Everton Independent Research Data



September 2 nd 1929. The Daily Courier.





Everton and Bolton Wanderers have every reason to be well satisfied with their season's debut, for they had the honour of participating in a rousing clean and thoroughly entertaining encounter at Goodison Park, and rightly shared half a dozen goals. The result was in doubt right up to the final kick, and though last minute goals must come as a shock to a home crowd, few of the 45,000 spectators present begrudged the Wanderers their success through Blackmore, when only seconds were required for the long whistle. Neither side required any time to settle down and this accounts for the comparatively early goals. The Wanderers were the first to taste blood with a typical Blackmore goal. Davies had conceded a corner off Sneddon, and he fisted Butler's cross hip-high to the Bolton leader. The ball came awkwardly to Blackmore, but he dexterously shot up his left foot and fired the ball as hot speed into the net roof.


That was after six minutes, but the Blues were on terms again five minutes later, when Dean did the necessary following fine play by Martin. Martin started the movements, and when he received back from Stein he cleverly beat two men before slipping the ball forward for Dean to shoot low into the net from a narrow angle. The next goal came after 23 minutes, Dean again being the score. What a goal, Too! Stein flashed across a fast, head-high centre, and Dean ran to the penalty spot flick it with his forehead into the corner of the net, with Pym having no chance off saving. It was a brilliant effort, and it is doubtful whether anyone else except Dean would have got it.


The Trotters knocked off the arrears with a shot, which easily have been intended for a centre. Butler was well out on the right wing when he lobbed the goalwards as O'Donnell ran in to tackle. Apparently Davies was not expecting a shot, for he threw up his hands too late to prevent the ball dropping just under the bar. Yes, this goal was the outside chance, which came off. It was a dour battle them on, and had not Nuttall slipped up when Kelly was juggling it is doubtful whether Ritchie would have been enabled to land across such a dangerous centre when Stein headed low into the net while going at top speed. This was after 67 minutes and was the fruit of quick action on the part of the men concerned. Odds would have been laid on Everton repeating their success of the last season when the minutes sped by and there were still no more goals, but when the people were pouring out of the ground Butler received when faced by O'Donnell. Everyone expected O'Donnell to hold the winger off, but when Butler made a feint. O'Donnell turned his back on him and retreated so that Butler was able to centre low for Blackmore to score comfortably.


The Blues, it is true, enjoyed the Balance of play early on, but the game reached a just level, and the combination of both sides approached perfection at times. Again, Everton had more opportunities of scoring, but in this respect Martin simply could not get direction, though he never once hesitated when even the most slender chance presented itself. Butler, for the Wanderers also missed two good chances when unmarked, but the best he could do was to rattle the crossbar. The half-backs really controlled the game, for they managed to keep a tight grip on the respective attacks, and at the same time give their own front lines the essential support in the matter of judicious passes. The Dunn-Ritchie wing always had a good understanding, but Nuttall –a magnificent player –made it his special mission to frustrate them, and so a deal of the “sting” was taken out of the wing. The same thing happened to the Butler-McClelland duo. Hart held the mastery over them from start to finish, and never placed a foot wrong.


White came out of an exacting test in the pivotal position with immense credit. He had no pretentious to cleverness, but he adopted the line of least resistance every time, and did not stand on ceremony. Hart was a success, and Kelly worked like a Trooper all through to the common weal. The outstanding player was undoubtedly Cresswell. His exhibition of cool, methodical, and brainy back play could not have been improved upon, and he was always a match for the Shrewdness of Gibson and the wiliness of Cook. Dean demonstrated that he is once again going to be a potent force, for besides getting his goals cleverly he with skill, and was always worrying. Howard and Finney, Blackmore lacked the virility of Dean, but his shooting was deadly and he glided away some glorious passes to the wings.


Martin was a zealous forager and a crafty opening-creator who never once called on his partner, Stein, without receiving what he asked. Stein adopted go-ahead, first time methods, which paid, and save for the fact that some of his centres fell too near Pym, he did little wrong. Dun and Gibson vied with each other in subtle play and delicate passing, bit it was the teamwork of either side, which pleased so much. If they continue in this way they will have little cause to worry. Justice was done with the division of the points. Teams : - Everton; - Davies, goal, Cresswell and O'Donnell, backs, Kelly, White, and Hart (captain), half-backs, Ritchie, Dunn, Dean, Martin, Stein, forwards. Bolton Butler, McClelland, Blackmore, Gibson, and Cook, forwards. Bolton Wanderers: - Pym, goal, Haworth, and Finney, backs, Kean, Seddon, and Nuttall, half-backs, Butler, McClelland, Blackmore, Gibson, and Cook, forwards.


Everton's form on Saturday suggests a more cheerful result in their match today with Burnley than that in the corresponding game last season, when the Turf Moor side won by two clear goals. The Blues' away from, however, has yet to be seen this season, but the signs indicate that the Lancashire clash at Turf Moor today will be drawn.



September 2 nd 1929. The Daily Courier.


In a game that see-sawed much, Everton were deserved winners at Burnley, though they home forwards error to thank for winning by three goals top nil in the first twenty minutes Burnley were the better team, and only Sager's grand defence prevented them getting well in front. Walmsley, a young amateur brought in because two regular goalkeeper's were injured, let one thought his hand, and help later caused him to let another through. Lewis had a kneecap injured. The goal's scorers were, Kennedy, Easton and Attwood. Everton: - Sager; goal, Common and W. O'Donnell, backs, Robson, Kennedy, and Rooney, half-backs; Critchley, Wilkinson, Attwood, Easton, and Lewis, forwards.


September 2md 1929. The Liverpool Post and Mercury.

Liverpool county combination

The Everton team had better understanding than the home side, and at half-time led by two goals, scored by Dugmore and McMutrie. In the second half Skelmersdale improved, and Gardiner and Speakman put the home team level. However, Everton outstayed their opponents, and Dugmore added two further goals. Chedgzoy was prominent in Everton attack and W. Birch was Skelmersdale best player.


BURNLEY 1 EVERTON 1 (Game 3012)

September 3 rd 1929. The Daily Courier.






For the second time in this short season a last minute goal robbed Everton of a point, for after leading Burnley at Turf Moor until neat the end they conceded a doubtful goal following a free kick with only seconds remaining for play. It seemed almost impossible for the home side to draw level, but they were awarded a free kick about two yards outside the penalty area. McCluggage ran up to take this, but his dropping shot was fisted out by Davies. Unfortunately for the Blues, the ball hit against two Burnley players at the same time as Davies was bundled into the net, and Mantle according to the Everton players, took the ball into the net with his hands. They appealed to the referee on this account, but the goal was allowed.



Burnley nearly obtained another goal from the kick-off, but O'Donnell kicked away from the goal-line. It was not a good game to watch, there being far too much touch kicking. The Blues were not to blame for this, as they generally gave the line of least resistance and aimed for the outfield. The ball was out of play as much as it was in it. The Everton goal came after 23 minutes as the result of a lovely shot by Stein. A free kick also led to this. O'Donnell placed one across the goalline from the touchline and Attwood helped it across to Ritchie. Ritchie drew the ball back a yard and then middled right to Stein, who drove the ball into the net along the ground from ten yards' range. Burnley had more of the play than the Blues, but they were hopeless in front of goal. In the first half Mantle missed from seven yards with only Davies to beat, and later tapped wide with no one in the goal at all. Still, Burnle's forwards made ground quickly and cleverly, but when it came to applying the finishing touches they were absolutely inept.


Everton were not so well together as they were on Saturday, but they were not opposed to such a clever team as Bolton, and they were somewhat reduced to the level of Burnley, who generally relied on the big kick, and the swift rush to carry them near goal. Still, their forwards were nippy and always promised goals. Everton showed up best immediately after the interval, and Downs had a number of tricky shots to deal with, which crowned scientific approach work. Dunn and Martin worked like Trojans and created some lovely openings for the wingers. Dunn in fact was the cleverest forward on view. Attwood, who took the place of the injured Dean, did not get many opportunities, but he shot well when the chance came. Stein again played splendidly, and Ritchie showed improvement on Saturday's form, for he got down to his game with greater willingness and furnished some terror laden centres.


Of the intermediates White was outstanding in his unorthodox way. Hart was handicapped by a blow on the cheek, and Rooney came out of a trying battle with the nippy Devine-Fitton wing with credit. The defence was one, which gave nothing away. Cresswell was a cool general, and O'Donnell proved a rare tackler and intervenor. Davies had not a great deal to do, but effected some clean, cool saves near the end, when the home side were able to get on the target. Teams :- Burnley: - Down. Goal, McCluggage, and Waterfield, backs; Brown, Bowsher, and Forrest, half-backs; Bruton, Wallace, Mantle, Devone, and Fitton, forwards. Everton; - Davies, goal, Cresswell and O'Donnell, backs; Rooney, White, and Hart (captain, half-backs; Ritchie, Dunn, Dean, Attwood, Marton, and Stein, forwards.


Lancashire Evening Post -Tuesday 3 September 1929


A last-minute goal, the result swerving ball during scramble rebounding into the net off Mantle's chest, enabled the weakened Burnley team save a point in their opening match at Turf Moor with Everton. The visitors* protest that the young leader had handled, was unavailing. But, if anything, they themselves were fortunate to hold a narrow lead for almost three parts the game; indeed the tactics resorted to the last half became farcial. True, Burnley missed at least four good openings, whereas Everton, against the run of the play, seized their solitary chance almost midway in the opening half, Troup's deputy, Stein, scoring easly from a crossfield pass. Previously the home side—captained by McCluggage in the absence of Storer, owing to a wrenched knee—was imbued with fine spirit and moved the bail excellently, a tribute the work of dominant young half-backs. However, the advantage achieved the earlier raiding which, so it seemed, was greatly appreciated by the clever Scottish inside men, Wallace and lie vine, did not profit Burnley. A failure, curiously, arose out of Mantle's eagerness to do himself justice. His courage was admired, yet be was impetuous on the occasions when resource would have given him real prominence.


Thus poor finishing stood out striking contrast Burnley's other qualities, especially as wing men, Bruton and Fitton, too, wore' remiss near the goal. Fortunately, uphill fighting was built over mistakes, hence the expediency of relentless defence, which the visitors ultimately display - Cresswell and O'Donnell showed rare judgment for so long that it was aggravating to the crowd when the ball was repeatedly kicked out of play. Presumably Everton, or so it seemed, did not really trust themselves in attack without Dean, although the latter's place was filled by a sturdy and capable substitute Attwood, formerly of Wallsall, who was well prompted the start. Burnley again showed solidity in defence, McCluggage's zeal and industry setting splendid example to his colleagues. The Irishman, in the end, was recompensed, seeing that his side's belated equalising goal followed a free kick perfectly placed by him. Devine's craft and ball skill proved outstanding during Burnley's closing rally which caused Everton's spoiling tactics to react them so dramatically. CALDER.



Burnley News -Wednesday 4 September 1929

Burnley Reserve were unfortunate -having to open the season with much depleted team consequent on four the selected players being requisitioned to till places the League eleven. Last-minute changes had made in all department*, and, a result, the team was Jacking in the balance and understanding which stood the Everton eleven good stead. Moreover, the gift goal which enabled Everton 'to secure the lead ten minutes from start had unsettling effect the home side, for up to the bad slip by Waknsley in fielding a long shot Kennedy, Burnley had done most of the pressing, and Heslop and Chambers had given promise some effective wing play. Indeed was ail against the run the game when Everton obtained their soft goal, and even after this piece ill-luck Burnley more than held their own to the interval, but could not effectively round off their attack, which mainly came from the right wing. Well Sagar acquitted himself- in the Everton goal, however—and certainly did well to save shots, from Heslop, Pemberton, Chambers, Ross and Forrest—Burnley worked several openings which were thrown away by bad shooting from close range, Further misfortune befel Burnley just before the interval when Chambers, who had co-operated with Heqp in several good movements, received leg injury which rendered him passenger for the remainder of the game. - The second half had been in progress ten minutes when Easton increased Everton's lead, and soon afterwards misunderstanding between the home backs enabled Attwood to score third goal. gave good display centre, hut, the second half particular, received Tittle support from his wing men. The left-wing pair were weak, and are capable much better work. The halves were erratic times, and were inclined overkick their forwards. Heap was the more reliable back. Walmsley made one or two serious mistakes, but, the other hand, he effected some smart clearances. With more confidence, which will come from experience, may develop into Useful custodian. The accident which befell.Lewis, the -Everton outside left, fortunately proved to not serious as was at first feared. Taking the game whole, deserved to win, but hot by margin of three clear goals. .Teams: —Burnley- Reserve: Walmsley; Knox, Heap; "Conway Hunt, Forrest; Heslop, Chamber, Ross, Clough. Everton Reserve: Sagar; Common, O'Donnell; Robson, Kennedy, Rooney; - Wilkinson, 'Attwood,Easton, Lewis. Referee : Mr. G. Twist, West-Houghton.


September 4 th 1929. The Daily Courier


Everton have put their cards on the table as far as the great clash with Liverpool, at Anfield on, Saturday is concerned. Their supporters will be cheered to know that Dean and Kelly, who were hurt in the match with Bolton Wanderers on Saturday, and were not in the team that drew at Burnley on Monday, return to the fold, displaying Attwood and Rooney. There are no other changes.

White's great work at centre half-back is recognised, and he is retained in that position. Everton won both matches last year 1-0 at home and 2-1 away. The Goodison club will field the following on Saturday, the kick-off is at 3-15. Davies; Cresswell, O'Donnell; Kelly, White, Hart; Ritchie, Dunn, Dean, Martin, Stein.


The Reserves team of the great rivals, will clash on the same day also, at Goodison Park (Kick-off 3-15), the home side being as follows. Sager; Common, W. O'Donnell; Robson, Kennedy, Rooney; Critchley, Easton, Wilkinson, Weldon, Collins.

Collins will play for the Reserves on Saturday, against Liverpool Reserves. Collins is a young player from the “A” team.


Derby Daily Telgraph -Friday 6 Setember 1929

Everton Football club has again signed John White a half-back who was for two years Blackburn Rovers and previously with St. Johnstone.



September 6 th 1929. The Daily Courier.


Everton defence will be strengthened by the signing of John Whyte, a bustling right of half-back, who has been two seasons with Blackburn Rovers. He was previously with St. Johnsone, the Scottish League team. He is 5ft 10in, in height and weights 12st.



September 7 th 1929. The Daily Courier.




By Ijay

Anfield probably will be the Mecca of 50,000 football enthusiasts today, when the great clash between Liverpool and Everton will be staged. It is always difficult to form an opinion of the possible result of a Derby game, and one is always liable to make enemies with a forecast not favourable to a particularly crowd's team. However, I am going to take the risk and plump for Liverpool, whole great second half display against Huddersfield Town augurs well for the future. The forwards were having their first run of the season in the new positions, and as up result it took them some time to settle down, when they had done so they produced brilliant form, and it will take a great defence to hold them today if they adopt the same open methods. Everton of course, are unbeaten, but they are also awaiting their first victory. It is possible that it will come today, but in selecting Liverpool I am expecting Davidson and Jackson to hold the great Dean, in which case the Liverpool vanguard may be unbalanced.


A lot will depend on the two defenders, and while there is little or nothing between the full backs I thank Liverpool, have the stronger middle line, and it is in their department that the issue may rest. Everton have a strong set of forwards, but their finishing *Dean excepted) are not as quite as good as that of the Anfielders. One thing is certain, we are going to see a great match played by two sporting teams, who will not sacrifice skill for kick and rush methods. Whatever will be the outcome I think we shall see a close game and may the luck be equally divided and the spoils go to the better side. The kick off is at 3-15 and the teams will line up as follows Liverpool; Riley; Jackson, Done; Morrison, Davidson, McDougall; Edmed, Clark, Hodgson, Race, Hopkins. Everton; Davies; Cresswell, O'Donnell; Kelly, White, Hart; Ritchie, Dunn, Dean, Martin, Stein.

Dunn and Ritchie

Dundee Courier -Monday 9 September 1929

NOW this thought came mind when saw a recent pair of Scottish wingers crucified. Dunn and Ritchie had been " birded " to such extent that it was plain there might be a right wing change from their club. The directors would not pick Dunn in case he was treated, by the crowd with that indignity that makes play impossible to a barracked player. DUNN and Ritchie talked the matter over and the club talked the matter over. The usual cry that "to play well there you have to play to Dean " was a story served up in Scotland, was an utter lie, for down at the club they know Dean's ability, but they look upon him as the least selfish centre who ever played. It was plain Dunn must go. The price paid for him was severe. Everton rarely get their money back or even a part of it; now they looked like dropping mint of money. No one came along with any suggestion of a solid bag of gold. Newcastle thought of the matter in an idea of an exchange. There was talk of a Scottish club taking a hand in the transfer. all came to' nought.

THE new season broke in a sweat of summer weather and sunny skies, and now the grey skies for Dunn and Ritchie have passed. They don't mind the grey skies; they have won through, and Everton would not part with either of then now for any amount that might both offered. Dunn is doing lot of really fine grafting work. He is not working hard; he is just doing the one-tap business that suits him. He makes the game, and he commands the defence to the extent that he draws the defender away from Ritchie and Dean, and they have the better chance shoot without hindrance.


September 9 TH 1929. The Daily Courier.





By the Pilot.

The first of the Merseyside duels between Liverpool and Everton is over. Everton have delivered the K.O.-they won by three clear goals at Anfield, and deservedly so. It was a good; hardly sporting enough to be classed among the never-to-be-forgotten, but nevertheless, an encounter, which thrilled the 50,000 spectators, and kept them on tip-toes till the sound of the final whistle. Everton were the better team. Even the most partisan Liverpool supporters would admit this. From a purely football standpoint, the Blues held the whip-hand. Now, it must be remembered that for an hour Liverpool plodded along without the aid of Clark –the brains of the attack. This, in itself, was a tremendous handicap, but even while he was on the field –it was his own fault that he left –the Blues were much better able to play the game as it should be played. It boils down to this –Everton never became flustered by the occasion, and Liverpool, on the other hand, adopted storming tactics which beat on the Everton rocks like waves on Land's End. The first half was an even affair, yet the Blues gained two goals and walked off at the interval like turkey cocks. There was an element of luck about both those goals, but I must disagree with a section of the watchers when they assert that Dean never tried to score when he netted the initial point. Dean had his back to Riley's charge when Martin placed the ball cross to him, but the Everton leader did not trouble to kill it and turn round. He merely hooked it over his head, and lo and behold! Riley was caught at the other end of the goal, and the ball sneaked just a foot inside the far post.


Strangers might well have imagined that Dean was attempting to feed Ritchie, but those who know England's sharpshooter realised that he was taking one of those lone chances which have earned him correct recognition by the selectors. His second point taken after 41 minutes –the opening goal came after 16 minutes –savoured a little of fortune. Still, he was able to act while other as contemplated. Ritchie's centre was gathered by Riley cleanly enough, but when Dean ran to challenge the goalkeeper, the South African allowed the ball to slip through his hands and legs. It dropped only a matter of inches from the line and Jackson was left to look at it. He appeared to be fascinated. At any rate, he never moved until Dean had stepped across and placed the ball into the back of the net. In ordinary circumstances one would have gambled that Riley would have held to the ball, or that Jackson would have sent it sailing to the touchline, but this was just the occasion when the enterprise and quick action of Dean upset them. The third goal, coming after 83 minutes, exemplified the coolness of Martin, who lifted the ball over the heads of players into the net after Riley had become unbalanced in clearing Stein's corner kick.


It was a clean-cut victory, proving that good preconceived football will inevitably predominate. Everton never once forsook their policy of making the ball do the work, and throughout they were as cool as a cucumbers. Liverpool had a victory over Huddersfield to encourage them, and they endeavoured to apply the whole-hearted spirited tactics, which earned them points last Wednesday, but in so doing, they forgot all about constructive football, and, as a result suffered. The one man who could have leavened this enthusiastic play with that contribution of thoughtfulness was Clark, and he went off the field some minutes before the interval with a leg injury which kept him in the dressing-room for the remainder of the game. Had it not been for the far-seeing brain and sprightliness of Hart, it would have been he and not Clark who would have been off, for just after Hart and Hodgson had been engaged in a “difference” in the Everton goalmouth. Davidson and Clark obviously tried to sandwich Hart, but Hart stepped out of the way and Davidson's studs appeared to meet Clark ‘s knee.

Liverpool were faced with what proved to be an insurmountable obstacle in the second half –ten men and a two-goal deficit. Everyone knows that they tried hard enough, but their spasmodic efforts were unless against a defence which had a complete understanding. Everton had fully 80 per cent of the play in the second half, and it was only the demon-like tackling of Jackson and Done which kept them at bay. What a pity it is that these backs cannot use the ball in a scientific a manner as they get it. Done was not such a great sinner as Jackson in this respect. Liverpool had plenty of chances to score, but Hodgson, Race and Edmed were at fault in delivering shots. Twice inside a minute shots delivered from easy shooting distances were nearer to the corner flags than in goal. The Reds were in a state of frenzy, and everyone knew long before the final whistle sounded that they were a beaten side. Everton can take credit for a fine victory, and it was pleasing to see how the men got in first when the ball was loose. “First come first served” was their motto, and when they gained possession they had the ability to dispose of it in a manner which helped the side and not an individual. The whole-hearted endeavour of the Reds fell against the thoughtfulness of the Blues. Everton were a really fine side on Saturday, for they had brains and determination. Take White, for instance. He always had the measure of Hodgeson and was an invaluable defender. He got there, often against odds, and he was content at that, for he never tried to be clever, leaving the finesse to the other intermediates. The Everton backs were finely assorted. Cresswell contributing the brains, while O'Donnell delighted with unceremonious lacking and kicking. Hart had a fine game and was the prime mover in many terror-laden attacks, and Kelly played one of his best games, being equally willing and purposeful in attack and defence.


The forwards never lost their heads and the fact that they could slip the ball from outside-left to the opposite wing in a single move demonstrated that Dean was the fiery leader to a calm, collected line, and in Dunn and Martin there were two schemers who knew just when to loose the ball and where. The wingers were well able to mould on the clay given them, and Stein especially displayed great pluck and ability in his first “Derby” match. Davie kept goal finely and saved the situation more than once by his timely running-out. Liverpool are to be sympathised with in that they had to run the second half with only four forwards who could not improve on excellent material served up by three hard-working and solid halves. The middle trio and Riley stood out in the ranks of the Reds and I think that McDougall, with his subtle constructive ideals, was the pick. Morrison was another who knew how to give a pass, and Davidson was an incisive player who contrived never to give Dean much room. Jackson and Done never gave up hope, though their place-kicking rarely assisted the men in front, of whom Hopkin and Clark were the only men to really threaten danger. Hopkins was the best forward. Riley made one bad slip, but the Anfielders must remember that he served at least half-a-dozen shots, which would have defeated most goalkeepers.


It was certainly Everton day, and there was only the Clark-Hodgson-Davidson business to mar what would otherwise have been a clean give and take encounter. It was an object lesson in the fact that football will invariably come out on top, and it was certainly football which won the day for the Blues, though Liverpool might have got nearer had the wily Clark been available all though. The teams were Liverpool; - Riley, goal, Jackson (captain) and Done, backs, Morrsion, Davidson, and McDougall, half-backs; Edmed, Clark, Hodgson, Race, and Hopkins, forwards. Everton; - Davies, goal, Cresswell and O'Donnell, backs, Kelly, White, and Hart (captain), half-backs, Ritchie, Dunn, Dean, Martin and Stein, forwards.



September 9 th 1929. The Liverpool Post and Mercury


A keen game at Goodison Park resulted in a draw of two goals each Liverpool have Lucas to thank forwards off a risk to limb, a last Everton raid. Both teams played their best when facing the sun. First it was Liverpool, whose nicely constructed, direct movements made them the more dangerous in the initial half. Scott (A.) distributed the play well, and Lindsay and Quinn were wingers who often sped by Everton's flank, but fortunately for Everton O'Donnell, Common and Sagar were safe. Lindsay was the initiator of the movements that led to Quinn opening the score for Liverpool. Everton had the first half chances but finished poorly. The second half provided a complete reversal of form, when Everton attacked strongly and while Gardener was over the line recovering from a knock Wilkinson equalised. Robson, at half-back. Was particularly successful and scored a great goal, but Scott (A.) headed the equaliser. The second portion showed a vastly improved Everton. Kennedy, Rooney, Robson, Wilkinson, and Collins, were prominent with the defence retaining a first half steadiness. For Liverpool, Lindsay was a great raider; Quinn and Wicklow showed good ideals. Gardiner was convincing; Bromilow and Shear steady. Lucas was wherever the battle was most stern, ably supported by Gray, with Scott behind as safe as ever. Teams; - Everton; - Sagar, goal, Common and W O'Donnell; backs, Robson, Kennedy, and Rooney, half-backs; Critchley, Easton, Wilkinson, Weldon, and Collins, forwards. Liverpool;- Scott, goal; Lucas, Gray, backs; Gardiner, Shears, and Bromilow, half-backs; Lindsay, Miller, Scott (a), Wicklow, and Quinn, forwards . Referee Mr. Adams (Accrington)


Liverpool county combination.

At St James's Park, Everton were seen to better advantage early on, Chedgzoy being prominent. He scored after beating three opponents. St James's were attacking mostly in the second period, Mulligan equalised close on time. Rowlands Pyke, Mulligan, and Shields played well, for the home team, while Calvert in goal, Ashcroft, and Hanson were conspicuous for the visitors.



September 11 th 1929. The Daily Courier



Everton make a change in the forward line for the match with Leeds United at Goodison park today (Kick-off 6.0). Critchley has been recalled to his position, at outside right, in place of Ritchie, and this decision is all more suprising when it was thought that at last the latter and his fellow Scot, where setting down to the kind of football which used to delight the Hibernians colleagues.


The form of the twain against Liverpool on Saturday impressed the critics so much that two expressed hopes that the amount of money disputed by the Goodison Park directors in the deal was going be just. Not many have sad that before. Well Critchley will make a worthy substitute and there is little fear of Everton's unbeaten record going today. Teams; Everton;- Davies; Cresswell, O'Donnell; Kelly, White, Hart; Critchley, Dunn, Dean, Martin, Stein. Leeds United; Johnson; Roberts, Menzies; Edwards, Hart, Underwood; Turnbull, Longden, Jennings, Wainscott, Mitchell.



September 13 th 1929. The Daily Courier





By the Pilot.

There were enough dispute at Goodison Park last night when Everton and Leeds United played a draw of a goal apiece to fill the Law Courts for months. Rarely does one see a match in which there has been so much to create controversy, and afterwards one heard spectators threatening to do all manner of blood curdling to Mr. Nunnerley, of Ellesmere, the referee. After all is said and done, matters were somewhat unsatisfactory, for a goal was scored which did not count, and questionable efforts led to the ball being in the net and goals being recorded, take the Everton goal, for instance, secured after half-an-hour's play, Critchley had just struck the upright and subsequently, from a corner, the ball bobbed about the goalmouth until it fell to Hart, who placed well forward to Dean. Dean was challenged by Menzie, but he appeared to grip the full back by the waist, lift him aside, gather the ball, and go on to score. No spontaneous cheer greeted the effort, because fully 90 per cent of the thirty thousand watchers expected the whistle to go for a foul. Mr. Nunnerley blew all right, but then pointed to the centre of the field, and there was jubilation in the Goodison camp. Considering this, why should anyone grumble at the manner in which Leeds got on terms after 78 minutes. It was an unsatisfactory goal, I grant, for Mr. Nunnerley sounded his whistle for offside just as the scorer kicked the ball, which passed Davies. Turnbull it was who led the raid on the home goal, and his centre was rather luckily parried and sent out to his wing again. O'Donnell was standing close to the goal-post, but as Turnbull ran up and placed low into the net the whistle sounded, apparently for offside. One expected the Leeds men to appeal against the offside pull-up. They had every right to do so.


Consequently they did and after Mr. Nunnerley's coat had nearly been torn from his back, he agreed to consult a linesman. The linesman ruled a goal, and so the referee allowed Leeds to draw level. The crowd gave vent to their feelings with a vengeance, but why? Turnbull was undoubtedly on-side, and so the visitors deserved a goal. The alteration of the decision was the galling point. Many contended that if Nunnerley was convinced he was wrong when he blew for offside that he should have bounced the ball down. Had he do this, would justice have been met? Certainly not –it was a legitimate goal. I do not say that Everton did not deserve both points from a football point of view. They did, in the first half we saw some delightful constructive play from them, and had there been better finishing on the part of the extreme wingers more than one goal have accrued.


The first three minutes produced plenty of excitement for Davies had twice to handle dangerous shots, and Johnson, the young goalkeeper recently promoted to the United first team, effected magnificent clearances from Martin and Stein. Then Dean appeared to propel the ball forward with his hands before going on to dribble Johnson and net. The point was disallowed, and I think rightly so. I am not so certain that the Blues did not score, however, when dean's header struck the underpart of the crossbar and bounced down for Menzies to kick away. The ball appeared to be in although when it struck earth again it was not over the line. Dunn and Cresswell played wonderfully during this period and it was a matter of wonder that the Evertonians did not pile up a large score. Matters were more level in the second half, but not half so enjoyable from a football point of view, except it be for the continued cleverness of Dunn and Cresswell and the wonderful improvement in Edwards , the Leeds right half who earlier on had ruined keen anticipation and ball control by aerial feeding.


Leeds missed their chances, it is true, Wainscoat being greatly to blame on two occasions, but they were a quick-moving side who lacked the football ability of the home team, and they must have been happy to retire with a point to their credit. It was a great game, for matters generally were far too unsatisfactory to please. Everton played fine football and Cresswell was again brilliant, O'Donnell, too, did well, and White added to his laurels. Hart, However, was the pick of the intermediates. Kelly was unfortunate in that the ball always seemed to run awkwardly for him. Critchley should have had a good game, with Dunn in his most tricky and clever mood, but he failed to live up to early promise, and Stein would persist in feeding Leeds, with his centres. Dunn was a wizard –nothing less, and Martin played an excellent purpose. Dean was a worrier and he kept the line moving all through . Teams; - Everton; - Davies, goal; Cresswell and O'Donnell; backs, Kelly, White and Hart (captain) half-backs; Critchley, Dunn, Dean, Martin, Stein, forwards; Leeds United: - Johnson, goal; Roberts and Menzies, backs; Edwards, Hart, and Underwood, half-backs; Turnbull, Longden, Jennings, Wainscott, and Mitchell, forwards .



September 13 th 1929. The Daily Courier.

Ritchie returns to the Everton for the game at Derby tomorrow, but Critchley who deputised for him in the match with Leeds on Wednesday, is travelling as Reserve in case Ritchie, ankle injury causes him to stand down at the last moment. The Everton team will be: - Davies; Cresswell, O'Donnell; Kelly, White, Hart; Critchley, Dunn, dean, Martin, Stein. Derby County; - may reply on the following side; Wilkes; Carr, W Robson; McIntyre, Davison, Malloch; Fereday, Barclays, Bedford, Stephenson, Mee


Derby Daily Telegraph -Friday 13 September 1929


With Cooper, Colin and Crooks still the injured list, Derby County make no change in the side to oppose Everton at the Baseball Ground to-morrow (writes " Baseball "). The strong-going eleven which has taken full points from Bolton Wanderers and a half share of the spoils from the Villa will line up against the " Toffeemen " as follows:— Wilkes; Carr and Robson (W); Mclntyre, Davison and Malloch; Fereclay, Barclay, Bedford, Stephenson and


Carr and Robson (W.) have rendered yeoman service since called upon to fill the full back positions and they will have further test, and a strong one, in facing Dean and his men. England's centre-forward wants looking after in all circumstances, and it will be feather in their cap if the " Rams' " reserve defenders prevent a score against them to-morrow. The County's "cripples" are going on nicely, and the three " C's " will be sporting the " Rams' " colours again before long. EVERTON'S ONE CHANGE.

Everton make one change from the side that drew with Leeds United the home mid-week match, introducing Ritchie, the Scot, for Critchley, who has shown very disappointing form of late. It was at first thought that Dean might be unable to play owing to leg injuries sustained in the Leeds game, but the leg has yielded to treatment, and Dean is certain starter tomorrow, Everton's team being as follows:—Davies : Cresswell, O'Donnell; Kelly, White, Hart; Ritchie, Dunne, Dean, Martin, and Stein. Mr. R. Bowie will be in charge of the game.


Everton, like the "Rams," are still undefeated, and occupy seventh place in the League. The Goodison Park side have drawn three their four games, the other game, against their near and dear rivals, Liverpool, last Saturday, ending three goals' win for the '•Toffeemen." Derby County Reserves are at Goodison Park to-morrow, when they oppose Everton Reserves with the following side: Hampton; Webb, Jessop; Robinson, Barker, Scott; Alderman, Hope, Bowers, Ramage, and Robson (J. C.).



Derby Daily Telegraph -Friday 13 September 1929

Derby entertain Evreton at the Baseball Ground to-morrow, and on current form they should send the '' Toffeemen away pointless. Ever ton could only draw with Leeds United at Goodison Park in mid-week game, and this form not good enough to trouble the Rams." The same direct methods by the County should be successful to-morrow as in previous games this season.


Led by England's centre-forward, "Dixie" Dean,

Everton's attack takes holding and with such an old head as "Warney" Cresswell the defence wants circumventing . The following pen-pictures of the Everton players makes interesting reading.

DAVIES, ARTHUR, goal. A Wallasey-born lad who appears bent 6av:ng the club the pavment of big fee, for Everton have been reputed to be after a "fashionable" custodian for a long time now. Last season did not miss single League match. product of the Wirral Railway Club and played for New Brighton and Flint before reaching Goodison Park. He is a giant over six feet and has the reputation of being erratic. C


rightback.—One of the most stylish backs in the game is this famous international of South Shields and Sunderland fame. His little tuft of hair his forehead; Iris utter disregard for convenional tactics; his remarkable outbreaks of dribbling; and his grand clearances all go to make remarkable personality. He takes his football very seriously, even does get a lot of joy cut it.


left-half—This Gateshead product had couple of, seasons with Darlington before going to Everton in 1925. There was time when had some claims to centre-forward, and even to-day you get glimpses his amazing powers as a shot, for he. sends in pile drivers from long range. He's robust type of defender, quick in recovery, but might use his right foot more than does.


right-half.—A tall, red-haired enthusiast from Ayr United. Some unkind critic once called him the Spider." He certainly has long legs, and does look a bit gawky at times, but he's a footballer every inch of "him. His interventions show real judgment and anticipation, and his promptings his forwards leav e nothing to be desired.


centre-half.— Gets his chance here because Tom Griffiths is casualty—otherwise would never in the team, except, at centre-forward, where he is probably more home. Is a product of the Trinity Old Boys' Club at Southport, and had a couple of seasons with Southport before going Everton in 1927 a 19 years old protege. He's a born footballer, but his versatility may be his greatest enemy.


left-half.—This is his original berth, although played so long as pivot of line that many people have forgotten that he obtained from Airdrieonians in 1922 as a left-half. Is captain of the side., and is to-day a polished, experienced player of great ability. Rather robust tunes, but when he so minded does amazingly brilliant things footcraft.


outside-right.— This Forth native rose to International rank when partnered hi& present clubmate, Dunn, on the Hibernians' right wing. He's one of the biggest and weightiest right wingers in football, but has the stride of deer and heart that carries him into many a robust tussle with opponent. Can hit ball with great power when near goal. DUNN, JAMES,

inside-richt.—Another International Scot who went to Goodison Park shortly after Ritchie, and is known for his flicks and flips with his dancing toes. Is always side.footing the ball in dainty fashion, proving himself juggler with the ball and as artistic as an inside forward can be. He's diminutive, afid perhaps doesn't finish with great power, but he can work openings for his mates.


centre-half.—Popularly known as Dixie," down football history the scorer of 60 goals a single League campaign. is a Birkenhead-born man, produced by the Pensby Institute club, and came out darkhaired youth with Tranmere Rovers 1923. Many managers saw him those early days, and hadn't the courage to sign him. Everton did— wjth what result now v»ell known. Has amazing trick of working like lightning near goal, and can use his head and both feet with celerity and accuracy.


inside-left—Still another Scot, produced the Bo'ntss club, where originally played as a centre forward# scored a lot goals that position in his early days with Hull City, but later became known for his clever scheming an inside forward. Went Goodison Park March, 1928, and now appears to have installed himself regularly this berth.


outside-left—Completes line which has two all- Scottish wing pairs, for Stein is a Coatbridge born man and played for Dunfermline two seasnos ago. 24 years of age and was kept out of the side last season Alec Troupe, but get his chance now because Troupe's ill-health. He is speedy, direct his methods, and a grand shot.



September 14 1929. The Derby Daily Telegraph



STILL without Cooper, Collin and Crooks, Derby County made no r-hange from the team that did so well the Bolton and Villa games for ten day's important League fixture at the Baseball Ground. Carr and Robson (W.) again figured as the full-backs, and that their mettle would be fully tested the visitors there was no question. With star like ''Dixie" Dean in their ranks, Everton are attractive visitors any ground. The corresponding game last season resulted in a clear three goals win for the " Rams," The "Toffeemen" made one change from the side that got a point from Leeds United last Wednesday, Ritchie coming in at outside-right in place of Critchley. The teams faced each other as follows:— DERBY COUNTY. Wilkes Carr Robson (W.) Mclntyro Davison Malloch Fereday Barclay Bedford Stephenson Mee - Stein Martin Dean Dunn Ritchie Hart ODonnell Cresswell Davies EVERTON." Referee: Mr. R. Bowie, Newcastle. About see Mclntyre lose the toss, the Rams being set face a strong sun. Straightway from the kick-off the County forwards make tracks for Davies, but Cresswell nips in to clear* Stephenson's intended pass to Bedford. Before the attack is beaten off Mclntyre dribbles the ball close in drive narrowly past. White sends forward long pass to Dean who, however, is beaten in the chasing of the ball by Wilkes. Everton's goal has three narrow escapes in as many minutes. Barclay, from a short pass by Fereday, tries snap shot, the ball just going past.


Back come the Rams, and Malloch drops a long shot into goal, Davies saving under the bar. The danger is not yet averted, for a corner-kick, well placed by Fereday, Mee heads into the Everton keeper's hands. The hectic five minutes in the Lverton goal area brought to a close when Hart slips out long pass to Stein. The winger forces a corner off Robson and from the flag kick White with long raking shot forces Wilkes to concede another corner. Mclntyre, with long kick, places Bedford in possession, and the Rams' leader quickly makes ground in solo effort, shooting on the run. His finishing effort is beautifully parried by Davies, who fists clear with one hand.


Robson, Derby's young reserve back, beats the great Dixie " in a tough struggle for possession. Dean races down the middle with Robson close on his heels, and just inside the penalty area the Rams' defender makes a brilliantly successful tackle and clears in dashing style. The Rams' goal has a narrow squeak when Ritchie carries the ball down on the left wing, forcing Wilkes to save on hi* knees. Wilkes fails to gather the ball, but Carr completes the clearance. the other end Bedford tries a surprise shot which flashes past the upright. White is sending out «oine rare long passes to his wingers, but the County defenders have a firm hold the situation. Fine defensive work by gives BEDFORD a chance, and, breaking clean through the Everton defence, he has an easy task to beat Davies, which he does in simple fashion, tapping the ball past the helpless goalkeeper. QUICK REPLY. file ''Tofieemen" are on level terms within one minute, and Dean is the successful marksman. Ritchie paves the way swinging in an ideal centre, and DEAN, standing close to the opposite upright, jumps over the " Rams' " defenders to nod the ball into the roof of the net. Despite the warm conditions the football is very fast and skilful. Bedford and Fereday both miss likely openings in quick succession. Mee beats Creswell in a. short, sharp struggle, and swings the ball into the middle. Bedford lose possession before he can get in his shot. Fereday immediately afterwards has his chance, but the little winger fails to get the ball under control. Both goals are visited in quick succession ; the Rams raids, however, are imbued with more danger.


FEREDAY places the Rains ahead, taking advantage a bad defensive error by O'Donnell. Stephenson worms his way through friend and foe alike to p>ice the ball across goal. O'Donnell fastens on to the ball and seemingly has plenty of time to clear but FEREDAY, nipping in from the full-back's rear, takes the ball off O'Donnell's toes and plants it into the net past' the astonished Davies. Clever work Barclay forces Davies to handle, the Rams' inside right centring from the goal line. DESPERATE DEFENCE.

Stephenson is continually working stragetio moves in the vicintv of the Rams' front line, and only desperate tackling Everton defenders averts costant danger. A goal against Weldon was placed by Webb into the Eerton goalmouth but none of the County forwards could apply the finishing touch. Derby had livened up considerably, and, with their half-backs pressing, the forwards came into the limelight with some good combined movements. A centre by Bowers hit the side net and Srott, from a free kick, forced the Everton keeper to save, while Alderman centred across the goal. Everton scored in a breakaway and chief credit for the goal must be given to Weldon. His shot was saved Hampton, who could not complete his clearance, with the result that had a simple task to find the net. Half-time— DERBY COUNTY 2 EVERTON 1



September 14, 1929 Derby Daily Telegraph

Afraid Of The Derby Peaks and Dales

Train Sickness

Goodison-The Perfect Park

By Major Jink

It was a long, long trail a winding as far as Everton were concerned this morning. The team and officials took a roundabout route to Derby –they travelled via Crewe and Stoke instead of taking the direct line. And why? To avoid the peaks and dales of Derbyshire, which, Manager Tom McIntosh told me yesterday afternoon, are hated by every team that has to visit Derby from the north. “These ups and downs, and the train sickness that follows them, are the bane of a manager's existence when his men are playing the County,” he said. “We'd rather travel the night before as a matter of fact” said Mr. McIntosh. I wish they had done so –the journey from Liverpool this morning took us exactly three and a half hours. At Crewe the Everton saloon was attached to a slow train that crawled to Derby, stopping ay every tiny station. I was a cheery afternoon that I spent with the Everton manager in Liverpool yesterday. At every turn of the Merseyside town Mr. Tom McIntosh pointed out to me something connected with Everton. Here the church from which the team originated –a Sunday school side. There the Catholic school against whose boys Everton fielded their first team in an annual fixture. The barber's where we were shaved was owned by an old Everton player –the newsagent where we bought a paper to see f Athford had won belonged to another Goodison Park favouritie of the past.



September 14 th 1929. The Daily Courier.

Everton have a difficult task to face in visiting Derby to meet the County side, and if they return with both points they will have been responsible for one of the best performances of the season. However, I expect them to retain their unbeaten certificate, and believe they will return home with a point. Derby are also undefeated, and a battle royal is ensured, while the spectators should see some fine football served up, for there are artists in both sides. With the return of Ritchie the right wing will be strengthened, and if Stein sends in more accurate centres Dean should be provided with the necessary goal-scoring chances. Derby's forwards have piercing ways, and the Blues' defenders will have to be on their best behaviour. Bedford is a great opportunists alongside the crafty Stephenson and White will have his work cut out in keeping the derby leader in check. Critchley is travelling as reserve, but it is expected that the following teams will line up at 3-15. Everton; Davies; Cresswell, O'Donnell; Kelly, White, Hart; Ritchie, Dunn, Dean, Martin, Stein; Derby County; Wilkes; Carr, W. Robson; McIntyre, Davison, Malloch; Fereday, Barclay, Bedford, Stephenson, Mee.



September 16 th 1929. The Daily Courier.



Derby County still hold their unbeaten certificate and deservedly so, for they are playing the type of football which, while the dry weather lasts, will no doubt upset many sides superior in footcraft. It is not the intention to belittle their victory over Everton, but it is only a truth to state that the Goodison Park club displayed more scientific play and were the better craftsmen, but as Derby scored two goals as against the one nodded in by Dean they are entitled to their victory. Their go ahead tactics were the chief factor in their success. The open, swinging games will often defeat the side which goes out for finesse, and it was so in this match, for Derby County exploited their speedy wingmen to the full, and without a moment's hesitation, the ball was flung into the middle, where Bedford was often on his own, ready with a shot. He scored the opening point, but prior to that Davies had saved a least half a dozen shots, the best of which was a fierce drive by the centre-forward, who had got clean through, Davies made a really excellent one-handed save.


As to Bedford's goal, it was open to doubt, for when Mee centred the ball Bedford brought down with his chest, and according to an opposing player, helped it into position with his arm. In this belief the tackle was delayed, as it was though it was a case of hands, and Bedford was allowed to go on and place the ball into the net. Playing to the whistle would have prevented that goal at the twentieth minute, but as Dean levelled matters sixty seconds later from Stein's corner kick, all was well until Fereday beat Hart for possession to score at the twenty-ninth0minute. Dean offered Stein some excellent opportunities, but instead of sending the ball back to the centre, he tried shooting from awkward angles. Dean was well watched by Davison, a defensive half-back. Nowadays Dean passes out to the wings, whereas at one time he would have gone through on his own. But the passes he received were mostly up in the air, and he was not so good as Bedford on the day's play. The Everton wing men were not so good as Mee and Fereday, who rarely made a poor centre and when Stein copied their style he gave Martin the opportunity to head the ball against the upright with Wilkes dashing across his goal in his effort to avert disaster. There had been plenty of incidents in the first half, notably when O'Donnell headed out from underneath the bar after Davies had left his charge.


Derby County have gel together a youthful side, and speed was undoubtedly their strong point. For Everton, Ritchie made a few good centres, and Stein persisted in his shooting. Dunn was his usual clever self, but with Dean held, much of Dunn's good work was spoiled by lack of enterprise on the part of his extreme colleagues. In the last few minutes Ritchie had an exceptionally fine opening made for him, but instead of taking a direct hit, he tried to steady the ball before shooting and was beaten before he could get it under control. Just before that Davies had frustrated. Bedford, who was out on his own, sweeping down on the Everton goal, and appeared to be a certain scorer, but Davies ran out, and saved a critical situation. Bedford tried to lob the ball over Davies, but the goalkeeper anticipated the movement, and the ball went into the hands and away to safety. Davies was one of the successes of the Everton team with White having a particularly good first half. Cresswell was the polished full-back, O'Donnell, too, did well against speedy rivals. Hart was the thoughtful half-backs, but seemed to tire towards the end. Teams; - Derby County; Wilkes goal; Carr and Robson, backs; McIntyre, Davison, and Malloch, half-backs; Fereday, Barclay, Bedford, Stephenson, and Mee, forwards. Everton; - Davies, goal; Cresswell and O'Donnell, backs; Kelly, White, and Hart (captain) half-backs; Ritchie, Dunn, Dean, Martin, Stein, forwards . Referee R. Bowie, (Newcastle)



September 16 th 1929. The Liverpool Post and Mercury


Everton fully deserved their victory, and it was Hampton's good work in goal that prevented Weldon, Easton, and Wilkinson augmenting the score. The County look a long time to get going, but later proved stern tacklers, and it was Kennedy, Common and O'Donnell (Who did well). Wilkinson scored for Everton in the first half. Soon after resuming Ramage equalised, Easton scored a second and Wilkinson Everton's third. Attwood, is a better inside forward than winger, Whyte made a creditable debut, with Weldon an outstanding performer in the attack. Everton; - Sager, goal; Common and W. O'Donnell, backs; Robson, Kennedy, Whyte, half-backs; Critchley, Easton, Wilkinson, Attwood, and Weldon, forwards.


Liverpool county combination.

At Vale-road. The first half was goalless although the Shell were surprise, but could not beat down Parkinson's fine goalkeeping, freeman opened the score for Shell in the second half, but French relied for Everton.

Dugald Livingstone

Lancashire Evening Post -Tuesday 17 September 1929

Congratulations from present and former clubmates were received by Livingston, the ex-Everton Football Club full back, now with Aberdeen, on his marriage at Seacombe, Wirral, to Miss Helen Stevenson, of St. Seaoombe.



September 17 th 1929. The Daily Courier.



By the Pilot.

Everton were the first to score at Leeds, and even led at the interval, but it was obvious that it was the superior play of the home side that gave them the points. Throughout they were an accomplished combination, but the Evertonians did well enough to make the encounter thoroughly entertaining, and at times thrilling. It was a fine entertainment, with the spoils going to the men who could think and act just a shade quicker than for Blues. The first goal came after 32 minutes. Dean showed the United just how a goal should be obtained, even when the opportunity is not gilt-edged. Clever dribbling by Dunn dribbling by Dunn and Martin saw Dean get a “through ticket,” and instead of going between the backs he sent the ball wide to Stein, who ran close to the line before centring. Johnson came out in an effort to punch clear but Dean's leap won the situation, his forehead ramming the ball home.


United thoroughly deserved their equaliser early in the second half. A free kick just outside the penalty area was the cause of the bother, for, after Milburn's kick had been charged down, a stern 30 seconds' battle ensued for possession, Edwards won this and centered across to Wainscott standing beyond a group of players. Wainscott headed low, and the ball squeezed in by the post. Davies being unable to get across. Few people were surprised when Jennings gave the home side the lead after 65 minutes, Turnbull had been doing things on the right, and by a marvellous contortion he centred to Wainscot, who deceived friend and foe by simply heading back to Jennings, who almost ripped the net with his well-timed volley. There were scores of other thrilling incidents especially in the opening half, when the Leeds players launched raid after raid on the Everton goal without being able to apply the final touches.


The home forwards served excellent footwork –play born of subtle manoeuvre and speed –but they finished deplorably. On the occasions when they did get on the mark they found Davies in his best mood. Once Turnbull broke through on his own and shot at point-blank range, but Davies got the ball out, and when Jennings headed in unhesitatingly Davies had to move yards to avert disaster. Then Jennings appeared to handle as he got to within four yards of the goal with no one in attendance, but the referee allowed the shot. It was a hundred to one on a goal, but Davies brought off a miraculous clearance. Davies was brilliant, and had it not been for him Leeds would have run up a large total. The United were quicker on the ball than the Blues, who has several weaknesses. Their methods were good and their attack often served up delightful football, but they were so busy defending for the most part that it was on isolated occasions that they could get play to the other end.


The Everton backs were excellent. Cresswell gave another of his artistic but thorough exhibitions, while O'Donnell was terrier-like in his tackling cunning in his inventions and sure in his kicking. Hart was a successful intermediate player, who utilised careful thought in all that he attempted. Kelly had an “off day,” while White was not as comfortable as usual against the speedy Leeds inside trio. Dunn was without a peer in attack. He had not only perfect ideas, but never once failed to put them into operation.


Dean was a worrier, while Martin was direct in his methods and created several good openings, Stein did well with limited opportunities. Dean kept up his record of a goal a match. Teams; - Leeds United; - Johnson, goal, Roberts and Milburn, backs, Elsworth, Hart and Reed, half-backs, Turnbull, White, Jennings, Waincoat, and Mitchell, forwards. Everton; - Davies, goal, Cresswell and O'Donnell, backs, Kelly, White and Hart (captain), half-backs, Ritchie, Dunn, Dean Martin and Stein, forwards .


Yorkshire Post –September 17, 1929

Everton over-Played at Elland Road

Home Forwards in Form

By Our Special Representative.)

Leeds United were tip-top form last night before 17,000 spectators the Elland Road ground, they won their return match with Everton by 2 goals to 1. The manner in which the victory was accomplished, more than the actual result, afforded cause for satisfaction to the United's supporters, for had the goalkeepers of the two sides been reversed, the home team must have had runaway victory. Johnson was the L'nited's goal in the continued absence of Potts, and it was the reserve man's lack of judgment in away Everton's solitary goal which epfc the issue in doubt the end. The United, with all their magnificent efforts and well-sustained scheming, had to contend against an unusually alert and resourceful goulkeeper Duvies, who gave nothing away, whereas there always seemed danger of Johnson being overborne in one the characteristic rushes tlie opposing centre forward. Dean. Otherwise the game was one-sided affair. Everton shone defence alone, for besides having an immeasurably superior goalkeeper, their backs, and O'Donnell, were more effective than the Leeds pair. Roberts' spectacular volleving did not conceal some faults of recklessness. and J. Millburn, who was introduced left back owing the indisposition of Menzies, wns imperturbable without always being effective. for the rest, however, Everton's slow and somewhat slovenly methods bore comparison the dashing and polished work of the Leeds halt backs and forwards. White and Dean, upon whom the attack largely depends, were too " tubby to be active; both need to train down to football fitness before they can reproduce their best form. The superior condition and speed of the whole the Leeds halves ana forwards were strikingly shown. Their combination was such as to leave doubt that, as constituted last night, Leeds United had the best attack which they have had this season. was pleasure to his many friends see Jennings in his old form, with his drive as deadly as ever. Seeing, also, that bite made effective partner inside right, the difficulties the United's selection committee for the present would appear to be simplified.


The United played exceedingly clever football in the first half. Their most dangerous rally camefroman opportunistic effort bv Turnbull, who skipped into the middle "to hang in shot which, being parried Davies, was followed by two headers in quick succession which were both well saved by the goal-keeper. Danes again saved his side when cleverly made an opening for Jennings, who was daringlv foiled in his attempt to breast the ball into the net. Thus it was all against the run of the play when Everton took the lead after 32 minutes. Their score, though worked for in sprightly fashion, a direct reflection upon the judgment of Johnson, who ill dealing with a centre from Stein, missed the ball, which Dean deftly headed into the net. On the other hand Johnson produced one of his best saves just before the interval in tipping over shot Ritchie when bis backs had bungled. Leeds United opened the second half in rousing fashion, the half backs and forwards all joining in persistent attacks, which produced fine goal after ten minutes. Edwards, who playing in dashing form, made the score possible by lobbing forward a perfect pass to Wainscoat, who got equaliser by heading downwards into the corner of the net. The United followed this success by crowding all sail, and thrice they were desperately near scoring with shot by Mitchell and headers by Wainscoat and Hart. The will to win was strikingly evident in the United's subsequent play, and as seemed inevitable the winning goal was obtained when, after some neat passing and re-passing within the penalty area, White finally cut a short pass to Jennings who brought out his best shooting qualities by driving the ball at a difficult angle into the corner of the net. Having got the lead Leeds United were never in danger of losing it, except one occasion, when Dean nearly headed in from a free kick. Result Leeds United, 2 goals: Everton, 1goal. Teams:— Leeds United Johnson ; Roberts, Millburn (J.); Edwards, Hart, Reed ; Turnbull, White, Jennings, Wainscoat, Mitchell. Everton :—Davies; Cressweli, O Donnell; Kelly, White, Hart; Ritchie, Dunn, Dean, Martin, Stein. Referee, G. Nunnerley, Wellington.


September 18 th 1929. The Daily Courier.


Everton make one change for the match with Manchester City at Goodison Park on Saturday (Kick. Wilkinson, the former Newcastle United forward, taking the place of Ritchie at outside left. Wilkinson scored two of the three goals for Everton reserves against Derby County Reserves last week, but he had to retire near the end of the game with a cut over one of his eyes. The Everton-Manchester City match last season were a memorable affair. The Manchester fellows' arrival was so much delayed that they had to change into their football “togs” in the train and then rush by tax-cab to the ground. The hustle did not affect them much, for they pilled up half a dozen goals to the home side's two. The City got something else as well as the points, however, for they had to pay a stiff fine for late arrival. What would have happened if they had a tranquil journey instead of a breath-taking dash into the fray is an interesting question –but a beating of such proportions for the then champions took the bad odour from the subsequent “conviction” and fine. Everton will be represented by the following on Saturday. Davies; Cresswell, O'Donnell; Kelly, White, Hart; Wilkinson, Dunn, Dean, Martin, Stein; The Manchester City directors delighted with the honour conferred on Toseland by the Football League Mangement Committee, are not likely to make any change in the eleven who whipped the Cup-holders last Saturday. In that event the Maine-road side would line out as follows; - Barber; Ridley, McCloy; Barrass, Cowan, McMullan; Toseland, Marshall, Johnson, Tilson, Brook.



September 21 st 1929. The Daily Courier.

Merseyside teams are engaged in a great inter-city struggle with their Manchester rivals, Everton being at home to Manchester City. Both contests should produce hard struggles, but Everton appear to have the easier task, as they play before their own supporters. Spectators at Goodsion Park today will remember the avalanche of goals, which the City forwards scored in the corresponding game last season, but I do not think they can hope to repeat the performance again. The visitors have a fast and tricky forward line, which will need a lot of holding. They will certainly gave Cresswell, and Co. plenty to do, but the Blues should be equal to the task of taking the point. McMullan, the City captain, is a host in himself, and his work is always a delight to the lovers of football ability. Then we have Toseland, who will return to Goodison on Wednesday to take part in the Inter-League match against the Irish League. This crafty winger has been doing great things recently, and Hunter Hart will have his work cut out to keep the outside-right subdued. Critchley has been disappointing this season, and the Everton directors in their efforts to find a worthy partner for Dunn, have called in a reserve player in Wilkinson, who is new to the position on the right wing. He gets plenty of encouragement for the crowd he is likely to make good, for he is an intelligent player who takes the shortest route to goal. The Blues have not yet set Merseyside on fire, but I am taking sides with them for today's match, and expect to see them add two points to their modest total. The following sides have been chosen (Kick-off 3-16); - Everton; - Davies; Cresswell, O'Donnell; Kelly, White, Hart; Wilkinson, Dunn, Dean, Martin, and Stein; City; Barber; Ridley, Mccloy; Barrass, Cowan, McMullan; Toseland, Marshall, Johnson, Tilson, and Brooks.



September 23 rd 1929. The Liverpool Post and Mercury.



Everton lost to Manchester city by the odd goal in five at Goodison Park on Saturday, and have yet to register their first home win. Home defeats are always disappointing and sometimes difficult to explain, but it must be admitted that City deserved the honours in Saturday's game. For a time there was little in it, and although Everton had the tonic effect of a brilliant goal by Dean after seven minutes' play, it could not be overlooked that City's sparkling forward work, combined with splendid half-back play, were found to be big factors in the game. It was not surprising therefore that Manchester took the point. Everton were good but City were better. The main cause of Everton's defeat was the failure of the half-backs as a line. Individually, as far as White and Hart were concerned, there could be little complaint; both rendered excellent service, but Kelly was a weakness. He was out of touch with the line, got little of the ball, and most of the City's damaging raids came from Kelly's wing.


City became bolder and more confiden in their movements as the game progressed. It was a change of tactics that provided them with an equalising goal at 35 minutes. Marshall got down to a low ball, and with his head just managed to send the ball between Davies; s hand and the upright. Brook had been frequently held up by the craft of Cresswell, but on this occasion he turned inwards and, beating the Everton back, centred for Marshall to score. Five minutes after the interval Tilson gave City the lead with a great shot. He took the ball on the turn and, with a right foot drive, surprised Davies, who had no chance. A minute later, however, Martin levelled the scores when dean, with a smart header, gave him an opening that looked like a goal from the moment the movements started. Then followed some of the best incidents of the game. The City goal almost fell when Dean headed in with Barber out of position, but Ridley had fallen back and kicked the ball off the goal line. Racing back, Barber caught the ball and narrowly missed carrying it over the goal line before he could turn and kick clean.


At 70 minutes Marshall scored the winning goal from another good centre by Brook. Throughout the standard of the play was good. The City forwards moved with precision and understanding. They had smart wingers in Brook and Tilson, while Toseland and Marshall although not so effective as a pair did excellent work. McMullan gave his usual polished display. Cowan was good in defence, and Barrass by reason of his clever attacks, compelled a capital middle line. Barber was sound in goal, and Riley and McCloy were excellent backs. Collectively, the Everton forwards did not reach the standard or the City line. Dean revealed many deft touches. His heading and passes were ideal at times, but one missed the quick deadly thrust that brought him many goals's a couple of season's ago. He was at his best when he scored Everton;s first goal. A smart break though, he realised the possibilities of the position before the backs could close in upon him, and the ball was in the net before the backs had a chance to intervene. Dunn made many good openings, and Martin did well, but neither Stein nor Wilkinson did anything outstanding. The backs were hardly as consistent as usual. They were certainly hard worked and both did well for a time, but grew lax before the end. Davies did much good work, and with a little more alertness, might have prevented City's first goal. Teams; - Everton; - Davies, goal; Cresswell and O'Donnell, backs; Kelly, White, and Hart (captain), half-backs; Wilkinson, Dunn, Dean, Martin, and Stein, forwards; Manchester City; - Barber, goal; Ridley and McCloy, backs; Barrass, Cowan, and McMullan, half-backs, Toseland, Marshall, Johnson, Tilson, and Brook, forwards.



September 23 rd 1929. The Liverpool Post and Mercury.


Weldon scored for Everton and Austin of Busby two each for City of Manchester. Sager Common, and O'Donnell were the best players for Everton, and only Lewis at the half-back and French (Forward) compared with the winners in those departments. Austin and Busby were the pick of the home forwards, Gibbons and Robertson shinning in the City defence. Each side scored from a penalty kick. Everton; - Sager, goal, Common and W. O'Donnell, backs, Robson, Whyte, and Lewis, half-backs, Critchley, Webster, French, Weldon, and Collins, forwards.


Liverpool county combination.

At Strawberry-lane, the first half was well contested without either side claiming the advantage. The visitors had the better of a keen struggle in the second half, and Parkinson was frequenly tested. Snape opened the scoring from a penalty, and Roberts added a second. McMurine had a splendid chance of reducing the lead near the end.


SEPTEMBER 23 1929 Derby Daily Telegraph

Wilson scores Six at centre Forward


At Deepdale. this afternoon, North End opposed a young-looking Everton Reserve team with a side containing four first-eleven players of Saturday, namely Fawcett, Sherry. Nelson, and Smith. The Goodison team had the experience of O'Donnell, Critchley, and Weldon to help them. Teams: North End Res.—Fawcett; Hamilton (H.), Sherry; Dixon, Welson, Heaton, Russell,- Wilson, Robson and Smith. Everton Res.—Sagar; Connor, O'Donnell; Robinson, Kennedy, White; Critchley, Webster, French, Weldon, and Lewis. Referee; Mr. B. Snape, Blackpool. Everton began with a rush, and Nisbet was hurt near the post in keeping them out. Then it was all North End's game for quarter of an hour. They passed the ball smartly and with a good sense of direction, and were particularly aggressive on the right wing. Here Heaton was both tricky and persistent. He made openings in quick succession for Russell and Robson, and Nelson also figured in a triangular movement, which ended in O'Donnell's repelling drive from Heaton. After five minutes play WILSON challenged the 'keeper to the left of goal, and forced the ball into the empty net off his opponent's legs. Robson next saw a prompt right-foot drive curl wide of the gaping angle the goal. This effort was followed by another Heaton-Russell move, which O'Donnell spoiled by getting in the way of & rasping shot from Russell. When only eleven minutes had gone Heaton again figured in a promising move, which ended in WILSON picking up a centre in space and putting the ball where he wished. Everton ought to have cut the lead in half when Sherry glaringly mis-kicked in the penalty area, with the result that Webster had all the goal to shoot and no one near him. His drive nearly hit the top of the stand.


North End's reply to this was an even more vigorous assault on the goal. Heaton failed to use an excellent pass from Wilson, whose positional play was very good, but later the winger was fouled in trying to make amends. It happened in the penalty area, and WILSON shot into the roof of the net from the spot. Fawcett mad a workmanlike save of a hard driven free kick by Critchley. Russell shot into the side net at close quarters, and Smith saw Sagar turn aside a raking shot from the wing. The Everton goal was besieged for quite spell, so that it was a surprise when after minutes' play Lewis was so unguarded as to be able to snoot at an open goaf upon receiving slanting pass beautifully judged by Weldon. WILSON, whose cheery manner suggested keen relish for the game, was worrying the Everton defence much more than they liked, and to him fell fourth goal five minutes from half-time, so that he repeated Crawford's feat of Saturday of scoring his side's first four goals. Just on half-time, Fawcett moved too late to keeg out an awkward low drive past the post by HALF-TIME.—-NORTH END RESERVE 4, EVERTON RESERVE 2. RESULT—NORTH END RES. 9, EVERTON RES. 4,



Lancashire Evening Post-Monday 23 September 1929

At Deepdale this afternoon, North End opposed a young-looking Everton Reserve team with a side containing four first-eleven players of Saturday, namely Fawcett, Sherry. Nelson, and Smith. The Goodison team had the experience of O'Donnell, Critchley, and Weldon to help them. Teams: North End Res.—Fawcett; Hamilton (H.), Sherry; Dixon, Welson, Heaton, Russell,- Wilson, Robson and Smith. Everton Res.—Sagar; Connoi, O'Donnell; Robinson, Kennedy, White; Critchley, Webster, French, Weldon, and Lewis. Referee; Mr. B. Snape, Blackpool. Everton began with a rush, and Nisbet was hurt near the post in keeping them out. Then it was all North End's game for quarter of an hour. They passed the ball smartly and with a good sense of direction, and were particularly aggressive on the right wing. Here Heaton was both tricky and persistent. He made openings in quick succession for Russell and Robson, and Nelson also figured in a triangular movement, which ended in O'Donnell's repelling drive from Heaton. After five minutes* play WILSON challenged the 'keeper to the left of goal, and forced the ball into the empty net off his opponent' legs. Robson next saw a prompt right-foot drive curl wide of the gaping angle the goal. This effort was followed by another Heaton-Russell move, which O'Donnell spoiled by getting in the way of & rasping shot from Russell. When only eleven minutes had gone Heaton again figured in a promising move, which ended in WILSON picking up a centre in space and putting the ball where he wished. Everton ought to have cut this lead in half when Sherry glaringly mis-kicked in the penalty area, with the result that Webster had all the goal to shoot and no one near him. His drive nearly hit the top of the stand.


North End's reply to this was an even more vigorous assault on the goal. Heaton failed to use an excellent pass from Wilson, whose positional play was very good, but later the winger was fouled in trying to make amends. It happened in the penalty area, and WILSON shot into the roof of the net from the spot. Fawcett mad a workmanlike save of a harddriven free kick by Critchley. Russell shot into the side net at close quarters, and Smith saw Sagar turn aside a raking shot from the wing. The Everton goal was besieged for quite spell, so that it was a surprise when after minutes' play Lewis was so unguarded as to be able to snoot at an open goaf upon receiving slanting pass beautifully judged by Weldon. WILSON, whose cheery manner suggested keen relish for the game, was worrying the Everton defence much more than they liked, and to him fell fourth goal five minutes from half-time, so that he repeated Crawford's feat of Saturday of scoring his side's first four goals. Just on half-time, Fawcett moved too late to keep out an awkward low drive past the post by French. HALF-TIME.—-NORTH END RESERVE 4, EVERTON RESERVE 2. RESULT—NORTH END RES. 9, EVERTON RES. 4,



Lancashire Evening Post-Tuesday 24 September 1929


One of the most remarkable matches seen at Deepdale for some seasons was played yesterday between North End Reserves and Everton Reserves. It produced 13 goals, six which came 18 minutes of the second half, and the surprise was that no more were not scored. The open goal was missed badly three times, twice by Everton players. And Sagar, the visiting goalkeeper, was in no sense disgraced by having to pick the ball out of the net nine times—several of his saves were moat competent. Two things were responsible for Everton being so overwhelmed'—the amazing smoothness North End's movements and the weakness of the visiting halves. Later the not spread to the backs, where O'Donnell, always overworked, became as unsteady one or two of the others were wild. Nor was North End's defence free from fault. Hamilton and Dixon had no sort of understanding, and perhaps natural tendency to relax was fatal more than once. It is not flattering North End say that most defences would have crumpled under attacks launched so continuously and with such method and skill to support them. Heaton did much as he liked at outside right, where, thanks to Russell and Nelson, he was constantly employed and showed both quickness and ability to trick opponent. Wilson, the Scottish centre forward, ran into position with such good anticipation, and, moreover, had a coolness, strength, and discretion in finishing, that he got six goals. One was from a penalty. The others were obtained bv Smith, Russell and Heaton, and Lewis and French (3) scored for Everton. Nelson and Nisbet were fine half-backs for North End, rarely placing the ball wrong and using it to beat the man.



Derby Daily Telegraph -Tuesday 24 September 1929

Cresswell, of Everton, will play for the English League against the Irish League at Goodison Park, Liverpool, tomorrow, in place of Jackson, of Liverpool, who has cried off owing to injury.


September 24 th 1929. The Liverpool Post and Mercury


Everton were routed at Preston yesterday, when the North End scored nine goals through Wilson (5), Russell, Smith and Heaton, to the visitors' four by French (3), and Lewis. Sagar played brilliantly in the Everton goal, and the backs stood up well, but the inexperienced halves could do nothing against Preston's lively attack. The Everton forwards were good but should not have been allowed to secure four goals, the Preston defence being moderate. French, at centre, was the best forward for Everton.



September 25 th 1929. The Daily Courier.


An eleventh-hour change has had to be made in the Football League team to meet the Irish League at Goodison park today (Kick-off 3.15). Warneford Cresswell (Everton) being chosen as substitute for James Jackson (Liverpool). The choice of Cresswell as substitute will take the sting out of the loss of an honour to a very popular local footballer Cresswell was formerly captain of Everton.


Arthur Davis another Evertonian, who has been selected as the Football League's goalkeeper, receives his first honour today, and one which is confidently expected to be precursor of, perhaps, higher distinction. Davies, is a real Everton find. Born at Wallsey 22 years ago, he played for New Brighton Reserves and Flint, but ambition led him to the Goodison Park portals. There his request for a trial was granted –and Everton had secured a worthy successor in the making to Ted Taylor.



Ritchie returns to the Everton team for the match at Portsmouth on Saturday, while Robson takes the place of Kelly at right half-back. The team, therefore, will be as follows; - Davies; Cresswell, O'Donnell; Robson, White, Hart; Ritchie, Dunn, Dean, Martin, Stein; The Everton reserves team to meet Stoke City Reserves at Goodison Park will be: - Sagar; Common, O'Donnell; Kelly, Kennedy, Whyte; Critchley; Easton, French, Weldon, Lewis.



September 26 th 1929. The Daily Courier


Cresswell was brilliant, for he not only had to do his own work but cover up the many mistakes of Jones, who never seemed to be comfortable. Davies too, effected a number of excellent clearances, especially from Bambrick, and so it was that the Englishmen were winnings by seven goals too two. Davies Reid the old Evertonian was a keen, purposeful pivot, who now plays for Ballymena. Attendance 11,020 (receipts £700)



September 28 th 1929. The Daily Courier.


Everton journey to Portsmouth to meet a side who are still in search of the first victory. Everton only have one such to their credit, and will make a great effort today to finish on the right side. Portsmouth are naturally downhearted at their recent failures, and it will be a desperate Pompey who will face the Blues. Apart from the result of the encounter interest will be centred on the debut of Robson, who has been brought in to take Kelly's place at wing half. He has a great chance to make good, for he has the knowledge that a good display will keep him in the side. If he succeeds he will be a great asset to the Blues, for whom Kelly has been giving inconsistent displays. Everton can only boast of a victory over Liverpool, but an effort today with Dean keeping up his goal a match record should see the Merseyside double completed for the first time this season. Ritchie has been restored to the outside-right position to the exclusion of Wilkinson the ex-Newcastle player. The Everton wingmen have not been getting the ball in the centre as they should have done in previous matches, but a change of tackling today may spell success. Stein is improving every match, and his extra weight allows him to hold his own against heavy defenders, while Ritchie also takes some knocking off the ball. If Everton work and think quickly today. I have every hope that they will record their second victory of the season, and so give joy and confidence to their supporters. The following teams will take the field. Everton; - Davies; Cresswell, O'Donnell; Robson, White, Hart; Ritchie, Dunn, Dean, Martin, Stein; Portsmouth; Gilfillan; Mackie, Bell; Nichol, McLlwaine, Thackeray; Latimer, Watson, Weddle, Easson, Cook.



September 30 th 1929. The Daily Courier.





By the Pilot

Everton, thanks to a splendid hat-trick by Dean and an equally useful equaliser by Stein, registered a magnificent victory at the expense of Portsmouth at Fratton Park by 4 goals to 1. This was their second win of the season. The Blues have been engaged in so many matches this campaign in which they have experienced all the ill luck which was going that it came as a refreshing change to find Dame Fortune giving them a sunny smile. Verily she did smile for, although Everton came off the field deserving winners, they were a lucky side to be a goal to the good at the interval. Still, they cannot have praise taken from them because their opponents had not the ability to take advantage of easy scoring opportunities, and in the second half the Evertonians served up some really delightful combined football. The heat was so great that it caused the death of a spectator and the collapse of a bandsman, while many among the crowd had to divest themselves of their coats. The opening half was remarkable in that Pompey had chance galore. At one time they literally bombarded the Everton goal for a space of five minutes on end, and yet only one shot reached Davies. They either placed the ball outside the woodwork or banged it aimlessly against the well-positioned defenders. The visiting backs and halves can take credit for the diligent manner in which they stopped up loopholes with their legs and bodies, but the shooting of the Portsmouth forwards was the worst I have seen for Years. This is fact, not exaggeration. It was really their total and flagrant ineptitude which laid the foundations for the Everton win, for it gave the visitors confidence.


If a side finds itself undergoing a series of barrages without sustaining any serious damage, then the players must think they are immune from defeat. It was so with Everton. The longer the game went on the better did they play, and for the last 20 minutes they were positively excellent. The defence did splendidly at a time when the Portsmouth star was in the ascendant, and once it was patent to all that the men of Pompey could not score the attackers came along with a wet sail and gave delight to friend and foe. This applies specially to the straightforward tactics employed by Dean, Ritchie, and Stein, who constituted three arrow-heads to the line instead of the customary one. Portsmouth did only what every one anticipated when they took the lead after 22 minutes through Watson. Dainty Cook paved the way for this because he took the “rob” out of Robson, rounded Cresswell, and centred cleverly for Watson to hook the ball into the net via Davies's outstretched hand.


The home supporters were delighted that their favourites had scored, for home goals are rare things in the naval town, but their joy was short-lived, for in less than a minute Stein had dumbfounded every one with a levelling goal. He received out on the left, stepped into the “box” and placed in a deceptive lob shot from a narrow angle with his right foot. Gilfillan was in position, but the manner in which the ball swooped under the bar left him helpless. These goals were really interludes in the fierce battle between the Pompey attack and the Everton backs. How the players kept battling away such zest in the terrific heat was a matter of wonder. Yet stick at it they did. Right on the interval the Blues apparently though it was high time they gave the home men a lesson in goal-scoring, for O'Donnell robbed Latimer and found Dean, positioned in the goalmouth, to an inch. Dean had his back to the goal, but he flicked the ball over Gilfillan's head as only Dean can do. Portsdmouth resumed the game in almost the same manner by swarming round the Everton goal, but Latimer missed a “sitter” and other forwards waited too long when Davies was the only one guarding the net. Opportunity thought it had knocked too long on their door, and so deserted them, with the result that the Everton engine began to move with deadly effect. Relieved of pressure the backs were able to utilise the ball to better advantage, the forsook desperate defence for attack, and so the forwards got down to their work in grim causes. The change had come, and I knew them the points were safe in Everton pockets.


Dean swung out a lovely pass to Ritchie, who went some way before middling beautifully, Gifillan and Dean went for the ball at the same time, Dean pipping the goalkeeper on the post, hitting the ball towards the goal and then leaping over Gifillan's prostrate body and following the ball into the net. That settled Pompey once and for all. Dean completed his hat-trick in rather a lovely way, for when he fed Stein in the same manner, he had Ritchie and got the return, he tried to kick the ball home, but misfired and the ball bounced straight up to his forehead. A nod and the end was accomplished. Everton have played a lot better this season's matches they have lost, but for all that it was a brilliant performance –a clean cut victory by a cleverer and more methodical combination. Davies was not so safe as usual, though the wildness of the home finishing saved him a deal of trouble. He misfielded several balls early on, which might have led to goals. Cresswell and O'Donnell had a worrying time seeing that they had to be here, there and every where covering up scoring space, but they performed with distinct credit, and White was another who played a rare spoiling game, asking no quarter and giving none. Robson made a creditable debut and struck one as a keen constructive player, who only wants to learn a little more of the art of tackling to be a good one. Hart was the most advanced of the three half-backs from a football point of view.


Dean opened the game quietly, but after he had dived into the crowd he seemed to shake off his slowness and proceed to give a fine exhibition of clean-cut centre-forward play. The manner in which he found his wingers was uncanny and he was always ready for goals. Ritchie missed an open goal, but was refreshingly direct in his methods, cutting out the fancy stuff and constricting on the needs of Dean and the other inside men. It was one of his best games. Stein played an improved game and got the ball across splendidly after speedy and attractive touch-line work. Dunn was quieter than usual, he essentially subtle and Martin played hard although, having bad luck once when he defeated the offside move by slipping through on his own like an eel only to find that Gilfillan had advanced to narrow the angle. Gilfillan did well for Pompey and Mackie was the better of the backs. The halves were the most aerial feeders I have seen this season, and the forwards the most ineffective. Cook was the only one of the eight to keep up his reputation. Teams; - Gilfillan, goal, Mackie, and Bell, backs; Nichols, McIlwanie, Thackeray; Latimer, Watson, Weddle, Easson, and Cook, forwards. Everton; - Davies, goal; Cresswell, and O'Donnell (captain) backs, Robson, White, and Hart (captain), half-backs, Ritchie, Dunn, Dean, Martin, and Stein, forwards.



September 30 th 1929. The Liverpool Post and Mercury


After attacking for two-thirds of the game Everton were beaten at Goodison Park. For the defeat Everton had themselves to blame, their finishing being exceptionally poor. The approach work was good, but when once within goal range, Combination faltered, and numerous chances were missed. Stoke's breakaways were few and far between, but two in then last quarter of an hour resulted in Liddle and Taylor scoring. A few minutes from the end Sagar was hurt and went to left-back, O'Donnell taking his place in goal, but each had little to do to the end . Everton; - Sagar, goals, Common and O'Donnell, backs, Kelly, Kennedy, and Whyte, half-backs, Critchley, Easton, French, Weldon, and Lewis, forwards.


Friendly match

This friendly game gave Everton a chance of trying out several new players, and one or two gave promising displays. Dyke and O'Brien scored for Everton in the first half and Wolsly, who was making his debut for the Juniors reduced the lead. After the interval both teams played attractive football, but Everton always the better-balanced side.



aberdeen Journal -Monday 30 September 1929


During the first half of the football match between Portsmouth and Everton at Portsmouth on Saturday, Thomas Parker, spectator, of St Andrews Road, Southsea, collapsed and died. He was between fifty and sixty years of age.



September 1929