, Matthews and Green, half-backs, Gibson (s), Pickering, Dunne, Phillipson, and Tunstall, forwards. Everton; - Davies, goal, Cresswell and O; Donnell, backs, Robson, Griffiths, and Virr, half-backs, Martin, Dunn, White, Rigby and Troup (captain), forwards.



December 23 rd 1929. The Daily Courier


Everton gave another capital display, and when they held a three goals' lead an easy win seemed assured. The Rovers, however, rallied, and at the close there was only a goal separating the sides, which just about represented Everton's superiority. Wilkinson scored Everton's first two goals. Easton headed a third, but within a minute or so Graves opened Blackburn's account. Bourton scored the Rovers second near the end. Everton; Sagar, goal, Common and Kennedy, backs, Kelly, McClure and Lewis, half-backs, Ritchie, Easton, Wilkinson, Weldon, and Stein, forwards.



December 24 th 1929. The Daily Courier.



The Christmas holiday is not a holiday for the professional footballer, and as usual (writes Ijay) he is faced with the task of playing through a heavy programme without being able to enjoy the usual festivities. Liverpool have the easier task on paper than Everton. The Everton directors are fully cognisant of the danger ahead, and they have made half-a-dozen alterations in their team to meet the Wednesday tomorrow (kick off 2.15). The most important of these concerns “Dixie” Dean, the International centre-forward, who, now fit, again following the operation on his foot, will return to lead the attack. This will be joyous news for friends of the Goodison park side. Critchley and White are chosen as the right wing pair in place of Martin and Dunn. Martin goes into inside-left, while Rigby will be his partner on the outside.


One change is made in the defence. As Cresswell has played in every match this season, he is being given a well deserved rest tomorrow. His deputy will be Common. Everton, therefore will field the following team; Davies; Common, O'Donnell; Robson, Griffiths, Virr; Critchley, White, Dean, Martin, Rigby.


Everton's forwards have been out of form, and seem to have lost their shooting boots, but “Dixie” Dean's return for the home game tomorrow have the necessary effect on the side. Everton's task on Boxing Day at Hillisbrough is no enviable one, and I shall be surprised if they return with a point. Last season Everton did well over the holiday period, and similar success would be welcome.



December 27 th 1929. The Daily Courier.

The Christmas Day match found the Wednesday on the top of their form and the Blues all at sixes and sevens. The score, in fact, by no means demonstrated the superiority of the Yorkshiremen. They gave a classic exhibition of fast, combined penetrative football. With the return of Dean it was hoped for something-extra good from the Blues, but, unfortunately, he found himself hardly “ripe,” and after receiving a nasty blow from Brown, could do little. In addition, the Everton half-backs were absolutely off colour, and so there was not the slightest trace of a link between defence and attack. The Wednesday were two seconds quicker on the ball, and their machinery worked so smoothly that the Blues were always kept on the run. Everton it is true opened up well, and I expected them to make a show, but they gradually faded right out of the picture until the pace became so hot that they could not stand it. Allen scored a lovely goal with his left foot after eight minutes, and Hooper proceeded to collect a hat-trick. Two minutes from the White gained a consolation goal for the Blues. Everton; - Davies, goal, Common and O'Donnell, backs, Robson, Griffiths, and Virr, half-backs, Critchley, White, Dean (captain), Martin, and Rigby, forwards. Sheffield Wedbesday; - Brown, goal, Walker, and Blnkinsopp, backs, Strange, Leach and Marsden, half-backs, Hooper, Seed, Allen, Burgess, and Rimmer, forwards.



December 27 TH 1929. The Daily Courier.



By the Pilot

For the return match between Everton and the Wednesday drastic changes were made in the Goodison side, and several of them proved successful. Particularly do I prefer to the introduction of an unceremonious pivot from Wallsey McClure, and the return of Hart. Everton did well yesterday up to half-time, but were later outclassed by a smarter, more incisive team. This despite the fact that the Champions had a rearranged side owing to injury. Strange to say, Leach, who was injured so that he had to go to the outside left, scored two goals. Prior to the reshuffle, however, Everton had chirped a merry tune to the Wednesday, and from Rigby Weldon and Hart came the prettiest and most scientific football I have seen from any Everton side since the Grimsby match. The Champions did not reach the Everton goalmouth at all during the first five minutes, and made only half-hearted attacks up to 16 minutes, when they took the lead with a goal secured through real football. Everton had been going great guns with McClure an intrepid tackler and break-up, and a judicious feeder. Wilkinson hit the post after snapping up one of his through passes, and then when the Champions were making ground on the right. Strange undoubtedly their best player, surprised friend and foe with a low swinging pass right to the feet of Rimmer on the left. Rimmer sliced the ball a few yards in to the waiting Burgess, who, unmarked stabbed it into the roof of the net. It was just before the interval that the referee had occasion to speak to McClure, though never admonishing Allen, and this seemed to upset the debutant. At least he did not do so well after, in addition, he was subjected to barracking from the crowd just because he did not stand on ceremony. With Seed the versatile acting as pivot, the Wednesday got down to more series and better work on resuming, and after Davies had made a great one handed save from Allen after 49 minutes he merely tapped down Hooper's subsequent corner, and Leach had nothing to do but slip the ball into the net.


Everton were beaten from that point onwards and even the erstwhile clever left wing became disjoined, though Rigby still continued to play excellently. In 79 minutes when O'Donnell made a feeble attempt to pass back to Cresswell, Allen nipped through and let go a beauty, which Davies parried. Before he could recover Leach had scraped the ball inst. inside the post with Cresswell fighting valiantly to force it out. Two minutes from the end Allen scored the fourth goal with a wonderful shot from the edge of the “box” after Robson had headed out from a corner. It was a marvellous effort. In the first half Everton were good. There was some semblance of cohesion and real ground football, but the shock of the goal after having had equally as much of the opening play, seemed to upset them. It changed a promising team into a bad one. The Champions were eager to take all the license given them, and with their halves again operating grandly, they steeped boldly forward to victory. The Wednesday were quicker on the ball, and possessed the better ideals, but they must have considered themselves children of fortune to turn over with a lead. Teams; - Sheffield Wednesday; - Brown, goal, Walker, and Blenkinson, backs, Strange, Leach, and Marsden, half-backs, Hooper, Seed, Allen, Burgess, and Rimmer, forwards. Everton; - Davies, goal Cresswell and O'Donnell, backs, Robson McClure and Hart (captain), half-backs, Ritchie, Martin, Wilkinson, Weldon, Rigby, forwards.




No Details.


December 27 th 1929. The Daily Courier.


Everton introducing “A” team players in Leyland (right fullback) and Liggins (out-side right). The home side played inspired football in the first half and although Sheffield did the major portion of the attacking Sagar's brilliance in goal prevented many of the Wednesday's fine passing bouts terminating successfully. Easton scored the first goal, and Dunn made it possible for Attwood to add the second. Persistent Sheffield pressure was rewarded with a goal to Whitehouse, and Johnson follow with the equaliser, but Everton by spirited determination went to the front again, Easton scoring with a penalty, and Stein adding a fourth before the interval. After resuming Wilkinson made the score 4-3 and when the Wednesday were fighting hard for the equaliser Sagar saved many times from the Yorkshire forwards.


Yorkshire Post-Saturday 28 December 1929

Everton have secured the transfer Ben Williams, the Swansea. Town and Welsh International right, back. Negotiations were completed the end of the match between Swansea Town and Notts County on Boxing Day. Williams holds four international caps, having secured two them this season.


Hull Daily Mail-Saturday 28 December 1929

Everton Football Club have secured the transfer of Ben Williams, the Swansea Town and Welsh international right back. Negotiations were completed at tho conclusion of the match between Swansea Town and Notts County on Boxing Day. . Williams, who is in his season with Swansea, was born Penrhiwoeiber, and played for tho local Welsh League club before going to Swansea. He holds four international " caps," having secured two them this season.


December 28 th 1929. Liverpool Post and Mercury

Everton have secured the transfer of Ben Williams the Swansea Town and welsh international right full back, and he will make his first appearance for his new club on new year's day. Negotiations were completed the conclusion of the match between stoke Swansea and Notts County on Boxing Day. Williams who is in his sixth season with Swansea was born at Penrhiwceiber, and played for the local Welsh league club, before going to Swansea. Williams holds four international caps, having secured two this season. Twenty-five years-of-age, Williams is well built, standing 5ft 11ins, in height and weighting 12 and half stone. Apart from one period when injury kept him inactive for many months he his appeared regularly at right back and has this season been the most conspicuous defender in the team. Swansea town, who are the bottom of division three table have no experienced player up to Williams standard to fill the vacancy, but there are several promising younger attracted to the club


Further changes were decided on last night. Griffiths is suffering from a cold and Virr is nursing an injured knee, white is to take the pivotal position. While McClure who played at centre-half on Thursday moves to left half in place of hart, while Critchley returns to the right wing, with Troup in the left, as Rigby partner. . Meanwhile I am officially , informed that when Dean was hurt in the Christmas day it was not the foot which had been operated on that was injured. He sustained a kick on the other ankle and this prevented the centre-forward taking his customary active part in the proceedings.


Dundee Courier -Monday 30 1929

A Hint for Players to Escape Relegation Grip

By Larry Lincoln

CHRISTMAS always produces plenty of surprises, but this holiday period, plus last Saturday's games, produced perhaps the greatest upsets the game has known. The outstanding feature has been the steadiness of the champions and the failure of the former champions, Everton, who have never suffered so hefty eclipse, four games on the run having been lost, and two cases of four goals against, and one of five. THERE is a thorough panic in the Everton camp, and as Dean cannot play owing to a damaged ankle —not the one operated upon a few weeks ago—they have hardly any hope of relieving the situation. As a fact, Everton have two fine features to help them, time and money. I hear that they have already put out feelers to the Arsenal Club for the purpose of signing Brain, the centre-forward, and Charlie Jones, the outside-left, who likes to play inside-left and cannot get a show owing to Alex. Jamesbeing there before him. Arsenal cannot drop James because he is playing their type of game, compared to some of the others, who have a slap-dash method Mr Chapman won't encourage. Jones, therefore, smarts on the extreme wing, and when James sends a ball across to the right wing Jones perhaps feels he is being neglected in the cause of high art. It may denied, but you can take it from me official and trustworthy that Jones is on offer. Arsenal will not sell cheap.

EVERTON'S position has become so urgent that the club is going to delve into the Scottish camps. Tney are after Love and Hill and other Scots. Meantime, their selectors have bobbed and shingled the side till the men cannot settle down. Hunter Hart came back for one match only. Troup had two matches only, and Rigby, the new man was outside and inside left in quick turn. Martin has been outside right, inside-right, inside-left in successive moves. O'Donnell crocked a leg. He is the seventh man for hospital from Goodison Park. Ritchie may yet get back, because he is playing rather well, whereas Dunn is playing too far back to be convincing.

EVERTON will not sell at any price, and Dunn will first on the list, I believe. Then Everton will buy. They had scouts Glasgow on Saturday, and I believe there were no fewer than 13 scouts out with special instructions make trustworthy side that shall get out the relegation grip. BOLTON put on five against Everton, and Gibson ' got one and provided three by his fine intuition. He is the genius of a line that has gone back in twelve months.


December 30 th 1929. The Daily Courier.






By The Pilot.

Everton wound up a sad and sorry Christmas with a five clear goals defeat at the hands of Bolton Wanderers at Burnden Park, on Saturday, and now occupy one of the danger positions in the League table. Out of the three holiday matches they have gained no points and only one goal to put against thirteen secured by opponents. Their position is more than serious. On Christmas Day against the Wednesday they gave a poor exhibition, but opposed by the cunning Wanderers they were demoralised from start to finish, and were never in the hurt with a chance. The ground was like a quagmire and rain pelted down all the time, but yet the Blues thought fit to try and force the ball through the mud instead of making full use of the extreme wingers, who could operate on solid ground, like Bolton did. It was a case of mistaken tactics all through, but there was more in it than that –the half-backs were totally inadequate. In that lies the secret of Bolton's success. Their middle line supported both attack and defence in the correct manner, but the Everton trio were kept running hither and thither, never giving a workable pass to the men in front, and scarcely helping the galliant defence, which alone saved the side from an even greater reverse. The Everton forwards had some excuse in that they received no support whatever, but then it was only the half-starved wingers who brought any danger to the home goal. The inside men, while working as hard as they could, were pursing a totally wrong method to ever bring success. The credit in this game, speaking only from the Everton standpoint goes to Davies, Cresswell and O'Donnell. It seems passing strange that an outplayed, outmanceovred side should possess the outstanding player on the field, but Everton had him in Cresswell, who has not played better this season. I say this while cognisant of the fact that he was one of the regular star performers at the beginning of the campaign. O'Donnell also operated grandly, but had the misfortune to injure his right knee midway in the second half, and after a spell on the wing, went off for good. He was later examined by a specialist, who states that he has stretched a ligament, which will necessitate his knee being in splints for ten days. It is yet another blow to the club, but there is hope O'Donnell will be ready for the Cup-tie. Davies was the third man to do well, and he had no chance with the shots, which beat him, for when Blackmore, who got four, is in a shooting mood, few goalkeepers have an earthly.


Bolton had fortune on their side, in the first half, not so much in the matter of play, but in the manner in which the goals were obtained. There was no denying the fact that they were the better team on the day and their fast-moving forwards played havoc with the Blues' halves, so that Cresswell and O'Donnell had to take most of the responsibility from first to last. They stood up to it manfully, and I was inclined to pity them that two such unfortunate goals should been chalked against them at the change-over. The first came after ten minutes when McKay shot, following a corner. The ball was going wide, but Gibson managed to flick it into the net at the last minute. There was an element of luck about this. After 33 minutes Kean only half hit the ball up the middle, where Blackmore took command and ran through on his own. His low shot was diverted by Davies, but hardly far enough for it hit the post struck in the mud, and was thankfully tapped home by the menacing Blackmore before any defender could come up to save the situation. All through the half Everton had kept the ball too close, but Troup and Critchley did well when given the chance. Those chances were very few and far between, however. Pym's sole exacting tasks were to handle shots from Troup and Martin. It was almost akin to a procession in the second half, for Bolton liberally toyed with the Blues until they came against the backs, whose efforts undoubtedly kept the score down. Even when McClure and White changed places there was little difference. Bolton adopted the right measures, whereas Everton were always placing additional obstances in their own path.


In the 63 rd and 64 th minutes Blackmore completed his hat-trick with lighting drives. In the first instance he hit Kean's pass as it dropped, and there were few people who saw the ball until it lay peacefully in the net, and the second time he snapped up a pass from Cook, wheeled round Cresswell and almost broke the net, so powerful was his shot. No once did the Blues raise a hope of retrieving their lost position, and it came as no surprise when Blackmore added a fifth by ramming home after Cresswell had headed to his feet. I felt sorry for Cresswell this time for it was his one error during the match. A great record, though. Everton made changes, which can only be written down as failures. The full backs and goalkeeper were excellent, well, neither of the three has played better this season. The tackling anticipation and kicking of the backs was perfect, and Davies did his work with a coolness and readiness that needed no improvement. Even when Cresswell was left on his own he was the dominating personality of the game, and it was small wonder that the crowd rose to him. I had expected big things with White as centre half again, but he was left floundering by the astute Bolton forwards, who realised how essential it was to make play of Cook and Butler. McClure was a robust as at Hillsbrough, but that carried him nowhere, and, to put it plainly, he was outclassed. Robson was a fighter to the end, but accomplished little in defence and less in attack. Facts must be faced in the present circumstances, and I emphatically assert that the cause of Everton's lapse is weakness at half-back.


Troup and Critchley did as well as anyone would have expected on the material they were given, especially in the first half, but they lacked the right support, because the inside men were always trying to traverse a hopeless trial down the mud-strewn centre. Martin seemed loath to part with the ball, and Rigby made the mistake of always trying to put Wilkinson through. Still he is, without doubt, a winger, not an inside forward, so there is excuse for him. Wilkinson relied on speed, but his ball control was not good enough, and he fell easy prey to the lanky Round. The game was quite good in the circumstances for the Wanderers played today lovely football at times. They could afford to by the way, for the opposition was poor. The defence had an easy time, for the halves bore the brunt of the work and could accomplish it easily. Kean was the pick of the line. Cook played better than I have ever seen him, and he was the one man on the field, who could luggle with the ball. Butler was a great asset to the side, but then both these men succeeded because the team wisely decided that they were the trustiest rapiers to use. I wish Everton had though the same Troup and Critchley. In Blackmore the Wanderers had the right man to finish off the work. Rarely have I seen such brilliant shooting as his while his wide passes were flung with the utmost accuracy. Gibson was the mastermind in this splendid attack, but McKay to my mind, constituted a comparatively weak link. He lacked ideas. Everton failed utterly to give anything approaching good football, and were well and truly defeated by an infinitely superior combination. The teams ; - Bolton Wanderers; - Pym, goal, Haworth and Finney, backs, Kean, Round, and Nuttall, half-backs, Butler, McKay, Blackmore, Gibson and Cook, forwards. Everton; - Davies, goal, Cresswell and O'Donnell, backs, Robson, White, and McClure, half-backs, Critchley, Martin, Wilkinson, Rigby and Troup (captain), forwards.



December 30 th 1929. The Daily Courier


The game was played under atrocious conditions, but, until the later stages, when play became almost farcical, both sides gave an excellent exhibition. Everton were the better side and scored through Liggins, Easton and Dunn, and Pemberton scored for Burnley. Features of the game were the brilliant goalkeeping of Sagar and some excellent work by Stein.


Liverpool county combination.

Despite the bad weather conditions at Whiston. The opening play in this Liverpool county combination game was good and interesting. Forshaw, Vaughan and Collins each extended Calvert, but the visiting goalkeeper was safe. French was a clever leader for Everton, and scored two capital goals. After the interval the referee (Mr. Keating) deemed it advisable to abandon the game.



December 31 st 1929. The Daily Courier.



Everton's poor form at present is giving Anfielders hope that the 3-0 defeat sustained on September 7 th last at Anfield will be wiped out in the second great clash of the teams at Goodison park on Saturday. But Everton, in travail, cry, like poor “Punchinello” Laughs, for the pain that is eating they Hearts. The weakness that coast Liverpool the September match –forward deficiency –has now been practically wiped out, but, curiously enough, Everton then revealed a fault to which their present sad plight is ascribed, that is, the inadequacy of Hunter Hart, who is not likely to talk part in Saturday's game. Everton were indebted to the subtlety of Dean mainly for the victory in the first game between the rivals this season, he scored two fine goals, Martin adding the other.


It will be of interest to give the teams in that match; - they were; - Liverpool; Riley; Jackson, Done; Morrison, Davidson, McDougall; Edmed, Clark, Hidgson, Race, Hopkins. Everton; - Davies; Cresswell, O'Donnell; Kelly, White Hartt; Ritchie, Dunn, Dean, Martin, Stein.

It must be mentioned that Liverpool were without Clark for all the second half owing to injury. The same referee as in the first match (Mr. A.J. Caseley) (Wolverhampton) will officiate next Saturday. The corresponding game to next Saturday's last season was won by Everton 1-0, by the way, the whole of the reserved seating accommodation for the game has been sold. There are, however, 12,000 unreserved seats, pay at the turnstiles.


Now, as to Everton;s Cup-tie at Carlisle on Saturday 11? Well, the Carlisle people are becoming as confident almost as Everton about feeding the Blues. While Everton have been doing badly, Carlisle have been doing quite the reverse. During the last two months they have played eleven Third Division matches and F.A. Cup-ties and of those they have won nine, lost one, and drawn one. Carlisle have put on 37 goals to their opponents 17. Carslisle are hopeful of forcing a reply, so as to share in the big “gate” in the return match at Goodison park. The prices for admission were announced yesterday by Everton. Tickets for the Cup-tie are now available at the ground, Jack Sharp's and Thomas Cook and sons, the price being 3s, and 5s. Applications must be accompanied by remittance and stamped addressed envelope.


Ben Williams, Everton's new full back from Swansea Town, will make his first appearance in the Goodison Club's colours at the Park tomorrow against the Leeds United Reserves in the Central league game.


December 1929