Everton Independent Research Data


Hartlepool Mail-Tuesday 1 October 1929
Blackball Welfare's Custodian Albert Kirkbride, who has been keeping goal for Blackball Welfare, played a trial game with Leicester City Reserves on Saturday last, playing against Chelsea Reserves Leicester had an easy game, winning 5—O. Kirkbride had very little work to do, and is expected to pay a further visit. Standing 5ft. 10in.. and weighing 11st.. Kirkbride, at the beginning of the present season, goal for Rising Star, later going to Blackball. is only 20 years of age. An Everton representative arrived fix him for a trial a few hours after Leicester had done so. The secretary of Blackball accompanied Kirkbride.

October 2nd, 1929. The Liverpool Post and Mercury.
Harrogate, Tuesday. There have been some extraordinary rumours lately, and the most extraordinary one concerns alleged transfer of dean to Blackburn Rovers, Dean rumours starting the story at Manchester, said that this was an accomplished fact. Dean, when questioned on the point said,''well, its news to me.'' Mr. McIntosh the secretary of the club said,'' the idea is absurd, and I wonder how these remours get about. What is it at the back of them ? There is no truth in the suggestion.'' Everton, by the way play Sunderland tomorrow night, and Dunn is not certain to turn out, owing to an injured ankle. Wilkinson formerly of Newcastle United and Weldon, are on the spot and ready to drop into the Vacancy should it occur.

October 3 rd 1929. The Daily Courier.
All four goals in the game at Roker Park were scored in the opening half. It was a fast and entertaining tussle, notwithstanding the fact that the wind of almost hurricane force robbed, it of the finer features. Everton's hope of securing both points was sadly discounted within the first ten minutes, when O'Donnell made the Wearsiders a grit of the opening goal by driving into his own net in the excitement of attempting to clear a strong shot from McLean. Everton first goal came after 20 minutes from Martin as a climax to a prolonged shuffle round the Sunderland goal. Twenty minutes later Gurney regained the lead for Sunderland with a lovely header, but just on half-time the score was again levelled with a goal by Dean that should never have reached the net.

It was a slow ground shot that deluded both backs, and then Bell stood and watched the ball into the net in the belief that it was bound to go outside. It was a particularly unfortunate lapse on his part, as the directors of Newcastle United were watching his performance with a view to effecting his transfer from Sunderland. Both sides played hard for the deciding goal, but it did not materialise, in the second half. Defence on either side was brilliant. Cresswell and England being the outstanding men. Dean never approached his usual brilliant form. A weak ankle probably accounted in great measure for his indifferent display, and McDougall held a firm grip on him throughout.

Dunn was also suffering from foot trouble and the brunt of Everton attack fell in large measure on their colleagues. While put in a lot of constructive work but failed frequently to hold Gurney whose leadership of the Sunderland attack was not particularly impressive. Halliday filled the inside-left berth and was palpably not at home in that position. He never made a solitary solo effort of any moment and the only real workers in the Sunderland front line were Gurney, McKay, and McLean. Davies gave a fine display in goal and was much more frequently in action than Bell. Sunderland were often foiled by the offside whistle, while three direct shots at goal by Gurney, McPhee, and McDougall hit the net on the outside. Teams; - Sunderland; - Bell, goal; Murray and England, backs, Morris, McDougall, and Bartley; half-backs; Bartley, McPhee, McKay, Gurney, Halliday and McLean, forwards. Everton; - Davies, goal, Cresswell and O'Donnell, backs; Robson, White, Hart (captain), half-backs; Ritchie, Dunn, Dean, Martin, and Stein, forwards.

WESTERN Gazette –Friday 4 October 4 1929
Yeovil and Peter's F.C has obtained the signature of George Jones from Southport. He will be introduce in the match with Ebbw Vale tomorrow at outside right but can play on either wing. Previous to playing regularly last season with Southport, he had a season with Middlesbrough and three seasons with Everton. He is reported to be a fast and clever winger. He is 5ft 7 ½ inches tall, and weighs over 11 stone. He is about 27 years of age.

Saturday 05 October 1929 ,  Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette ,

A famous ex-footballernow living in this city, in the person of Mr. R. W. Menham, the new licensee Trafalgar Tavern, Calton Road. At the age of 16, Mr. Menham Rugger, but on joining the 3rd Grendier Guards he changed over to Association. Whilst he was in the Guards he played for the Army in 1895, obtaining his shirt and cap, and he also his Middlesex county cap and badge in 1894-5-6. Whilst the Army he played for Tottenham Hotspur. In 1896 he retired from the Army to take professional football. He played for many years for Everton,during the time when Jack Bew was in team. Whilst with Everton he played in the final of the F.A. Cup, for whichhe received a runner-up medal. Their opponnents were Aston Villa, who by three goals to two. Mr. Menham played for Wian County after leaving Everton, and later joined Swindon Town. In 1907 he retired after having played professional for 11 years. His son, F. H. Menham, is securing a good position in Soccer circles. He is at present playing for the Swindon Corthinthians, and will be in their team at Lambridge to-day (Saturday)- He played recently for the Inter-Line (England) team v. The Rest. He stands well over 6ft.

October 5, 1929 Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
Cup Finalist Now A Bath Licensee
Son At Lambridge
A famous ex-football player is now living in this city, in the person of Mr. R.W. Menham, the new licensee of the Trafalgar Tavern, Calton Road. At the age of 16, Mr. Menham took up Rugger, but on joining the 3 rd Grenadier Guards he changed over to Association. Whilst he was in the Guards he played for the Army in 1895, obtaining his shirt and cap, and he also got his Middlesex county cap and badge in 1894-5-6. Whilst in the Army he played for Tottenham Hotspur. In 1896 he retired from the Army to take up professional football. He played for many years for Everton, during the time when Jack Bew was in the team. Whilst with Everton he played in the final of the F.A. Cup for which he received a runners-up medal. Their opponents were Aston Villa, who won by three goals to two. R. Menham, played for Wigan County after leaving Everton, and later for Swindon Town. In 1907 he retired, after having played professional football for 11 years. His son, F.H. Menham, is securing a good position in Soccer circles. He is at present playing for the Swindon Corthinthians, and will be in their team at Lambridge today (Saturday). He played recently for the Inter-Line (English) team v. The Rest. He stands well over 6ft.

October 5 th 1929. The Liverpool Post and Mercury.
By John Peel.
One of the foremost aspirants to League honours is the Arsenal, judging by the talent at the disposal of the club. The visit of the London side to Goodison Park will arouse the livest interest and I am sure Goodison Park will be taxed to its utmost capacity. That the Arsenal is a strong side is undoubted, and with Everton seemingly on the upgrade the match should be a fine one. The Arsenal have won five of their eight games, and though Bolton Wanderers won at Highbury last Saturday the team is not dismayed, and Jack and James the star forwards, who have earned high praise for their clever footcraft, are likely to lead a confident forward line. In these two players the club possess two of the finest forwards of the time, and I am sure the activities of James, who will be performing in League football for the first time at Goodison Park will be closely followed. The Arsenal half-back line will be strengthened for the return of John, the Welsh international. An interesting introduction to the Arsenal side is that of Bastin, a young inside-right, while Jack will play at centre-forward. Everton's recent form suggests that they will be able to hold the London side, but there seems to be a doubt whether one or two members of the side that drew at Sunderland will be fit to play. At full strength Everton should record their first home victory. The kick off is 3-15, and the teams are; - Everton; Davies; Cresswell, O'Donnell; Robson; White, Hart; Ritchie, Dunn, Dean, Martin, Stein. Arsenal; Lewis; Parker, Hapgood; Sneddon, Roberts, John; Hulme, Bastin, Jack, James, Jones.

Lancashire Evening Post –October 7 1929
(Lancashire Senior Cup)
Blackpool, at Goodison Park this afternoon, met Everton in a second round game of the Lancashire Senior Cup. They made one change in tho team that won at Barnsley. Lauderdale was not eligible, and so Brooks appeared at inside left. For Everton, Troup and Griffiths made their first appearance since their operations. Teams: Everton.—Davies; Common, O'Donnell; Robson, Griffiths, Hart; Ritchie, Weldon, Wilkinson, Eastham, Troup; Blackpool.—Wolfe; Grant, Ramsay; Watson, Tremeling Benton; Quinn, Upton, Hampson, Brooks, Downes. Referee; Mr. I. Caswell, Blackburn. Blackpool began the game, and after Ramsay had made clearance Humpson went straight up the field and struck the framework with an excellent low shot. Thus Blackpool's leader early showed a small crowd that his for min the English League side on this ground was not his bust. It seemed peculiar to see Blackpool at work on such big field, but it proved greatly to their liking. They used tho ball very well. Hampson and Upton, in particular moved well, and Davies several times was tested. Hampson twice had hard shots blocked. In comparison not much was seen of Everton in an attacking souse. Quite the best shot they sent in came from Griffiths, and it did not trouble Wolfe. In tho first quarter of hour Blackpool created all the danger thero was. After Davies had mad a splendid one-handed save from Hampson, Quinn got through, and his shot beat the 'keeper, but struck the framework and came out again. Brooks ought to have done better than just slice centre from Unton. Then when Burton and Downes collaborated an excellent movement, the centre just beat Hampson when he was only about a yard out of goal.

Since the stort Everton had been saved from several goals only by luck and brilliant defence. Common and' O'Donnell defended splendidly, but it seemed at this point that Blackpool could not fail to get the lead. More bright attacks Blackpool culminated in Upton mistaking Hampson's position and so by a wrong pass losing an almost certain goal. Everton replied at once and Grant went down to a low ball. Hart tried to head it but had to leave the field with his face badly cut. After 28 minutes Blackpool gained the lead they had always deserved. A point shot by Upton was diverted for a corner, and this was excellently placed by Quinn. Humpson charged O'Donnell, and Trcmelling, leaping up, headed into the net. Only a few moments later Hampson again struck the framework. There was no doubt now that Blackpool were decidedly unfortunate in not being several goals in front. Tremeiling just failed with a long shot. Another shot Hampson hit the framework after someone had diverted it, and it was quite a change in this one-sided match when Ritchie got far enough to shoot wide. Everton certainly wore getting & lesson in direct football and its application in finishing. Blackpool still wore much the cleverer side. The splendid covering of the defence robbed Everton of all their power in attack. For th© first time this season Blackpool's players were not knocked about needlessly, and they took advantage of the respite to show really good football. Blackpool's triumph in no way came from shock tactics. Their football was the better fat, and they wore as unlucky as they could' in that they had not sot Everton in hopeless position. HALF-TIME—BLACKPOOL 1, EVERTON 0

October 7 th 1929. The Daily Courier.
By the Pilot
Everton again disappointed their own supporters on Saturday, when at Goodison Park, before the largest crowd seen they this season, nearly 50,000 they conceded as point to the Arsenal. Visiting clubs have now been allowed to take away no fewer than five of the eight points played for on the ground, and the Blues have yet to give their followers a taste of the sweets of victory at home. This latest draw of one goal apiece was a just and equitable result, for neither side played well enough to merit absolute success, and had it not been for two bright patches –all too short, I might mention the game would have been one of the poorest. As matters were, it was an unsatisfactory affair and certainly not up to the standard one would expect from two such talented combinations. Everton, with Dunn and Dean absent, did not collaborate with there customary skill and the high-price stars of the Arsenal failed to scintillate, as one expected. I had hoped that the match would have been one to remember, but now I would much rather forget it. The Arsenal had the better of the first half from a territorial point of view, and some of their approach work was good, but they ruined it all by their irritating hesitancy when in the region of the penalty area. Dailying was one of the chief faults of the Londoners all thoroughly, and so Everton struck one as being much the quicker on the ball. The Blues were a zealous band of workers, but like their opponents, were not incisive enough when near goal. As a matter of fact, there was a minimum of shooting in this encounter, and the goalkeepers had a comparatively easy time.

In the early stages I thought the Arsenal would win, because they were utilising the ball so well and not trying to be too individual, but their repeated failure to improve on cleverly won openings soon dispelled the idea and it was left to Ritchie to gain the first goal after 35 minutes. Martin and Stein kindled the flank, and when Stein crossed near the goal, Lewis and Weldon ran for the ball at the same time. Weldon caused the goalkeeper to miss the ball and it ran further across the goal conventerily for Ritchie to step in and place low into the net. The goal was the signal for one of these two bright periods I mentioned and it was the Blues who were responsible for it. They realised that they had their opponents on one leg, and proceeded to make the most of it. Weldon once whipped the ball between two opponents to the far corner until Lewis hurled himself across and just contrived to tip the ball around the post with the watchers all set for a cheer. Further encouraged Everton literally swarmed round the Arsenal goal, and their quick action left Parker and Hapgood floundering hopelessly on occasion. The visiting backs and halves crowded on each other as if in a state of panic, but after a cute corner by Ritchie had passed harmlessly across the goal, and shots from other forwards had been luckily baulked, the electric shock of Ritchie's goal seemed to cease.

It was the turn of the Gunners to provide the other thrilling phase when the game was resumed. They were obviously out to whip off the deficit at the earliest opportunity and they participated in strong attacks only to find that Bastin was the one forward who would take over the shooting responsibilities. He was dangerously near on more than one occasion, but Hulme's equaliser after 57 minutes was not unexpected. Hulme had to thank John for the chance to rattle the net, for the left-half lobbed the ball straight across to the goalmouth and Hulme coming in at top speed, hit it on the drop and scored before Davies could as much as shape to avert the disaster. Level again, the Londoners decided that they had gained all they desired, for they gradually dropped back into a groove which led to an over abundance of uninteresting midfield play. True, there were incidents which occasionally made the watchers sit up and take notice, but they were few and far between.

One of these was when Bastin , the 17 years old forward, who was making his First Division debut, left the home defenders standing by a sinuous dribble which took him well clear Davies advanced to narrow the angle and was successful in holding the forwards sharp shot, which flew to straight to be effective. Had Bastin lobbed the ball up he most have scored. Bastin who I know attracted emissaries from Meresyside when operating with Exeter City last season, was of the success of the match, gaining even more honours than James. He is an artist in keeping the ball low, and thinks and acts quickly. His shots are sound and he can adapt himself to any scheme. This is a player with a future. James to when every one looked for big things was a disappointing. The manner in which he juggled with the ball and inceived the opponents it on with body feint was brilliant but that was all. He could not find his colleagues with his passes and his shooting was just as inaccurate. The Everton defenders was more reliable, than that of the Gunners, even though O'Donnell was handicapped by his injury which almost prevented him from turning out. He was able to bring off one or two spectacular tacklers at the expense of Hulme, Cresswell gave a highly finished display of good football. Hart was the outstanding half-back and White was robust but hardly constructive enough, and Robson's only fault was that he was too easily foil into a false position.

Ricthie struck me as the best of the forwards and certainly the most likely one to win the game. It is true that he was slow at getting off the mark, but he required a deal of watching when near the region of goal. Stein was trustful and fast and finished his work well, I think he would have had a really good day had his partner, Martin not been injured early on. Martin had a spell on the wing but changed again to show distinct honesty of purpose, but the blow prevented him from looking after the feels of Stein and Wilkinson as much as he desired. Wilkinson was a rare worrier, but he got few of the right passes for a burst through. His headwork in front of goal was unconvincing, but he managed to hold the line together skillfully. Weldon was the schemer of the line and it was mainly because of his “drawing” propensities before slipping away the passes that enabled Ritchie to have such nice basic material. Roberts the ex-Oswestry Town player was the pick of the Londoners half-backs, for John concentrated too much on defence and Seddon was running around after the ball instead of positioning himself to make it come to him. The Arsenal rearguard, as a whole, had a silky way of chasing the ball in a bunch and it might easily have brought about their downfall. Parker was the better of the backs, and Hulme and Bastin constituted the most dangerous section of the attack. The tricky wind did not help to improve the football but neither side won honour in this indifferent engagement. Teams; - Everton; - Davies, goal, Cresswell and O'Donnell, backs, Robson, White, and Hart (captain), half-backs, Ritchie, Weldon, Wilkinson, Martin, and Stein, forwards. Arsenal; - Lewis, goal, Parker and Hapgood, backs, Seddon, Roberts, and John, half-backs, Hulme, Bastin, Jack, James, and Jones, forwards .

October 7 th 1929. The Daily Courier.
Aston Villa's Central League have been scoring in prolific style at Villa Park and have generally led their opportants, but Everton proved capable of holding them with their own scoring. It was a brilliant exhibition of forward play. Attwood, formerly of Walsall did the hat-trick for Everton prior to the interval and Easton and Attwood were successful later. Attwood led the attack superbly.

Liverpool county combination.
At Strawberry-lane. The teams were on level terms at the interval Hanson and Forshaw scoring. In the second half Whiston were the more dangerous side, and Parkinson in the home goal was kept busy. Hanson, however, gave the home team the lead, but Forshaw completed the “Hat-trick,” which included a penalty.

October 8 th 1929. Liverpool Post and Mercury.
By “Bee.”
Blackpool Football Club have created a stir amount the football authorities this season and yesterday the Fates were against them when they only drew at Everton in a Lancashire Cup-tie after having most of the play and having very bad fortune near goal. Five times the ball was put towards Davies and he was saved by the goalposts. Blackpool could also complain that the final equalising goal was tinged to a degree with offside, when the referee did not allow. Actually the time of the game was up when Wilkinson preserved towards goal on the right-hand side of the field and squeezed the ball beyond the competent Wolf in goal. It was an angled shot and the goalkeeper was hurt in the process. Prior to this there had not been a shot from Everton. Near the finish –five minutes from the end –Everton gave Blackpool defence their one grueling period. Easton, a half-back and forward started the charge of tactics with a fine shot and Ritchie and Wilkinson added shots, but what were those among so many desperate first time shots from the Blackpool side? They were hardly worth mentioning, and are only named because it is just these players should be awarded the palm for having dared to risk a shot. Blackpool scored in twenty-eight minutes through Tremelling heading a goal from a corner.


There would have been no equaliser if the Blackpool goalkeeper had not taken undue time over his goal-kicks and if a full back had not foolishly kicked the ball into the crowd to waste time. It was in this “extra time” that Everton equalised. But the goal was all against the day's play, in which it must be conceded Everton had to spend more than a half of the game without the services of Hart, their captain, who tried to make a low clearance and got a back's boot on the cheekbone, which had a couple of statues put into it. This was hard luck for Hart and Everton, but one might almost say that Blackpool were the chief sufferers from the bad luck of the day; they played well; they played quickly without resorting to abandoned punts and clearances, and they made home side look very ordinary. Certainly Everton had a strange mixture out –Troup returned and showed a natural tenderness and Griffths returned to centre half-back for the first time since his operation and did quite well –he is already warming up his known best fashion of play. But the Everton forwards after a round or two of close ground passing, because more commoners without shot and without confidence, and with far too much finicky dribbling that led the quick wing tacklers of Blackpool to step in and take the ball from them. At centre-half back Tremelling had a good day's work nearly scoring three from that position, and in front of him the dashing and clever young leader, Hampton, showed fine resource and ability, and his shots were of a stinging character. Blackpool routed the Everton side by sound scheming, and fine deadly footwork near goal.

Indeed, Everton could not have complained had they suffered one of their heaviest home or away defeats. It was not that Blackpool shot badly when they should have scored, but rather that mere rank bad fortune stopped the Second Division side scooping the pool. Blackpool on the showing have a side worthy the senior circle. They played well together they were unselfish; their manner of playing suggested that they relished a tilt with a senior side; in fact they said that it was the first time for a long while that they had been allowed to play good football, as Second Division style is built up on different tactics. Hampson is undoubtedly a great young leader who carries his laurels well; the half-backs are a strong feature of the eleven and they have converted Ramsay, of Sunderland into a good full back. Brooke was perhaps the weakness, but the young boys at outside left (Quinn and Wolf) who has had no experience of senior football, having come from a Sunday school minor team some three months ago, did exceptionally well. The report would not be complete without reference to the fact that Davies, Common and young O'Donnell stood up to their massive task with credit. Hart's misfortune was two-fold; he did not think he was playing White dropped out, and he had to go in –then he got a blow that will keep him out of the game for a week or so. Teams ; - Everton; - Davies, goal, Common and W. O'Donnell, backs, Robson Griffiths, Hart (captain), half-backs, Ritchie, Weldon, Wilkinson, Easton and Troup, forwards. Blackpool; - Wolf, goal, Grant, and Ramsey, backs, Watson, Tremelling and Bennion, half-backs, Quinn, Upton, Hamptson, Brooks, and Downes, forwards .

October 8 th 1929. Liverpool Post and Mercury
Everton and their players have been most unfortunate this season, seldom have I know so many casualties to first team men, and the result is that the club, has been handicapped from the start. It was pleasing to see Griffiths and Troup returning to the field in the Lancashire cup-tie with Blackpool yesterday, but it was obvious that they were short of practice, hunter hart was captain of the side, however, met with a nasty accident, the stud of an opponents boot causing a cut under the eye which necessitated a couple of stites, and although they are, hopes that hart will have recovery by Saturday, he may be marked a doubtful starter against Aston villa. Dean is by no means right yet, but I believe Virr is progressing.

October 9 th 1929. Liverpool Post and Mercury.
Everton face one of their most strenuous tasks of the season on Saturday, with weakened force they are due to tackle Aston Villa, at Birmingham. At a time when several of their leading players notably dean and Dunn are laid aside through injury. As a consequence a re-shuttle has been necessary and it is fortunate that Griffiths who went through the test against Blackpool well, is able to resume at centre-half, the Welshman thereby releasing white to take up the centre-forward berth. Critchley will partner Weldon on the right wing, Ritchie, who was the best of the forward against Blackpool being chosen in the reserves ranks. The team chosen is; Davies; Cresswell, O'Donnell; Robson, Griffiths, Hart; Critchley, Weldon, White, Martin, Stein. The injury sustained by Hart was rather severe, but it is expected he will be all right for Saturday. Dean has been unfortunate this term, and I do not expect he will be fit to play for at least a fortnight. The Reserves side to meet Wolverhampton Wanderers at Goodison Park on Saturday is; Sagar; Common, W. O'Donnell; Kelly, Rooney, Byron, Ritchie, Webster, Attwood, Easton, Troup. The Central League match with Bolton wanderers, due to be played today has been postponed.

Hunter Hart and Golf
Derby Daily Telegraph -Thursday 10 October 1929
An interesting suggestion that go! should be made compulsory for footbal players as part of their training has been made by Hunter Hart, the Everton F.C. captain.Hunter Hart, who is a clever golfer, holds the view that golf is a healthy recreation, and that players will derive benefit from the healthy exercise and fresh air obtainable from following the game of golf. He has suggested to the Everton directors that when there is no match on a Wednesday that day should be set apart for golf, and that it should be incorporated'in the training orders. At present when players turn up for training they go through the usual routine, and then there is the temptation to play cards or billiards. Hart contends that golf provides the best exercise for players, and that one day a week should be set apart for that game as part of the training regulations. Asked what about the position those who do not play. Hart thinks every player would take up the game, and even those who do not play might act as caddies for those who "take the pastime." understand the matter is under consideration by the Everton club. Mr. Tom Mcintosh, the secretary, says he all in favour of golf as providing a means of getting players into the open air. Golf is a fine game, but he did not think it could be made compulsory. Mr. Tom Crompton, chairman of the Liverpool club, thinks that the matter worthy of consideration. Golf is a fine healthy game and took the mind of the player off football, which was a good thing. The views of players are that professional footballers who had no business attend to during the week would benefit by playing golf. One international interviewed by our correspondent said "It will be a splendid thing If players went in more for golf and less for card playing and billiards." Most professional footballers play golf, and football clubs generally encourage their players to take up the game—but golf on Fridays is banned.

October 10 th 1929. Liverpool Post and Mercury.
The injury sustained by Dunn of Everton at Sunderland turn out to be more serious than was at first through. He is to undergo an operation to the instep, and went into hospital yesterday, for the purpose the club and the players have indeed been unfortunate and I understand the casualty list includes no fewer than twelve men. In the event of Hart not being able to take his place in the team on Saturday against Aston Villa, Wilkinson will take the centre-forward berth and White will drop back to left-half.

Arbroath Herald -Friday 11 October 1929
Forfar have shown great enterprise in securing the signature of Davie Raitt, the ex-Dundee and Everton full back, who has been given free transfer by Blackburn Rovers. He signed for Forfar last night. He will turn out in Braid's place to-morrow against East Stirlingshire at Forfar. Ibis should big “draw.”

Arbroath Herald and Advertiser for the Montrose Burghs - Friday 11 October 1929
Forfar have shown great enterprise in securing the signature of Davie Raitt, the ex-Dundee and Everton full back, who lias been given free transfer by Blackburn Rovers. He signed for Forfar last night. He will turn out in Braid's place to-morrow against East Stirlingshire at Forfar.

October 11 th 1929. Liverpool Post and Mercury.
The Everton has been called on by the Lancashire FA for an explanation as to why they did not play a full league side, in the cup-tie against Blackpool on Monday, the rules of the Lancashire cup competition states that a ‘'club shall play its full strength in all ties''. It may be point out, that Everton have a long list of injured players, but that six of the man who played against arsenal on Saturday, were included in the team against Blackpool. Other players who played in that match, white and J O'Donnell, were injured and couldn't turn out. Griffiths, who played against Blackpool is in the team to meet Aston Villa on Saturday, Troup is a first team man the actual reserves men included therefore are, Common, W O'Donnell and Easton.

October 12 th 1929. Liverpool Post and Mercury.
Everton and Aston Villa are still among the most attractive clubs in the League, and their meeting today, although somewhat spoiled by the fact that Everton are well below full strength, will be the customary large crowd at the Villa's luxurious enclosure. On paper, at any rate, the Midland team appears to be much stronger than that of Everton, the Aston half-back into providing a great obstacle to the visiting forwards. Still the Goodison Park men will make a bold bid against their powerful rivals even if they may not prove capable of holding the Aston Villa men to a draw. In the absence of Dean, Dunn, and probably Hart, it would be an excellent performance if Everton were to secure a point. Teams; - Aston Villa; Olney; Smart, Mort, J. Gibson, Talbot, Tate; York, Beresford, Brown, Walker, Chester. Everton; Davies; Cresswell, O'Donnell; Robson, Griffiths, White; Critchley, Weldon, Wilkinson, Martin, Stein.

Note W.C Dickie the Southport half-back has been transferred to Connan's Quay Dickie who was formerly with Everton went to Southport last season.

October 14 th 1929. Liverpool Post and Mercury.
By “Stock.”
Aston Villa defeated Everton 5-2, at Villa Park, but the score flattered the Midland side. With but ten minutes to play the Villa held, the slender lead of a goal, and Everton were playing so well that an equalising goal was not out of the question, but all in a flash the Villa forwards struck a brilliant vein, and put on three goals in six minutes, and what seemed likely to be a narrow victory was made to appear a comfortable win. The Villa were not in the slightest degree superior in the matter of football artistry, but they had the encouraging knowledge of a goal scored in two minutes and a second point in 22 minutes. They were smitten with a period of inertia, and when Everton scored through Martin, the Midland side sank into oblivion for a long spell; in fact, for 15 minutes Everton's goal was not assailed. During this period Everton provided high-class football and the home crowd became restive, and called for greater efforts from their own players, but right up to the interval Everton were in command, and even the Villa people had to admit, that they played excellent football and were distinctly unfortunate to be a goal in arrears. The Villa were in front simply because they had hit out when Everton were in the process of settling down. Yet one of their goals, Chester's penalty kick was questioned by Cresswell and White. Cresswell admitted handling Walker's shot, but he and others stated that the ball had been out of play just previously. That was undoubtedly a blow, but Everton's set out to retrieve their position, and if they had a leader who could have clinched the great work of Martin and Stein they would soon have been on level terms. I have never seen Martin play to greater purpose, while he had another shot that was luckily saved by Smart when Olney was a beaten man. Walker has a reputation of being one of the greatest inside-lefts playing, but he had to yield the honour to Martin in the first half. Martin worked the ball with skill and sought the unmarked colleague, and more often than not found him, and it was small wonder that Stein, well nursed, had a good match.

All went well until the last ten minutes; in fact, with the slightest but of luck Stein would have scored, for Olney was out of position when the winger shot on the angle of the woodwork; but it was obviously not Everton's day, and the Villa came along with their goal rush and won a game that had been full of interest, good football, and many thrills. Everton were far from disgraced. It must not be forgotten that Aston Villa were at full strength, whereas Everton lacked the services of Dean, Dunn and Hart. The first-named player, was the much-missed man, for Wilkinson was decidedly poor. He did not hold the line together, nor did he worry the tall Villa defenders. In fact, the centre-forward position was the one big weakness in the Everton team. Davies had a poor match. He might have saved at leasts two of the goals. No doubt he through Brown was offside (he appeared to be two yards offside), but he should never have allowed Brown to take the ball away from him.

The backs especially Cresswell, played a strong and sound game, and once Griffiths found the confidence -–e was some time in doing so –played well, and nearly added a goal to those scored by Martin and Stein, while White, until he was injured at the hour, was a good half-back, with Robson, up against one of the best wings playing –Walker and Chester –in the country. Robson not unnerved in the slightest degree. Brown scored three goals, the fruits of good shooting and the ability to snap up an opportunity. The Villa half-back line must be the tallest in the League. They are all round about 6ft, which made it awkward for Everton's attacking line. Talbot and Gibson were good, but Tate was only moderate, especially so in the opening half. Mort and Smart were rugged full backs, and more than once saved Olney. The order of scoring was Brown (2 minutes), Chester (penalty 22 minutes), Martin (25 minutes), Brown (75 minutes), Walker (83 minutes), Stein (85 minutes), and Brown (89 minutes). Teams ; - Aston Villa; - Olney, goal, Smart and Mort, backs, Gibson, Talbot and Tate, half-backs, York, Beresford, Brown, Walker, and Chester, forwards. Everton; - Davies, goal, Cresswell (captain) and O'Donnell, backs, Robson, Griffiths and White, half-backs, Critchley, Weldon, Wilkinson, Martin, and Stein, forwards. Referee Mr. Hull (Burnley).

October 14 th 1929. The Daily Courier
A goal by White midway through the first half, following a clever wing run by Ferguson, gave the Wanderers a creditable victory at Goodison Park. Everton were on top at the start, but finished badly. Common, O'Donnell (W), and Rooney were stalwart defenders. To the finish Everton's shooting lacked accuracy, although the Wolvers keeper saved a good one from Troup, and was fortunate to see an effort from Attwood strike the upright and travel across the goalmouth . Everton: - Sagar, goal, Common and W O'Donnell, backs, Kelly, Rooney, and Bryon, half-backs, Ritchie, Webster, Attwood, Easton, and Troup, forwards.

Liverpool county combination
At Woolton Road. The home side were more determined and were more dangerous in front of goal than their opponents. In the first half the visitors were very bad in their shooting, many chances being missed. On the resumption, however, goals were plentiful, both sides playing with more dash, and Rylands (2), Selairito (2), and Cayton scored for Watertreee, while Dyke (2), and Hanson (2) scored for Everton. Layland, as a defender, and Hanson, on the left wing, were outstanding for the visitors, and Rylands, Selairto, and Green worked hard for Wavertree.

Lancashire Evening Post-October 14 1929
Everton visted Bloomfield-aroad this afternoon to replay the second round Lancashire Senior Cup-tie. At the first meeting of the teams last Monday, at Goodison Park, Everton forced a draw in the last minute. Everton made six changes compared with their tide Saturday. Benton could not play because has a little fluid on the knee, and Tuffnell came into the Blackpool eleven. Teams Blackpool.—Welsh; Grant, Kamuiy; Watson, Tremelllng, Tuffnell, Quinn, Upton, Hampaon, Brooks, and Downes. Everton.—Davies; Common, O'Donnell: Kelly, Griffiths, White; Ritchie. Waldon, Wilkinson, Easton, and Troup. Referee: Mr. Caswell, Blackburn. Everton began in style very different from , Played last Monday. They used the ball splendidly in whole-line raids, and soon Easton was badly at fault with a centre from Troup. He ought to have scored with ease. Blackpool first were dashing rather than outstandingly clever, and though Tuffnell was cheered for tenacious tackling Ritchie, only a header from Brooks brought Everton any danger. After eight minutes, Blackpool took the lead with a goal finely scored. Hampson forced corner kick on the right, and Quinn dropped the ball into the goalmouth. It hung little in the wind and TREMELLING, racing forward, let slide off his head over crowd of players and into the net. This was Tremelling's third goal in consecutive games, and each one gave his side the lead. Blackpool pnsnd lot after thii. Some corner kick, gave the Everton defence great deal of trouble, and a few them were scrambled away very crude fashion. Blackpool had found their real form now.

Everton became more and more fluttered in defence, and Brooks and Upton both ought to have increased Blackpool's lead. The former player had an open goal to shoot at. Next Hampson made one of his characteristic long dribbles and found himself with only Davies to beat. The shot went slightly wide because Hampson was pushed by Griffiths. For long time Everton were quite inactive in attack. All the likelihood there was of goal was created by Blackpool, who found the Everton tackling stern stuff. Quinn twice was tripped and two defenders handled, but the free kicks were cleared. Ritchie, who used his considerable weight to great effect, was the finest raider Everton had. Like Wilkinson he seemed to lose his grip when within shooting range. Nearly half an hour had gone before Wolfe touched the ball when there was danger. A back pass Watson was the cause. It was Wilkinson who gave the crowd of about 9,000 nasty fright. made run like Hampson does, and then shot low as he was tackled. Wolfe made good saev, but Wilkinson followed his shot and gained corner kick. Griffiths headed over. Some of the offside decisions against Blackpool rather irritated the crowd, and then Wilkinson beat man sifter man to close with shot which Wolfe caught. Ritchie was very near the clearance was made.

A double clearance by Tuffnell, very close covering -of Hampson, and the gradual reorganisation of the Everton attack were features of the play afterwards. still held command, and one or two chances to score were missed. Young Quinn again was playing excellently. Growing confidence has brought with 'it improved ball control, and gave the Everton defence .very warm time. Wolfe was another man who was prominent. He made couple saves from Wilkinson and Ritchie that would have left most 'keepers helpless. HALF-TIME-BLACKPOOL 1. EVERTON 0.

The first moment of any note in the second half was made Hampson, who was neatly tripped on the edge of the penalty area as he was going through. Tremelfing, who took the free kick, shot over. The Blackpool defence was tested twice, and might have had more difficult time than it did. Everton found the small ground rather a handicap when long passes were made. When the half was 15 minutes' old Blackpool increased their lead. Brooks put a pass through to HAMPSON, who ran on till Davies and Common had covered him. Then he turned back and shot the ball over the keeper's head and into the net. This was a surprise move of high order. In the middle of the field the pace great. Movements either way opened very rapidly, and it was following one of these that Quinn, taking the ball first time, shot just over the framework.

Lancashire Evening Post-Tuesday 15 October 1929
Blackpool passed into the third round of the Lancashire Senior Cup competition, easily beating Everton, at Bloomfiold-rood, in game not nearly so good that which compelled yesterday's replay. Again Blackpool missed very many chances scoring. Everton played much better than they did when the clubs first met, but their forwards, of whom Ritchie and Wilkinson were best, shaped badly on the few occasion, when they got within shooting range. Indeed, both sides pleased most iheir defensive qualities. Blackpool's attack, in spite of the three goals, was not good in the inside forward positions, and much the best man in the line was young Quinn, who again beat his men with absolute ease. He made scoring chances for every forward. Tremelling gave Blackpool the lead. Thii has happened in three matches succession—surely a rare feat from any centre-half—and the only surprise about it is that he has not Softener. Blackpool's half-backs played well without extending themselves, especially Tufnell, who often was cheered for the tenacious way in which he tackled. Grant, Ramsay, and Wolfe completed defence far too strong for Everton. Wolfe, in spite of the small experience he has had, again kept goal admirahlv, and two of the saves he made from point-blank . range were models of sure handling and quick anticipation.

Blackpool's rearguard la very safe now. Everton gave little away in this phase of their work. In certain positions they were shade too vigorous for fancy; too ready play the men and leave the.ball to colleaguethat their football was-effective there was no doubt. But thia strength was not the cause of Blackpool s amazing waste of openings, which the recent past would have brought goals m Plenty In the next round Blackpool meet Bury at Gigg-lane on date still be arranged. WANDERER.

October 15 th 1929. Liverpool Post and Mercury
By “Bees.”
Everton passed out of the Lancashire Cup-tie by a score of 3-0, at Blackpool, yesterday, after a paltry display against the seaside club, which was truly an unlucky club a week before to find Wilkinson score an equalising goal in the last minute of play. Blackpool were comfortable winners, although the margin does not suggest this. They were well on top of their slow-moving and uncertain adversaries, and when one has made allowance for the deputies playing for Everton, the balance of complaint remains against the losing side, if one excepts their full backs, Grifiths at centre half, and Whyte, the ex-Blackburn Rovers player, who shaped quite well, and was a useful attacking half, if not so good as a defending half.

Everton played without conviction, fire, or shooting force and if Blackpool had been steady in front of goal this game might have produced a double figure deficit. A week ago Blackpool hit the crossbar five times in the first halt, yesterday, before 7,000 spectators, they danced through the Everton team, and near goal were the novices, shooting wildly and outrageously when two yards from goal. But at least they did shoot. That's where Everton as a side were rarely in the picture. Wilkinson was the chief raider of the first half, and two electrifying solo runs should have caught the imagination of his fellow players and inspired them to do something similar, instead of which there was a slothful movement on the part of some of the Everton players that suggested they were playing on their nameplates rather than on their football skill. This is harsh criticism, but necessary criticism and it is not stated with the object of minimizing the value of Blackpool's win, which was without debate well earned and well taken, the only taint in the home side's armour being their shocking shooting where a mere tap was necessary.

Tremelling, the centre half-back and former centre-forward, scored from a corner kick in nine minutes, which was about the period of the goal at Goodison Park. Hampson made No. 2 and a half-time score of 2-0, following a run out by Davies, who had not time to get back to take a ball that was entering the empty goal. Davies was beaten by a slow-moving ball when goal NO. 1 arose, and he has lost the intuition, which tells him when to go out towards a forward like Hampson. Near the finish Griffiths strained is left knee that had been operated on, and he rather foolishly returned to play when there was no special need and there was much risk attendant by his return. Easton hardly ever got his passes to his men. Weldon was likewise fragile, and Ritchie and Troup slow. It was a small attacking line and one without punch or direction in passing. O'Donnell and Common did well in the circumstances because the Blackpool left wing had a somewhat easy task. Hampson's final goal came three minutes from the finsh of a game in which Wilkinson did well entirely unaided, and Blackpool did well on the whole till they reached the goalmouth. There was a brightness and breeziness about Blackpool characteristic of the town. There is no point in individualizing except to say that Pufnall, the smallest man on the field, did very well as deputy for Benton. Tremelling was an excellent pivot, Wolf is a sharp, keen goalkeeper, and if the Blackpool forwards were poor in front of goal they certainly moved off in formed attack quickly and cleverly. Teams; - Blackpool; - Wolf, goal, Grant and Ramsey, backs, Watson, Tremelling and Pufnall, half-backs, Quinn, Upton, Hampson, Brooks, and Downs, forwards. Everton; - Davies, goal, Common and W. O'Donnell, backs, Kelly, Griffiths, and J Whyte, half-backs, Ritchie, Weldon, Wilkinson, Easton and Troup, forwards.

Everton News
Derby Daily Telegraph-Thursday 17 October 1929
There is very keen competition going on just now the football transfer market. Everton have been hunting for players for some time, but it seems to a case clubs either declining to part with men or putting a prohibitive price on them. Tom Macintosh, the Everton secretary, once remarked that he had only to blow his nose Glasgow for the price of handkerchiefs to advance! Well, Everton have the money and are prepared to spend it, but the Goodison club wants the right type. But they won't get any more Dixie Dean's at £3,500 each. That was a bargain. Well, Everton have recently had under review two left wingers and a left half back in By MAJOR JINKS the Southern section of the Third Division of the League, a centre-forward at present with a Northern Section club, and half-back now in the Second Division. There may be "something doing" before long. There was quite a gathering of football " heads " at Blackpool where Everton were the visitors the Lancashire Cup re-play. I understand representatives of the Watford club were there watching Easton, the Everton reserve forward. Another club had officials there taking a third impression " of a Blackpool half-back, Tremelling, who was a centre-forward before Hampson was secured as leader. Dean, the Everton centre forward, is in training again after having been absent from the side for some weeks through an ankle injury, and there are hopes that he will be able to play next Saturday against Blackburn Rovers. Dunn will soon be fit again after an operation for the removal of a bone splinter from the instep. Thus Everton should soon be at their normal strength.

October 17 th 1929. Liverpool Post and Mercury.
Everton meet Middlesbrough at Goodsion Park on Saturday, and in view of Cresswell's absence on international duty Common the full-back who has done so well in recent Lancashire cup-ties, will have an opportunity of again displaying his skill the football league football. I am glad to announce that dean will return to the side and it is hoped that the influence of the international centre-forward will be felt in the attacking line. Dean has been most unfortunates this season, and the supporters of the club hopes that he has thoroughly recovered. Griffiths is fit again and hart too resumes at left-half white is to play inside-right

The Everton reserves side to oppose Oldham athletic in a central league match at oldham, will included the son of the former Everton outside-right Sam Chedgzoy, he is to partner Wilkinson on the right. The team also includes Virr, who is rapidly recovering, Griffiths the centre-half is a youth who is on trail from one of the junior welsh clubs. The team is; - Sagar; W.O'Donnell, Kennedy; Whyte, Griffiths, Virr; Chedgzoy, Wilkinson, Attwood, Easton, Troup. The players meet at Exchange station at 11.35.

October 19 th 1929. The Daily Courier.
Every football enthusiast who visits Goodison Park today will watch with great keenness the form displayed by “Dixie” Dean, who returns to the Everton side after a spell of enforced illness owing to injury. Dean returns means as excellent “gate” and a higher hope of victory, for his bursts on the Middlesbrough goal will give an added confidence to the side which has been missing during resent weeks. Middlesbrough come with Camsell, who will be assisting England against Ireland, but the Blues will also be without the services of Cresswell, who has been entrusted to play the same match as the Middlesbrough leader. However, the home side are anxious to get on the right side once more, and a determined effort will be made this afternoon to collect two valuable points. Everton should be equal to the task, for Middlesbrough are not unbeatable, and have been dropping quite a few points at home. Common gets few chances of proving his worth in the Senior side, but he has an opportunity today owing to Cresswell's absence, and his play will be watched eagerly. He has been doing great work in the reserve side, and is not likely to let the side down. Another interesting happening is the reappearance of Jack Peacock now the Middlesbrough captain, who is making his first appearance of the season. Jack has played many fine games at Goodison, and his return to the scene of former triumphs will be a welcome one. Pease is another attractive member of the northern side, and although he will miss his great leader Camsell, he will surely do enough to show that he is worthy of his great reputation. The Blues have White at inside-right with Critchley as his partner, while Stein and Martin will one again operate on the left-wing. Well, here's to a good game, and Everton's first home win. The kick-off is timed for 3.15, when the following players will line up; - Everton; Davies; Common, O'Donnell; Robson, Griffiths, Hart; Critchley, White, Dean, Martin Stein. Middlesbrough; Mathieson; Ferguson, Ashman' Peacock, Elkes, McFarlane; Pease, Carr, Hall, McKay, Cameron.

October 21 st 1929. The Daily Courier
By The Pilot.
Everton gained their first home victory of the season on Saturday, when they defeated Middlesbrough by the odd goal of five at Goodison Park, before 35,000 spectators. The victory was one of the fortunate nature, for the visitors had served up football of a calibre better than that of the Blues, and owed their defeat to an offside equaliser. In the opening half the Evertonians enjoyed the balance of play, although their passing was never so accurate or methodical as that of the Borough, who had an uncanny instinct of finding their men with their transfers. As a purely passing quantity, the Blues were lacking, and that is the sole reason why I assert that the Borough were deserving of a point. In this, I pass over that extremely doubtful goal by which Dean maintained his record of a goal a match this season. A draw would nave been an equitable result, for, whereas the Evertonians were more often the dictators, they had not the same understanding as the visitors, and their transfer did not find their own men with the accuracy of the losers. Everton did not play badly. There is no mistaking this, but the Borough had that incisiveness which characterised the play of Manchester City when they won at the Park. There was more directness, more virility about the attack than that of the Blues, who were so apt to wallow in the gutter of indifference instead of being up and doing. Although goals count in the result, good, preconceived and tactical football must not be left out of the argument, and I admired the manner in which the Middlesbrough halves and forwards got down to a worthing understanding. There was not the same amount of collaboration about the Everton team. Some of their passing and combination bordered on the elementary and yet they gained the points.

Everton took the lead deservedly after 12 minutes when Martin thanked Dean for stepping out of the passage of a workable ball, so allowing him to hit the far corner of the net with a shot taken with quickness and accuracy. Everton's success was short-lived for within two minutes Pease had levelled matters with a brilliant left-foot shot. He had to thank Cameron and in a lessor degree, Carr for the opening, but when he saw it he took it with a vengeance. Only another four minutes had passed before Cameron placed the North-Easterners ahead. McKay allowed a free kick to run through to Cameron, who dribbled through to net as Davies ran out in a desperate effort to save. Subsequent play by the home side gave little hope of even of a point for though they enjoyed a territorial advantage, there was not the same understanding, the same tactics, the same precise execution that characterised the play of the Borough. Few people visualized an Everton victory at the stage and then, what I emphatically aver, was an error on the part of the referee gave the Blues their equaliser. O'Donnell took a free kick well outside the penalty area, but, as he ran so did Dean, and so when the ball reached the goalmouth Dean was standing out on his own. Mathieson raised neither hand nor leg to prevent the inevitable –a typical Dean header –and the visitors were surprised when the referee awarded a goal to the Blues.

Personally I though Dean was offside. I have heard Referee Brown is convinced that the entire Everton side was onside when the kick was taken, but I was lucky enough to have my eye on both the kicker and the men in the goalmouth, and I say that dean moved forward into an offside position before O'Donnell took the kick. Well the goal counted, and being, as I say, one, that should have been disallowed the heart was taken out of the Borough. At any rate they never had a look in after, for the Blues considerably encouraged, stepped forward in enterprising fashion, and with the majority of people anticipating a draw they snatched a victory. Dean was undoubtedly sandwiched and fouled when Critchley placed the ball across to scoring position, but when the majority of the home players appealed for a penalty, White the versatile, snatched at the loose ball and placed it into the net. The referee had no other course left open to him than to award a goal. Thus did Everton delight their supporters after a game brimful of thrills, good football and –well, endeavour sufficient to make the American tourists who were present really enthusiastic.

Seeing that they lacked the services of three of their best players, Middlesbrough put up a gallant and even scientific display. They had method and enterprise whereas the Blues relied more on speculation in finding their men. They would have won hands down, I do not doubt had they only given Dean the ball on the ground. Only once did he receive a workable ball –this was immediately on the resumption. For the remainder, he was valiantly striving to get the crudest of material to show a profit. Everton's down-the-middle passing was far too much of the R101 variety.

White, a gallant honest player, no matter the circumstance, was unable to accommodate himself to another new position as well as his well permitted and Martin was not such a potent force as is his usual wont. Consequently, it was left to the extreme wingers to create the openings the deadly openings and both Stein and Critchley did excellently both on ball control and centring. I know that White and Martin gave them plenty of opportunities, but there was a lack of ingenuity about the inside forward work. Robson was a tenacious tackler and althoughful baildistributor, and Hart worked purposefully all through. Griffiths sometimes lacked discreation when disposing of the ball, but had it not been for the whole-hearted play of the home intermediate line, the Borough must have secured that something tangible, which would have meant points.

Davies kept goal brilliantly –the manner in which he cut out centres was a treat to watch –but O'Donnell and Common rarely got down to a working understanding, though their play, when there was a clear field, was beyond criticism. Carr, the Middlesbrough inside-right, was the brainiest man on the field, and he had a penetrative and skillful partner in Pease. Cameron improved beyond measure from a poor opening. I might add that Camsell was sadly missed. Elkes played a grand game at centre-half, but the fact that the down the centre passes were mostly in the air helped him, and Macfarlane and Peacock were much better at construction than destruction. Ferguson was to my mind, the only faultless player on the field –his was a masterly exhibition. Ashman also did well, and Mathieson was a sound and agile custodian. The blues had that little portion of good fortune, which gave them the points. Well it is high time they had their share. They did not play dably, but, oh, so many passes went astray. Teams; - Everton; - Davies, goal; Common and O'Donnell; backs, Robson, Griffiths and Hart (captain), half-backs; Critchley, White, Dean, Martin, and Stein, forwards. Middlesbrough; - Mathieson, goal; Ferguson and Ashman, backs; Peacock (captain), Elkes, and McFarlane, half-backs; Pease, Carr, Hall, McKay, and Cameron, forwards .

October 19 th 1929. The Daily Courier.
Cresswell played for England against the Ireland at Belfast, England won 3-0. The attendance was 37,000, and the receipts £2,5000 (a record for an England International) Cresswell was delightful to watch.

October 19 th 1929. Liverpool Post and Mercury.
Everton Reserves were completely outplayed at Boundary Park, and Oldham Athletic Reserves well merited their 5 to 1 victory. Had the home inside men taken their many chances the score would have been heavier. Ormston, Taylor (2), and Murphy (2), scored for Oldham, and Attwood for Everton, who were handicapped by the loss of Kennedy early in the game through injury. O'Donnell was often overwhelmed . Everton; - Sagar; goal, W.O'Donnell, and Kennedy, backs, Whyte, Griffiths, and Virr; half-backs, Chedgzoy, Wilkinson, Attwood, Easton, and Troup, forwards.

George Mahon Cup.
At Crosby. Everton played the more open game, and were full value for their success. French performed the hat-trick from splendid centres by Liggins, and Hampson. Garvey (penalty) and Nicholls scored for Marine, and Dykes also netted for the visitors. Garvey and Almond at periods stood out for Marine, and the Everton half-backs showed good form.

October 23 rd 1929. Liverpool Post and Mercury
The Everton oppose Backburn Rovers on Saturday, when Cresswell will return to the side, the inclusion of the international being the only change from the team which defeated Middlesbrough. …Meanwhile Hanson is a promising amateur from the ‘'A'' and will play tonight for the reserves against Bolton Wanderers.

Lancashire Evening Post -Wednesday 23 October 1929
Southport goalkeeper, Robert Jones, whose departure bigger club was expected in view of his consistently good form, was transferred to-day to Bolton Wanderers. The fee is believed to run into four figures, though the amount is less than that paid by Manchester City for Tait when they took him from Southport. Jones was one of the tallest goalkeepers in the Third Division. He was with Everton originally, but they parted with him when they had several goalkeepers, among them Taylor, Davies, and Hardy. He was then youth 17 or 18 years, and created good impression when he made his appearance with Southport Reserves. It was not until the end of season 1927-28 that he was able to get a game with the League side, and then confirmed the opinions formed' about him in less important football. He made rapid progress, but Halsall, the regular custodian, maintained such good form that Jones had to be content with an occasional game with the League team until this season, when he was promoted.

Since then many First and Second Division clubs have taken an interest in him. Bolton have been keeping a keen lookout for a goalkeeper since Pym was put on the transfer list last month, for they were anxious to secure a capable substitute for Gill. Jones should fill the role well. Ho has a remarkable reach, fields cleanly in the air, and has the instinct for accurate timing well developed. His one weakness is that he has trouble occasionally in quickly disposing of ground shots. He is 6ft. tall, weighs about 12ist., and is in the early twenties. He is the second Southport player to be transferred this month for about three weeks ago Dickie, another ex-Everton player, was permitted to go to Connah's Quay.

October 24 th 1929. Liverpool Post and Mercury
By “Bee.”
Everton Reserves, yesterday, beat Bolton Wanderers Reserves by two goals to one in a game that was dull until the closing stages, when there was a stern fight for an equaliser, and some present thought it arose when a free kick was signaled against Everton, and the forward, after being onside when the ball was kicked, ran forward and headed through. The Referee said no, and by that means Everton Reserves took the day. They had a two goals lead through Easton scoring with a ball that Pym should have saved, and Ritchie made the second quite easily through a centre from the left wing. Ritchie had a penalty kick to take, and failed with it, and Bolton also had a penalty kick. Wagstaff converting with the ease one expects from these spot kicks now that the goalkeeper is ordered to “stand.” The first half was duel, and the second half showed Bolton using more discretion, and making good use of the ball. It is well, therefore, that Sagar did well in goal, and that Common and O'Donnell hardly ever put a foot wrong, albeit O'Donnell was not sure in direction, though hearty and lusty in his tackles and his clearances. Everton tried a young outside left named Hanson from the “A” team. He had not many chances, but he helped to make a goal, and his centres, when footed rightly, were of an acceptable character. There was little string in the Everton attack, which was small and finicky. Their half-backs however, were capable enough until the late stages, when Bolton crowded on their best efforts, and produced shots as well. Bolton had Pym in goal, and he had little cause for worry, for in front of him were two strong backs, Jennings being a veteran of precise positioning power. In addition Bolton had a rousing lanky forward named Hitchen at inside right. Neither wingmen, however, came into the picture, and Horridge was only playing his normal game late on. Thornborough as a wing half-back did not satisfy in the way he satisfies when he is at centre half-back. Teams; - Everton; - Sager, goal, Common and W. O'Donnell, backs; Kelly Rooney and Bryan, half-backs Ritchie, Easton, Wilkinson, Weldon, and Hanson, forwards. Bolton Wanderers Reserves; - Pym, goal, Wagstaff and Jennings, backs, Howarth, Parry, and Thornbourough, half-backs, Rimmer, Hitchen, Horride, Taylor, and Garner, forwards.

October 26 th 1929. Daily Courier.
Everton have a happy habit of doing well on the Blackburn ground, and their supporters are hoping they will do well again today. Blackburn are usually a tough proposition on their own ground, and the Blues are faced with no easy task. However, is in the side, and this means a lot to the Goodison team. He has scored in every match this season, and is naturally keen to keep up his fine record. Then Cresswell returns to the side, after his success in the International at Belfast and this will make a vest difference to the solidity of the side. His great experience and his cool, brainy tactics have their effect on the rest of the side, and I cannot believe that today's visitors to Blackburn are faced with anything like an impossible task. The match is expected to produce football worthy of the occasion, and I shall be surprised if Everton are not ready from the start. Teams; - Everton; Davies; Cresswell, O'Donnell; Robson, Griffiths, Hart; Critchley, White, Dean, Martin, Stein; Blackburn Rovers; Crawford; Hutton, Jones; Imrie, Rankin, O'Dowd; Crompton, Puddeffot, Roscamp, Groves, Turner.

October 26 th 1929. The Liverpool Football Echo.
United had Reid at centre-forward. Manchester failed to maintain the warm pace set, and after Sagar had made a couple of good saves from Warbuton and Reid the Everton forward found methods for counteracting the offside tactics resorted to by Inglis and Silcock and became a lively force. Chester saved from Troup (twice), Easton, and Wilkinson. It was Rooney who provided Easton with the pass from which he opened Everton's score. Rooney was convincing at centre-half. The Manchester goalkeeper had some lively periods because the Everton forwards were shooting vigorously and frequently. Half Time Everton 1 Manchester United 0. No more details.

Lancashire Evening Post -Monday October 28 1929
The meeting of those old Lancashire rivals, the Rovers and Everton, did not disappoint those who went expecting see some good football and it was still more satisfactory to Blackburn because it brought a win for which they had waited a month. At one time such a result did not seem likely. The Rovers were not pressing on their trim and methodical advances with the power they showed later and their opponents not only had an even share of the play out obtained a lead. It was here that Everton found the luck turning against them. Hunter Hart, a masterful figure in the first half, was hurt and Pent most of the second half uselessly hobbling about near the touch line. And there is no doubt that the disorganising effects this misfortune contributed much to the Rovers' recovery The circumstances have a curious parallel. One last saw Everton Ewood two seasons ago when Dean was a vastly different personality from the slower-moving figure whom Rankin and Hutton almost blotted out this time. Then, now, Dean had opened the scoring of the then League leaders. And, again, as on Saturday, Everton's left half —Virr, I think it waswas hurt, was off the field when two quick goals put the Rovers in front, became a passenger, and eventually retired. Everton, as two vears ago, lost by two goals. The big difference, if memory serves, wag that is was a much more thrilling match. Dean on Saturday was not the rital, thrusting force of his 60-goals season and much of the football in the first half, if instrinsically good amd times academic, was irresolute. expert back play. None the less it was a game which showed the Hovers to well-knit, composod, swift-moving side requiring only a properly-tempered head to really effective. Both O'Dowd and Irmie were strong attacking halves with fine forcing stylo that lent itself to challenging Jones. Imrie ought to be a power in the Cup-ties his brisk action develops. O'Dowd's clean-cut work impressed, but he would please his admirers more by refraining from boring “with the arms. Puddefoot employed deft touches the assurance and command that long expenence bring, and in the Turner-Groves wmg tne Royers had match-winning pair. Turner, compact and competent, operated vmn decision and without fuss, and bis partner, opened the scoring for the Rovers, madehimself even more conspicious by his ability to develop an opening and to get out of difficulties quickly. For effectiveness he had no superior. Crompton did not shine until Hart had disappeared, after which he did many fruitful things promising fashion. But the real feature was the polished full back play of Cresswell and Jones, and the ingenuity and resource the ponderous Hutton, whose anticipation of position helped mussle Dean and afforded Jonee moat reliable covering. Until Cresswell felt the train and committed indiscretions he plaved,as it were, to "the book—ooo, effortless, ana impertur*hle, and Jones, a faster back, wag equally brilliant. VIATOR.

October 28 th 1929. The Daily Courier.
By the Pilot.
Penalties are proving costly to Everton this season, for following the one conceded at Villa Park, which gave Aston Villa the encouragement to go on and win, a penalty –but a doubtful one –led to Blackburn Rovers defeating the Blues by three goals to one at Ewood Park, on Saturday. The sides were level when groves, the clever Blackburn inside-left, was racing through on his own. Cresswell came in to tackle him, and did so successfully, making the ball run forward in such a manner that no-one could have overtaken it. As he tackled, Cresswell went down practically on all fours, and the oncoming Groves merely fell over the small of his backs. There was not the slightest intention to foul, and strictly speaking, there was none, for Groves could not stop himself. Still, Referee Botham gave a penalty kick , from which Hutton easily scored. There were only a few minutes left for play then, and it was small wonder that the heart was taken out of the Blues. Everton were unfortunate to return pointless, for throughout the first half they had much the better of the game. They progressed by better football methods than the Rovers, who all through relied on kick and rush measures rather than combined endeavour. The opening exchanges were far from thrilling, but as the game advanced the Blues gradually improved, and when they took the lead after 32 minutes with Dean's usual, they went on to do all the dictation. This goal was excellently worked for, and savoured of perfect understanding and accuracy. Martin's persistence enabled him to trick Rankin and Imrie before he swung the ball far out to Critchley. Critchley drew Jones and nonchalantly slipped the ball through to White, who had run into the outside-right position. He crossed admirably to Dean, Standing near the far post, and the leader coolly brought the ball down with his chest and banged it home. This was the signal for the firework display, and Everton always promised more goals. That they did not get them was not their fault. First Martin hit the foot of the post with a surprise shot, and then Stein cut in to crash a beauty against the bar.

The Blues thoroughly deserved to cross over in the lead, and they continued to force the issue on resuming. However, it was apparent that Hart was severely handicapped by a leg injury he sustained earlier on, and so with the intermediate play being affected, the Rovers gradually improved. Their storming tactics led the Everton, defence to become rather desperate and wild at times, and it was fortunate that Cresswell could keep a level head in the circumstances. Then Griifths had a lapses –a temporary one –and Groves' equaliser after 62 minutes was not unexpected. Hart could not tackle Crompton, owing to his injury and the winger –who had been a negligible quantity in the first half –delivered a lovely centre, which Groves headed into the net by throwing himself out. The Rovers' ascendancy continued, and Hart went to outside-right, where he was still helpless. Gradually, however, the Blues recovered their balance, and Dean twice went within an ace of scoring. Once he headed to Crawford's left as the goalkeeper was moving the other way, and it was cruel fortune to see the ball strike Crawford's outstretched arm when he had an idea of saving. Everyone had become reconciled to a draw when the referee erred, and placed the home side in a match winning position. The penalty took all the fight out of the Blues, and Blackburn marched on to register a brilliant third goal through Roscamp, who worked his own opening from Irmie's pass and beat Davies all wends up. One can quite believe that Ewood is not one of Everton's lucky grounds after this –they have not won there since the war –but to put up such a fine fight with a passenger for the greater part, and then only succumb through the medium of an undeserved penalty is a creditable performance. Their first half showing was worthy of a point and had the gods smiled on them with some of their scoring efforts they would have gained both. Their finishing was infinitely superior to that of the Rovers, who had not the alertness to snap up chances even when they were riding on the crest of the wave. The Blues had displayed better combination and their football was superior to that of the home team, who forsook skill for speed and virility. When the Rovers were in their merriest mood the Everton defence was often nonplussed, and it was in this respect that Cresswell proved of such inestimable value. He was never flustered and was able to cover up the wild efforts or some of his colleagues. Cresswell was the best back on the field, and certainly the outstanding Evertonians. Davies kept goal excellently and seems to be regaining some of his confidence in leaving his charge. He had no chance with the shots, which beat him. O'Donnell was forceful enough and kicked a good length, but he was too prone to place his goal in jeopardy by dwelling on the ball inserted of giving it air. The half-backs were a level line until Hart was injured, although Griffiths had a short lapse. Otherwise he was a striking personality his heading being akin to wonderful. Robson was a big success, especially in the first half. He would never admit defeat and displayed fine recovery and tackling powers. Hart did well until incapacitated.

Stein was the pick of the forwards and is the most improved player in the side. He could leave Hutton standing, and the manner in which he finished his work –invariably in the right way –was most encouraging. Critchley also played with thought and decision, and rarely failed to open up the path for the insides. Dean is still handicapped by his ankle injury and was able to accomplish more with his head than his feet, but White and Martin were zealous workers who were always on the look-out for a scoring chance. The Blackburn backs were sound, but Crawford did not strike me as being any too reliable. His positional play was faulty. Rankin was a tower of strength in the pivotal position but for the brainy football one had to look to Groves as artistic schemer. Crompton a potent factor after the interval, and Puddefoot dribbled skillfully. The Rovers can consider themselves lucky that they won this curate's egg-like match; in fact, I feel convinced that had Hart been fit all through they would have gone under. Teams; - Blackburn Rovers; - Crawford, goal; Hutton and Jones, backs, Imrie, Rankin, and O'Dowd, half-backs, Crompton, Puddefoot, Roscamp, Groves, and Turner, forwards. Everton; - Davies, goal; Cresswell and O'Donnell, backs, Robson, Griffiths, and Hart (captain), half-backs, Critchley, White, Dean, Martin, and Stein, forwards.

October 30 th 1929. The Daily Courier.
Everton are compelled to make a change in their team to meet Newcastle United at Goodison Park on Saturday (kick-off 3.0), owing to Warney Cresswell's selection by the Football League for the match with the Scottish League at Glasgow on the same day. Common again is called on to fill th4e breach. Supporters will be gratified to learn that Hunter Hart, the captain, is considered to be sound enough for the struggle with the rugged Newcastle men. He was hurt at Blackburn on Saturday last, when, owing to a leg injury, he had to go to the outside-right position. Newcastle are small fry these days and have yet to gain a point in an away engagement. They lost at home to Bolton Wanderers last week, when Hutchinson was deputising for Gallacher, but Hughes return to the attack will make for strength and efficiency. Everton easily won the corresponding match last season, the scores being 5-2. Everton will be represented by the following; - Davies; Common, O'Donnell, backs; Robson, Griffiths, Hart; Critchley, White, Dean, Martin, Stein. Newcastle are likely to pick the following; McInroy, Maitland, Thomson; Harris, Hill, McCurley; Boyd, Chalmers, Gallacher, McDonald, Urwin.

Everton Central League team to oppose Stockport County at Stockport on Saturday will be as follows; Sagar; Kennedy, W. O'Donnell; Kelly, Rooney, Bryan; Ritchie, Easton, French, Weldon, Troup.





October 1929