Everton Independent Research Data


May 1930 and close season


May 1, 1930. The Liverpool Post and Mercury

For the last and most vital match of the campaign against Sunderland at Goodison Park on Saturday, Everton have decided on the team which gained full points at Huddersfield

Everton “A” 5 Ellesmere Port 0

County Combination.

At Goodison Park. The scorers were Walton (3), Webster, and Hanson. But for a capital defence, in which Byron and L. Davies were conspicuous, the score would have been greater. Webster and Walton were prominent Everton forwards, while of the half-backs Chedgzoy stood out.



May 2 nd 1930. The Liverpool Post and Mercury

Anonymous note to Sunderland.

“Everton would rather go into Fourth Division.

Mr. W.C. Cuff, the chairman of the Everton Football Club, characterized as “outrageous” a suggestion of an anonymous letter writer that the vital match between Everton and Sunderland tomorrow, at Goodison Park, had been “squared.”

It is an outrageous suggestion.” Said Mr. Cuff, when he attention was called to the message. “Rather than countenance such an affair as suggested, we would go into the fourth division. But these anonymous letters are not exactly new. Every club that we have met in the last eight weeks has received something similar, and it is plain the anonymous man has a diseased mind.”

Players informed.

The incident created a great surprise in football circles, yesterday,, it appears that as a result of an anonymous letter received from the Liverpool district, the Sunderland F.C. directors called to a conference the players selected to appear against Everton. The letter alleged that the writer was in a position to say that efforts had been made so square the game, and that he had been asked to lay bets on Friday evening on Everton winning by two clear goals. The Sunderland management informed the players that while they did not believe for one moment that any such arrangement had been arrived at between them and any other party, it was their duty to inform the players of the seriousness of the position if such did take place.

Sunderland's duty to win.

While the Sunderland club sympathized very much with such clubs like Everton faced by relegation, they had an honorable duty to perform to the rest of the clubs in the Football League, and the duty of the Sunderland players lay in winning the match, if it was at all possible for them to do so.

Tomorrow five clubs will be fighting against relegation, and there are possibilities of the issue being decided on goal average. To have a chance at all Everton must beat Sunderland. The selected team is –Robinson, Murray, Shaw; Clunas, McDougall, Andrews; Eden, Urwin, Gurney, Gallagher, and Lawley. This shows two changes from the team beaten at home on Wednesday night, and with one exception is the same eleven that beat Liverpool by six goals to nil.



May 3, 1930. The Liverpool Post and Mercury

By John Peels

The vital concern on Merseyside centres, round the question, can Everton escape? The victory at Huddersfield in mid-week gives them a slight chance. They have driven it very late and now the tragic consequences of those eight home defeats are very evident. Still, the players will make a great effort today, to win, maximum points being essential in the game with Sunderland if they are to stand a chance when the figures are balanced tonight. A victory would mean a total of 35 points. If their varlous companions in distress also win, of course a success in the last game would be of no avail. The position at the foot of the field are;-

P W L D F A Points

Middlesbrough 41 15 20 6 79 83 36

Grimsby Town 41 14 20 7 72 89 35

Newcastle U 41 14 20 7 70 92 25

Sheffield Utd 41 14 21 6 86 93 34

Burnley 41 13 30 8 73 76 34

Everton 41 11 19 11 76 91 33

There are various possibilities, and goal average may be deciding factor, so that there is likely to be a job for the accountants. Grimsby Town are due to tackle Huddersfield at the latter's ground, and the cup finalists ought to be fresher than on Monday. Still Grimsby will make s greater fight. Sheffield United may not be able to beat Manchester United at Old Trafford. Burnley play their last match at home against Derby county, and though the County will be all out to increase their points I fancy Burnley will prevail.



May 5, 1930. The Liverpool Post and Mercury

The rigour of the football league competition is such that no club, no matter how rich in finance and in tradition is free from the penalties of failure, and so Everton the aristocrats of the football world as it were, suffer the penalty of relegation from the first division, which they have adorned uninterruptedly from the foundation of the league in 1888. The final rally in the last five matches, termination with a 4-1 victory over Sunderland proved unavaility. Thus after forty-two years, during which Everton alone of the original twelve clubs kept their heads up, they have to how eventually to fate. Aston villa and Blackburn rovers had been voted in on the extension of the league on a previous occasion and, these clubs are now the only survivors of the originals. Who have not had to undergo the fire of second division football. Five clubs were concerned in the last day struggle, and it was extraordinary that all five should win their matches, the most surprising success being those of Grimsby at Huddersfield and Sheffield United at Old Trafford,, the latter club's victory by 5-1 contributing to their escape on goal average. Grimsby Town at one time seemed certain to go down, but their final rally beginning at Everton, where they won 4-2, was one of the best in the history of the club. It was the defeat at Goodison park at the hands of the Fishermen which really sealed the fate of Everton. The senior clubs' loss will be the Second Division clubs' gain, and there will be no more attractive sides in the lower house next season than Everton and Burnley. From that point of view the other Second Division clubs will reap a benefit.

The loss of prestige at Everton will not retard the attendance's at Goodison Park, which are likely to be up to the usual high standard and the club can despend on an enthusiastic following in their effort to regain, at the first attempt if possible, their high status. If they can emulate Liverpool in this respect, then Everton's lapse will soon be forgotten.



May 5, 1930. The Liverpool Post and Mercury

Victory that was too late.

Everton's bid fails to save club

By “Stork.”

Everton's bid to avoid relegation came all too late and they finish as Wooden Spoonists. Everton's record in the First Division cannot be surpassed, for they have had an uninterrupted spell in the senior circle without having to play a Test match, or without an extension of the League, which has saved other teams. they have always tried to play the best type of football. One had only to travel with the team to see what the name of Everton meant. The man who watched football for football's sake, apart from the scoring of goals, would not miss the visit of Everton.


It is considered nowadays a tremendous task to get out of the Second Division , and while it has taken Chelsea many years,, there is the case of Liverpool and later Middlesbrough, getting out after one season. I confidently anticipate an early return to their rightful position.

Two seasons ago Everton were champions. Today they have slipped off their pedestal, but it is only a truth to say that many of the points they forfeited were by the narrowest margin, and very often against the run of the play. In the last few weeks the same side had been upon to do duty and has captured nine points out of ten. Against Sunderland they won handsomely and well, and this despite the heavy responsibility imposed upon the players. Although Sunderland opened up well they gradually faded out, and Everton gained in strength and went on to obtain an easy victory. Sunderland had a heavy week's programme and long before the final whistle they had slackened in pace. Everton's play was not entirely satisfactory, but they could do no more than win.


One of the biggest crowds of the season followed every incident closely, and frantic cheering marked the play. Johnson gave Everton the lead, and Clunas equalised but after White's second goal, Everton were never in danger of defeat, for although Sunderland played classical football at times, there was no force in front of goal. Gurley as never the force he was at Anfield, for he was not allowed to be so Giffiths as the occasion demanded changed, his tactics and remained in defence, leaving the business of attack to his wing halves and forwards, and Gurney will testify to Griffiths's success in the matter of defence. The Everton inside men were inclined to overcrowd White who, however, was able to score three goals –a hat-trick –and Johnson might easily are had more than the one goal he obtained if White had been able to get out of the way of a shot that was going for the net. Critchley has given of his best in recent weeks, and his success is in no small measure due to the prompting of Martin and McPherson. The latter player and Thompson did well, Cresswell, after making an unsteady start afterwards settled down to a confident game, while O'Donnell was particularly sure in his overhead hooks. Coggins had to make one clever save from the outside right, but neither of the Sunderland wing men were up to their usual form, and the half-backs after a fine start, became a defensive force.

“Soon back again.”

I had an interview with Mr. W. C. Cuff, the chairman of the Everton Club, and although he was affected by the turn of events he said “We have put up a good fight. Fate has been against us. But we accept the position with good heart, and feel certain that if the players show the same determination and spirit that has permeated the team in the last few weeks we will soon be back in the First Division –our rightful place.” Teams;- Everton;- Coggins goal; Cresswell and O'Donnell (captain), backs; McPherson, Griffiths, and Thomson, half-backs; Critchley, Martin, White Johnson, and Rigby, forwards. Sunderland;- Robinson, goal; Murray and Shaw, backs; Clunas, Allan, and Andrews, half-backs; Eden, Urwin, Gurney, Gallacher, and Lawley forwards .



MAY 5 TH 1930. The Liverpool Post and Mercury

Central League (Game 42)

At Bolton. But for the strong defence of Sagar Kennedy, and Common the score would have been heavier. McClure was an outstanding half and Stein the most effective forward. Jones scored for the Wanderers. Everton;- Sagar goal; Common and Kennedy backs; Robson, McClure and Bryan, half-backs; Parker, Wilkinson, French, McCambridge, and Stein, forwards.



MAY 5 1930. The Liverpool Post and Mercury

How they took the news at Everton

The game had been over a few minutes and the teams had left the field. But there was no movement among the crowd. They waited, their eyes fixed upon the telegraph on which the other first division scores are hung. Then a man came out on to the roof and waved his hands once, downwards, like a motorist signalling a pursuing car to reduce speed. Except that in this instance the pursuers would not be checked. But still the crowd waited. Perhaps this was a leg pull. They would see the scores. …..No it won't a leg-pull. Not all the kings horses and all the king's men could put Everton up again. Subdued, their expressions resigned to sorrow, the crowd moved away. But there was consolations to this day of disappointment. It was a fighting finish, and the victories of Newcastle and Sheffield saved hundreds of Evertonians from acute brainstorms. For if Newcastle had beat the Sheffield and Burnley –or one of them –only drawn, then relegation would have been decided by decimal points and the unique and splendid sight seen of 50,000 spectators doing simultaneous sums on their programmes. As it was one earnest man did try to work out the probabilities before the match. A few moments later two ambulance men came across the pitch with a stretcher. Fortunately for the other 49,999, the club needed no arithmetical diviaiod to got them into the second division on the second anniversary of the game against Arsenal, which gave them the championship.

Season's biggest gate.

It was the season's biggest gate. In the stands of crowd, had their faces been green instead of pink would have looked like rows of vines on a Rhenish hillside. The throng in the paddock did look like a tumbled heap of pink pebbles. But very excited pebbles. When one of them yelled out to McPherson, who was many yards out of earshot, “shake yourself Mac” his neighbour whipped round as if he was going to do murder, and thundered “Leave Mac alone. He's all right.” But his anger was quite impersonal for a minute later the two were in enthusiastic agreement that Coggins was playing wonderful game in goal. And when Johnson scored they looked ready to kiss each other. One wondered how they would hold up to the end of the match, possessed as they were by so many difficult moods in as many minutes. Joy rare despair, arrogance, fear, hope-all these were chasing each other through them at the highest speed. Surely they would drop from nervous exhaustion. Not they; they were at fresh as ever when the game ended, and one said he was coming back at night for the boys finals. And yet some see signs decadence in football spectating.

Best in the second.

The news that Sheffield we safe went up on the telegraph a few minutes before time, and after that the excitement seemed to lose a little of its ardour. People became critical. “E'asn't got the appearance of an atherlete,” and somebody about one of the Everton forwards. “No” agreed a perfect stranger, “E looks tar me as if E's muscle bound.” And when the last whistle blew the crowd stood very quietly as though they knew the truth but feared to acknowledge it. “Ah well” said an optimist when he reached the street “ they've got the best stand in the second division.”


Football last kick

May 12, 1930. The Liverpool Post and Mercury

Liverpool 1 Everton 0

Liverpool cup victory

Everton's ill-luck continues to the end.

By “Bee.”

Everton went out of their 1929-30 season in characteristic fashion –their misforunates continued to the last gasp of the over-plus season. They lost the Liverpool Cup final at Anfield by a goal to none, and Critchley was off the field for most of the second half through injury.

Riley was, however, their greatest barrier; he made some telling saves against Dean, Martin, and others, and held up the Liverpool defence while the home side was being severely tested. Riley's reach stood him in good stead, and after Critchley had tried his leg in the second half for a couple of minutes he retired, and thereafter, in spite of a brave show by Everton, Liverpool drove in some good shots, Sagar being a competent goalkeeper. Wright beat him at three-quarter time, however, and this was the only goal of the day. It was a capital game, and Liverpool rounded off some of their smart passing on the left wing with full drives, but Wright was not on the mark, and was chiefly notable for his scheming. This was a point upon which Martin earned praise –he was tireless in the second half when wheeling round opponents, and another feature was the way the local centre half-back James stood to attention against Dean, who was playing for the first time for some weeks, and was captain of the side. Dean's heading was better than at any previous point of this season, and one shot he made brought out the full strength of Riley's masterly. Everton went away without a goal, and this was the first time they had failed to score in the last ten games.

Both sides brought into the game a number of their minor men, and James was the one outstanding success, though Charlton did well at full back and Thompson was useful at half-back. The home right wing pair did not dovetail with good result, and could not be compared with Gunson and Wright. Smith, who received knock, misfired too frequently, while Stein had the chances to win the game early on. White showed his versatility by going to outside right in the second half. He a strong player and has a number of tricks to recommend him. It is football craft all the time with him.

The spectators to the number of about 8,000 stayed on after the game to see the representation of the cup. This act was performed in the dressing room below by Mr. J.H.Hayes M.P., and the crowds were rather petulant that they had not been permitted to see the trophy or the representation. The police had a little difficulty in dealing with them and they stayed on needlessly for some time, refusing to take the advice of Superintendent Hughes that there would not be a public presentation. Teams; - Liverpool; - Riley, goal; Done and Charlton, backs; Morrison, James, and Thompson, half-backs; Barton, Race, Smith, Wright, and Gunson, forwards. Everton; - Sagar, goal; Common and O'Donnell, backs; Robson, McClure, and Byran, half-backs; Critchley, White Dean (captain), Martin, and Stein, forwards. Referee Mr. J. Ainsworth.



May 27 th 1930. The Liverpool Post and Mercury

By John Peel

When Everton make a start in Second Division football, I understand their first match will be against Plymouth Aryle at Plymouth. It will be a case of relegated and promoted clubs meeting.

The first of the Everton close season transfers is announced. The Goodison club placed a number of players on the first to make a move is Kennedy, the full back, who has been transferred to Tranmere Rovers. I understand Kennedy will captain the Rovers next season. He was formally with the Arsenal, and is an Irish international. He is a fine type of player, and I am sure will be an acquisition to the Third Division Club.

Dunn to Hearts?

A Scottish correspondent tells me that the Hearts of Midlothian club has been trying to secure the transfer of Dunn, the Scottish international inside-right, who is on the Goodison club's list. Everton are said to have paid the Hibernians £4,000 for Dunn, and now went £1,600 for his transfer a considerable reduction on the fee asked for him earlier on. The Hearts according to my informant want him for £1,000 . I also hear that the fees asked for the transfer of Davies the goalkeeper, and Weldon, forward have been reduced to £1,000 and £1500 respectively. Everton had Davies on the list at one time at £2,000, which seemed a stiff fee for a player whom they secured for nothing.



MAY 29 1930. The Liverpool Post and Mercury

Attwood to Bristol Rovers

The Everton Football club directors have transferred two players this week. On Monday Kennedy, an Irish international full-back, was transferred to Tranmere Rovers, and last night Bristol Rovers signed on Attwood, a centre forward. Attwood was secured by Everton from Walsall in the closing stages of the 1928-29 season, but he made few appearances in the Goodison first team. In the central League side, however, Attwood proved himself a useful leader and a good scorer. Last season he scored sixteen goals in the reserve team. A well built player he stands 5ft 9 and half ins, and weighs 11 st 6lbs. It was said at the time that Everton paid about £1,500 for his transfer. The fee paid by Bristiol Rovers' has not been disclosed, but Attwood was said to be on the Goodison transfer list at £750. Everton have still a number of players on offer, and a I stated recently the Goodison Club has considerably reduced the fees asked for Dunn, Weldon, and Davies, when the season ended.



June 2, 1930. The Liverpool Post and Mercury

Davies Kelly off Everton had their fees reduced by Everton, Kelly granted a free transfer.



June 3, 1930. The Liverpool Post and Mercury

The report of the Everton football club issued to-day, shows a loss of £12,560 on the years working compared with a profit of £9,406 11s 4d for the previous year. The income from gates receipts and proceeds of matches played away amounted to £51,456 12s 1d while players wages and transfer fees cost £35,574 compared with £12, 872 10s in the previous season. Incometotally £52,531 and expenditure £65,097.

The annual general meeting of the shareholders will be held on Friday June 13 TH at 7.30pm in the central hall Renshaw street. The directors recommend the payment of the dividend at the rate of 7 and half per cent. The retiring directors are Messrs, A Coffey, WC Cuff, and J Sharp, and they often themselves for re-election. Nominations have also been received on behalf of Messrs, Fred W Lake of 18 Kimberley-drive great Crosby, and Charles Wright of 73 Eton street Liverpool. The chief account are appended.


Income and expenditure for year ending 3 RD may 1930


May 1929 May 1930


1929 12.872 10s 0d to players wages and transfer fees £35579s od


£1,170 10s 6 players benefits £1,225 0s od

£0, 341 ss 9d medical fees players accident insurance's etc £0,589 5s 1d

£5,522 6s 6d gate division to visitors £5,496 3s 8d

£3,385 10s 8d travelling expanses £3,395 0s 11d

£0,382 10s 6d advertising billboards, printing and stationary £0,321,0s 0d

£1,437 18s 0d gate expenses checks etc £1,360 6s 10d

£0,930 19s 1d training expenses trainers wages £1,249 2s 10d

£2,720 14s 11d ground expenses and groundmans wages £2,264 6s 3d

£0, 146 5s 4d national heath and unemployment insurance's £0,135 1s 1d

£2,872 11s 3d rent, rates, taxes, lighting water, telephones insurance's etc £3,982 10s 4d

£6,920 10s 10d entertainment tax £7,059 10s 4d

£1,057 19s 9d office expenses secretary salary postage's etc £1,067 12s 3d

£0,295 18s 1d banks interest and commissions £ 0,290 11s 11d

£0,332 11s 10s clothing materials and stores £0,340 14s 1d

£1,218 3s 0d league percentage subscriptions contribution etc £0,640,1s 5d

£0,068 7s 11d law costs accounts charges £0,075 19s 9d

£1,406 6s 7d cost of jubilee and league champions celebrations including history souvenir -----

£43,103 18s 1d balance of profits

£09,406 11s 4d loss accounts £65,091 15s 1d


£52,510 9s 5d £65,091 15s 1d






£44,802 11S 0D by gate receipts proceeds of matches away etc £45,450 3s 7d

£06,320 16s 10d £06,006 8s 5d


£52,123 7s 10d £51,456 12s 1d

£00,190 6s 1d percentage of internationals match £00,059 7s 0d

£00,830 3s 6d season tickets £00,612 2s 0d

£00,272 8s0d advertising contractors for programmes, boarding and refreshments £291 2s 0d

£00,001 15s 0d share transfer fees £00,001 5s 0d

£00,093 10s 0d rent from subtenant's £00,111 5s 0d

Total £52,531 13s 7d

Balance to profits and loss accounts £12560 1s 6d




£52,5095 £65,091 15s 1d








£116 17S 0D to dividend declared 28 may 1929 of 7 half per cent per annum less income tax

£116 17s 0d

£3,181 16s 5d to depreciation now written off stands etc 10% £2,863 13s 0d

To amount of expenditure in excess of income £12560 1s 6d

£56567 0s 3d to balance carried forward £42,050 6s 4d


£59865 13s 8d £57,596 16s 0d

£49,647 7s 7d by surplus at May 1919 as per certified accounts £56,560 0s 3d

£00,234 12s 11d by income from Gwladys street property £00,335 6s 5d

£00,448 17s 4d by income from Goodison avenue etc property £00,544 5s 8d


By interest from investments

£125,0s0d by war loans £125,0s0d

£003 4s 6d by consolidated loans £003,4s 6d

£09,406 11s 4d by amounted income excess of expenditure



£59,865 13s 8d £57,596 16s 10d


June 4, 1930. The Liverpool Post and Mercury

Everton have secured the transfer of Clifford Britton, the young Bristol Rovers left back, who for the past two season has been a regular member of the first team. No more than twenty-years-old. Britton stands 5ft 10ins and weights 19 st 10lbs



June 7, 1930. The Liverpool Post and Mercury

Everton have signed H Howe from Southport, he is a left back of great promise, prior to joining the Southport club, and he was on the books of Skelmersdale United. He stands 5ft 9 and half inches weights 11 st 7lbs and is twenty-three.


Hull Daily Mail-Wednesday 11 June 1930


A footballer's romance which started with Sunday schooldays in a little Lincolnshire Wesleyar Chapel ended with wedding nuptials the village Broughton, near Brigg, on Whit Monday, when Jack Kendall, the Sheffield United goalkeeper, formerly with Lincoln City and .Everton, was married to Miss Ivy Adlard. Both bride and bridegroom are natives of Broughton, Miss Adlard being the daughter of Mr and Mrs J. F. Adlard, grocer, of Mill-lane, Broughton, while the bridegroom is the only son George Kendall, of the same village. Kendall commenced his football career with Broughton Rangers North Lincolnshire junior football, and his old amateur club were well represented the wedding. The marriage was performed by the Rey J. C. Sidnell, superintendent Wesleyan minister, of Brigg, at the Broughton Wesleyan Chapel, where the bride a member of the. choir and a Sunday School teacher. The bride was becomingly gowned white georgette and lace, with Brussels net veil trimmed with orange blossom, and wearing a white hat. She was given away by her father, carried a large bouquet of roses and carnations.


She was attended by her sister. Miss Annie Adlard. and Miss Elsie, Johnson, cousin the bridegroom, as bridemaids, and they both wore dresses of green georgette, with black lace hats and shoes. Mr J. McKay, B.Sc., a schoolmaster, of Liverpool, and friend the bridegroom, was the best man. The service was fully choral, and the chapd was profusely decorated with flowers. After the wedding, reception was held in the Broughton War Memorial Institute, where some fifty guests warmly greeted the newly-married coupled Mr and Mrs Kendal received many useful presents, including one from "Jasper" Kerr, the Preston North End full-back, who was with Kendall in his Everton days, the bride received a tea service from the congregation the Wesleyan Chapel, and a salad bowl from the Sunday School. The honeymoon being spent at Skegiss.



June 12 th 1930. The Liverpool Post and Mercury

Weldon the Everton inside forward, has been transferred to Hull City. The Scot was secured three seasons ago, when Everton were in danger of the fate, which has over taken them this year, and he proved a most useful recruit. His shooting at the time being a valuable asset. But, he got few chances last season. At his best he is a forceful forward, who dribbling with resource and he went to prove of great worth to hull city.

French a local centre-forward and J White, the formerly of Blackburn Rovers have been granted free transfers.



June 14, 1930. The Liverpool Post and Mercury

A vote of no confident in the Everton directorate was defeated at the annual meeting of the club, which was held in the central hall, Renshaw street last night. 61 voting in favour and 82 against. Mr. WC Cuff in presenting the report and accounts for the season's working said, the directors regretted that the income and expenditure account shown a loss of £12560, that loss was attributable to the abnormal amount paid for the transfer and league registration of the players, during the season they would observe that the loss, had been transferred to the profit and loss account, and after making the usual reserve for depreciation the balance standing to be credit of that account was consequently reduced from £56,570 to £42,066.

The directors were of opinion that this balance justified the recommendations of the usual dividend of seven and half per cent on the called up capital.

In calling attention to the amount standing to the wages and transfer fees account, Mr. Cuff said the directors had always adopted the policy of paying for the transfer fees of players out of the revenue. That was not the policy of every club but the Everton preferred to pay as they went along,'' we regard the fees paid for the transfer of players as being exceedingly precarious, in capable of anything like an, accurate estimation of their valve and consequently we do not include those on the asset side of our balance sheets,''

The policy they adopted made for Sunday finance and give the true financial position of the company gate receipts had increased,'' we have to confess continued Mr. cuff' that this has been the must disastrous season in the history of the club (cries of ‘'shame'') it is exceedingly unfortunate that after forty-one years in the first division we should have to accept the position of relegation into the second division. That was a fate, which had to happen to two clubs every year, and it was by no mean singular for Everton to occupy that position when it was realized that many of the clubs who, with Everton comprised the league in 1888, had been in the second division at some time in their career. The main cause of their unfortunate season had been the inexplicable loss of form, on the part of several of their players. That club, had been distinctive unfortunate in a number of their matches and he could quite understand the players having got into a very despondent state of minds. The fates were certain against them but by a wonderful effort during the closing weeks of the season, they had managed to pull themselves together to a remarkable extent and had succeeded in obtaining none out of the last possible ten points.

The club had also suffered considerably through injuries to their players which had necessitated seven operations, he hope this would take their relation as sportmens, but with the determination to make their stay in the second division a short one. No ten shareholders could have done than the directors had done in their efforts to avoid relegation and they were determined that no stone would be left interned to wipe out the strain that was on the Everton escutcheon. Mr. WJ Sawyer seconded, the adoption of the directors report which was carried there being one dissentient, Mr. Minto, one of the shareholders said, he through the club was the most mismanaged club in the league. If the Everton directors had the interest of the club at heart he proposed that they should resign. Pointing to the fact that eight years ago he, had expressed a similar sentiment. Mr. Davies another shareholder, said that during the last ten seasons the club had paid in wages and transfer fees a net amount of £197,000. Ten thousand pounds a year ought to be a fair wages list for a club like Everton. The club had never really had a sound team since the war; it had cost them £100,000 to get into the second division. Perhaps directors would say how much it would cost them to get them out. Mr. Russell another shareholder is pointing to the fact that two names had been put forward for the seats vacated on the directorate by three retiring members, said it was no, use going on with the election and leaving the directorate as it stood. If a change was made at all, it should be a complete change. Your predecessors resigned'' he said, and we elected you in their place to carry on the fortunes of the club, but now we find that you have been too long in office and it is advisable to make a change after the rest of the voting had been announced, Mr. cuff dealt of length with the FA's ruling that the surplus profits of a club upon being wound up should be distributed among the other clubs or among charities and benevolent institutions. So far as the Everton was concerned, their articles of association did not contain that clause, and he trusted that some amicable agreement would be arrived at between the FA and the club whereby the major porting of its surplus money would he retained by the shareholders. The result of the polling for the vacancies on the directorate resulted as follows: - Mr. WC Cuff 384, Mr. A Coffey 371, Mr. J Sharp 367, Mr. FW Lake 191, and Mr. Charles Wright 166, the three retiring directors were therefore re-elected.

The following is a list of the players signed for next season: - goalkeepers Coggins, Sager, full backs Cresswell, O'Donnell J, Williams, Common, Howe (Southport) Parker (Adlington, half backs, Hart, Griffiths, McPherson, McClure, Bryan, Robson, Towers, Britton (Bristol Rovers) and Thomson, forwards, Critchley, Wilkinson, Rigby, Dean, McCambridge, Johnson, Webster, T White, Chedgzoy, Stein, Martin, and Cunliffe (Darlington).

Amateur's placed on the books are: - JR Britt (goalkeeper), J Taylor (full back), AG Liggans, A Manson, R Walton, J Fryer, TH Parker and J Mercer (forwards)


JUNE 18, 1930 Lancashire Evening Post

A bookmaker in Tattersall's ring named Walter Holbein, who came from Southport and was an ex-North End footballer was struck by lightning during the storm and killed. He had usual large umbrella used by bookmakers to protect him from the rain, and this the lightning stuck. The body was conveyed to the Ascot mortuary. The deceased, Walter Holbein, was in business as a commission agent at Southport and he resided in Ribble-avenue, Crossens. He was about 45 years of age, and was a married man with a family. And had resided in Southport for several years.

North Ender of Pre-war Days

Holdem was an old North End footballer of pre-war days. He came to Deepdale in January 1913 from paisley St. Mirren, for a transfer fee of £275, and formerly was a full back with Sheffield Wednesday and Everton. He played at left-back practically throughout the season, in the team which won North End promotion in 1914-15. He was no longer with the club when football was resumed after the war. Decreased was a prominent member of the Southport Conservative Club.



JUNE 19, 1930. Yorkshire Post and Leeds Intelligencer

Tragedy marked the second's day's meeting at Ascot yesterday, and the stewards had to postpone the races after the Royal Hunt Cup, the second race of the afternoon, had been run. Mr. Walter Holbein, a booker maker, of Southport was killed by lightning during the terrific thunderstorm which swept over the course. Early in the afternoon heavy rain had fallen, and the preliminary parade of the Royal Hunt Cup horses had been dispensed with by order of the Stewards. Fortunately it was found possible to decide the Royal Hunt Cup, but immediately after the horses had returned to the paddock the storm increased in intensity, and the torrential downpour of rain was accompanied by vivid lightning and resounding claps of thunder. It was not long before the enclosures were flooded, and many parts of the course were under water.

Mr. Walter Holbein, a well-known book-maker from Southport was sheltering beneath an umbrella when the lightning caught the steel ribs, ripped the umbrella to pieces and Mr. Holbein fell unconscious to the ground. A policeman hurried to his aid and he was removed to the hospital a short distance away, but died without regaining consciousness. After Mr. Holbein was struck he had a red scar on his throat, and small red markings were found on the upper part of his chest.

A friend of the dead man who was standing beside him said that when it rained Mr. Holbein usually took shelter in the stand, but yesterday he thought it would be a passing shower, and borrowed an umbrella. He was holding it up when the lighting ripped it to pieces and seemed to pass right through Mr. Holbein's body. His clerk was also struck, but only suffered slight shock. Mr. F.B. Rhodes of Leeds was also struck by lightning and had his leg slightly injured. His friends rendered him assistance and he was able to leave the course without having medical attention. It was also reported that a woman was struck by lightning but was able to go home after receiving first aid from an ambulance man. Nothing like the storm has been known at ascot for the last fifty years. There had been threatening clouds during the morning, and heavy rain fell shortly before one o'clock. The rumble of thunder came from afar, but the storm seemed to pass over, and the throng settled down for the afternoon's racing. The runners in the Royal Hunt Cup were half-way down the course when there was a loud peal of thunder, followed by a vivid flash of lightning. In a few moments the crowd were cheering the victor; then came the deluge. The thunder roared and lightning played around the stands almost continuously. The rain was tropical in its intensity. It fell in sheets, and poured like avalanches from the water spouts.

Wild Scramble

There was a wild scramble for shelter. Women and men found that even the few seconds necessary to get under cover were sufficient to drench them to the skin. The women looked pathetic in their bedraggled growns, which only a few minutes before had been the glory of Ascot. The thousands on the popular side found it almost impossible to obtain shelter. Many others stood huddled beneath their umbrellas, while the ground beneath their feet rapidly became a quagmire. There was a grave danger of the motor buses and charabancs becoming bogged in the mud. Panic parties on the heath were taken by surprise and almost washed away. In the paddock a lake of 50 yards in diameter and at least a foot deep formed under the trees at the right of the parading ring, and the water almost submerged chairs which were left about. Water swept like a river over the lawns behind the grand stands almost carrying people off their feet. Women waded ankle deep through the floods, which eventually settled in the refreshment rooms beneath the trees. Here it rose to nearly two feet deep. Customers sat on the refreshment counters, and the waitresses carried on standing on high boxes. Hundreds of costly gowns were ruined. Last night men could be seen returning home wearing only their trousers and shirts. They had their coats and vests which were wet through, bundled up under their arms. The storm continued with unabated fury for nearly an hour. The three o'clock race was postponed and later it was announced that racing had been abandoned for the day. Three races are to be incorporated in today's programme and the other two tomorrow's card.

Dean Bookmaker

Played Football with Sheffield Wednesday

Mr. Walter Holbein, who was killed by the lightning at ascot yesterday, lived in Ribble Avenue, Crossens, a suburb of Southport. He was a great sportsman, and for over ten years before the war was one of the best left full-backs in the country. The greater part of his football career was spent with Sheffield Wednesday, who transferred him to Everton, for whom he played two seasons before joining Preston North End. He played with them until the outbreak of the war and during the War assisted the Southport club. He played for England in an Inter-League match. He was also an excellent sprinter and won many handicaps. After the war he went into the bookmaking business and was a well-known figure on the principal racecourses. He was a prominent member of Tattersall's and was also well known in coursing circles. He leaves a widow and four children.



June 20, 1930 Dundee Courier

King and Queen Subscribe to Widow's Fund

The King and Queen have headed the collection organised by the bookmakers on behalf of the widow and children of Walter Holbein, the bookmaker who was killed by lighting at ascot on Wednesday, with a joint subscription of £25.



June 20, 1930 Western Morning News

The King and Queen have headed the collection organised by bookmakers on behalf of the widow and children of Walter Holbein, the bookmaker who was killed by lighting at Ascot on Wednesday, with a joint subscription of £25. The first collection was made in Tattersall's Ring yesterday, and will be continued in the cheaper ring today.



June 20, 1930 Western Daily Press

King and Queen Give £25 to Fund for Widow

The inquest was held at Ascot last night on Walter Holbein, of Ribble Avenue, Southport, a bookmaker, who was killed by lightning on Wednesday when standing in Tattersall's Ring. It was stated that there were no witnesses of the actual occurrence. Dr. W.H. Brown, of St. Mary's Hospital, London, who was on duty at the first aid room, behind the grand stand, said that Holbein was gasping for beanth when brought in and died almost immediately. His condition was consistent with his having been struck by lightning. The only mark on his body was an abrasion of the skin on the Adam's apple. There were no signs of burning on the clothes. Samuel McClarence, who was employed by Holbein said that he ran for shelter from the rain, leaving Holdein standing under the umbrella. Two minutes afterwards he saw him being carried away.

Accidental Death

A verdict of accidental death, was returned. The King and Queen have headed the collection organised by the bookmakers on behalf of the widow and children of Holbein with a joint subscription of £25. Tithe first collection was made in Tattersall's Ring yesterday and will be continued in the cheaper ring today.


June 20, 1930. The Liverpool Post and Mercury

I think followers of Everton will be pleased to learn that Dunn, the Scottish International inside-right, has been re-signed by the Goodison club. Everton had place a fee of £2,000 for his transfer, but this figure was reduced to £1,250, when the Hearts of Midlothian club made inquires concerning him. In my opinion, it was a very low fee; Dunn is one of the cleverest forwards in the game, but got few chances last season. Following a foot operation, Everton have now thirty professionals on the books.



June 26, 1930. The Liverpool Post and Mercury

TH Lewis, the Everton reserves half-back and forward, has been transferred to Wrexham. Lewis is a native off Ellesmere Port, and is considered a likely type of player. He has played once or twice in the Everton first team. Lewis stands 5ft 10ins and weights 11 stone 10lbs.



July 8 th 1930. The Post and Mercury

Everton's capture.

Everton have made a striking capture in securing the transfer from Stockport County of Charlie Gee, who was one of the most promising centre-halves in the Northern section last season.

Gee, is a born footballer and his promotion has been rapid. He started last season in the County “A” team in the Manchester League, but was quickly transferred to the central League team. By the end of October he had justified his inclusion in Stockport County's first team, and kept his position with marked consistency. He is a sturdy, wellbuilt player, 5ft 10 and half inches, in height, and 12st in weight. Although only twenty-one years of age he stood the strain of Northern Section football remarkably well and at the same time completed his apprenticeship as a joiner.

While with the Stockport team Gee has excelled as an attacking centre-half, though he has also defended well. He learned his football at the North Reddish Council School, of which he was captain, and he secured a place in the Stockport schoolboys team. On leaving school he joined the Reddish Green Wesleyan F.C. and played in the local Sunday League, for whom he was selected as a representative in a number of inter-league matches. Gee, I am told can also play in either of the wing half-back positions, and Everton believe they have secured one of the most promising young players seen out for some time. He greatly impressed the critics last season and ordinary luck he should have a great future.

Charles Henry Dixon

Burnley Express-Wednesday 25 June 1930

NEW CENTRE-HALF Nelson have signed Charles Henry Dixon, centre-half, who last year played for Southport, and was previously with North End and Everton. Dixon stands sft. lOin. and weighs 12 stone.



May 1930