Everton Independent Research Data


March 1 1921. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
Chedgzoy represented the North in front of 30,000 spectators at Turf Moor. Chedgzoy hit the top of the bar twice, and in general played much above his London game, even though he wasted some centres. North winning by six goals to one.

March 3 1921. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
Both Everton and Wolverhampton Wanderers will be at full strength in the Football Association Cup-tie at Goodison Park on Saturday. Harrison who has been on the injured list, will reappear in the Everton team, while Gregory, who had his nose broke last Thursday at Coventry, is turning out for the Wolves. Teams: - Everton: - Fern, goal, Downs, and McDonald, Fleetwood, Brewster, Weller, Chedgzoy, Fazackerley, Davies, Crossley, Harrison, Wolvers: - George, Baugh, Marshall, Gregory, Hodnett, Killey, Lea, Burrill, Edmonds, Potts, Brooks. All the tickets for the match have been sold. There is seating accommodation at the north end of Bullens road at 3s (pay at the turnstile), and there is room for 4,000 spectators on the Paddock.

Lancashire Evening Post - Thursday 03 March 1921
Family's Triple Bereavement
The death occured at Birkdale, this morning under the saddest of cirsumstances of George H. Barlow, the well known amateur international left winger who was one of the finest sportsmen who ever wore the North End colours.   Yesterday week the funeral took place of his widowed mother and on Sunday morning his younger brother, Thomas Read Barlow died.  Both died at Southport.  George who attended his mother's funeral was taken ill the following day but he sent a wreath to the funeral of his brother, which took place at Parbold near Wigan, today.  George who like his mother and brother died, we are informed, from septic pneumonia, was about 36 years of age, and his brother Tom about thirty four.  Every follower of the League game in these parts well recall that he learnt his football while at Wigan Grammer School.  It was while playing with the Old Boys' team that he became acquainted with North End whom he assisted as an amateur for several seasons, which were separated by a period of service the Everton club.   Though he only stood about 5ft 6ins, Barlow was a speedy and clever forward at his best, and an exceedingly useful man to North End especially in their Second Division days, and in war-time season 1918-19 was his last at Deepdale and subsequently he assisted the well-known Northern Nomads.  Barlow who was once described as "the pluckiest footballer of his inches that ever came up smiling after rough treatment," had a happy dispersition which made him a favourite with players, officials, and spectators.  He was capped five times for England in 1908 and 1914 v. Holland, in 1909 v. Wales, in 1910 v. Denmark, and in 1914 v. Ireland.  By profession he was an electrical enginner, and worked at the Wigan Corporation Electricity Works.   His death took place at a nursing home at Birkdale.  A married sister presiding at Southport and his brother Edward, who is in Canada are the surviving relatives. 

Yorkshire Post and Leeds Intelligencer - Friday 04 March 1921
The death occured yesterday of George H. Barlow, international amateur outside left, formerly of Everton and Preston North End, who was also a prominent member of the Wigan Cricket club.  His younger brother, Thomas also a leading amateur, was buried yesterday, both being victims of pneumonia.  Their mother, widow of Mr. James Edward Barlow, a well known Wigan solictor, died eleven days ago.

Sunday Post - Sunday 06 March 1921
Everton'e exit ffom the Cup was a tragic one. Their pill was even more bitter to swallow than that of Burnley the previous round, at  their own ground, and with all their stalwarts on view, the to submit to defeat by the lively Wolves. Ten minutes from the start the visitor's centre scored the goal which carried his side into the semi-final. was the only real chance the olves had during the game, but they took it. Everton, on the other hand, had many, but failed to take advantage of them. The work of their forward line was astonishingly bad front of Glorious opportunities came the way of Crossley and Fazackerley, but their shooting was lamentable.  In a desperate attempt to save the situation, Fazackerley and Davies changed places after the interval, but this brought improvement. Everton were not beaten by a better team, but by a side which played the kind football that wins Cup-ties. The Wolves were a live and bustling combination, who kept pegging away the whole ninety minutes. Their thrustful and vigorous halves negatived all the tricky work of the home forwards, who made a big persisting in their pattern-weaving tactics. Baugh and Marshall had more work to do than Downs and M'Donald, but they stood up to it manfully. M'Donald played a sterling game, but Downs was less steady than usual. The visitor's half-back trio compared very favourably with that of the Toffee men. Riley was best for the Wolves, and weller for Everton.  Brewster was not in his best form. The outstanding forward on the field was Brooks. it was that engineered the opening from which Edmonds scored the only goal. He invariably got the better of Fleetwood, and Downs found him a tough handful showed more method in his work than Davies. The only weak man in the Wolverhampton front line was Lea. He gave his side? very little assistance. Ilarrison was the best of the home forwards. He, at least, was free from the dilly-dally business which brought about his side's defeat- Result: —Everton, 0; Wolverhampton, 1. Everton—Fern; Downs and Macdonald; Fleetwood, Brewster, and Weller; Chedgzoy, Fazackerley, Davics, C'rossley, and Harrison. Wolverhampton—George; Baugh and Marshall; Gregory. Hodnett, and Riley; Lea, Burrill. Edmonds, Potts, and Brooks.

March 7, 1921. The Lancashire Evening Post
The funeral took place at Parbold, near Wigan, on Saturday of Mr. G.H. Barlow, the ex-Everton and Preston North End outside left, who died last Thursday, the same day that his brother, Mr. T.R. Barlow, was buried. Their mother died a fortnight ago, and all three were interred in the same grave.

March 7 1921. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
Fa Cup Round Four
The Football Association Competition holds many disappointments and few prizes. It was Everton's lot to participate in the former on Saturday, for they were beaten by Wolverhampton Wanderers in the fourth round at Goodison Park. The result was a surprise for Everton's recent improvement had created an optimistic feeling, but history repeated itself and the Wolves once again justified their Cup-fighting reputation. There could, however, be no denying the fact that Everton did not deserve to win, for, the whole side was much below their usual standard. The full backs frequently overkicked their forwards, and there was very little constructive work by the half-backs, but these defects were not sufficient to account for the weakness of the forwards. They have rarely given such an inglorious display and the finishing work of the inside men was extremely poor. By no methods of reasoning could the Wanderers be called a scientific side, but they were clever enough to force their tactics to the front while Everton were too weak to play their usual game against a side that played sturdy practical Cup-tie football. It was a splendid performance, and the Wanderers deserve praise for their fine win.

Fern could not be held responsible for Everton's defeat. He had much less work to do than George, and the shot that scored would have beaten any custodian. Downs and McDonald were uncertain, especially in the first half. Downs was inclined to underestimate the strength of the Wolverhampton forwards, with the result that he created trouble for himself. In the second half, they tackled more successfully; but kicked wildly and without any consideration for their own forwards. The half-backs were good in defence and Fleetwood played well against the Wanderers best wing, but there was a lack of understanding with the attack. Although the forwards showed individual cleverness, much of it was wasted through hesitancy and want of shooting power. They finessed when a direct shot would have been more profitable. Both Hartrison and Chedgzoy got across some nice centres only to see the inside men easily beaten. It would certainly be no exaggeration to say that Everton's defeat was done to the weakness of the inside-forwards. The attack of the Wolves, was more forceful, and Edmonds in addition to showing clever footwork, distributed the ball to his wings with great accuracy. Potts and Burrill were splendid workers, and although Brooks was well shadowed he occasionally came into the picture with his speed and trickery. The half backs allowed the Everton forwards few opportunities of developing their games. The defence was the best of the visitors' side, with Baugh the outstanding figure. He was rarely beaten, and kicked with fine judgement. George was very safe, and got rid of the ball several times under trying conditions.

The only goal of the game was scored by Edmonds at the end of eleven minutes' play. Brooks sent the ball into the centre and Burill pushed it forward, while Downs advanced to clear, but miskicked. The ball went past his foot, what time Edmonds rounded Downs and without a moment's hesitation sent the ball into the net. George was well tried when he fail to shot by Davies, although he managed to throw the ball away before any damage was done. Fazackerley should have scored when Harrison sent the ball into the centre but the inside man failed to trap it, and the ball bounced against his hand, thus nullifying the chances. Everton's close work was of little avail against the sturdy Wolverhampton defence. When the game was resumed after the interval, the Everton forwards put more vigour into their attack, and George throw the ball away from a fine centre by Harrison. Davies shot wide, following a nice pass by Fazackerley, Davies and Fazackerley changed places, and the altered attack worked well for a time. The Wolves goal experienced a most trying time, and George was almost overwhelmed, but he stuck to the ball, in spite of being surrounded by opponents. At this stage it looked almost any odds on Everton equalising, as there was an improvement all round. Crossley never had a better scoring chance when he got the ball adjacent to the upright and he never made a bigger blunder when he guided the ball a few inches the wrong side of the upright with only George in front. After this the visitors defence rallied finely, and the Everton forwards were easily held. Teams: - Everton:- Fern, goal, Downs (Captain), and McDonald, backs, Fleetwood, Brewster, and Weller half-backs, Chedgzoy, Fazackerley, Davies, Crossley, and Harrison, forwards. Wolverhampton Wanderers: - George, goal, Baugh, and Marshall, backs, Gregory, Hudnatt, and Riley, half-backs, Lea, Burill, Edmonds, Potts, and Brooks, forwards.

March 7, 1921. The Liverpool Daily Post
Everton were heavily beaten at Stalybridge on Saturday by five clear goals. This was by no means a correct reflex of the game in fact, except when it came to scoring, Everton were the more dangerous side. Fare and Salt were somewhat uncertain in defence, and the pick of the side was Jones, who played splendidly. On two occasions he struck the post, also did Clennell. Lonsdale played brilliantly in the Celtic goal, and he alone prevented the visitors from scoring. For the winners Barton and Petrie also performed and accomplished the hat-trick.

March 10, 1921. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
Fern turned the tide of the game at Goodison Park yesterday, when Everton beat Manchester United 2-0 in a postponed League match played before a moderate crowd. Everton had two changes –Grenyer for Weller, and Jones for Chedgzoy. Manchester United started brightly and well. They swung the ball about freely, and accurately, and Harrison, their extreme wingman, was very deadly and his centres were such that it was a surprise that Manchester United went goalless away. The fact was they caught Fern in his best style. Goodwin tried him three times with really smashing drives the first being a stinging one. Yet it was edged up one-handed by Fern and the ball lobbed on to the top of the net. Sapford, it is true was kind towards Fern. He had great chances and failed to use them to advantage. Goodwin was a slow moving but wise-thinking centre forward and his shots were straight and fast. Fern, in spite of injury kept his goal intact, and the affect of his saves was to dishearten the visitors. First, Crossley scored, following a perfect pass by Jones that had been taken by Fazackerley, the ball hitting the upright, and being netted by Crossley. Just before that Manchester United had deserved a penalty kick for a pushing offence, but this was only one of a number of mistakes made by the official's concerned in the control of the game. Davies scored the second goal from a good pass by Fazackerley. Apart from a splendid save by Mew, the goalkeeper was not happy, and possibly the sting of a shot from Davies, which caught him in the pit of the stomach, had something to do with his display. He showed temper against Davies, who charged him fairly, and there was bitterness displayed, so much so that the referee had to caution each man. Manchester showed a lively deposition all through, and Harrison and McDonald also showed spleen which was a pity because Harrison was the best forward on view and the hardest worker too, Everton were not convincing. The inner forwards certainly shot more frequently than on Saturday, but there was a lack of ideas. Fern was the star and Jones showed that he can shoot very hard. Grenyer for Weller was a surprise choice in view of Weller's recent form, but it must be said that Grenyer was very strong against a clever pair. The home half backs crowded to the centre position as if each wanted to take Brewster's place. On the Manchester side there was a steady level of usefulness and a spirited display everywhere save on the left wing. Tom Miller was missed from the attack, which need leadership. Teams : - Everton: - Fern, goal, Downs (Captain), and McDonald, backs Fleetwood, Brewster, and Grenyer, half-backs Jones, Fazackerley, Davies, Crossley, and Harrison, forwards. Manchester United: - Mew, goal, Moore, and Barlow, backs, Hilditch, Grimwood, and Harris, half-backs, Harrison, Partridge, Goodwin, Sapford, and Robinson, forwards.

March 11 1921. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
The Everton team to meet Tottenham Hotspur, at Tottenham tomorrow, will show several changes from the side that beat Manchester United on Wednesday. Weller returns to the half-backs line, while Fazackerley and Davies are being rested, the latter playing for Wales against England on Monday. Jones retains the outside-right position in the absence of Chedgzoy, who is playing for the English League against the Scottish League. Parker returns to centre and Clennell partners. This being his first appearance in the League team this season. The team is Fern, Downs, McDonald, Fleetwood, Brewster, Weller, Jones, Clennell, Parker, Crossley, Harrison.

Derby Daily Telegraph - Saturday 12 March 1921
T. Nuttall who is doing such good service with Southend this season, has been a wanderer in the football career.  He is a native of Manchester, and first made a name with Manchester United before being transfrred to Everton.  From thence he crossed the border and assisted St. Mirren in the Scottish League.  That was in season 1918-19 but he advanced his steps last summer and went South. 

March 14, 1921. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
The visit of the Evertonians to the Metropolis, when they met Tottenham Hotspur at White Hart Lane, proved a rather unprofitable and unsatisfactory one. It might have been anticipated that Tottenham with their all-important English Cup Semi-Final in view, would be inclined to take things somewhat easily. As a matter of fact it was just the reverse. They set a staggering pace at the outset, and it was only in the second period, when they had crossed over with a lead of two clear goals that they relaxed their strenuous of play. Everton, it is true, were without the service of the customary right wing pair, Chedgzoy and Fazackerley, but this had little bearing upon the ultimate issue, especially when it is considered that Tottenham did not play experts as Clay, Smith, and Cantrell. The main weakness of the visitors lay in the forwards, who were given plenty of opportunities to score. They finished for the most part very badly, and it was only in the later stages of the game that they came into their stride and looked like scoring.

There was a crowd of 35,000 people present when play began in fine if dull weather, and it was early obvious that the Spurs were in provocative and determined mood. They attacked with great persistence, and after ten minutes give Archibald the right half-back getting the ball, from Seed, scored with a fifteen yards shot, which gave Baker no chance. Further pressure followed and after rather less than twenty minutes play the home side achieved a second success. The movement was initiated by Wilson, who fell when close in, and Seed dashed up and netted at short range. In the second period, as has been intimated the play of the Evertonians improved appreciably, and they gave occasional glimpses of their real powers of short passing and combination. But it was all to no purpose. The Spurs kept their commanding lead with confidence and, though the left wing pair were clever and resourceful, the Everton forwards failed to make up any of the leeway. The attack indeed, was disappointing and rarely dangerous. Parker missed many fine chances offered to him by both Harrison and Clennell. Jones showed his speed, and once experience “hard-lines” in not scoring with a shot near the corner flag. Fleetwood was the best of the half-backs, and both Downs and McDonald did a great amount of hard work, though there was apparent hesitancy at times. Howard Baker once more demonstrated his qualities as a keeper, and he was heartily cheered for several brilliant saves. The Tottenham forwards were fast and exceptionally tricky, while Walters at centre half played a great game. The two last lines of defence were commendably steady, and shared in the honours of the victory. Teams : - Tottenham Hotspur: - Hunter, goal, Foster, and McDonald, backs, Archibald, Walters, and Grimsdell, half-backs, Banks, Seed, Wilson, Bliss, and Dimmick, forwards. Everton: - H. Baker, Downs (Captain), and McDonald, backs, Fleetwood, Brewster, and Weller half-backs, Jones, Clennell, Parker, Crossley, and Harrison, forwards. Referee Mr. G.N. Watson.

March 14 1921. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
Before 5,000 onlookers, Everton gave a trial to a new player named Gray, at outside right, who was compelled to leave the field after thirty minutes' play through a collision with Taylor, and did not return. His play had been most promising, and through his good work, Moffatt opened the scoring. Richardson equalised ten minutes later, and just on the interval gave Burnley the lead. In the second half, although playing a man short, Everton had their share of the game, but Warren placed Burnley further ahead. Alford missed from a penalty kick for Everton. Peacock then reduced the lead, and five minutes from time the same player equalised from twenty yards range with a great shot, the game ending in a draw of three goals each. Everton: - Salt, goal, Fare, and Thompson, backs, Brown, Garrett, and Peacock, half-backs, Gray, Wall, Moffatt, Reid, and Alford, forwards.

March 15, 1921. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
AT Cardiff yesterday, 12,000 people. Davis missed a clever opening when a pass from the right came across an open goal, the Everton player missing the ball. Chedgzoy was a more vigorous them artistic player, and he used his weight to advantage. He gave Ferguson a lot of anxiety with his long raking centres. The game finished in a no score draw.

Burnley News - Wednesday 16 March 1921
After having a lead of three goals to one, Burnley Res had to return from Goodison Park with only a point.  One influence upon the game was the attitude of the spectators towards the referee, many of whose decisions upset thwe Burnley men.  Hastie appeared at centre-half instead of Brophy, and Everton gave a trial to Gray at outside right in place of Jones.  Playing against the wind, Burnley showed up well, but ten minutes from the start Moffatt beat Moorwood.  Following this reverse, the Tuf Moor men were very dangerous, Lane and Richardson testing the home custodian with good shots.  Richardson failed to equalise when he had the goal at his mercury, but made amends shortly afterwards by giving Salt no chance.  This goal was strongly disputed by the home players but the referee adhered to his decision.  Close on the interval Richardson gave the Burnley the lead.  Everton resumed with only ten men, and Burnley had matters much their own way.  They netted the ball, but the referee disallowed the point after consulting the linesmen.  Warner scored the third point.  During a period of pressure a penalty was given against Hastie, but Alford, who took the kick failed to beat Moorwood who did well to get the ball away.  A minute later Peacock reduced the lead after a scramble and the same player equalized matters with a long drive.  The teams were;- Everton Reserves ; Salt; Fare and Thompson; Brown, Garrett, and Peacock; Gray, Wall, Moffatt, Reed and Moffatt; Burnley Reserves;
Moorwood; McGrory, and Taylor; Woodward, Hastie, and Morgan; Douglas, Warner, Richardson, Lane, and Mosscrop.  Referee; Mr. J.W Whitehead. 

March 17, 1921. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
Old followers of the Everton club, will recall the play of Charlie Parry, who first as a forward and later as a full back, rendered splendid service at Goodison Park. The Everton directors have sanctioned a visit of their “A” team to play a match Oswestry Town on April 11 th for the benefit of Parry, who assisted Everton for nine years. This season he has acted as caretaker and groundsman to the Oswestry Town Football Club.

March 21 1921. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.
There was no indication upto the interval that Everton Reserves would be as swamped by Burnley Reserves at Turf Moor, but the home side won easily by seven goals to one, and might have had a larger margin. Everton upto the change of ends were the better balanced and more convincing side, but clever work was thrown away in front of goal by fault finishing and two much finessing. Further against Dave Taylor, who played centre half, the inside man were of a disadvantage. The Birkenhead youth Weaver, who had been dropped from the first team, played a prominent part in the visitors defeat, his sprinted raids always being dangerous, and he scored two goals. The Everton half-backs and defences were over-worked in the second half and Richards (2), Lare (2), and Lindsay added the other goals. Jones got Everton's solitary goal, before the interval when the score were level. The heavy ground was responsible for several minor sprains, which some players sustained, and Alford left the field half an hour before the end.

Dundee Evening Telegraph - Wednesday 23 March 1921
Ernie Gray, Muggiemoss outside right played a trial for Everton reserves last week, but was unfortunate to meet with an injury early in the game.  if Gray can reproduce club form he is certain to be made an offer. 

March 26, 1921. The Liverpool Courier.
Everton were beaten by four goals to two at Bolton Yesterday. Their defence was under pressure for the greater part of the game, and even when they scored Bolton rubbed off the goal inside 30 seconds. The tragic period for Everton, however, was the last two minutes of the first half. Bolton were attacking fiercely, and a glorious dribble by Jack enabled Roberts to score Fern turning the ball into the net just on time. Jack was going through on his own, but McDonald brought him down, Smith converting the Penalty kick on the second attempt. It was doubtful whether the gaol had counted, but the referee informed the press that time did not expire until after the second shot, thus Everton were three goals in arrears at the interval. Straight from the restart Vizard went away, Smith scoring the fourth from a pass. Davies scored Everton's second with a raw neat drive from Chedgzoy's pass. Over forty thousand people witnessed an excellent match for Joe Smith's second benefit, but except for Everton's left wing triangle, the Blues added little to their reputation. The best Everton forward was Crossley, who passed finely to Harrison made positions, and shot well. The game had not been going two minutes before Crossley had hit the bar with a wonderful shot, and Hinton had beaten. Harrison responded well, and Peacock was an excellent half behind them. The right wing was very disappointing, and Davies only shone but occasional dashes. Fleetwood was strong, but the Everton defence was not too sure, for Bolton had three goals disallowed in addition to those scored, and Downs was beaten too often by Vizard's speed, though both his and McDonald's kicking was sound. Everton were beaten by speed and craftsmanship. The star of the Bolton attack was Jack, and their defensive changes worked out quite effectively on the whole. Teams : - Bolton Wanderers: - Hinton, goal, Baverstock, and Hodson, backs, Longsworth, Seddom, and Buchan, half-backs, Jack, Roberts, Walsh, Smith, and Vizard, forwards. Everton: - Fern, goal, Downs (Captain), and McDonald, backs, Brown, Fleetwood, and Peacock, half-backs, Chedgzoy, Fazackerley, Davies, Crossley, and Harrison, forwards.

March 26, 1921. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
At Goodison Park, in miserable weather, before 4,000 spectators, straight from the kick off Everton forced the pace and monopolised the play. Moffatt scored after twenty-five minutes' and Wall added a second goal after dribbling though the defence. Near the interval Moffatt got the third, Everton played Young, late of Orwell Wednesday at inside left, and he gave a very promising display, and lead a share in each of the goals scored. At half time Everton led by three goals to nil. The second half Bolton made only three good attempts Salt making saves from Brown, Keetley and Nuttall. Play still favoured the Blues and Weller scored a fourth goal with a drive from forty yards range.

March 28 1921. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
In beating Oldham Athletic at Goodison Park, on Saturday, by 5 goals to 2. Everton recorded their biggest success of the season. The game was a good one if it lacked exciting incidents and Everton by reason of their greater confidence were certainly the better side. Oldham could well have done with the points in view of their lowly League position, and they strove hard, but nothing went right for them. On the other hand, the Everton forwards were clever enough to direct their shots out of the reach of Matthews, and he had no chance of saving those that scored. Yet he was not overworked. In the absence of Downs, who missed his first game McDonald crossed to the right back position and let in Weller. Both played a sound game, and the efforts of the Oldham forwards were so deficient in ideas, that McDonald and Weller were rarely in difficulties. Brewster was a great power in the intermediate line, and was well supported by both Fleetwood and Peacock. Chedgzoy was in happy mood, and his telling runs and centres made him a live force. Davies gave an improved display, but he was very erratic with many of his finishing strokes. Crossley was a deadly shooter, and paired well with Harrison. There were few successes on the Oldham side. Wilson, however, put plenty of action into his work, and he made many praiseworthy attempts to get the forwards morning in businesslike fashion. Freeman, too, gave a good account of himself, for he kicked at nice length, and tackled cleverly.

Everton's first goal came at the end of six minutes' play. Chedgzoy worked well, into the goal area and placed the ball nicely to Davies, Matthews was unable to reach the ball as it came from the head of Davies and only pushed it further over the line with his foot. The second goal fell to Crossley at twenty-three minutes, and it was a fine fast drive that Matthews fell for, but failed to touch. After Davies had hit the netting with a tremendous shot, McDonald kicked out a beauty from Wilson. Then Wilson gave a corner and Reid scored a third goal at thirty-seven minutes and when Butler was brought down in the penalty area (after Brewster grassed him-Liverpool Football). Oldham had a splendid chance of reducing the score against them, but Butler taking the Penalty kick , shot wide of the gaol. In the first minute of the second half, Crossley headed a fourth goal from a fine centre by Brewster. Chedgzoy overdribbled and shot very wide, while a terrific shot by Davies from a free kick struck the crossbar. Then came a series of determined efforts by the Oldham forwards. Fern took the risk of clearing with his foot, but at seventy-eight minutes Butler got through for Oldham, Gee making sure by sending the ball further into the net. Campbell almost surprised Fern, and McDonald, and just before the end Chedgzoy scored for Everton and Campbell for Oldham. Teams: - Everton: - Fern, goal, McDonald, and Weller, backs, Fleetwood (Captain), Brewster, and Peacock, half-backs, Chedgzoy, Reid, Davies, Crossley, and Harrison, forwards. Oldham Athletic: - Matthews, goal, Chorlton, and Freeman, backs, Pilkington, Wilson, and Jones half-backs, Edge, Gee, Butler, Campbell, and Wall, forwards. Attendance 30,000

March 27, 1921. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
For the match, at Deepdale, Preston North End Reserves reshuffled the attack, Knight who took part in the cup semi-final, appearing on the right wing, and Hosker led the attack with Marquis at inside-right. The home side also gave a trial to Heaney, an Irish amateur international, who figured at centre-half. Everton made no less than six changes from the previous day, owing to injuries. The play was almost entirely in North End's favour and the score 2-0 in favour of the home side, should have been increased. The Everton shooting when a chance did come along was bad, but that of the North Enders, considering their many opportunities was worse. Marquis scored just on the interval from a corner kick, and early in the second half Dawson got the second goal.

March 29, 1921. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
Marine minus three of their regular players lost to Everton “A” by 5 goals to 2. The visitors' combination delighted a large attendance. Young at inside left performed the hat trick and was an outstanding figure in the forward line. Horner and Day scored for Marine prior to the interval, and although the Crosby side played well in the second half, Barton scored twice for Everton. Thompson made several smart clearances in the Marine goal.

March 30 1921. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
The city's enthusiasts have had opportunity to see two of the best left wings in the land during the holidays. At Anfield, Bliss and Dimmock were on view with the ‘Spurs. Yesterday a crowd of 30,000 saw and enjoyed Bolton's pair, Smith and Vizard, who, while perhaps not so dominating as the ‘Spurs pair, have certainly a more dainty way with them. Vizard is still a great artist, and Smith, apart from international games does not forget to use his left drive, while his right foot also propel a ball with enormous power and precision. Each of these men scored at Everton in a highly enjoyable game, and the goals were as district as one could wish to see. First came Vizard's it was a gem of a dribble, the ball being hugged and cajoled this way and that. Still at last fern was to be mastered, Fern had advanced fully five yards and some thought he might have gone even further ahead. At the crucial moment Vizard placed the ball wide of Fern's left hand. The pace of the “shot” was a mere nothing, and the crowd looked on while the ball truckled into the goal just, but it sufficed. It was the way to score. Previously a gross blunder by McDonald had let in Roberts, who shot ferociously, and Fern made a grand save. But Fern should have been placed out of touch with the ball by a place shot instead of a wild drive. Smith scored with a right foot drive of rare power, and when Reid headed in a centre by Harrison, the game opened out afresh, although Bolton were quite top dog in spite of the brilliant way Everton started the first twenty minutes, in which time Crossley, Harrison, and Peacock did many very clever things, notably the half-back who was in a forward mood. However, Roberts scored with a long riking shot, and although Everton pegged away and Downs made a long run that led to Crossley scoring, the issue was always in safe keeping and the very attractive Bolton side won deservedly. Mr. Cheetham had no trouble top control the players yet he made many curious decisions, and did not improve when matters happening under his eyes were left to a linesman to settle. The winners were a good all-round side, with a fine dazzling set of forwards, who were not afraid to shoot –in the opening half Fern saved two beauties from Vizard. However there was more than one case of faltering on the part of the Everton backs. Downs who was injured and stunned, being enable to keep time with the left wing, and Jack at outside right making much work for McDonald, whose heavy punting was his forts. Brewster was the soundest of the home half-backs, and the forwards patered out. Davies offering a fair number of takeable passes and getting few that he could take without getting the ball under weigh. He seems to lack confidence through failure to score. Harrison was the star raider, with Chedgzoy running him close. Teams : - Everton: - Fern, goal, Downs (Captain), and McDonald, backs, Fleetwood, Brewster, and Peacock, half-backs, Chedgzoy, Reid, Davies, Crossley, and Harrison, forwards. Bolton Wanderers: - Hunter, goal, Baverstock, and Hudson, backs, Longsworth, Seddon, and Buchan, half-backs, Jack Roberts, Davison, Smith, and Vizard, forwards . Attendance 30,000

March 30, 1921. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
At Burnden Park, yesterday a crowd of about 6,000 spectators saw Everton Reserves beaten by Bolton Wanderers by four goals to nil. Everton opened in clever fashion, Jones putting in some dazzling runs on the right, but once the Wanderers had settled down, the Everton defence could not cope with their dash, and before the interval Keetley gave them the lead. Through the second half Wanderers were the more impressive force, being especially keen in front of goal, Keetley added a second, Lowder a third, and Keetley their fourth. For Everton who's finish was poor, Jones and Salt played brilliantly, but the Wanderers stamina stood them well, and in the end they won easily. Everton: - Salt, goal, Stroud, and Robinson, backs, Williams, Garrett, and Barlow, half-backs, Jones Wall, Moffatt, Young, and Smith, forwards.

March 1921