Everton Independent Research Data



October 3 rd 1927. The Daily Courier.




Everton gave a virile display at Tottenham, and were full value for their display. Their superiority lay in their straightaway methods, more particularly Dean's trustfulness in front of goal. There was method in everything they did. The conditions were bad, but fast and keen football ruled from start to finish, and Tottenham had almost as much of the play as Everton. The rearranged ‘Spurs' front line did not make the most of their chances. Their tip-tap methods in front of goal were suicidal especially on a wet ground. Everton forwards wasted no time in fruitless manceuvring, Dean, who lay well on the opposing backs, rarely failed in following up the ball. He flung it out freely to the wings, where both Critchley and Troup showed resource in beating their man and making accurate centres. Dean's first goal after 27 minutes play was a masterpiece of straightaway methods. The ‘Spurs were a tacking vigorously when O'Donnell made the run deftly eluded one of the backs, and racing to the left of the goal hooked the ball out of the reach of the goalkeeper, the ball hitting the underside of the crossbar and going into the net. Dean was also the mainspring in Everton's second goal. He took up the running from another clearance kick, and this time dashed past the backs to the right of the goal. He crashed in a cross shot which struck the foot of the post and came back into play. Dean regaining possession again, drove into goal. Britton pushing the ball out for Troup to rush in and steer the ball into the net. Tottenham had repeatedly forced scrimmages almost in the jaws of the Everton goal, and it was during one of these that Townley scored. Everton's third goal was a characteristic effort by Dean in meeting a centre from Critchley and deflecting it into the net with his head. The Tottenham forwards were fast and clever, but lacked finishing power. Skitt was the best of a moderate line of half-backs. Although they never gained mastery over Dean Richardson and Forester were sound backs, and Britton made many good saves from Troup. Dean was the outstanding forward on the field, while Troup and Critchley showed a speed and resource, which the Tottenham backs found too much for them. The Everton half-backs showed better judgement in feeding their forwards than did the Tottenham intermediate line. Cresswell and O'Donnell were sound backs, and although Taylor had not as much work to do as Britton, he saved three difficult shots in the first half. Teams: - Tottenham Hotspurs: - Britton, goal, Forster, and Richardson, backs, Smith, Skitt, and Grimsdell, half-backs, Osborne, O'Callaghan, Sanders, Townley, and Bellamy forwards. Everton: - Taylor, goal, Cresswell (captain) and O'Donnell, backs, Kelly, Hart and Virr half-backs, Critchley, Forshaw, Dean, Weldon, and Troup, forwards. Referee Mr. Thomas.



October 3 rd 1927. The Daily Courier.


While the Everton centre, was in rampant form against Oldham Reserves scoring five of the seven the other two points were headed by Griffiths both goals coming from Millington's corner kicks. Oldham were not altogether out classed, but there was never the same harmony between the front and intermediate divisions which exiled on the home side. Griffiths was a fine half, while Lewis the young wing, improved with each game, and had a capable partner in Houghton. The defence was generally sound, and Davies had no chance of stopping the shots by Stanton, Duckworth and Grundy (from a penalty kick ). Everton: - Davies goals Raitt and Rooney, backs, Brown, Griffiths, and Dickie, half-backs, Millington, Easton, White, Houghton, and Lewis, forwards.



October 5 th 1927. The Daily Courier.


“Dixie” Dean is not included in the Everton side to play Preston North End today in the second round of the Lancashire Cup. The place of England centre forward, who no doubt, will benefit by the rest will be filled by White, a native of Southport. Hunter Hart has been given a rest also, Griffiths coming in at centre half-back. The Blues will turn out as follows: - Taylor, Cresswell, O'Donnell, Kelly, Griffiths, Virr, Critchley, Forshaw, White, Weldon, and Troup.



October 6 th 1927. The Daily Courier.





An official prior to the Everton and Preston North End Lancashire Cup-tie at Goodison Park yesterday, told the writer they believed if a thing was worth doing at all it was worth doing well, and they were going all out to win. Preston's bustling tactics indeed, took Everton by surprise, and to complete the humiliation Preston, in the second half, showed they also could play the tip-tap game, and served up some well-knit and clever football. Everton seemed content to let them do so, Everton of course missed their regular centre-forward, Dean, and the inclusion of Hunter Hart would have made a world of difference. It was a keen struggle till near the interval, when Reid and Harrison, who drives as hard as ever, snatched a couple of goals, the first certainly of the lucky variety, for Preston.


Crawford and James added two more in the second half, and but for a particularly smart save from the penalty spot, after Roberts was fouled in the penalty area, (Harrison took pen, and O'Donnell grassed Roberts-Post and Mercury) there would have been a fifth. As Everton might have been awarded a penalty earlier in the game, matters were balanced. Preston had an outstanding centre-half in Morris, and he was responsible for the subdued humour of White, the former Southport player, who seems to reserve his marksmanship for the reserve team. Taylor, until near the interval, had a comfortable time, and during this half Everton should have made more use of their chances Troup and White having choice opportunities. Tony Wheldon certainly deserved a goal for the shot, which brought Carr to the ground, a position he was often in during the first half, although he always managed to extricate himself. Credit is due to Preston for their sound defence, in which the veteran Hamilton was outstanding. Teams: - Everton: - Taylor, goal, Cresswell (captain), and O'Donnell, backs Kelly, Griffiths, and Virr half-backs, Critchley, Forshaw, White, Weldon, and Troup, forwards. Preston North End: - Carr, goal, Wade and Hamilton, backs, Matcalfe, Morris, and Crawford, half-backs, Reid, Russell, Roberts, James, and Harrison, forwards . Official gate £350, attendance 6,430.



October 8 th 1927. The Liverpool Post and Mercury.

Manchester United, who will provide the opposition –not of a too strenuous nature, at times be said –at Goodison Park today, are not likely to set the Mersey on fire. Despite the fact that they have signed on Rees Williams, the Welsh international outside right from the Wednesday, their attack needs much bolstering up. Their defence is none too dependable either, and, considering that they have lost their last three away games, it seems that Everton will not have much cause for anxiety. He United are the poorer by the absence of Hanson and Haslam, but it remains to be seen what influence the new forward will exert on his colleagues. He did not play very often with The Wednesday latterly, though. Williams who was formerly with Merthtr Town, is 5ft 7in and weights 11 st , is a speedy winger and a good shot. He has been “capped “six times. The United have made repeated overtures for him during the last two years. Everton will rely on their usual eleven for the game, which starts at 3.15. Teams: - Everton: - Taylor, Cresswell, O'Donnell; Kelly, Hart, Virr; Critchley, Forshaw, Dean, Weldon, Troup. Manchester United: - Richardson; Moore, Silcock; Bennion, Mann, Wilson; Williams, Sweeney, Spence, Partridge, McPherson.



October 10 th 1927. The Daily Courier.




There was thrills galore and something of everything in this Lancashire duel, but Dean was the specialist. Dean's progress is marvelous. He is better than ever. His five goals were all real ones, too. Dean's placing was to an inch, and with the exception, possibly of one, no goalkeeper could have stopped them. Richardson was a gallant figure in the United goal, and although he had to pick five of the best out of the net it can be said his exhibition was sound. Richardson too, was publicly congratulated Dean at the finish, said, “Dean is far away the best centre-forward I have met.”

“We want goals” was evidently' Everton's motto from the start, and when it was seen that United's policy of defence was to be that of the “offside way” it was realised this was not going to pay them. Ding-dong came “Dixie” goals –four of them in the first half. Forshaw meanwhile was playing one of the games of his career –mobstrusive, it you like –but helping the leader to gather in the harvest. There was no fluke about any of the goals, for Dean manipulated the ball with skill and judgement, and shot with power and precision. Richardson said that two or three went past him like cannon balls. It was of course a spectacular treat, but while the leader co-operated with sound judgement with his wings, much of his success was due to the support he received. This was his record for a first League game, and the schedule worked out: - first goal two minutes, second nine third 30, fourth 43, fifth 60. Everton were served by a tip-top middle line and a sound defence although O'Donnell was toiling rather heavily at times. The weakness in the United forward line was again apparent, and while half a dozen front line men were weeded out at the beginning of the season Mr. Bamlett, the new manager from Middleabrough does not seem to have found the right blending yet. Not much was seen of the new man, Rees Williams, from Sheffield Wednesday, and Spence must be growing accustomed to ploughing the lonely furrow. His perseverance earned United's goal in the first half following Dean's “hat trick” and Bennion had practically the whole goal to shoot at when he scored United second following a free-kick. Teams: - Everton: - Taylor, goal, Cresswell (captain), and O'Donnell, backs, Kelly, Hart and Virr half-backs, Critchley, Forshaw, Dean, Weldon, and Troup, forwards. Manchester United: - Richardson, goal, Moore, and Silcock, backs, Bennion, Hilditch, and Wilson half-backs, Williams Hanson, Spence, Partridge, McPherson forwards.



October 10 th 1927. The Daily Courier.


Manchester united Reserves ought to have defeat Everton Reserves by more than two goals to one at Old Trafford hesitancy in front of goal losing than several scoring chances. There were no goals in the first half but on one occasion Richardson, the home centre forward was robbed when attempting to walk the ball into the net. The defence of both sides were very strong. Chapman obtained Manchester's opening goal, and ten minutes later Ferguson added a second. Fifteen minutes from the finish Griffiths scored for Everton.



October 15 th 1927. The Daily Courier.


The great Derby game at Goodison Park today between Everton and Liverpool will undoubtedly be looked upon as the tit-bit of the long series. Both sides are confident that they possess the most serviceable teams, taken all round for many seasons. Both are doing exceedingly well, therefore the battle is sure to be as thrilling a one as was ever staged locally. There is some doubt about Scott being able to turn out for Liverpool, as his hand injury is a little more serious than at first though. If such a calamity however, occurs today the Reds will have no cause for being unduly alarmed, as Riley, the South Africa, will not weaken the team if called upon to do, duty.


The teams are as follows: - Everton: Taylor; Cresswell, O'Donnell; Kelly, Hart, Virr; Critchley, Forshaw, Dean, Weldon, Troup. Liverpool: Scott (Or Riley); Lucas, McKinlay; McMullan, Jackson, Bromilow; Edmed, Hodgson, Revlin, Reid, Pither.

Many questions have to be answered before arriving at the solution of today's problem of who will win. The principal one perhaps, is this: Can the Everton spearhead pierce and crumble the Liverpool shield. In other words: Can the Goodison Park forwards who have shown themselves to be a really brilliant lot in recent weeks, beat the renowned –and deservedly so –Liverpool defence?

An examination of the opposing sides may be helpful to those who care to don the mantle of the prophet. Everton have a sound defence, with Cresswell the master mind. Taylor may not be so certain as of old, but the international will not be perturbed by the importance of the occasion or the size of the crowd. The halves are among the finest in the country, but much will depend on the pivots on each side. Can Hart held Devlin? Will Jackson master Dean? There are other vital questions to be dealt with.


The Liverpool backs are believed to be among the wonders of the game. Their years of service sit lightly upon them. The half-backs will have to bear the brunt of the battle. Liverpool appear to have a little advantage forward –on the right –but Everton's left pair should neutralise this pull. As for the centres, Dean and Devlin –well, there is only one “Dixie,” and if he cannot score today no other Everton forward will. Taking the previous results of the meetings of the teams from the season 1919-20, it will be found that Everton have won two games at Goodison Park, three being drawn and three lost. They won there last season. The figures for the Anfield game are: Liverpool won six, drew one, and lost one. Last season's game at Anfield went to the Reds. The match starts at 3.0



October 17 th 1927. The Daily Courier.




The first of the great clashings of the season between Everton and Liverpool was drawn at Goodison Park on Saturday, the scoring being 1 goal each. The first point –a wonderful one –was notched for Everton by Troup, while Edmed equalised for Liverpool. There was an attendance of 60,000. Jackson, the Liverpool centre-half has forced himself into the limelight by completely subduing Dean, England's centre, who was given no rope. Dean's record of scoring in every match this season was smashed. Liverpool played the spoiling game very successfully, and their tried and trusted defence never wavered before the fierce onslaught of the home forwards. Riley, who deputised for Scott in the visitor's goal one was of the hero's of the tussle. His coolness was remarkable, McMullan, the Reds' right-half, was injured in the second half.


It was freely commented that Liverpool had the smiles of fair fortune in getting away with a point in the hectic battle. It must though, not be overlooked that the defence is part of a side, and that is where Liverpool shone. Indeed a chance shot at the close when Devlin struck the upright might have won them the match, and the result would then have been wrong. Everton played as well as the Liverpool spoilers would let them and that was uncommonly well. Most of the arts and graces, which did not obtrude greatly on so feverish an occasion, were left to Everton, and they developed a wonderful attack all along their front line, particularly in the second half, when Riley was the Horatio of the occasion. He took care of all kinds of shots, and he seemed so nonchalant, just passing his hands out to them, right and left as if taking light exercise. Let me introduce also another personality, a man of the match –Jackson to wit. He was terrier like in his grip on Dean tracking him wherever he wandered. No man could have played sleuth on England's centre more effectively. A real attacking half-back, he was alert and precise in the task. Not for many a long day had Dixie had such difficulty in working his way in. His goal scoring record was also upset.


Lucas was also in the plot in chaperoning the centre-forward. Indeed McKinlay and Lucas were dominant and co-operative backs, and fitted no second time to Cresswell, one of the coolest men on the field, and O'Donnell, still inclined to do the heavy act –a sort of any port in a storm but a generally safe man at that. There was nothing ill natured in the push Lucas gave Dean just outside the penalty area although her was penalised. Hart has again to receive a pat on the back. He is on the top of his form. It was his task to hold Devlin, and he did it, with a partner of constructive ability in Virr on one side and dashing Kelly on the other. Troup's goal, the first, was a real moderate one –a crasher, which would have left any goalkeeper powerless. He certainly made the most of the opportunity given by Dean. Tony Weldon could not seem to accomplish the register, and on the other wing Forshaw did much good work, with Critchley not too reboust against some rough stuff and the artistic Bromilow.


Devlin absolutely could not deliver the goods. The Everton half-backs were repeatedly crossing a lance with him, and, to make matters worse, he was not getting the ball on the carpet. The Liverpool forwards had their chances, but could not take them. The Pither-Reid wing made the better impression. Hodgson had the skill but seemed minus much of his dash but Edmed who scared the equaliser, was the danger spot. Taylor, who came back to his truer form had no chance. It must be overlooked that Liverpool had McMullan hurt in the second half, and the rearrangement of the side tended to dislocation. Teams: - Everton: - Taylor, goal, Cresswell (captain), and O'Donnell, backs, Kelly, Hart, and Virr half-backs, Critchley, Forshaw, Dean, Weldon, and Troup, forwards. Liverpool: - Riley, goal, Lucas, and McKinlay, backs, McMullan, Jackson, and Bromilow (captain), half-backs, Edmed, Hodgson, Devlin, Reid, and Pither forward. Referee Mr. WF. Bunnell.



October 17 th 1927. The Liverpool Post and Mercury


At Deepdale. Everton started well but later fell away Preston proving the more thrustful throughout. Houghton and Millington were the scorers for Everton. Everton: - Davies, goal, Bain and Rooney, backs, Brown, Griffiths and Dickie, half-backs, Millington, Easton, French, Houghton, and Lewis, forwards.



October 17 th 1927. The Liverpool Post and Mercury


At Strawsberry lane. Everton at one time were five goals in arrears, but French playing at centre forward scored four goals to bring about a wonderful rally. The last named was easily the outstanding player on view, while in a lesser standpoint Millington (Everton) and Littler (Skelmersdale) display capital football. Scorers; Littler (2), Banks (2), Bromilow (2), for Skelmersdale. French (4), and Millington for Everton.


Dundee Courier - Wednesday 19 October 1927

At an inquest on James Williamson, who met his death the result of an accident on the football field while playing for Poulton Rovers, Birkenhead,a verdict accidental death was returned. Williamson had previously played for Armadale, Hibs, Hamilton, Tranmere, Everton. and Tranmere for a second time. did not .play for Dunfermline.


Motherwell Times-Friday 21 October 1927

The death took place last week at his home in Liverpool, of Mr. James R. Williamson, a former member of Bellshill Athletic football team. Mr. Williamson, who was 36 years of age, met with an accident on the playing field. The previous Saturday he was one of the Poulton Rovers team against Aintree in a Liverpool County Cup game, and during the match he sustained injuries which resulted in his death. Jimmy, as he was familiarly called at home here, was a Hamilton boy, and began work twenty years ago by selling programmes in Hamilton Hippodrome. He there resided in James Street. Applying himself enthusiastically to the game of football, he played for Bellshill Athletic, and was eventually transferred to the Hibernians, on the outbreak of war he joined the Royal Scots, being sent first to munitions and then called out for service in France. In the war matches he played for Everton and in his first game in France he scored nine goals. After the war he married and settled down in the Liverpool area, where he played successively for the Tranmere Rovers ad the Poulton Rovers. James was popular with his fellows, and his early death under such unfortunate circumstances will be mourned by all who knew him.


October 22 nd 1927. The Liverpool Post and Mercury

The visit of West Ham United to Everton on Saturday, will provide an entertaining struggle, even though the teams will be show of prominent numbers dean of Everton and Earle and Hutton of West Ham, will be assisting England at Belfast. T White deputising for dean the former Southport player, who will thus make his debut in division one football. A couple off weeks ago, he played for the first team against Preston north end in the lancashire cup-tie, and his display in the first half gave promise of improvement. He is young and ambitious and this should prove a fine chance to Shaw his worth.

Teams: - Everton; Taylor; Cresswell, O'Donnell; Kelly Hart, Virr; Critchley, Forshaw, White, Weldon, Troup. West Ham United: Bailey; Henderson, Hebden; Collins, Barrett, Cadwell; Yews, Loughlin, Walton, V. Gibson, Russell.



October 24 th 1927. The Daily Courier.



Although Everton staggered the critics –not to speak of West Ham United –by defeating a side who affected championship aspirations by no fewer than seven goals to none at Goodison Park on Saturday, they could not really claim it as a “famous victory.”

There was only one side in it, for at no time did the “Hammers” get to grips. West Ham apparently, are too dainty a side for these mud-larks. Everton stalked on the heavy grounds as if they liked it. Everton were without Dean and West Ham were without Hufton and Earle; but even so it was expected that the Londoners would make a close match of it. What happened was a debacle a rout, a serio comical exposition of football. Further spice is given to the tale and sorrows by recalling what West Ham's manager said in response to congratulations on his side attaining the premier position in the First Division table. “How they managed it I do not know.” Said he. Neither did any one of the many thousands of people at the match on Saturday, in which the Blues kept up their record of scoring in every League match this season.

The “Hammers” could not plead in extenuation of the result the absence of Hufton, England's goalkeeper, whom they procured from Sheffield United for only £300 for Baillie, who was born in the “village” more than did his bit. He could not be expected to stop the penalty goal and possibly only one of the other six. The wonder is more goals were not put past him for he had a weak pair of backs in front of him, for he had a weak pair of backs in front of him, and they were repeatedly sending him a “wire” to take the ball. That big back, Henderson, does not seem up to his usual standard since his reappearance. Earle on international duty, was missed undoubtedly, but Everton managed quite well without Dean, also serving his country. One reason was because they adopted a new plan of campaign. The game was developed on the flanks, so that not so much depended upon White the ex-Southport player, as distributor and leader, although the young centre is coming along nicely in this class of football, and his goal each half should be a message of confidence for the future.


Again praise must be given unsparingly to Forshaw, who has a fascinating way with the ball, and as Critchley also curled out of his shell, this was a dandy right wing. Forshaw scored again, and so did Critchley with the pick of the basket. Troup did not spare himself and was not averse to taking a risk, and with Weldon, who scored quite a leisurely goal at the outset, the attack also developed strongly on this wing. Henderson, in putting through his own goal, was unfortunate enough to add to the “Hammers” cup of bitterness. O'Donnell the penalty goal-scorer , (Critchley grassed for Penalty-Post and Mercury) was a stout fellow although in his impetuous way the ball sometimes went where it listed when he kicked. Cresswell again was a specialist in his department Taylor was largely a spectator. It is not to be denied that the “Hammers” have a deft forward line when the circumstances are favourable, and it is a feather in the cap of Hunter Hart, a really great centre half, that he was able to take the measure of Victor Watson, who was far below international standard. Yews and Ruffell are much better wingers than on this form and Vivian Gibbons, the “Hammers” amateur, tried hard when he had a rare chance. Their trouble was in the half-back and last lines. Teams : - Everton: - Taylor, goal, Cresswell (captain) and O'Donnell, backs, Kelly, Hart, and Virr, half-backs, Critchley, Forshaw, White, Weldon, and Troup, forwards. West Ham United: - Ballie, goal, Henderson, and Hebden, backs, Collins, Barrett, and Cadwell, half-backs, Yews, Loughlin, Watson, Gibbons, and Ruffell, forwards. Referee Mr. Stott.



October 24 th 1927. The Liverpool Post and Mercury


Everton “A” declined for the second round of the George Mahon cup by a win at Runcorn. Runcorn failed to maintain their early lead, when Bevan beat Hughes with a fast shot. Hegarty equalising before the interval. Temphman scored the winning goal with a first shot from 25 yards range. Everton were the better team and deserved to win.



October 24 th 1927. The Liverpool Post and Mercury

Ireland beat England by two goals to nil, at Belfast, in front of 30,000 spectators, Everton's Robert Irvine opens the scoring for Ireland.



October 25 th 1927. The Liverpool Post and Mercury.

Following the introduction of special electric lights, at Aigburth, to enable the Liverpool rugby players to practice at night. I understand the Everton club, have arranged for installation at Goodison to facilitate the training of their amateur member. The ‘'A'' team players will therefore be able to exercise at night on the ground around the goal area.



October 29 th 1927. The Dairy Courier.

Everton should win at Fratton Park today, but not so easily as some people appear to think. The visiting, whose longest League journey of the season it is, are at full strength, but Pompey are at home, and Pompey play very well on their own mat. The experience of late have been none to happy, so they are going to put a little more pep into their game with the Blues. They have something to wipe off the slate where the city of Liverpool is concerned. Try have not forgetting that. The match starts at 3 o'clock, and the teams are as follows: - Portsmouth: McPhail; Clifford, McColgan; Davies, Foxall, Moffatt; Forward, Mackie, Flaines, Watson, Rutherford.



October 31 st 1927. The Daily Courier.




Everton had to work hard for their victory at Portsmouth, and it was not until the closing stages that they gained the winning goals. Playing on their own ground the Portsmouth team were a much harder nut to crack then when they were so soundly thrashed at Anfield. In the first half their halves and backs were most effective in preventing the Everton forwards from getting into their proper stride. Playing with great dash and earnestness they completely upset Everton's passing movements, and Dean in particular was given close attention. There were usually two and sometimes three policemen watching Dean, and they did not stand on ceremony. They threw themselves at the Everton leader in a manner, which would have knocked the heart out of many centre-forwards, but not so “Dixie.” He never lost his temper but kept pegging away manfully, and in the end tired out the opposition and finished the afternoon with the “hat-trick” to his credit.

Portsmouth had more chances of scoring in the first half than Everton and when they gained the first goal after 37 minutes play both their players and their supporters went wild with delight. Their joy, however, was short-lived. Just before the interval, Dean scored one of those goals peculiar to himself. Lying well forward he took a long forward pass from Hart in his stride, dashed between the backs, veered to the right, and as the goalkeeper came out to meet him, deftly turned the ball out of the reach into the far corner of the net.


Portsmouth commenced the second half with renewed energy, but after Haines had missed an open goal their halves and backs begin to wilt under severe pressure. Despite their over-robust methods the Everton forwards gradually wore them down. Still it was not until the last quarter of an hour that Everton obtained their two goals' lead. Critchley after lobbing the ball over the head of Moffatt, placed in front of goal. McPhail knocked down a header from Dean who seized on the ball from a rebound and drove into the net. Weldon provided the opening for Dean's third goal. He dribbled cleverly and although tripped, he kept the ball and took it from the right to the left wing before placing it to Dean, who scored with an oblique shot. The Everton forwards showed great patience and fortitude against halves and backs whose methods were at all time over-robust. Dean refused to be subdued, and his stamina held out better than the opposing backs, his three goals bringing his total to 20 for the season. All three of the Everton halves did well, and Cresswell was seen at his best in his cool calculation, and both he and O'Donnell were strong and sure in their kicking. Taylor made several splendid saves, and he also was a victim of the Portsmouth players dangerous methods, but happily he was not put out of action. The teams were: - Portsmouth: - McPhail, goal, Clifford, and McColgan, backs, Davies, Foxall, and Moffatt, half-backs, Forward, Mackie, Haines, Watson, and Rutherford, forwards. Everton: - Taylor, goal, Cresswell (captain), and O'Donnell, backs, Kelly, Hart, and Virr, half-backs, Critchley, Forshaw, Dean, Weldon, and Troup, forwards. Referee Mr. Osell.



October 31 st 1927 th The Liverpool Post and Mercury


Heavy scoring marked the Centre League games on Saturday, twenty-three goals, being obtained in two matches. Everton defeat Burnley at Goodison Park by 11-0 and Huddersfield Town defeated Manchester City by 11-1. The score at Goodison Park in no way exaggerates Everton's superiority, the visitors defence being completely nonplussed. Only Down, in goal in the Burnley side, played well, for he kept out some awkward shots and had no chance with the scoring drives. The halves and wing forwards played splendidly. The scorers were, White (4), Easton (2), Houghton (2), Griffiths, a Burnley defender, and Irvine. Everton: - Davies goal, Bain and Rooney, backs, Brown, Griffiths, and Dickie, half-backs, Irvine, Easton, White, Houghton, and Lewis, forwards.











October 1927