Everton Independent Research Data


January 2, 1928. The Daily Post
Everton by their victory at Hillsborough against Sheffield Wednesday have secured four points out of their four holiday games, which is quite satisfactory, considering that three of the matches were away from home. They did not have matters all their own way against the bottom club in the table, who are really better than their position in the League table indicates. On the run of the play the Wednesday eleven had almost as much of the attack as Everton, but their play never reached the high standard of the League leaders. All the Sheffield men worked hard. By sheer dash and determination they gained many goal-scoring openings, which went to waste through lack of finishing power. Sheffield were unable to play Harper at centre-forward, trotter leading the attack for the first time since the middle of Novemeber, but Blenkinsop and Kean were able to play, and the introduction of Marsden from the half-back line to inside right strengthened the forward line. It was Marsden who scored the first goal after twenty minutes play. Following effective passing by the left wing play, Marsden snapped up the ball, and dashing between the backs he beat Taylor with one of the few good shots of the match.

There was a good deal of wild shooting on both sides, and this was only to be expected considering the frosty conditions. The ground was covered with snow, intermixed with sand, but in parts it was slippery, and not conducive accurate play. Dean scored both Everton's goals, which brings his total for the season up to 35. The first was from a centre by Critcheley, who placed the ball into the goalmouth. Dean headed the ball against the underside of the crossbar, and Brown punched it sideways only for Dean to send his foot to the ball and place it into the net. His second goal, well on in the second half, was scored in similar circumstance. This time it was Troup who placed the ball into the goalmouth. It seemed a certainly for Brown to save, but Dean was just too quick for him, whisking the ball into the net with his hand. Sheffield Wednesday several times came near to scoring, once, when Strange drew Taylor out of goal and placed wide of him. The ball rolled slowly goalwards, Virr rushing up and just being in time to keep it out. In the later stages Taylor took the ball off the toe of a Sheffield forward almost on the goal-line, and earlier during an exciting mix-up in the goalmouth. Taylor made two remarkable saves in quick succession.

Everton were particularly well served by their half-backs. All three played well, and there was method in everything they did. Of the forwards, Critchley and Troup were effective raiders, with Dean the most enterprising on the field. Weldon gave excellent support to Troup, first drawing the Sheffield backs and then placing either to Troup or Dean. Both Weldon and Dean, however, were sadly off the mark in several shots at goal. Irvine, who took the place of Forshaw at inside right, was inclined to stick to the ball too long. Following their match at Blackburn today, the Everton players go to Cleveleys for special training in preparation for their F.A. cup tie with Preston North End. Teams: - Sheffield Wednesday: - Brown, goal, Walker, Blenkinsop, backs, Leach, Kean, and N. Smith, half-backs, Hooper, Marsden, Trotters, Stranger, and Wilkinson, forwards. Everton: - Taylor, goal, Raitt and O'Donnell, backs, Kelly, hart (captain), and Virr, half-backs, Critchley, Irvine, Dean, Weldon, and Troup, forwards.

January 2 nd 1928. The Daily Courier.
The snow and hard icy pitch made scientific football out of the question. In the adverse circumstances, however, the game was good indeed. Although Everton fully deserved the spoils, the Sheffielders' put up a fine fight and the home defence was often harassed. Hardy making several great saves, notably from Trotter and Wilkinson. The Wednesday custodian also saved well, but was completely beaten when Bain drove in the ball entering off the upright. The second point was scored midway though the second half by Easton. Everton: - Hardy, goal, Davies and Curr, backs, Bain, Griffiths, and Dickie, half-backs, Kendrick, Easton, White, Dominy and Lewis, forwards.

January 3, 1928 Yorkshire Post and Leeds Intelligencer
Tom Fern Brother
A distressing death yesterday overlook Daniel Fern, deputy at Herricroft Colliery, Shireoaks, near Workshop, where a new shaft has latterly been sunk by the Shireoaks Colliery Company. With a man named Samuel Wright, of Workshop, he was going down the sharft on a water barrel, when the barrel began to spin. This caused Fern to lose his balance, and he fell between the barrel and the scaffolding into the sump, which contained 40 feet of water. Later in the day his body was recovered, and taken to workshop Victoria Hospital, where it now lies awaiting an inquest. Fern, who lived at Measham Villas, was the son of the late Mr. W. Fern, a former chairman of the Worshop Urban District Council. His brother is Tom Fern, the old Everton goalkeeper. Wright, who is believed to have clung to the conductor ropes, suffered serious injury to the spine, and he also now lies at the Workshop Hospital.

January 3 RD 1928. The Daily Courier.
Luck was all against Everton in their match in the game they lost the service of Virr, their left half-back, and for the remainder of the game had only four forwards. Irvine having to fall back to Virr position. Everton opened with machine like precision, and for the first ten minutes their forwards gave promise of carrying all before them. Time after time they swept down on the Rovers' goal, and Dean opened the score after eleven minutes' play. Soon afterwards Virr strained a ligament in his left leg which prevented him taking any further part in the game. The Rovers' forwards were then playing with great dash and determination on and put on two goals in quick succession. Both were scored by Pudderfoot and but for the slippery foothold Taylor might have saved both of them. From then to the interval the Rovers kept up severe pressure, and Mitchell scored Blackburn's third goal during a mix-up following a corner kick accurately placed by Rigby.

Everton fought back gamely in the second half, and the fact they had only four forwards made the Rovers backs appear stronger than they really were. Everton fully held their own in the later stages, and after Rigby had put the Rovers further ahead, Dean reduced their lead. From a free kick taken by O'Donnell, Dean once again showed wonderful anticipation in meeting the ball with his head and kicking it into the net. Everton kept on trying and several times came near to scoring. The nearest effort was from a storming shot by Troup, who was given the ball by a header from Dean, and crashed it against the crossbar. The Rovers had the discomfiture of failing to score from two penalty kicks. The first penalty kick was taken by Pudderfoot, but his shot lacked force, Taylor springing sideways and saving. The second Penalty kick (O'Donnell grassed forward-Daily Post and Mercury) was entrusted to the right full back, Hutton, who shot with his left foot and sent wide of the goal. Thus making the seventh penalty kick in succession that the Rovers have missed this season. There was a record crowd for the season of more than 40,000, the gate receipts being £2,376. Teams: - Blackburn Rovers: - Cope, goal, Hutton and Jones backs, Healless, Campbell, and Whyte, half-backs, Thornewell, Puddefoot, Mitchell, McLean, and Rigby, forwards. Everton: - Taylor, goal, Raitt and O'Donnell, backs, Kelly, Hart (captain), and Virr half-backs, Critchley, Irvine, Dean, Weldon, and Troup, forwards. Referee Mr. Rennie.

January 3 rd 1928
Although the surface was water-laden Everton and Blackpool Reserves, in the course of their drawn game at Goodison Park yesterday, served up some fairly interesting football. Blackpool led by two goals at one period, but defensive errors led to the points being divided. Everton's display was disappointing, probably because the men played the wrong kind of game on sticky turf. The forwards were inclined to over dribble, but at times White showed good ideals. He was injured in the second half and changed places with Wilkinson. Bain worked hard at half-back and Griffiths, revelling in the mud, did useful work. Hardy was not safe, but scant opportunity to save the shots which passed him. Brooks and Sharp scored for Blackpool, and Dominy obtained two late on for Everton.

January 4 TH 1928
Everton Reserves put up a stern resistance in the Central League match at Bolton, but the Wanderers proved better on the heavy ground, into which players often sank ankle deep, Hardy was very clever in goal, and frequently saved his side, while Griffiths and Bain strove valiantly to nullify the Wanderers direct methods, but goals were obtained by Jack, who missed a penalty for hands against R. Curr, and Jones. White replied smartly before the interval for Everton, who were overplayed throughout the second half when Haggett headed through from a clever pass by Jones,, who was the Wanderers best forward. He is a most promising inside left from Oswestry. White and Dominy were Everton's most effective forwards, but the combination of the side was greatly effected by the muddy conditions.

January 6, 1928. The Evening Express, Liverpool
(The champions won 1-0 last season)
Manchester United At Goodison
“Barracking” Incident
Game Stopped For A Time
Bradshaw Scores Twice
By Cosmo
It was a thousand pities that such an attractive match –the meeting of Manchester United v. Everton –at Goodison Park should have fallen on such a miserable day. The persistent drizzle of rain and sheet during the morning showed no signs of abatement when the time drew near for the start. As was only to be expected the ground was in a shocking condition, being dotted almost all over with pools of water and in places a perfect quagmire. Tarpaulins had been laid in front of the respective pools, but did not prevent this portion of the playing area being exceedingly treacherous. Unfortunately, too, the rain had beaten into the principal stands, the seats being wet, and those spectators who had not provided themselves with something to sit upon had to stand up.

The Teams
Both teams were at full strength, the only change in the Everton team being the first appearance of Browell the young centre forward secured from Hull City, who took the place of Lacey as leader of the attack. The teams were;- Everton; Scott, goal; Stevenson and Macconnachie, backs; Harris, Fleetwood, and Makepeace, half-backs; Beare, Jefferis, Browell, Bradshaw, and Davidson, forwards. Manchester United; Edmunds, goal; Holden and Donnelly, backs; Duckworth, Roberts, and Bell, half-backs; Meredith, Hammill, West, Stott, and Wall, forwards. Referee; Mr. H. S. Bamlett.

The Game
There was not more than 7,000 or 8,000 spectators at the start. West put the ball in motion and after Stevenson had returned from Roberts the ball was swung out to Davidson who placed right across to the right. Beare shooting high over the bar, Stevenson next repelled two advances by the United left wing. The United came again only for Blott to be ruled offside. Beare next worked his way past Bell, but he failed to get the best of Donnelly. Following another fine centre by Davidson which was smartly intercepted, Edmonds was brought to his knees –from a long, low shot by Makepeace. The Blues continued to force matters and there was an outburst of cheering when Browell receiving from Bradshaw, dashed in a terrific drive, Edmonds diving to save. Everton next forced a corner which was cleared and then Roberts was just in time to prevent Jefferis from shooting when right in front of goal. The pressure at the United end was relieved by a break-away by Wall, who after beating Stevenson, who was lying well up, had a clear course. Macconnachie rushed across, however, and forced both players and ball into touch. Everton were soon on the aggressive again, Davidson, after rounding Holden, cleverly placed right across the goal. The United keeper fisted out at the expense of a corner. The United next attacked on the left all of their advances up to this period coming from this wing. But Stevenson and Harris took a lot of beating. Browell darted forward, but Donnolly was too quick for him. The home right wing again got going, and from a centre by Beare, Jefferis headed into goal, Edmonds saving. Then Meredith came into the picture with one of his dangerous centres, Blott heading wide of the goal. Despite the sloppy state of the ground, which was totally against accurate and fast play. Both sides repeatedly lost ground through the forwards getting in an offside position. A beautiful movement was started by Browell who passed to Beare. The latter made headway and passed to Jefferis. He tipped to Browell who, from ten yards' range had only the keeper to beat he shot, strongly Edmonds receiving the ball full in the body and clearing. Twenty-two minutes after the start Bradshaw opened the score for Everton, and hardly had the excitement subsided when the same player added a second. In the first instance Beare got in a cross shot, which Edmunds fisted out, and Browell slipped when about to shoot. Bradshaw came rushing up and let flay at the goal, the ball striking the post and rebounding into the net. From the centre kick the Blues swept down on the United goal, and Bradshaw again shot from a dangerous angle, the ball again striking the inside of the post and entering the net. The United now livened up, and during an attack on the home goal Roberts lifted the ball over his head into goal, Scott making no mistake in clearing. The game increased in pace and both sets of backs had few idle moments. The Everton forwards were certainly the most effective, and Browell the new centre-forward, took a prominent part in the beautiful passing by the home forwards. Roberts was playing his men with neat forward passes, but the line as a whole was lacking in balance. Both sides were strong in defence, Stevenson for the homesters showing a particularly sturdy front to the United left wing. Jefferis again got in a neat run, and placing to Browell the latter was only inches wide of the post. A remarkable incident occurred just before the interval, when the game had to be stopped through Wall, the Manchester outside left having altercation with one of the spectators who had been shouting out uncomplimentary remarks. Wall was seen to leave the playing area and rush up to where the objectionable spectator was standing but before any further mischief could happen Wall was persuaded to return to the playing pitch by his colleagues and on the advice of the referee a constable stationed himself where the unpleaseness occurred.

Half-time Score;- Everton 2, Manchester United 0
The first 45 minutes had witnessed some good football despite the state of the ground which was against accurate play. Everton deserved their lead of two goals. They were much superior in attack, the passing amongst the forward being pretty to watch and most effective Browell had created a good impression by his go ahead tactics in front of goal.

Browell Adds Two Goals
“Blues” Biggest Score This Season
It transpired that the objectionable spectator who had raised the ire of Wall had been using most objectionable epithets towards him. Wall went up to him to ask him to cease when –so it it stated –the spectator struck Wall in the face. Fortunately this regrettable incident went no further. The home players had discarded their mud laden trousers and jerseys during the interval and reappeared looking quite smart in a clean rigout. The United commenced the second half in determined fashion and for some moments the home goal was hard pressed, a dangerous centre being put in from both wings and Scott having to fist away dangerous shots. The Blues were not long in getting into their stride, and five minutes after the restart Browell increased the homesters lead with a beautiful shot. it was the result of a neat passing bout between Beare, Jefferis and Browell, and Edmonds had little chance to save. The tricky Everton forwards continued to delight the crowd by their neat footwork and passing. On one occasion Wall looked like going through on his own, but his shot was lacking in direction. Some amusement was caused by Roberts the United centre half being rolled in the mud. For a second or two this player was occupied in trying to shake the mud off and like many of the players he presented a pitiful object legs, body and face being literally caked with mud. Beare got in two clever sprints but both of his centres were intercepted. Browell was next prominent with a dangerous shot. At the other end West was dashing away when pulled up by Macconnachie. The visitors came again and Scott had to get rid of a hard drive by Wall. Meredith was not as prominent as he sometimes is, Makepeace spoiling many of his efforts. Some idea of the awful playing conditions can be gathered from the fact that one or two of the players had to have the mud sponged off their faces. On one occasion Roberts got an eye full so to speak, and had to return for a few moments. Everton continued to hold the upper hand. The visitors were mainly occupied in defence visitors were mainly occupied in defence. There was no abatement of energy, the United for their part being intent upon getting a goal. The homesters on the other hand, were not backward in their designs upon the United goal. At the same time the play at this period was not conducted with many thrills. On one occasion Wall made a desperate attempt to get through, Stevenson being only just in time to dispossess him. The United were awarded a corner kick, Duckworth finally placing over the bar. A few minutes from the end Browell scored his second goal after clever work by Beare. This was the Blues' biggest score this season. Final; Everton 4, Manchester U 0.
Goals scores –Everton, Bradshaw (2), Browell (2)

January 7 th 1928. The Daily Courier.
Now that Everton have scrambled free from the troublous currents of the holiday flood, which at times found them sadly engulfed, one may look forward to a less turbulent voyage. If these hopes do not materialise, then Everton cannot hope to be League leaders much longer. They have provided easy enough prey for “foreigners” in recent days, having lost three recent away games and having nine goals scored against their four. As the championship laured wreath invariably goes to the side capable of averting defeat away, as well as winning at home –or rather being consistent –it will be seen that there is just a little cause for anxiety on the part of the Blues' supporters. Being now in calmer waters, however, Everton may be relied upon to come back to a less erratic mode of existence, and they should make a good start towards the desirable end today against Middlesbrough, who are the visitors to Goodison Park.

The promoted club were first to defeat Everton in the present campaign –it was only he second game of the season, though –and they did it to the tune of four goals two. Since that time Middlesbrough have improved somewhat, but despite this one cannot help seeing Everton, who will have Cresswell back again with Rooney in the injured Virr's place, the top dogs today. There may not be much of a margin, though to make a fuss about. Middlesbrough will still be without their captain J. Carr. He was tried yesterday, but found wanting so far as his damaged knee is concerned. Consequently Kennedy, the ex-Everton player will retain the inside left berth. The match starts at 2-30, and the chosen sides are as follows: - Everton: - Taylor, goal, Cresswell (captain), and O'Donnell, backs, Kelly, Hart, and Rooney, half-backs, Critchley, Irvine, Dean, Weldon, Troup, forwards. Middlesbrough: - Mathieson, goal, Twine, and Smith, backs, Peacock, Ferguson, Ashman, Pease, McClelland, Camsell, Kennedy, Williams.

January 9 th 1928. The Daily Courier.
Tradition has always associated Everton with the clean game, and no departure will be permitted from this ideal. Without expressing an opinion, as to the merits or demerits of the unfortunate ordering –off incident in the Middlesbrough game, as the matter is sub judice, it may be said that spectators generally nowadays disfavour ebulitions of temper by any players, which might be excused among schoolboys, but not in a First Division game. The great crowd at Goodison Park showed their wisdom by receiving the referee's decision with practically no vocal comment. Possibly the majority did not see sufficient to express an opinion, although there were some who though Referee Scholey might have met the position with the less drastic caution. He preferred after the game to make no pronouncement and his next step will be to report the circumstances to the F.A.

Tony Weldon and James McClelland, who received orders to quit, are Scots, Middlesbrough are in fact, partial to players from across the Borders. McClelland is a six-footer, and it will be recalled that he scored a heap of goals when with Southend. That was when he was a goal scoring centre-forward. As a stylish, thoughtful type of inside man, one would imagine him to be the last to incur the displeasure of a referee. That view also apples to Weldon, who has done good service for Everton since he left the Airdrieonians. The pair were at logger-heads in the second half when the ball was being thrown in and there was an alleged incident which, apparently was not observed by the referee, followed by an alleged retaliatory measures. The referee called up a linesman who had been in a position to see what had occurred, and after consultation with him, did not hesitate to send the two players off . The game had not been a rough one. The unfortunate incident was set off by the triumph of Dean, the greatest centre-forward since G.O. Smith although that great player never used his head to the advantage that Dixie does.

He is a masterpiece in flicking the ball with his head down to his toes for the shot. A contrast, too, was the spirit of camaraderie shown when Dean shook hands with the wonderful Camsell the record scorer of all time with 56 goals, and still without an International cap. By his goal in each half the Everton centre-forward surpassed Freeman's record of 38 goals for the First Division, although it must not be overlooked he netted them when goals were much harder to obtain under the old off-side rule. It is a pleasure to record Irvine's first goal for the first team this season, for he is a player who cannot well be left out of a side although he displeases many by his habit, which he cannot seen to throw off, of over-dribbling. He might have given Critchley more passes, Troup had a great way of cutting into goal for close-up shots and there was power behind Weldon's material while Mathieson, the six-foot Scot was really brilliant at times and repeatedly saved his side. The half-backs were the backbone of the Everton side, with Hart outstanding, and Rooney deputising for Virr, distinctly promising. Camsell in fact, was not allowed to position himself for his customary deadly work in front of goal and little was sten of him. The Everton backs have played better games. Pease scored in the second half for the Borough, who were handicapped by an injury to Pease, who twisted his thigh in the first few minutes of the game. Teams: - Everton: - Taylor, goal, Cresswell (captain) and O'Donnell, backs, Kelly, Hart, and Rooney, half-backs, Critchley, Irvine, Dean, Weldon, and Troup, forwards. Middlesbrough: - Mathieson, goal, Twine, and Smith, backs, Peacock, Ferguson, and Ashman, half-backs, Pease, McClelland, Camsell, Kennedy, and Williams, forwards. Referee Mr. Scholey.

January 7 th 1928. The Daily Courier.
Central league (Game 22)
Everton Reserves were beaten at St Andrews, where Birmingham City Reserves managed to register a goal in each half and were slightly the better side. It was a keen game, however, and there was little between the elevens. Firth scored in the opening half and Woodhouse in the second. Wilkinson aid the Everton attack in place of White, and did fairly well, while Kendrick was good in Wilkinson position. Dominy was always a useful forward . Everton: - Hardy goal, Raitt and R. Curr backs, W. Curr, Griffiths, and Dickie, half-backs, Millington, Easton, Wilkinson, Dominy, and Kendrick, forwards. #

January 9 th 1928. The Liverpool Post and Mercury
Mr. T McIntosh the Everton secretary, on Saturday signed e common, of Blyth Spartans, who is expected to do well in a new realm of football. He is nineteen years of age, 5ft 8ins in height and weights 11 and half stone. He learned his football with new Delaval, and since promotion to the northeastern league with Blyth Spartans has done good work. Everton reserves have no match next Saturday therefore he will not get his first run for a fortnight.

January 13 th 1928. The Liverpool Post and Mercury
Everton have strengthened their forces by securing the transfer from the arsenal of A.L. Kennedy, the left full-back, who participated in the cup final at Wembley last season, against Cardiff City. In theses days of keen competition first division clubs, who wish to keep in the forefront must have good reserves capable of filling vacancies in the senior side, and Kennedy I hope will prove a useful addition to the staff at Goodsion park. The negotiations were competed last evening. The amount of the transfer fee cannot be divulged, but no doubt the Everton club have had to pay heavily for a player who through he has made few appearances in arsenal's first team this season is in his prime. Last season Kennedy play in ten league matches, and previously he was arsenal's regular left back for a couple of years, and he was in his sixth season at Highbury. He joined the London club in 1922-23 and was so successful in his first important game that he was chosen for Ireland against Wales. Along with his club mate Mackie. He also played against England in 1925. Earlier in his career he played for Glentoran and crystal palace. Kennedy has been sought by a number of prominent clubs during the present campaign. He is twenty-five of age stands 5ft 8ins and weights 12 stone. A.L. Kennedy who joined Arsenal from the Crystal palace five or six seasons ago, gained two Irish Internationals caps, playing against England in 1925, and against Wales at Wrexham in 1923.

Bexhill-On-Sea Observer-Saturday 14 January 1928
by "Dixie" Dean (The brilliant centrte-forward of Everton and England)
Everton's winning form this season has caused many experts to point to me as ":the reason for it." I hasten to say at once that no single man ever yet made a team. In fact, it is very seldom that a man alone ever succeeds even in scoring a goal. Ninety-nine goals out of every hundred scored are the direct result of celever teamwork -sound scheming by the inside forwards, or a good run and a well-placed centre by the wing forward, or some strategic backing-up by the half-backs. "Lucky" goals fall to the lot of most footballers. An error by goalkeeper or back places the ball at the feet of a man who has done little to earn the honour. I have had my share of these goals, and I certainly have all I can ask for in the way of backing up. When all is said and done, however, and the luck of the game has been accused of undue egotism if I say that the form is difference to the play of any team. There is a marked shortage of first-class centre forwards at the moment. Why?
Experts have many explanations to offer. For example, it is said that the new off-side rule has changed centre-forward tactics considerably, and that many of the older generation are not able to adapt themselves to the new methods. Again. the speed at which football today is played is pointed out as the reason for the shortage of centre-forwards. many men have the ball control and the shooting skill, but they just lack the natural turn of extra speed that enables the centre forward to take advantage of the opening.
Speed and Success.
Speed undoubtedly has a lot to do with success in the centre-forward position, but not quite in the way that many footballers of the game beleive. Team-builders, I believe, are barking up the wrong tree when they place too much reliance on speed. A man with the gift of speed is an asset in any team - a tremendous asset - but just because a man lacks extraordinary speed there is no reason to condemn him as a failure before he starts. What we need as centre-forwards are men who can play football.
I honestly believe that we are in danger of overlooking this fact. When I say that we need men who can play football, I mean that the first thing a centre-forward has got to realise is that football is a team game. If you take a man who has speed, ball control, and ability to shoot unerringly with head and foot, you have a footballer. if, to these talents, you add the ability to exploit tactical openings with the co-operation of the other players, to keep the line together, and to inspire the others in a crisis, you have a man who can play football. You see the difference? Few centre forwards can do all these things. Certainly not me! But it is the ideal I aim after.
Players Who Inspire
There is no room for criticism of one's team mates in modern football. If the other men are not playing up to the centre-forward as they should, it is more than likely his own fault. If a centre-forward makes a few mistakes when he has a clear opening in front of the goal, the other players can be execused if they begin to lose confidence in him and do not feed him to the extent that they should. Everyone fails sometimes. Very often it is the easiest of shots that fail you, because you are over-confident, and hold the ball too long, or do not take a careful enough aim, or fail to allow for what the goalkeeper can do in a very tight corner if he makes a spuerhuman effort. Undoubtedly every player has moments when he wishes he could kick himself. But if he is obviously trying his hardest every minute of the time, and achieving a certain success, he can rely on the co-operation of his team mates. Another fault that may mar co-operation in a team is any small habit -either on or off the field - that makes a man disliked. The other players have got to be glad to see the centre-forward scoring goals, or otherwise they will not give him the help that they should. The only way to win this co-operation is for the centre-forward to admit frankly just how much credit is due to the others for the part they play in his best and most successful movements. A centre forward must credit his team, and not accept all the praise that is offered to him by enthusiastic supporters who thinl that it is only the head or the boot of the centre-forward that has scored the goal.
Tactical Work.
Men must have confidence in their centreforward. They must feel, in a tight corner, that if only they could get the ball through to him, everything would be all right. And it is up to the centre-forward to earn this confidence. That is why I say that we need footballers —real footballers—in the centre-forward position. There is nothing like a little reciprocity in football as in other things. I mean, a man who expects to receive good passes should be able to give good passes. Inside men are clever schemers, and I am not suggesting that the centre-forward should attempt to do-their work for them. All the same it is much more encouraging to make openings for a centre-forward who takes a lively interest in the tactical proceedings than it is to strain continuously to get the ball through for a centre-forward who is doing little but wait for the ball, and who does not oven recognise a strategic and penetrative position when he sees it. A centre forward must work hard to win his place in a leading team, and keep it. It is nonsense to say that a man in a small team never gets a chance to be seen the men who matter, why try. I suppose that hen 1 was with ranmere Rovers I must have been watched by a dozen managers, until eventually I went to Everton. Goodison Park, the Everton headquarters, is near enough my own birthplace—Birkenhead—to make my present club the ideal one from my point of view.

January 19 th 1928. The Daily Courier.
Everton might easily have won by half a dozen goals in their match at Deepdale against Preston North End. They might also have been three goals in arrears after the first quarter of an hour's. Such was the quick change that came over the game. The conditions were about as bad as bad could be. The drizzling rain in the morning continued without respite all the afternoon. The ground was inches deep in mud and water, and when the player headed the ball he was almost blinded with mud. The North End players commenced like lions, and finished like tame mice. They had hardly a squeak left. The Everton forwards were at fault in their tactics at the start. Their attempts at close passing were fatal on the mud-laden ground with the result that the Preston and backs had no difficulty in keeping them in check.

The Preston forwards swing the ball about more freely and by sheer dash and determination looked like carrying all before them. They were considerably aided in their efforts by the misfortune which befel Everton in O'Donnell having to be carried off the field with a damaged ankle in the first few minutes of the game. For the first quarters of an hour the Preston forwards swept down on the Everton goal time after time, and Cresswell displayed coolness and clever anticipation against forwards who were desperately keen on gaining the confidence of an early goal. True, there were times when he was beaten, and then Taylor came into the picture, keeping out short and long range shots in masterly fashion, and making good his clearances. Everton's first goal after 17 minutes play was distinctly lucky. After Dean had rounded Hamilton, his shot from the right was going wide of the goal when it struck Wade the Preston right full back, as he was running to the goal, and the ball was deflected into the net.

There was no fluke about Everton's second gaol thirteen minutes later. It was a typical Dean goal. Hunter Hart once again being the schemer to push the ball forward for Dean to dash past Hamilton and score with a strong shot. Everton were many superiors in the second half, when O'Donnell pluckily returned to his position, although limping badly. The second half had only been in progress a few minutes when Everton gained their third goal, which was the result of a brainy effort on the part of Irvine. Carr had rushed out to prevent Dean picking up a forward pass from Weldon, and when the ball went to Irvine if he had taken a pot at goal he would probably have struck either Dean or Carr. Instead, he lobbed the ball over the head of Carr into the empty goal. After this Preston had shot their bolt and never looked like scoring while Everton without unduly exerting themselves, might easily have added a number of goals. Carr made a number of saves from dean, and as showing the force of Dean's shooting it was only after a second attempt that Carr could clear Dean's-shots.

Even under conditions, which were, all against scientific play Everton were much the cleverest side. Taylor was sound in goal, and Cresswell was the best back on the field. Hunter Hart was seen at his best, never wasting a pass, and Dean added one more to his many triumphs, and Irvine, at inside-right, was one of the best of the Everton forwards, not holding to the ball too long, which was his great fault, but drawing the opposition off Dean and then placing to Critchley, who was more prominent than Troup as a raider. The chief failing of the Preston forwards was in finishing power. Roberts worked hard, but was over anxious in front of goal. James was not the great schemer he once was. He was completely subdued long before the end of the game, and Hamilton and Russell were disappointing. Crawford was the best of the half-backs, and the Preston full-backs were never more than moderate. Teams: - Preston North End: - Carr, goal, Wade, and Hamilton, backs, Ward, Morris, and Crawford, half-backs, Reid, Russell, Roberts, James, and Harrison, forwards. Everton: - Taylor, goal, Cresswell (captain) and O'Donnell, backs, Kelly, Hart, and Rooney, half-backs, Critchley, Irvine, Dean, Weldon, and Troup, forwards. Referee Mr. A. Josephs.
The Everton players leave Liverpool this morning for another week's stay at the Cleverlys Hydro, near Blackpool.

January 20 th 1928. The Liverpool Post and Mercury
The suspension of Weldon efford Dominy an opportunity of renewing acquaintance with Everton's premier team against Birmingham to-morrow, when he will partner Troup in the left wing, and he should prove a capable substitute. Dominy made 28 appearances in the first eleven last season, and scored twelve goals, while this term, I believe he has been playing fine football with the central league team. Although not so fast as in his Southampton days Dominy is still the craftsman who makes openings for his partners and if he reproduces his last form. Troup and dean are likely to be provided with plenty of opportunities …meanwhile it is officially announced by the football association that a Weldon (Everton) and J. McClelland (Middlesbrough) have been suspended for seven days and one month respectively from yesterday for misconduct in the Everton and Middlesbrough league match at Goodison on January 7 th . Weldon will be available for Everton's cup-tie with the Arsenal to-morrow week at Highbury. But Middlesbrough will not have the assistance of McClelland in their cup-tie at Southport.

January 21 st 1928. The Daily Courier.
Everton ought to be cheered by the fact that Birmingham have won only one game on their own ground in the last three months. And that is not all the unhappy story. Birmingham have scored fewer goals at home (17) than Everton have scored away (26). As a matter of fact, the Brum boys have gained more kudos (in the shape of goals) in away fixtures (21) than they have at St. Andrews. Which is a curious thing. But then the Birmingham side is a curious one of late. At any rate, whatever hopes they have of avenging that 5-2 downfall sustained at Goodison Park on the fourth Saturday of the season might as well be put on the shelf for a year or so.

It was in the first meeting of the sides, you will remember that the St. Andrews's fellows popular skipper Frank Womack, was injured. The Blues, who have temporarily lost the services of Weldon are introducing Dominy, the old Southampton player, at inside left. The kick-off will be at 2,45, and the sides are: - Everton, Taylor, Cresswell, O'Donnell, Kelly, Hart, Rooney, Critchley, Irvine, Dean, Dominy, Troup. Birmingham City: - Tremelling; Womack, Randle, Morrell, Cringan, Leslie, Bond, Crosbie, Bradford, Davies, Ellis.

January 23 RD 1928. The Daily Courier.
Everton were lucky to draw at Birmingham. They gave a frost disappointing display. With a lively ball, and in a high squally wind, the Everton forwards never seemed able to settle down. Birmingham had the lion's share of the attack, and maintained the lead until a minute before the end. In the first few minutes it looked as though Everton were going to have matters easy. They opened with severe pressure, but no goal was forthcoming. The pendulum then swung the other way with a vengeance. Taylor made a number of splendid saves, once from point blank range, and more than once likely shots were charged down by the backs. Birmingham's first gaol came after 23 minutes' play, when Taylor was off the field, having his hand bandaged. O'Donnell who had taken his place, was beaten by a shot from Ellis, who had connected with a centre by Briggs. Ten minutes later Briggs added a second, ending a brilliant dribbling movement with an oblique shot, which gave Taylor no chance.

Everton had more of the play in the second half, but Birmingham continued the most convincing side. Tremelling ought to have saved both of Everton's goals, which were scored by irvine. The first came in the first few minutes of the second half. Tremelling made no attempt to keep out a high dropping shot from 35 yards range, the ball going over the goalkeeper's head. The equaliser was scored in the last minute of the game as the outcome of a scrimmage in the goalmouth. When Irvine headed in the ball struck Tremelling on the shoulder, and was well over the goalline when the goalkeeper recovered and kicked out. The Everton players, rather than having benefited by their week's special training at the Cleveleys Hydro, Blackpool appeared to be slower than usual.

Dean did not show his usual prominence. For one thing he was effectively shadowed by Cringan and for another he was neglected by both the inside men, and did not receive the support he usually receives from Hunter Hart at centre half. Irvine besides scoring both of Everton's goals, was brilliant in his footwork. Dominy fell far short of the standard of Weldon, whose place he took, while Troup, and Critchley on the wings were never more than moderate. Kelly was the best of the half-backs, Hunter Hart having an “off” day, and Rooney was never a match for Briggs and Crosbie. No fault could be found with the Everton full-backs, and Taylor, in goal gave one of his best displays. The Birmingham forwards were desperately keen with Bradford a dashing leader. Morrall and L. Leslie was a fierce tacklers, and the Birmingham backs were sound. Teams: - Birmingham City: - Tremelling, goal, Womack (captain) and Randle, backs, Morrall, Cringan, and Leslie, half-backs, Briggs, Crosbie, Bradford, Davies, and Ellis, forwards. Everton: - Taylor, goal, Cresswell (captain) and O'Donnell, backs, Kelly, Hart, and Rooney, half-backs, Critchley, Irvine, Dean, Dominy, and Troup, forwards. Referee Mr. Price.

January 23 rd 1928. The Daily Courier.
After twice taking the lead, Everton had to be content with sharing the points at Goodison Park. Taking the game throughout the result was quite equitable, the Stoke forwards –well led by Johnson, the ex-Liverpool centre –frequently troubling the new Everton defender Common and Kennedy, however created a good impression on their first appearance. The opening goal followed a corner kick, the ball after hitting the upright, crossing the face of the goal for French to apply the finishing touch. After previously missing the easiest of chances, Eyres headed the equaliser only for French to again place the Blues ahead. Towards the end of the game the home side fell away and Stoke made great efforts to level matters. With but two minutes left, for play Hardy, hampered by several opponents, threw clear, but Eyres pounced on the ball and drove into the net. Everton had a sound half-back line in which Virr stood out prominently. French was a live raider. Everton: - Hardy, goal, Common and Kennedy, backs, Bain, Griffths, and Virr, half-backs, Roscoe, Not-Known, French, Dominy, and Kendrick, forwards.

Dundee Evening Telegraph - Monday 23 January 1928
W. R. (" Dixie ") Dean celebrated his 21st birthday yesterday. He, with other EVerton and Liverpool players, was present at a footballers' " Sunday " service in a Liverpool church, Which Hunter presided, and Albert Virr read the lesson.

January 24 th 1928. The Liverpool Post and Mercury
Dean's nets three goals for England against the Rest in the trial game at West Brom yesterday, before about 12,000 spectators, England winning 5-1.

January 24 th 1928. The Daily Courier.
Mr. W.C. Cuff, chairman of the Everton Football Club, was quietly confident when interviewed. The Everton players are in first class conditions, and spirit and we are looking with a certain amount of confidence to the included in the next draw. We least think we are strong enough to bring the Arsenal team to Goodison Park. Still, the players are not underestimating the severe task, before them. They appreciate the Arsenal are a powerful team, but they do not regard the Arsenal recent victory as retreating any superiority in any department of the team. The Everton players also recall they have some remarkably well away from home, and that if only they can repeat the form shown in some of these away games they will telling their loyal supporters home with them in a happy frame of mind.

Charles Buchan, the Arsenal captain, was reticent. All he would say on his teams chances was “We are looking forward to a good match from beginning to end.” He spent yesterday afternoon with his friend and clubmate, Blythe, playing a round of golf at Hendon. The recent heavy rains have not paturf they ground staff. The ground has fine drying properties, and the turf should be in find condition if the rain falls after midnight. On the whole Arsenal are not worrying unduly, about their encounter with Everton. They are depending on the form shown by their players at Christmas when they defeated Everton 3-2 to carry them into the fifth round.

January 25 th 1928. The Liverpool Post and Mercury.
With the exception that Forshaw has not yet recovered from the injury, which has kept him out of the field for some-weeks, the Everton team will be at full strength for the cup-tie at Highbury against arsenal on Saturday. Virr has fully recovered and he will resume at left-back in place of Rooney, while Weldon is now available, and he will resume his old position in place of Dominy…meanwhile W.R. dean, the Everton centre-forward celebrated his coming of age yesterday: - his birthday was on Sunday-when his parents gave a reception at Blythe hall, Upton road Birkenhead, a number of the Everton team were included among a large party of more than 120 who sat down to dinner. Mr. Shipley sprang a surprise upon the party by presenting dean with an illuminated address. In reply England's centre-forward had little to say in fact his speech was one of the shortest in history, this was it''lets get on with the dinner'' Mr. j Cahill the well known referee also paid a tribute to England's centre-forward.

Dundee Evening Telegraph - Friday 27 January 1928
Dr James C. Baxter, director and one of the founders of Everton F.C., died at Liverpool to-day. He was formerly a member of the Council of the Football Association and one of the pioneers of the professional soccer code.

January 30 th 1928. The Daily Courier.
A more dramatic cup battle than this one at Highbury has not been seen anywhere for many years. Luck was against Everton. A draw would have been more fitting conclusion to a game that had been most evenly and stubbornly contested. Under conditions that were all against accurate play a fast pace was set up and maintained right to the end. Speedy and resourceful forwards were countered by resolute half and full backs, and yet the honours went to both attacks, no fewer than seven goals being scored. Everton ill luck started when they lost the toss and the Arsenal had the advantage of the strong wind in the first half.

Then Dean was unfortunate in the first minute, his well-directed shot striking the crossbar. The first goal after two minutes' play was entirely the work of Troup who, receiving the ball near the line, ran in and beating Parker in his path fire in a great left foot shot which beat Lewis all the way. This early reverse put the Arsenal on their mettle, and they had slightly the best of the struggle all through the first half. The Arsenal equalised after eight minutes' play. A pass from Buchan put Hulme on the run, and from the winger's centre Brain ran on, and though he hesitated at first successful at the second attempt in gathering the ball and slipping it past Taylor. Everton were hard pressed in the closing stages of the first half, and after several narrow escapes the Everton goalkeeper was again beaten by a shot from Hulme. The pendulum sung the other way in the second half, and at one period of the game Everton looked like scoring again and again. Both Troup and Critchley missed chances through inaccurate shooting and Troup was unlucky in striking the foot of the far side post with a splendid shot.

The Everton backs were at fault in allowing Buchan to head through the Arsenal's third goal from a corner kick placed in front of goal by Hoar. Had Buchan been as well watched, as Dean that goal would not have been scored. At length Dean managed to shake off the close attentions of Butler and swering past Parker, he drove the ball into the far corner of the net. Ten minutes from the end Everton were making desperate efforts to equalise, when another breakaway by the Arsenal right-winger settled their chances. O'Donnell failed in his tackle and Hulme went straight for goal. Taylor might have saved his shot, but at the critical moment he seemed to tumble and before he could recover the ball was in the net. Prior to this Dean had a hot shot stopped by Lewis, but right on time Dean again beat the Arsenal backs and scored with a tremendous drive.

Dean was kept very much in subjection until the closing stages. Not only had he Butler in close attention, but one or other of the full-backs were always blocking his progress. Weldon was the best of the Everton forwards, and Irvine put in a lot of useful work Critchley was weak both in shooting and centring. No fault could be found with the Everton half-backs Kelly being the most prominent. O'Donnell and Cresswell were sound full-backs, Cresswell being outstanding in his cool anticipation and well-placed clearance kicks. The Arsenal once again proved themselves a well-balance side, with Buchan still a great schemer and Brain a dashing leader. The Everton players were erupt hands, as a taken of respect to the memory of the late Dr. Baxter, a former chairman of the Everton club. Teams: - Arsenal: - Lewis, goal, Parker and Cope, backs, baker Butler and John half-backs, Hulme, Buchan (captain), Brain, Blyhe, and Hoar, forwards. Everton: - Taylor, goal, Cresswell (captain) and O'Donnell, backs, Kelly, Hart, and Virr, half-backs, Critchley, Irvine, Dean, Weldon, and Troup, forwards. Referee Mr. G. Noel.

January 30 th 1928. The Daily Courier.
West Bromwich Reserves strength
ened their position by defeating Everton at West Bromwich. Edwards and Byers scored for the home side and White for the visitors. The match was played under adverse conditions, rain falling throughout. Hardy played brilliantly in the visitors goal, and White was outstanding in the forward line. Everton: - Hardy, goal, Common and Kennedy, backs, Brown Griffiths, and Bain, half-backs, Roscoe, Easton, White, Houghton and Lewis, forwards










January 1928