September - April 1883-84

Season 1883-84 (Prior-road) Costume changed; lighted blue and white quartered jerseys.

September 17, 1883. The Liverpool Mercury.
Everton began to play off their list of matches on Saturday in a game with Southport. The contested ended in a victory for Everton by three goals to nil. Teams:- Everton: Lindsay, goal; Morris and Marriott, backs; Parry, and Cartwright, half-backs; Williams, and Berry, right wing; Richards, and Higgins, left wing; McGill and Pickering, centre. Southport: Platt, goal; Baxter and Whittaker, backs; Ramsbottom and Rylands, half-backs; Melross and Martin, right wing; Briggs and Mellor, left wing; Burnett – Blundell and Ambler, centre. Referee, D. Lamont.

Everton v Southport
September 18 th 1883. The Liverpool Courier
These Association clubs met for the first time this season at Walton Stiles on Saturday, and after a well-contested game victory declared itself in favour of Everon. Southport kicked off against the win and sun, when Morris by a long return, gave the sphere to Richards, who carried it down to the corner flag, but failed in centring. Having got the ball down at the Southport end the Everton backs were in no hurry to let it come beyond their 25. After repeated runs by Berry, Williams, and Richards, Melross got away on the Southport right, but not being supported was robbed by the Everton backs. Parry, who was especially prominent, at last sent the ball well to Higgins, who sent a stringer into Platt, which he fisted out well, but only to have it returned by Pickering, whose shot just missed and rolled over the bar. Melross and Briggs now caused some anxiety to the Everton goalkeeper, but the home backs defended so well that he was only once called upon to use his hands. This break, however, was only momentary, for immediately McGill was again in front of the Southport goal, but being pressed he wisely crossed to Williams, who sent in flying shot, which although not successful, led to a hot scrimmage just under the Southport posts, Higgins, Richards, McGill, and Berry each having shots in succession, but which were repelled by Whittaker and Platt. Half-time being called McGill restarted the ball, and passed over to the left wing, and by a very neat and pretty bit of passing between Higgins and McGill Richards was enabled to score the first point of the game for Evertom amidst cheers. This was followed by a more beautiful piece of play still, for by a concerted run of the Everton forwards (Williams being conspicuous) the ball was again brought up to the Southport goal, and McGill sent in a low swift shot which beat the custodian, thus scoring the second point of the game for Everton. On restarting the game was all in favour of Everton whose forwards played a splendid passing game, and after a really good piece of manceuring by Parry,, who is again in his old place, and plays with more than his accustomed skill, Higgins, and McGill brought up the ball, and centring, gave Berry an opportunity to score, which he accepted. No further score was added, and the game resulted in a victory for Everton by three goals to nil. The most active among the Southport forwards was Ambler, who played a very plucky game. Teams; - Everton; - Lindsay, goal; Marriott and Cartwright, backs; Morris and Parry, backs; McGill, Pickering, Williams, Berry, Richards, and Higgins, forwards. Southport; - Platt, Whittaker, Ramsbottom, Blundell, Melrose, Briggs, Baxter, Rylands, Ambler, Martin, and Mellor, forwards.

September 22 nd 1883. The Liverpool Courier
Although the ball was set rolling in this district on Saturday last, there is as yet comparatively little to report. The Everton have got the bulk of their old team together, which has been materially strengthened by the accession of C. E. Lindsay in goal, and E. Berry (late of Liverpool) on the right wing. With Marriott and Parry again in their places at back and half-back, an advanced position has been accorded for Pickering as centre-forward, in conjunction with McGill. The match lists is a strong one, and in addition to the usual local features are fixtures with the vastly improved Preston North End club, Wrexham, Oswestry Port Vale, Burslem Crewe, and Eagley. The costume has been changed to light-blue and white quartered jerseys, and has quite a taking appearance, but far the most important departure is the change of ground to a private enclosure in Prior-road situation at the northeast corner of Stanley Park.
Today match; Wirrall v Everton.

Association football v Rugby
September 29 th 1883. The Liverpool Courier.
The signs of the times by no means favour the continuance of the Rugby game as the leading winter pastime, for already in districts that were regarded as strongholds of the code, the Association game holds undisputed sway. There are rumours of the early dissolution of the Bolton club, and at Preston, which in the past has gained so many county and international honours, the seeds of decadence have been thickly sown. Liverpool still fairly holds its own, but in the local Association it has a powerful rival at work, which unless vigorous counter –action is taken, must sooner or later operate to the disadvantage of the Rugby code, from the fact that, being united and more energetic, it is able to present a much larger number of attractive features. During the summer months the recently formed Rounders Association demonstrated the practicability of reaching the masses by means of good old English pastime which had well-nigh become obsolete. Already the question has been mooted of forming clubs under the Association code during the winter months, and although this may not be feasible at present, as season hence we may witness a great movement in that direction. By means of popular annual challenge competitions, Yorkshire, or more properly speaking the West Riding is the only English county able to complete with any degree of success with the younger pastime; although even there, in the extreme north and South, the Association code is triumphant. It need no prescience to foresee that the day is not far distant when the championing of the Rugby cause in the County Palatine must, in the natural order of things, chiefly devolve upon Manchester and Liverpool. It is open to the Seaport City to stimulate increased interest in Rugby football, and to gain higher position in the counsels of the shire. The hour has undoubtedly come –but where is the man to undertake the work of organisation? So long, however, as tolerably fair “gates” enable the leading clubs to meet expenses, outer projects, having for their object the perpetuation of the pastime, stand little chance of being dealt with; and thus, as in years gone by, the Rugbyites will enter upon their six months' tenure of the greensward, satisfied with the continuance of things as they are simply because they always were as they are. Meanwhile, however, new associations under the rival code are springing up all over the country, and everywhere there are indications of marked progress.

Everton (2d team) v Golbourne
October 1 st 1883. The Liverpool Courier.
This match was played at Golbourne on Saturday, and after a well-contested game resulted in a draw neither side scoring. Teams; - Everton; - W. Jackson, goal; R. H. Richards, and J. Williams, backs; J. Sinnott, and F. McGregor, half-backs; W. Williams, G. bell, W. brown, Dickinson, (sub), T. Scott, and J. Douglas, forwards. Golbourne; - Jenkinson goal; Bate and Waddington, backs; Redyard, Unsworth, and Dearden, half-backs; Hanborough, Dickinson, Collain, Morris, and Entwistle, forwards.

Everton v Eagley.
October 8 th 1883. The Liverpool Courier.
This match was played at Bolton on Saturday, and this being Everton's first appearance much local interest was centred in the match. The home team were strongly represented, but at the last moment the Everton were deprived of the services of their usual goalkeeper. Everton won the toss, and Eagley kicked off with a slight wind and the sun against them. The play from the first was brisk and exciting, both teams bring determined to secure a victory. For a short time no material advantage could be gained by either side, but at length Corless registered the first goal for Eagley. This seemed to acted as an incentive to the visitors, who, pulling themselves together, worked with increased vigour, with the result that after the lapses of a few minutes “Jones” was enabled to equalise matters, and just before half-time “Jones” again managed to evade the home custodian, and placed the second goal to the credit of Everton. On the change of ends, and with the wind in the favour, the home forwards became particularly active, and in a very short time Harslam passed the ball between the Everton uprights. On resuming, the ball was again worked into Everton's quarters, the backs having a lively time of it; Pickering in endeavouring to save being badly pushed through his own posts. Thus Earley had three goals placed to their credit. The game now became very fast, and the Everton forwards working well together, McGill took the ball up the field, and passing to Bell, enabled the latter to defeat the Eagley goalkeeper, which once more placed the teams on an equal footing. As time drew near the excitement was very great until within two minutes before the call of time, when McGill again scored, and Everton were left the winners of a stubbornly contested game by four goals to three. Team; - Everton; - J. Sinnott goal; R Morris, and Marriott, backs; J. Pickering, and W. Parry, backs; E. Berry, H. Williams, J. Richards, Jones, J McGill (captain), and G. bell, forwards.

October 8, 1883. The Liverpool Mercury
This match was played on the Eagley. Owing to the late arrival of the visitors, the game did not commence for over an hour after the advertised time. Everton won the toss, and Hewitson (Eagley) kicked off. Some spirited play took place the first goal being scored for Eagley, and Everton retaliating by scoring two in the first half. In the second half both teams scored two goals, the deciding one for Everton being gained about a minute before time was called. For the visitors, Richards on the left and Berry on the right were the best of the forwards, whilst the backs and goal keeper were excellent at defence. For Eagley R. Hall and Corless on the left were the pick of the forwards, and Derham. W. Hall and Hedley Morris were good at back. The following were the teams:- Everton; J. Sinnott, goal; T. Marriott and R.W. Morris, backs; J. Pickering, and W.H. Parry, half-backs; E. Berry, and D.H.Williams, right wing; J. Richards, and M. Higgins; left wing; G. Bell and J. McGill, centre. Eagley; J. Hall, goal; Singleton and J. Dorham, backs; W. Hall and Hedley Morris, half-backs; Souththorpe and Haslam, right wing; R. Hall and Corless, left wing; Hewiston and R. Cumming, centre. Mr. W. Gunning was umpire for Everton, Mr. J. Burgess for agley, and Mr. W. Jones, Eaglley was referee.

October 9, 1883. The Liverpool Mercury.
This match was played on the ground of the former, at Stanley Park, on Saturday. Everton won the toss, and elected to play with the wind as their backs, Holmes kicked off for St. George's and after some play of a give and take nature the home team put in some fine passing, and J. Mowbray, by a screw shot from the left, scored the first point for St. George's. On the ball being restarted, Everton pressed their opponents, and succeeded in scoring four goals during the first half one being objected to on the plea of “off side.” The Everton umpire gave it a goal and the St. George's umpires no goal. There being no referee, it was allowed to be kicked off from the centre. During the second half the home team scored two more goals, one by Holmes and one by J. Jolliffe. The game ended as follows: - Three goals and one disputed for Everton, and three for St. George's. St George's team; Goal, H. Halliday; full backs, W.J. Gibson, W. Mowbray; half-backs, W. Peel, Rev. J.G. McCubbin, S.G. Knight; forwards, T. Mowbray, A.K. Myles, J. Joliffe, H. Holmes, S. Cockayne. Everton; Goal; Jackson; Full backs; J. Williams, Richards; half-backs; Cartwright, Mercer; forwards W. Williams, Scott, E. Watson, T. Williams, Brown, Whiting.

Everton (2d team) v St. George.
October 9 th 1883. The Liverpool Courier.
Played at Staley Park, Everton claiming to be the winners by four goals to three. Gibson, T. Mowbray and W. Mowbray played a good game for St. George as did Brown, W. Williams, Scott, and J. Cartwright for Everton. One of the goals scored by Everton was disputed by the St. George's.

October 13 th 1883. The Liverpool District
There was a time notably in the days of the good old Bolton-Bradford C.C., when the district was famed for its hospitality to the stranger –when there was a generous desire to ensure the comfort of visitors from remote parts of the county. But now things are changed, and the generation of today lacks the genial spirit of the past. Such was the experience of the Evertonians on their visit to Eagley football community, who, on their defeat scrambled away without even bidding their visitors “good-bye.” Everton, although not so strongly represented as it might have been, had the satisfaction of scoring an honest victory by four goals to three, and perhaps to this cause was due the uncountless of the Eagleyites. They were lucky indeed, in obtaining three goals which would hardly have been the case had Lindsay, the new Everton goalkeeper, been able to accompany his team. Some people take defeat with a very bad grace, and it is evident the Eagleyites are of that class.
Today's matches
Crewe Alexandra v Everton, at Crewe
Toxteth Wanderers v Everton (2d team) at Sefton-Park.

Everton v Crewe Alexandra
October 15 th 1883. The Liverpool Courier.
This match was played at Crewe Alexandra on Saturday, in the presence of a goodly number of spectators. McGill won the toss and elected to play with an oblique wind slightly in the Everton's favour. Garney kicked off, but the ball was quickly returned, and for a time play was confined to the centre of the field. After a quarter of an hour had passed, Berry obtained possession, and racing along the wing sent in a hot shot which the Crewe goalkeeper just managed to hand out. McGill then became conspicuous, making one or two good runs, but with out success. The leather was now transferred to the visitors quarters, where Taylor Garney, and Preston put in some good work considerably inconveniencing the Everton backs, but the pressure was generally relieved by the fine tackling and heading of Marriott, who seemed to be always where he was most wanted. At half-time neither side had scored, and on change of ends it became manifest that matters would assume a much more animated appearance. Both sides were unremitting in their efforts to score, but for half an hour neither could obtain the coveted point. At length consequent upon an appeal, the Everton backs relaxed their efforts and the ball was passed between their posts, and on the referee being referred to he decided in favour of Crewe. The Evertonians now redoubled their exertions, but Preston and Wytcherly, by accurate kicking, prevented matters from becoming serious, until by a fine piece of passing on the right-wing' Berry possessed the ball, and screwing to the centre, enabled Williams to equalise matters rather cleverly. Nothing further was added, and at the call of time, each having scored one goal, the match resulted in a draw. Teams; - Everton; - Lindsay, goal; R. Morris and T. Marriott, backs; J. Pickering, and W. parry, half-backs; E. Berry, D. H. Williams, J. Richards, M. Higgins, J. McGill (captain), and W. Williams, forwards. Crewe; - Parry, goal; W. Lyon and W. Downes, backs; G. Wytcherly (captain), H. Benham, and W. Powell, half-backs; G. Taylor, B. R. King, G. Houghton, J. Preston, and W. Garney, forwards.

Everton (2d team) v Toxteth Wanderers.
This match was played at Sefton-Park on Saturday, and after a one-sided game resulted in a very easy victory for Everton by the eight goals and one disputed to nil. The winners played a combined game, the goalkeeper not once touching the ball. The backs kept the Toxteth forwards well down the field, and as the forwards played a good passing game, the score would have been larger had it not been for the back play of Polit and T. Williams. The goals were kicked by Bell (3), Proven (2), Brown (2), T. William's, and Jackson.

October 20 th 1883. The Liverpool Courier.
Collaterial form does not at all times furnish convincing evidence as to the status of a club, still, to a certain extent it is useful as indicating a certain degree of merit. A fortnight ago Everton, with a bona-fide team, certainly not its strongest, met and defeated the Eagley on their ground, and although the Eagleyites might possibly have been better represented, the fact remains that Everton without Lindsay their recognised goalkeeper, beat the Bolton surburdan club by four goals to three –a most creditable performance, the merit of which was more clearly shown a week later when Eagley, in the first round of the English cup ties, was brought face to face with Halliwell, who had previously created a flutter of surprise by defeating Dawren. In the contest with Halliwell, Eagley, slightly reinforced scored a most decisive victory over its neighbour by five goals to two, a feat which certainly enhances the reputation of the Evertonians. Simultaneously, Everton threw down the gauntlet to Crewe Alexandra, one of the best of the Cheshire clubs, and after a stubborn contest the game remained drawn, the score being one goal each. The report of the game may not have been quite accurate in all its details, and the Everton backs may not, as stated, have relaxed their efforts owing to a pending appeal, when the goal was scored against them –a point upon which there is a conflict of evidence –but it is agreed that the play throughout was of a very excellent and even character, neither side being able to gain any particular advantage. The Everton forwards are said to have lacked somewhat in combination, and thus may partly have been due to the nature of the ground, and a tendency to entrust too much work to the left wing forwards. With the right so materially strengthened, there is no longer any need to pursue this policy; and the Evertonians would do well to acquire a knowledge of the passing game in its most comprehensive phases. The Everton second team met and defeated the second string of the Toxteth Wanderers, and not the first, as seems to have been inferred from the report of the match.

Everton v Earlestown
October 22 nd 1883. The Liverpool Courier.
The above match took place at Earlestown on Saturday in most inauspicious weather. Everton won the toss, and Earlestown kicked off with a moderate win against them. The Play from first was decidedly heavy owing to the sodden nature of the ground with the recent heavy rains. Despite these adverse circumstances the Everton forwards at once showed up prominently, and after a fine display of the passing game McGill was enabled to score two goals in the first quarter of an hour. Five minutes later Berry placed the ball between the posts, but the point was disallowed by the referee on the plea of off-side play. Twenty minutes from the start rain fell copiously and continued with but slight intermission until the call of time. Notwithstanding the unfavorable elements, however, the players kept to the field, but with so many disadvantages to contend against, it would be invidious to discriminate against the relative merits of the teams. In the second half by a piece of downright hard work, the home team took the ball well up into the visitors' quarters, where Mather was successful in scoring the only goal for Earlestown; the ball striking the post and just slipping through. Nothing further was added by either side and eventually the game resulted in a victory for Everton by two goals to one. Teams; - Everton; - C. Twenlow, goal; R. Morris and T. Marriott, backs; W. parry, and J. Pickering, half-backs; E. Berry, D. H. Williams, J. Richards, M. Higgiins, J. McGill (captain), and W. Williams, forwards. Earletown; - J. Appleton, goal; R. Green and F. Emmett, backs; J. Whalley, and R. Bowker, half-backs; W. Rich, J. Mathers, J. Simms, J. Ogden, A. Dagnall, and J. Duxbury, forwards.

October 27 th 1883. The Daily Courier.
Everton's experience of the swamp at Earlestown was of a nature to be borne in remembrance, and more especially by Pickering, who as the sequence of an ill-advised charge, found himself floundering in a ditch filled to its utmost capacity with the pluvial elements. Goal-getting was a rarity, for after McGill had safely potted a couple, there was a long interregnum before any response was made, and at the close of an unenjoyable game, victory remained with the lucky Evertonians by two goals to one.
Today's matches.
Liverpool and District Association v Walsall District, at Prior-road (Everton ground) near Stanley Park.
Everton (2d team) v St. Benedict's at Stanley Park.

Liverpool and District v Walsall and District.
October 29 th 1883. The Liverpool Courier.
The initiatory match on the new ground of the Everton club, Prior-road, was played on Saturday, when teams representing the above associations met to try conclusions, and was on the whole a very propitious affair. There was a company of about a thousand present, and the manifestations of enthusiasm testified to the enjoyable and interesting character of the contest. The visitors were a fairly representative team, whist their opponents were the best eleven that has yet done battle for Liverpool. Both sides were well balanced, and though the game ended in a draw –three goals each' –Liverpool had the best of the fight, especially towards the finish. Fortunate in securing choice of stations the home team at once carried the play down the hill, and after repelling a hot shot by Berry, the custodian was beaten by McGill, but the goal was on appeal disallowed. Higgins in the continued assault was very active with shots, all of which, however, were ably repelled. Rushing along the right wing, the Walsall forwards became very aggressive; still Morris, Turner, and Bailey averted danger until McGill got away down the centre and initiated an attack which culminated in Plant scoring first goal. Upon the reverse Bishton at once took the play to the opponent's dominion, and Meakin getting past Bailey, equalised the record. Following this matters went on pretty smoothly for about ten minutes. Higgins, taking advantage of some undecided play on the part of Walsall on a claim that the ball had been over the line, passed over to Berry, the latter shooting through in brilliant style. The visitors almost immediately after replied with a second goal at the hands of Garbutt, and the interval arrived with the score equal. On the resumption of play, with the hill against them, the Liverpoolians were still enabled to keep up the attack the greater portion of the time. Dutton, during a flying visit to the home quarters, potted a third goal for Walsall, giving them the first time a bit in hand. Liverpool played up with great spirit from this point, and after McGill had headed through and the referee had vetoed the point, Plant, as the result of some good passing among the forwards, equalised matters, amidst cheers, by sending the ball skimming through between the keeper's knees and the posts, a well fought game terminating shortly afterwards in a draw. For Walsall, A. Jones, Bishton, Dutton, and Garbutt were the more conspicuous figures; whilst the Liverpool representatives played uniformly well. Teams; - Liverpool; - Bailey (Ramblers), goal; G. W. Turner (captain) (Ramblers), and R. Morris (Everton), backs; and J. Arlow (Stanley) and W.H. Parry (Everton), half-backs; W. H. Wilson (Stanley), E. Berry (Everton), G. Smith (Ramblers), J. McGill (Everton), G. Plant (Bootle), and M. Higgins (Everton), forwards. Walsall; - Icke (Walsall Town), goal; A. Jones (Walsall Swifts), and Reynolds (Walsall Town), backs; W. Dutton (Birmingham Excelsoir) and Shorter, half-backs; HH. Dyoss, (Walsall Swifts), Foster, (Darlaston Saints), and Meakin (Birmingham Excelsior), Garbutt Styche (Wednesday Town), and Bishton (Birmingham Excelsior), forwards.

November 3 rd 1883. The Liverpool Courier.
The meeting of the Liverpool and Walsall Association was not only a very enjoyable one, but, what is especially more gratifying, it marked a decided upward movement towards proficiency among local votaries of the dribbling game. The contest formed the inaugural festived at the new headquarters of the Everton F.C., and the smart appreance of the rival teams in their white and navy-blue customes with a goodly company flanking the carefully laid-out enclosure, combined to give the ground a most picturesque and business like aspect. The visitors it must be admitted were not the most powerful combination that could be dispatched from Walsall, but although it included amongst the eleven such experts as A. Jones, Bishton, Dutton, Garbutt, and Styche, the game was essentially one of ruse contre ruse , as at no period had either side an advantage of more than a point. The home representatives not merely held their own, as the result of a draw of three goals each, sufficiently demonstrates, but they got the ball beyond the Walsall custodian at least five times, two, of which the referee in his wisdom thought justified in voteoing. Each player fully merited the selection of the Liverpool executive. Bailey came out of a severe ordeal, between the posts with great credit, Morris and Turner (the old Edinburgh University captain) were safe defence, and Parry and Arlow put in good work especially the latter; whilst forward, Smith, McGill Plant, Higgins, Berry and Wilson played a sterling game, the maneuvering tactics of the last-named being greatly admired. The home representatives were perhaps less homogeneous than their opponents, but co-operative efficiency will come by practice, and with the rules anent “imported players” revised, there is every reason, after the promising display of Saturday, to believe that the district will, at no distant period, attain a high position in the football world.
Todays match.
Everton v Hartford St. Johns, at Prior road.

November 5, 1883. The Liverpool Mercury
These teams met at the ground of the Everton Club on Saturday, when some capital play was witnessed by the spectators. At half-time the score was equal, but on charging ends Everton, with the hill in their favour, scored two more goals, and eventually won by three goals to one. Williams scored the first goal for the winners and the remaining two were placed by McGill. Teams:- Everton: Lindsay, goal; R. Morris and T. Marriott, backs; J. Pickering, J. Preston, and W. Parry, half-backs; E. Berry, D.H. Williams, J. Richards, W. Williams and J. McGill, forwards. St. John's; Priest, goal; Rose (captain) and Blain, backs; Russell, Drinkwater, and Clarke, half-backs; F. Harper, Heywood, Davies, Eyres, and W. Harper, forwards.

Everton V Hartford St. John's
November 5 th 1883. The Liverpool Courier.
The above match was played on the new ground of the Everton club, Prior-road, on Saturday, in the presence of a goodly number of spectators. St. John's won the toss, and elected to kick down the hill. Williams kicked off, and the ball was at once taken into the Everton territory. The backs, however, relieved the pressure, and after a time the forwards worked their way up the hill. At this juncture the play of Rose and Blain for Hartford was beyond all praise, their accurate kicking being remarkably effective. At length, after about half an hour's play, by means of an excellent piece of short passing W. Williams was enabled to register the first goal for Everton. The home team did not long enjoy their advantage, for immediately the ball was restarted, the visitors, by a grand piece of passing, worked the ball down the hill, and in five minutes time matters were equalised. On the change of ends, and with the hill in their favour, the Everton forwards soon became aggressive, several shots being made at the St. John's goal. But for some time Rose and Blain prevented all attempts to reduce their citadel, whilst Harper and Heywood several times broke away, and caused Lindsay to use his hands. Berry at Length got possession, and after taking the ball down the wing passed to centre, where a “bully” ensued, McGill eventually kicking through the uprights. The Hartford men now resumed themselves, and endeavoured hard to equalise matters, but without avail. Several times were they on the point of scoring, but luck was against them. The ball was then kicked to the centre of the field where the Everton forwards with a grand rush raced down the field, McGill again scoring. No other point was made, and Everton were left the winners by three goals to one. Teams; - Everton; - Lindsay, goal; R. Morris and T. Marriott, backs; J. Pickering, and J. Preston, half-backs; E. Berry, D. H. Williams, J. Richards, W. Williams, and J. McGill, forwards. St. John's; - Prest, goal; Rose (captain), and Blain, backs; Russell, Drinkwater, and Clarke, half-backs; E. Harper, Heywood, Davies, Eyres, and W. Harper, forwards.

Ormskirk v Everton (2d team)
This match was splayed at Ormskirk on Saturday, and resulted in a victory for the home team by three goals to one. The winners played a strong game throughout. Teams; - Ormskirk; - J. Appleton, goal; WE Brown and J. Williams, backs; R. Rigby, WA Page, R. Glover, half-backs; W. Stretch, W. Graham, C.E. Huffes, Wisden, E. Glover, forwards. Everton; - Jackson, goal; Richards, and Cartwright, backs; Sinnett, Waters, half-backs; Marcry, McGregor, Willis, Evans, Douglas, and Scott, forwards.

November 10 th 1883. The Liverpool Courier.
The Hartford St. John's put in an appearance at the Everton ground, Prior-road, and notwithstanding some roughness in their play, which had a tendency to disturb the humanity of the meeting, victory eventually remained with the Evertonians by three goals to one. The Victors although a tolerably heavy team, considerably knocked about and many of them complain of bruises received during the game.
Todays matches.
Everton v St. Peter's Liverpool District cup, at prior road.
Everton v Liverpool Ramblers at Smithdown road.

Liverpool and District Cup
Everton v St. Peter's
November 12 th 1883. The Liverpool Courier.
These old Park opponents met at prior-road ground on Saturday in the first round of ties of the Liverpool and District Challenge Cup competition, but the weather being stormy there was only a limited attendance. Ellain started the ball uphill against a gusty wind, but could make no headway, as the ball was borne back rapidly upon the visitors, which being cleared Ellam' put in a good dribble, passing both half-backs, and backs, it was only arrested by Lindsay stepping out of goal. Again the sphere gravitated towards the lower ground, and after about fourteen minutes play, Berry gave the ball to Brown, who was successful in placing the first goal for Everton. After restarting, the admirable back play of Marriott prevented the Saints making progress up hill, and being gradually pushed back. Shortly afterwards Brown registered the second goal for Everton. This reverse had the result of causing the St. Peter's to work together with greater adhesion, and some capital defensive play was show during a protracted “bully” in the front of the home citadel, which, however, finally surrendered, Brown, who now had contributed his quota off winning goals. Following a brace of appeals “hands” the Evertonians headed by Welsh and bore down on the visitors' headquarters, and the custodian and ball were swept through, no quarter being given. Succeeding some fine play by Berry on the right wing, Parry sent in a capital “centre” from the left corner, which McGill headed through. Still the Saints were undaunted and twice scaling the hill, caused Lindsay to save with his hands. The ball however, was speedily took unto the lower ground, and a further “corner” was entrusted to Parry, the sphere' after a big struggle, was inadvertently put through the unfortunate St. Peter's stronghold by one of its own defenders; whilst to complete the rapidly acculated sequence of disasters H. D. Williams increased the Everton total to 7 goals, half-time them being reached. Aided by the wind, and with the ground in their favour, the churchmen on the change of ends pressed their opponents for several minutes, during which Lindsay had a capital opportunity of displaying his abilities as a goalkeeper. By dint of great exertions, however, his charge remained intact, and danger being stopped, Berry was enabled to exhibit his dribbling powers to the fullest advantage; but as the opposing winger (Taylor and D. Parry) were on the movement was barren of result. McGill's sequentially had a shy at the upright, but the point was not allowed, although a little later the Everton captain potted a brace of goals in quick success. In a final sally Berry from a pass, was enable score the tenth and last goal, it being then dark to discern the players at any distance, with “time” had actually been overplayed by several minutes. The game, which was of a remarkable pleasant, character throughout thus ended in favour of Everton by ten goals to nil. Brown second team man played so well for the winners as to entitle him to promotion; whilst for the losers Ellan played a capital game throughout. Teams; - Everton; - C.M. Lindsay, goal; R.W. Morris, and T. Marriott, backs; J. Pickering and H. Parry, half-backs; A.E. Welsh, half-backs, M. Higgins, J. Brown, J. McGill, E. Berry and D. H. Williams, forwards. St. Peter's; - R. Craig, goal; McLellan and Griffiths, backs, Crompton, J. a and Bell, half-backs; J. Taylor, D. Parry, Ellan, W. Robertson, and A. Robinson, forwards.

November 12, 1883. The Liverpool Mercury
This cup tie was played on the new ground of the Everton Club at Prior-road on Saturday, and resulted in favour of the home team by ten goals to love. Teams:- Everton; C.M. Lindsay, goal; T. Marriott, R. WQ Morris, backs; J. Pickering, W.H. Parry and A.E. Walsh, half-backs; M. Higgins, J. Brown, J. McGill, E. Berry, and D.H. Williams, forwards. St. Peter's R. Craig, goal; McLellan, Griffiths, backs; Copeland, J. Craig, and Bell, half-backs; J. Taylor, D. Parry, Ellam, W. Robertson, and A. Robertson, forwards.

November 12, 1883. The Liverpool Mercury.
The Ramblers, having scratched in favour of Wrexham in the English Cup tie, were enabled to place a strong team in the field against Everton, at Aigburgh, on Saturday, when a well-contested game resulted in favour of the home leven by two goals to one. The losers played a capital game all round. Teams: - Liverpool Ramblers: - A.B. Hull, goal; G.W. Turner (captain) and Sharman, backs; Inman and Grimsdale, half-backs; Barnes, Wilson, W. Rayner, G. Smith, Pattinson, and Harris, forwards. Everton; W. Hampton, goal; R.H. Richards and J. Cartwright, backs; J. Sinnot, and J. Preston, half-backs; T. Scott, McGregor, E. Watson, W. Evans, G. Bell and Mercer, forwards.

November 17 th 1883. The Liverpool Courier.
The Prior-road ground was occupied in deciding the claims of Everton and St. Peter's to enter the second round of the competition; but in this instance the issue was never for a moment in doubt. Fourteen minutes after the start, Brown, of the Everton forwards, found a vulnerable point in the St. Peter's armour, which forthwith was assailed with a fusillade so hot that seven capitulation's were noted by the time the interval was reached. On changing ends, and with the hill and a fierce gale in front, the process became more tedious; but still three additional goals were added to the total. The principal goal, getters were McGill (3), and Brown (2), the latter a young Scotsman of considerable promise, whom the Everton committee would do well to give a further trial.
Today match
Bootle Wanderers v Everton 2d teams at Marsh-Lane.

Everton v Burslem Port Vale
November 20 th 1883. The Liverpool Courier.
The first meeting of these exponents of the Association code took place on the new ground of the Everton club, at Prior-road, on Saturday, there being a fair attendance, notwithstanding the inauspicious state of the whether. From the moment the ball was set rolling the play was of a very even character, the interval being reached with the score nil. With the change of ends, and the hill in their favour, the visitors were enabled to press their opponents, until Reynolds broke through the defence of Lindsay, the home custodian, thus scoring the only goal of the match, a capital game thus ending in favour of the Staffordshire Charity Cup holders by one goal to nil. Teams; - Everton; - C. M. Lindsay, goal; R. W. Morris and T. Marriott, backs; Preston, Parry, and Pickering, half-backs; H.D. Williams, E. Berry, J. McGill (captain), Jones and Brown, forwards. Burslem Port Vale; - Baskerville, goal; Alcock, and Dane, backs; Bateman and Huskisson, half-backs; Hood, Davis, Brunt, Simpson (captain), Reynolds, and Bolton, forwards.

November 24 th 1883. The Liverpool Courier.
Everton went down before Burslem Port Vale, the holders of a district charity cup, this being the first defeat sustained since the commencement of the season. The teams were evidently very, evenly balanced, the winning goal of the Midland club being the only point scored in the match a point for which the visitors were indebted to an undoubted stoke of good luck.
Today's matches.
Everton v Croston, at Prior-road.
Everton (2d team) v Stanley Rovers, at Prior Park.

Everton v Croston.
November 26 th 1883. The Liverpool Courier
These clubs met for the first time on Saturday, at the new ground of the Everton club at prior-road. A pleasant but one-sided game resulted in favour of the Evertonians by eight to nothing, which score would certainly have been augmented but for the good defence shown by the Croston goalkeeper, who stopped many good shots. Lindsay, the home custodian, had comparatively little to do throughout the game. Everton team; - C. M. Lindsay, goal; R. W. Morris, and T. Marriott, backs; Preston, and W. parry, half-backs; D. H. Williams, Brown, McGill (captain), Pickering, M. Higgins, and Richards, forwards.

December 1 st 1883
Everton (2d team) v Gillibrand Rangers, at Prior road.

December 8 th 1883
Everton v Burslem Pot Vale, at Burslem
Everton (2d team) v Bootle Wanderers, at Prior-road.

Burslem Port Vale v Everton.
December 10 th 1883. The Liverpool Courier.
On Saturday the Everton team journeyed to North staffordshire to play the return match with the Charity Cup holders, which after a fast and exciting game ended in a draw –two goals each. Everton winning the toss, the ball was started by Reynolds, and McGill quickly securing possession passed to Gibson enabling the latter to shy at the home goal, but without avail. The ball was kicked off by Baskerville, when the home forwards made matters lively for the Everton backs. Morris and Marriott, however, were not to be denied, whilst Berry, with the aid of Pickering dashing along the right wing then centring to McGill, who passing to Jones, the latter made a grand shot, which the goalkeeper fisted out, but Jones renewing the attack, his shot this time taking effects 15 minutes having elsaped from the start. This success roused the home representatives, who mow playing up with great dash were not long before they made matters even, Reynolds doing the needful. The game was very even till half-time was called, when each side had scored one goal each. On changing ends it was thought the home team would have matters all their own way, but the Everton backs gave them all their work, till Bolton, after a splendid run along the right passed to Reynolds, who with a grand shot defeated Lindsay, thus scoring goal number two. The Evertonians now played up strongly, when Jones, after a splendid run along the left, centred to McGill, enabling that player, with a capital screw-shot to equaliser matters. Darkness was now setting in and each side tried their best to get the winning point, but to no avail. The game thus ended as above stated. For the Vale Reynold, Hood, Bolton, Simpson, and Dain played well; while the Everton team played well to a man. Teams; - Burslem; - Barkerville, goal, Dain, and Allcock, backs; Hodginson, Bateman, and Johnson, half-backs; Bolton, Simpson (captain), Reynolds, Davis and Hood, forwards. Everton; - C. M. Lindsay, goal; Morris, and Marriott, backs; Preston, and Parry, backs; Preston, and Parry, half-backs; Berry, Pickering, H. Richards, McGill (captain), Gibson, and Jones, forwards.

December 10, 1883. The Liverpool Mercury.
The Everton team met the Staffordshire Charity Cup holders in the return match, at Burslem, on Saturday afternoon and, after a splendidly contested game, a draw resulted, each side having scored two goals. Reynolds, for the cupholders, having started the ball, McGill, the Everton captain, quickly gained possession, and passing to Gibson, the latter levelled a shot at the home citadel, but without result. This brought about retaliation, and for a term the Everton backs had a lively time of it; but Morris and Marriott were fully equal to the emergency. Eventually Berry, aided by Pickering, ran the ball up the right wing, and centring to McGill, the latter transferred the sphere to Jones, whose shot was well fisted out; but renewing the attack. Jones beat the Burslem custodian, Everton thus scoring the first goal after 15 minutes play. Shortly afterwards matters were made even by Reynolds, and the score remained unchanged up to half-time. Soon after the change of ends, Reynolds from a pass by Bolton, scored again for the home team. With a goal now against them, the Evertonians played up with increased vigour, and Jones, after a run of great merit along the left, enabled McGill to once more equalise the score, and as darkness get in shortly afterwards the match remained drawn. Teams: Burslem; Baskerville, goal; Dain and Allcock, backs; Hodgkinson, Bateson, and Johnson, half-backs; Bolton, Simpson, Reynolds, Davies, and Hood, forwards. Everton; C.M. Lindsay, goal; T. Morris and T. Marriott, backs; J. Preston, and W. Parry, half-backs; E. Berry, Pickering, H. Richards, McGill (captain), W. Gibson, and Jones, forwards.

Everton v Bootle (2d team)
December 11 th 1883. The Liverpool Courier.
The above match was played at Anfield, on Saturday. The Wanderers started the ball, and for a time Everton pushed the opponents very hard, and at last from a good ball in front of goal D. Phillips scored the first for Everton. Upon the change of ends and now had the hill in their favour Everton got to work and gradually the ball was up the field but were successfully met by the backs. Jones and Kete receive and by judicious passing they neared the goal, and shot, but Brandreth cleared. Directly afterwards Bootle obtained a corner and the ball went through the post of the custodian legs. No further score was made and the game resulted in a draw of one goal each.

December 15 th 1883. The Liverpool Courier
So far the Everton form has been of a uniform character, better in fact in the out-matches than at the Prior-road enclosure, as was shown at Eagley, Crewe, and Burslem. In the drawn match with the Staffordshire Charity Cupholders on Saturday, although Everton was not so strongly represented on paper as on the first occasion of meeting, the Port Vale men admitted the play of their opponents to be quite three goals better. This was no small compliment, but the secret of the change lay in the abandonment of the “rambling” proclivities of certain members of the tea, which in the earlier matches undoubtedly disfigured the general play of the team.
Today's matches.
Everton v Gilnow Rangers, at Prior-road
Everton (2d team) v Gilnow Rangers, at Bolton.

Everton (a team) v Vulcan.
December 17 th 1883. The Liverpool Courier.
This match was played at prior road on Saturday, a pleasantly contested game resulting in favour of Everton by three goals to one. For the home team Preston, Scott, and Williams acquitted themselves well; and the visitors Gaffney, Walters, Hampson, and Young were the best. Teams; - Everton; - Hudson, goal; Preston and Glover, backs; B. Hughes and Douglas, half-backs; Williams, Scott, Wills, Willis, Jackson, and Parkin, forwards. Vulcan; - M Evans, goal; Lewis and Williams, backs; Young, and Melia, half-backs; Walters, Hampton, Harper, Williams, Barnes, and Gaffney, forwards.

December 24, 1883. The Liverpool Mercury.
This match in the second round of ties of the Liverpool and District Competition was played on the college ground at Fairfield on Saturday, in blustering weather, the high wind at times greatly militating against good play, although on the whole the game was well contested. In the first half the Ramblers, having the advantage of the wind and hill, scored a goal after fifteen minutes' play, this being the only point gained by either side up to half time. On the charge of ends, Everton speedily gained the ascendency. Higgins, after a few minutes' play, equalised the score, and directly afterwards McGill scored. Two more goals were added by Williams and Gibson, and eventually Everton won by four goals to one. Teams:- Ramblers; A.P. Eccles, goal; G.W. Turner, and H. Bewley, backs; R.M. Pilkington, A.M. Midwood and E.S. Brown, half-backs; E. Baxter, H. Baxter, H. Hempsey, W. Rayner, and H.S. Brown, forwards. Everton:- C.M. Lindsay, goal; R. Morris, and T. Marriott, backs; J. Pickering, W.H. Parry, and J. Preston, half-backs; E. Berry, D.H. Williams, J. McGill (captain), M.Higgins, and W.Gibson, forwards.

Liverpool and District Cup.
Liverpool Ramblers v Everton.
December 24 th 1883. The Liverpool Courier.
These clubs met in the second round of ties of the above competition at the Collage Grounds, Fairfield, on Saturday, but owing to the generally revailing uncertainty as to the locals of the match, the attendance, although satisfactory, was not so large as it certainly would have been had an official public announcement been made. In consequence of the late arrival of the Ramblers a start was not effected until 3-15, at which time McGill started the ball against the wind. Favoured by this influence, the Ramblers were enabled to attack with considerable vigour, each side early obtaining corner kicks. These passed off harmlessly, but immediately afterwards Rayner sent in a magnificent shot, which Lindsay coolly threw out amid applause. Everton now removed the venue of the play, and being promptly repulsed each side sustained a claim for “hands” whilst following a “foul” a well-directed shot by Midwood beat Lindsay, the Everton custodian, who made little or no effect to divert the course of the ball believing it would pass outside, and thus the Public School men scored their first and only goal. Still Everton were subjected to considerable pressure, and although they occasionally gained a footing beyond the centre, the fine back play of the Ramblers invariably forced them to assume a defensive attitude. Towards the close of the first “forty-five” Berry, Higgins, Gibson, and McGill made headway, and Everton gained a “corner” but the danger quickly passed away, and at half time the Ramblers were a goal to the good. Even on a change of ends, for several minutes the Ramblers continued to play up with great dash; and then there was a visible slackening of pace on the part of their forwards, although the backs continued to return with great accuracy. Eventually the Evertonians broke away, and after fifteen minutes' further play, Higgins sent in a grand screw-shot from the left, which completely beat Percy Eccles, and the score was equalised, this being the signal for an outburst of enthusiasms on the part of the numerous admirers of Mr. Houlding's boys. No sooner had play recommenced from midfield than Berry and Preston on the right fastened on the ball, and judiciously passing to the centre after a fast run, the Everton captain was enabled to score a further point for his side. Disaster seemed to have completely overtaken the Ramblers, for barely a minute had elapsed when Williams from a throw-in on the right, again rushed the ball through. The light had now began to fall away very much, which added to the increasing feebleness of the resistance of the Ramblers, gave Everton a great advantage. The Ramblers were never dangerous after this, whilst their well-trained opponents conscious of having victory well within the game, played up stronger than ever, the forwards especially displaying great actively. In the last minute of play Gibson came to the fore, and with a admirable shot scored the last point of the match, which left Everton the winners of a hard fought game by four goals to one. Pilkington, Midwood, Turner, and E. Stewart-Brown back, and Rayner and the Baxters forward played a capital game for the losing sides; whilst for Everton, Parry and Marriott back, and the whole of the forwards were seen to advantage. The following are the teams; - Everton; - C.S. Lindsay, goal; R. Morris, and T. Marriott, backs; W. H. Parry, J. Pickering, and J. Preston, half-backs; E. Berry, D. H. Williams, J. McGill (captain), M. Higgins, and W. Gibson, forwards. Ramblers; - A. P. Eccles goal; G. W. Turner and H. Bewley, backs; R. M. Pilkington, A. M. Midwood, and E. Stewart-Brown, half-backs; E. Baxter, H. Baxter, H. Dempsey, W. Rayner, and H. S. Brown, forwards. Umpires, Messrs, A. B. Hull, and Gunning; referee Mr. T. Evans.

December 29 th 1883. The Liverpool Courier.
One of the most important matches of the Liverpool competition was decided at the College grounds, Fairfield on Saturday, the teams being Everton and the Ramblers. Both were admirably represented, and except for the disturbing influence of the wind, one of the finest local games of the season was played. The Ramblers acquitted themselves splendidly during the first half of the game, but eventually the full periods of “forty-five” proved to exacting for the stamina, and once the breach was made the Evertonians became irresiable. Everton had undergone a course of hard training for the event –practising by moonlight even in the absence of other opportunities and thus it was that when the Ramblers showed the faintest symptom of exhaustion their opponents dashed away in unison, and within the last half hour of play scored no fewer than four goals. Few even of Everton's supporters gave them credit for the patience with which they aviated the find struggle in the twilight, or believe them capable of the effort which brought so much success. Although defeated, the score is by no means a reflex of the general character of the Ramblings' play. For a full hour held the triumph card, and even longer the backs continued to play up magnificently. Pilkington play throughout being of the finest description. When Higgins led the way to victory the Everton “whisper” was heard a quarter of mile away. It was curious to note how at times juncture the spectators crowded behind Percy Eccles in goal, as if conscious that there the issue would be fought out. And so it was Williams then McGill, and finally Gibson beat the Cantab, and amidst a characteristic demonstration Everton successfully passed through the ordeal of the second round of the local competition.
Todays match
Everton v Bootle Wanderers, at Marsh-lane.

January 2 nd 1884
Everton v Toxteth (2d teams),

January 9 th 1884
Everton v Crewe at Prior-road
Everton v Eagley at Bolton (2d teams)

Everton v Crewe Alexandra
January 14 th 1884. The Liverpool Courier.
The return match between these Association clubs was brought to an issue at the Prior-road ground on Saturday in the presence of about 500 spectators. The Evertonians were unable to place their cup team in the field owing to the absence of Lindsay, their goalkeeper, and Morris which necessitated the service of McGill, their centre although very lame, being requisitioned. The visitors were well represented, and a hard-fought game remained drawn as on the first occasion of meeting the score being one goal each. At 3-20 Snelson started the ball on behalf of Crewe, and after a few minutes even play the visitors made a well sustained attack upon the home citadel which surrendered to a splendid high shot by Benhan, who was ably assisted by some smart heading on the part of Downs. On restarting the ball was promptly taken downhill, by Berry and Williams and on a transfer to the left, the final shot passed just outside the post, whilst later a clean shot by Gibson was capitally handed on by Parkin, the Crewe custodian. After a sharp but futile fusillade, Everton obtained a couple of corners, which proving of no advantage, the sphere again found its way to the higher ground. A speedy clearance was effected, and as the result of a free kick directed by Marriott, McGill, who had now gone forward, shot the ball through the Crewe upright and brought the score on terms of equality amidst applause, half-time being called immediately afterwards. On restarting some excellent give-and-take was shown, during which Preston served a dangerous shot. Crewe having enjoyed an unprofitable “corner,” Wycherley drove the ball from midfield over the line, and following a smart run by Gibson, excellent defensive play was repeatedly contributed by Preston. An additional “corner” had fallen to Crewe, when Williams and Berry were seen in a free passing run on the Everton right; whilst in sequence Finlay (who had changed position) and Gibson, on the left, were equally effective. The whole mass of the Crewe players now concentrated their efforts on the Everton stronghold, which, after a sharp but vigorous bully, was relieved by McGill, who brought out the ball in grand style. In the last few minutes of play Taylor made a fast run down the Crewe left, but the home citadel was so well guarded as to be unapproachable, although a hot shot from the Crewe centre just cleared the bar. From mow to the close of play the Evertonians maintained a defensive attitude, until eventually the game terminated as above indicated; and as Marriott and Williams received slight injuries during the contest, great credit is due to the home team for their successful defence. The Crewe forwards played a splendid passing game while Wytcherley at back distinguished himself greatly. Teams; - Everton; - J. McGill, (captain), goal; T. Marriott and H. Richards, backs; J. Pickering, J. Preston, and W. parry, half-backs; E. Berry, D. H. Williams, W. Finlay, M. Higgins, and W. J. Gibson, forwards. Crewe; - H. Parker, goal; G. Wytcherley (captain) and W. Downs, backs; H. Benhams, R. Fenn, and W. Powell, half-backs; G. Cookson, J. E. Watkins, T. Sneldon, G. Taylor, and G. Hooton, forwards.

January 19, 1884. The Liverpool Courier.
For the second time this season Everton and Crewe Alexandra played a drawn game, after an hard a fought contest as can well be imagined. Everton had intended to place their full team in the field, but were at the last moment disappointed by Lindsay, their goalkeeper, and Morris, a reliable back. McGill, who owing to an accident had been compelled to stand out of the team, was consequently placed in goal, and this proving disastrous, the club captain took up his old position as centre-forward, and although scarcely able to limp about actually proved the saviour of his side by scoring the equalising goal. How, in the face of such onslaughts as were directed against the Everton citadel defeat was avoided is a mystery; but to Preston, more than any other member of the home team, in due the credit of this meritorious achievement. The Alexandea with perhaps a single exception, were in splendid form, their passing, heading, and tricky play being so remarkably clever that they naturally felt disappointed at the result.
Todays match.
Everton v Oswestry, at Prior-road
Everton v St. George, at Stanley Park (2d team)

January 26 th 1884
Everton v Bootle Wanderers, at Prior-road
Everton v Bootle Wanderers
February 28 th 1884. The Liverpool Daily Post
We have seen game contested under adverse circumstances, but are quite prepared to give the palm to Saturday afternoon at Marsh-lane where the above clubs met to decided the district cup. The wind blew half a gale from goal to goal, and a drenching downpour of rain, interspersed with hail, continued throughout the match, the ground being a perfect quagmire. The Bootle team were not strongly represented and started one man short, but even with this drawback they played a most plucky game. Teebay being the most conspicuous amongst the forwards, whilst Cotton was the pick of the backs. The Everton team on the whole played a good game. Two thirty-five being agreed to and Everton winning the toss Guy kicked off at 3-35 against the wind. Higgins got possession and shot the ball through the posts about a minute after the start whilst Teelay astonished the Evertonians not a little by doing the same services for Bootle almost directly after, Everton now pressed the home team very hard, and a well directed shot from Gibson defeated Hughes, a third goal being negotiated by the same player from a scrimmage close to goal. Guy eased the pressure temporarily but Higgins dribbling with rare dash, was soon by the enemies quaters. Cotton tackled smartly, but McGill had a shy at goal, which was well turned aside by Hughes. From a good bully in front of the Bootle fortress, H. Williams registered a fourth point. Ends were now changed, but even with a advantage of the strong wind Bootle could make little headway against the visitors, whose superior passing kept them in check. A run by H. Williams and Berry enabled McGill to kick the fifth goal. From the kick off Guy and Teebay made an incursion to the visitors end, where some fairly good play was exhibited a long shot from Teebay ultimately slipping over Lindsay's head. No further score was made the match thus ending in a win for Everton by five goals to two. Teams; - Everton; - C.M. Lindsay goal; R. Morris and T. Marriott backs; J. Pickering, J. Preston, and W. M. Parry, half-backs; Gibson, M. Higgins J. McGill, E. Berry, and D.H. Willaims, forwards; - Bootle; - F. Hughes goal; J. Cotton (captain), and J. G. Griffiths, backs. J. Morris, H. Hughes, and J. Fogg half-backs; J.H. Smith, J. Guy, E. Stromes, J.A. Teebay and H. Hampton, forwards.

February 2 nd 1884
Everton v Croson, away
Everton v Golbourne, Prior road.

February 4 th 1884. The Liverpool Courier
Liverpool and District v North Wales
C. M. Lindsay, goal, T Marriott J. Preston, E. Berry, J. McGill, M. Higgins played for the Liverpool and District, at Bootle club Hawthorn-road, in front of 500 spectators. The game ending in a draw of two goals each.

Everton v Ormskirk
February 11 th 1884. The Liverpool Courier
These clubs met at the Prior-road ground, Anfield, on Saturday, but the match being hastily arranged there was only a limited attendance. The Everton captain having won the toss, elected to play up hill, the game being continued for 35 minutes, during which time each side scored a goal. A heavy rainstorm then swept over the enclosure, compelling the players to beat a retreat, thus leaving the game in an unfinished state. Teams; - Everton; - Joliffe, goal; R. Morris, and T. Marriott, backs; W. Parry and J. Preston, half-backs; D. H. Williams, W. Williams, M. Higgins, W. Gibson, W. Finlay and E. Watson, forwards. Ormskirk; - P. Peet, goal; W. Brown and W. Williams, backs; R. Glover, and W. A. Page, half-backs; C. Hughes, W. Stretch, Gramham, Seddon, T. Parker, and E. Glover, forwards.

Everton (2d team) v Linacre Wanderers
This match was played at Marsh-lane on Saturday, and resulted after a one-sided game in favour of Everton by seven goals to a disputed goal. The goals for the visitors were scored by Evans (3), Newton, Douglas, Scott, and Bell. Everton team; - Willie, goal; R. H. Richards, back; H. Batho, McGregor, and F. Parry, half-backs; T. Scott, Douglas, Brown, W. Evans, Newton and Bell, forwards.

February 16 th 1884. The Daily Courier.
A scratch match was arranged by Everton with Ormskirk last Saturday in lieu of the Wrexham fixture but a deluge on a small scale drove the players after thirty-five minutes play when the scored stood Everton two goals to one.

February 23 rd 1884. The Liverpool Courier
The competition of the District cup is now fast reaching its final stage, the events of Saturday having reduced the list of claimants to be regarded the premier club of the year to three, Everton, Stanley, and Earlestown. Thus we have two Liverpool clubs left to fight out the battle for the honour of the city, and as the final draw resulted in Everton obtaining the bye, there is a fair prospect of one of the other of the city clubs pulling through. The Everton form has been most consistent during the season having thus far only sustained one defeat and that by Port Vale, the winners last year of the North Staffordshire Cup. The set off against this is a victory over Eagley, a couple of drawn games with Crewe Alexandra, and one with Port Vale.
Today's matches.
Everton v Eagley, at Prior road
Everton v St. Benedict's at Stanley Park, (2d teams)

Eagley v Everton
February 25, 1884. The Liverpool Daily Post
This match was played at Prioy-road Everton, before a fair number of spectators, who were rewarded by witnessing a well-contested game especially in the first half, when the visitors played up hill. During the second half a number of disputes arose through the persistent manners in which H. Hall placed himself offside, the infringements in each case unfortunately for Everton, being unobserved by the referee. Everton, winning the toss played down hill, at 3-55 Hewitson kicked off; Morris returned and Haywood saved a clinking shot from Parry. Ratclife and Hewiston now put in some goodwork, the home end being invaded and Marriott clearing. McGill rattled down the centre, a corner accruing, Parry taking the kick, placed the globe neatly in front, and Gibson rushed it through. The ball now travelled to each end in turn, Everton gaining several corners, which were rendered abortive through the fine back play of the visitors. Hall created a diversion, bringing the ball up the left, but McGill, Gibson and Higgins soon had it back, and from a warm scrimmage in front of the Eagley fortress. Everton gained a second goal, the ball going through off Rothwell from Henry Williams. Corless and Hall now came in for notice, and, added by Durham Hewiston sent in a couple of capital shots which were well stopped by Munro, Finlay now got the leather over to Gibson, who, with Higgins, opened a brisk fusillade on the visitors' stronghold, Rothwell's goalkeeping at this point receiving well-merited applause. Many shots were sent in by Everton, but the direction was bad, and it was only from another stiff scrimmage that H. Williams managed to score the third goal. From the kick off Ratcliffe and Corless brought the leather well up. The latter screwing across, Haslam made a capital shot the ball just passing over the right corner of the upright. Half-time now arrived and after a short pause McGill re-started the leather. Durham made a good return, and for some time Everton was entirely on the defensive, a good screw shot from Hall enabling Haslam to score first goal for Eagley. Immediately after the kick off the pressure on the home goal was resumed, two corners falling to Eagley in quick success Higgins and Pickering return clearing their lines. McGill here put in a useful dribble, but sticking too long, was robbed of the ball by Whittle, a strong kick by Evans sending it travelling rapidly to the Everton end, where through some misunderstanding between Marriott and Munroe, Haslam secured an easy goal. Again was the home citadel besieged. Hewiston passing to Haslam, and the latter to Hall, the player put the ball through, but was so clearly off side that much surprise was evinced when it was found that the score was allowed. From this point the call of time, with few expectations, the home backs were kept busy, Sculthorpe evading the home custodian by a fine shot and from a well-placed corner by Whittle a fifth goal was scored just before the whistle was sounded, leaving Eagley the victors by five goals to three. Teams; - Eagley; - Rothwell, goal; E. Jones and W. Haywood, backs; J. Whittle, and J. Durham (captain) half-backs; R. Hall, W. corless, J. Hewiston, J. Ratcliffe, J. Haslam, and T. Scoulthorpe, forwards. Everton; - J. Munroe, goal; R. Morris, and T. Marriott backs; J. Pickering, and W. H. Parry, half-backs; M. Higgins, W. Gibson, J. McGill, W. Finlay, E. Berry, and W. H. Williams, forwards.

Everton (2d team) v St. Benedict's
Liverpool Courier
Played at Stanley Park, on Saturday, and resulted in a victory for Everton by four goals to nil. Joliffe and Parry played best for St. Benedict's, and Welsh and Newton best represented Everton.

March 1 st 1884. The Liverpool Courier
In reference to the match between Everton and Earlestown announced to be played at the Prior-road today, the following communication has been received from Mr. J. Duxbury, Hon secretary of the Earlestown F.C., -“You will no doubt be aware that our return match is fixed for next Saturday on your ground, but owing to the present position of our club in the Liverpool Cup competition, I am directed to cancel the fixture for next Saturday. The committee thinks it advisable to allow our first team to meet yours at present, but I am empowered to arrange for the match to be played a little later on in the season. Last night, however, Mr. Watson secretary of the Everton club, received a telegram stating that the fixture consideration the Earlestown committee had decided to fulfil their engagement and the match will therefore be played at Prior-road, Anfield.
Today's matches
Everton v Earlestown, at Priory-road
Everton v Earlestown (2d teams) at Earlestown

March 3, 1884. The Liverpool Mercury.
This match under Association rules was played at the ground of the former, Priory-road, on Saturday; and as Everton and Earlestown are two of the three clubs remaining in the Liverpool and District Challenge Cup competition, considerable interest centred in the event, especially after the decisive way in which Earlestown disposed of the holders. The game, however, ended in a great surprise, as the Earlestown representatives were outplayed from beginning to end Everton being the winners by nine goals to nil.

Everton v Earlestown
March 3 rd 1884. The Liverpool Daily Post
More than ordinary interest was attained to this match owing to the fact that the Earlestown team beat Bootle (the cupholders) in their tie for the District Cup, but from the form display on Saturday, it looked as if the visitors had not quite got over the effects of their late victory, as the game on Saturday was very one sided Everton winning by nine goals to nil. The only redeeming point was the goalkeeping of Champion, which was well worthy of praise. Everton won the toss, and played uphill. Elliosn kicked off give and take being the order for a short time, until a pass from the centre to the left gave Higgins a chance, which he utilised scoring first goal be a grand screw kick. Morris missing a return by J. Green, Rich got possession, and passing to Slim and Cameron, a corner was gained, but was not improved on. From the goal kick Higgins and Gibson got well off, and a corner fell to Everton. The ball being nicely placed, Richards ran it through the upright. Rich and Cameron again came in for notice, but the home backs being too strong no headway was made. Ellison, from a pass by R. Green, dribbed up the centre into Everton territory, but being badly backed up, Morris checked his career and the home forwards made a combined attack on the Earlestown citadel McGill notching the third goal. This brought half-time. Without any loss of time the teams crossed over. Everton now having the hill in their favour and three goals to the good, the visitors' chances looked gloomy. From the kick off Preston and Henry were busy, the sure tackling of the former being much admired. Cameron Rich, and Ellison worked very hard to stern the side of misfortune but a surprise was in store as Morris from nearly midfield, kicked a capital goal, and soon after from a scrimmage near the visitors posts, Gibson registered the fifth goal. The visitors left now spurted up, but a long pass by Marriott enabled Henry Williams to add the sixth point. Soon after the kick off Eminett stopped a shot from Richards with his hands, but by dint of hard work the back division prevented Everton improving on the free kick obtained thereby. Cameron and Rich now gave their backs a temporary relief, and gaining a free kick in the home end their chances looked better, but Whalley's attempt was bad, the ball going harmlessly over, and Everton retaliated by scoring the seventh goal from the head of McGill, a neat pass again by henry enabling Higgins to add another. Ellioson kicked off, and aided by Cameron, made a dashing attempt to score, and for the first time Lindsay had to save with his hands. Throwing the globe clear, Marriott fed the ball forward, and after a few exchanges McGill registered the ninth goal, the whistle soon afterwards being call of hostilities with the result above. Everton; - C. M. Lindsay, goal, R. W. Morris and T. Marriott, backs; J. Preston, J. Pickering Parry, half-backs; Higgins, W. Gibson, J. McGill, D. H. Williams, and W. Richards. Forwards.

March 8 th 1884. The Liverpool Courier.
After a little pressure Earlestown were induced to keep their club fixture with Everton last Saturday. The reason advanced for a desire on the part of Earlestone to postpone the engagement was the possibility of an early meeting in the Liverpool and District Cup. Judging by the result the cup ought to be an exercise canter for Everton, who are indulged with a bye, Everton having to meet Stanley in the semi-final. But I can hardly swallow the nine goals to nothing defeat of Earlestown as a genuine affair, when it is remembered how easily Bootle were defeated by them a week or two ago. It seems like talking nonsense to say that the Earlestown custodian kept goal well with nine points scored; yet I am assured that such was the case, and with a weak man in the position the number would have been doubled. This speaks well for Everton forwards, whose shots must have been well directed.
Today match
Everton, Anfield v Everton (2d teams)

March 15 1884
Everton v Linacre Wanderers (2d teams)

Everton v Southport
March 17 th 1884. The Liverpool Courier.
The above match took place on Saturday last on the ground of the latter, at Southport, in glorious weather and in the presence of a goodly number of spectators. The Southport team was fully represented, but at the last moment the Everton team were minus three of their best men, viz, McGill, Morris, and Preston, whose places were filled from the 2 nd team. Southport won the toss, and elected to play with the sun at their backs. At 4-5 Brown kicked off, but the ball was quickly returned, and throughout the first half the home team held a slight advantage over their opponents. After half an hour's play a corner fall to Southport, and the ball being well placed was neatly headed through by Morris. On changing ends the victors, working more together, caused the home backs to act on the defensive, and after some give-and-take play, Higgins obtained possession, and centring, well to Gibson, the last named made matters equal. The home team, however, were not to be denied, as shortly after the ball being kicked off, Morris was again enabled to score. From the kick off, the visitors' forwards worked the ball up the field, and Gibson again put it between the posts, but was ruled off-side. Within a short time of the ball being restarted the Everton left wing became conspicuous, and Brown getting possession, defeated the goalkeeper, thus again equalising matters. Nothing further of importance occurred and at the call of time the game remained drawn each side having scored two goals. Teams; - Everton; - Lindsay, goal; T. Marriott and. Richards, backs; W. Parry, F. McGregor, and J. Pickering, half-backs; E. Berry, H. Williams, M. Higgins, W. Gibson, and W. Brown, forwards. Southport; - Platt goal; Blundell and Baxter, backs; Dalby, Ramsbottom, and Johnson, half-backs; Morris, Melross, Briggs, Martin, and Mellor, forwards.

Liverpool District v Manchester District
March 24 th 1884. The Liverpool Courier.
The second meeting of these organisations took place on the Bootle Club ground on Saturday, the game being witnessed by about 800 persons. The Liverpool and District winning by three goals too two. C. M. Lindsay, T. Marriott, R. Morris, and J. McGill, played for the Liverpool District.

Liverpool and District Cup Final tie
Victory of Everton
Everton v Earlestown
March 31 st 1884. The Liverpool Courier.
Extraordinary interest was manifested in the final match of this competition which was brought to a close at the neutral ground of the Bootle club, Hawthorn-road, on Saturday, in the presence of quite 2,500 spectators, a large number of whom accompanied the Earlestown team in the anticipation of a complete reversal of the result of the recent club fixture. Amongst those present were Mr. W. Earle, Mr. E. Stewart-Brown, Mr. A. B. Hall, Mr. T. Evans, Mr. H. A. Bailey, Mr. Lythgoe, and a large number of other ardent supporters of the Association game. Last season, it will be remembered Everton were the runners up to Bootle, while this is the first season's appearance in the competition of the Earlestownians, who latterly have made such good progress that they were through to posses a good chance of success. The Earlestown men put in a prompt appearance and when a little later the Liverpool players entered the arena they were cordially received. The usual preliminaries giving resulted to the advantage of the Everton captain, no time was cut to waste, and shortly before 3-30 Daggall in behalf of Earlestown started the game Marriott returned, and the ball being received by the Everton left, a free kick for “hands” in front of the Earlestown's upright passed off harmlessly. Straight afterwards McGill infringed the rule, and having paid the penalty, the Everton captain caused Champions to kick out for safety. Shots now began to fall heavily on the Earlestown citadel, the principal aggressors being Pickering and Gibson. Preston meanwhile being very conspicuous in feeding the forward rank. At length the siege was raised and Earlestown gained a corner kick, which Gibson turned to a trifling advantage, only, however, to be neutralised by a free kick conceded to Earlestown –palpably a mistake on the part of the umpire. The Earlestown centre, composed of Simms, Cameron, and Dagnall, now broke away, and on being checked, Higgins, and Parry again transferred hostilities to the opposites end, a final shot at goal passing outside, whilst a closely following shot by McGill compelled Champion to use his hands. Occasionally Earlestown made incursions beyond the centre, but never became dangerous. Duxbury had contributed a fine bit of play, when Williams scouring possession spoiled a good chance by a wild shot at goal, succeeding which a capital passing movement was executed by McGill, Berry, and Williams the former eventually being met by Bowker in front of goal. Notwithstanding some clever heading by Berry and Preston, Whalley eventually cleared danger, and half-time was reached without a goal being scored, Lindsay, the Everton goalkeeper, not having once touched the ball. The excellent defence of the Earlestown backs and goalkeeper excited much enthusiasm among the supporters of the country club, but this was somewhat damped when, shortly after McGill had restarted the ball, Rich and Morris came into violent collision, especially as this necessiasted a suspension of play and the temporary retirement of the former. On resuming Gibson on the Everton left took up the ball, and centring McGill delivered a hot shot into Champion's hands. From now, for a brief interval, the play assumed a more even and interesting character, the cheers for Earlestown being loud as Duxbury and Dagnall headed an attack which caused Lindsay for the first time to use his hands. For a while the play was fast and exciting, Cameron and Whalley for Earlestown and Parry and Higgins for Everton playing up with marked ability. Rich having rejoined Ellison on the Earlestown right, was entrusted with a “corner” which being overshot, a further advantage in a free kick fell to the Earlestownians. This was well met by the Everton backs, who passed over to Berry and the latter taking the ball along the wing delivered the ball to the centre, when brief scrimmage ensued. At this critical juncture Parry rushed up and shot the ball through the Earlestown uprights amidst tremendous cheering, some twenty minutes having elapsed from the time ends were changed. An objection was raised on the plea of off-side play, but as the referee declared he had not seen any informality the point was recorded. A moment later Gibson shot hard from the left, the ball striking the upright and failling outside. No sooner had the game been restarted than Higgins and Preston traversed the sphere into Earlestown's quarters, the final shot of Williams being again erratic. Still the onslaught was maintained, McGill being prominent in the attack while the defensive play of Duxsbury and Emmett was very fine. Thus Everton continued to have the best of the play and the worst of the umpiring until, by a series of throw-in, the Earlestowns forced their way to the opposite end, where Simm from the left sent in a hot shot to Marriott. Again Earlestown had the ball at the corner, but nothing came of it, and the lines being cleared Preston contributed some exceedingly clever play, which enabled the Everton captain to make a futile shot at goal, the ball going high over the bar. Gibson also failed, and on Emmett, who was ably supported by Rich transferring the play to the Everton camp, Cameron sent in a stinger, which Lindsay repelled so cleverly that he was warmly applauded. Again the Evertonians were on the ball, and were ranged up in front of the Earlestown citadel, when the whistle blew announcing no side,” leaving Everton the proud winners of the district trophy and gold medals by one goal to nil, after a hard fought game. Champions in goal played superbly for the losing side, and the backs were in splendid form, while for Everton, what little fell to Lindsay, was admirably done, the pick of the hackers being Marriott, Preston, and Parry, the forward play falling mainly upon Higgins, Gibson, and Berry. On the result becoming known there was great rejoicing in Everton, the winning team being driven triumphantly through the streets. The following are the teams; - Everton; - C.M. Lindsay, goal; T. Marriott and R. Morris, backs; J. Pickering, W. Parry, and J. Preston, half-backs; E. Berry, and D. H. Williams, right wing; J. McGill (captain), centre; M. Higgins, and W. Gibson, left wing; umpire Mr. Gunning. Earlestown; - Champions, goal; R. Rich and F. Emmett backs; J. Whalley, J. Duxbury, and R. Bowker, half-backs; W. Rich, and J. Ellison, right wing; Dagnall, centre; J. Simm, and J. Cameron, left wing; umpire, Mr. P. Hasty. Referee C. A. Carter.

March 31, 1884. The Liverpool Mercury.
Everton v Earlestown
This final tie between Everton and Earlestown was played on the neutral ground of the Bootle Club, in the presence of 2500 spectators, victory after a hard fought game resting with the Evertonians by one goal to nil. Earlestown started the ball, which, being returned by Marriott was quickly taken possession of by the Everton forwards, who maintained a continuous shooting in the first half of the game, but were not scoring owing principally to their faulty shooting at goal. On changing ends the play was of a more even character, the Earlestown men now playing with characteristic vigour. About twenty minutes had elapsed when Berry, took the ball up the Everton right unchecked, and centring well Parry rushed up, after a short scrimmage and shot the ball through the Earlestown upright. Everton winners of the district cup trophy. Champion for the losers played a capital game in goal; as did also Lindsay for the winning team, although he was not often called upon to defend his charge. Teams:- Everton:- C.M. Linday, goal; R. Morris and T. Marriott, backs; Pickering, W. Parry and J. Preston, half-backs; E. Berry, and D.H. Williams right wing; J.McGill, (captain), centre; M. Higgins, and W. Gibson left wing; Mr. J. Gunning umpire. Earlestown; T. Champions; and R. Green (captain) and F. Emmett, backs; J. Whalley, Duxbury, and R. Hawker, half-backs; J. Ellison, and W. Hich, right wing; J. Dagnall, and J. Cameron, left wing;

April 5 th 1884. The Liverpool Courier.
This season's competition of the Liverpool and District Association has been successful beyond even the most sanguine hopes of its promoters. It was certainly anticipated that the final game between Earlestown and Everton for the championship of the district would attract a goodly attendance, and it may be taken as an evidence of the rapidly increasing popularity of the game that, notwithstanding the many powerful attractions that stood in the was on Saturday, upwards of 2500 spectators completely encircled the players. A wonderful amount of interest was evinced in the play, and considering the members of official blunders committed –partial or otherwise –the great crowd was remarkably tolerant. Everton certainly was a great sufferer in this respect. Once an Earlestown man charged down on an Evertonian, and on an appeal being made for a foul the aggressor was awarded a free kick! While later on a preposterous claim for “hands” was sustained when an Evertonian clearly headed the ball. Everton however, always had the best of the game, and it is a somewhat remarkable fact that, in a fast game like that on Saturday, Lindsay (the Everton goalkeeper) during the first half of the game enjoyed a complete smecure, never once being called upon to touch the ball; and yet, it seemed as if the game were destined to terminate without a decisive point being scored, for the second half was well advanced before Parry got up during a scrimmage, and lowered the colours of Earlestown. This one point decided the fortunes of the day, for although Everton had many shots at their opponents' stronghold, they were in the main so illdirected that they failed to take effect. The victory of Everton was an immediately popular one.

Everton v Burscough
April 7 th 1884. The Liverpool Courier.
The Liverpool cupholders played their first match at Burscough on Saturday before a goodly assemblage of spectators, and although they did not place in the field their full cup team, they scored a decisive victory by eight goals to one. Although at the outset the home players had the advantage of the wind, McGill, after 20 minutes play, scored for Everton, this point ten minutes later being equalised by a good shot by Baldwin. At half-time, however, the game stood two goals to one, in favour of Everton. Berry scoring the second goal for the winning side. Following the change of ends the visitors had all the best of the play, and scored rapidly, the game terminating as above mentioned. Everton team; - R. Morris, goal; H. Richard and T. Marriott, back; W. Parry, and J. Pickering, half-backs; D. H. Williams and E. Berry right wing; J. McGill (captain) centre, W. brown and M. Higgins, and W.J. Gibson, left wing.

April 7, 1884. The Liverpool Mercury
The Liverpool cupholders played their first match at Burscough on Saturday, before a goodly assemblage of spectators; and although they did not place in the field their full cup team, they scored a decisive victory by eight goals to one. Although at the outside the home players had the advantage of the wind, McGill after twenty minutes play, scored for Everton, this point ten minutes later being equalised by a good shot by Baldwin. At half-time, however, the game stood two goals to one in favour of Everton. Berry scoring the second goal for the winning side. Following the change of ends, the visitors had all the best of the play, and scored rapidly, the game terminating as above mentioned. Everton team; R. Morris, goal; H. Richards, and T. Marriott, backs; W. Parry, and J. Pickering, half-backs; D.H. Williams, and E. Berry, right wing; J. McGill, (captain), and W. Brown, centre'; M. Higgins, and W.J. Gibson, left wing.

April 12 th 1884
Everton v Hartford St. John's, at Northwich

May 3 rd 1884. Liverpool Courier.
A football match between the Birkenhead and District and Everton, winners of the Liverpool Association Challenge Cup will be played on ground off Chester-street Birkenhead, today, and as the proceeds are in aid of the funds of the Albert Industrials Schools, which have an indebtedness of over £1,000, the enterprise needs only to be mentioned to receive the cordial co-operation of the residents of the district. The representation will be as follows; - Everton; - C. M. Lindsay, goal, R. Morris, and T. Marriott, backs, W. Parry, J. Pickering and J. Preston, half-backs; E. Berry, and D. H. Williams, right wing; M. Higgins, and W. Gibson, left-wing; J. McGill centre. District; - Chambers (Birkenhead), goal R. Hughes (captain) (Birkenhead), and T. Myers, (Tranmere), backs; L. Routledge (Tranmere), J. Hesketh (Birkenhead), and W. Bowring (Birkenhead), half-backs; W. H. Routledge (Tranmere), and J. Stevenson (Birkenhead) right wing; J. Whitehead and J. Bird (Tranmere) left wing; J. Myatt (Birkenhead) centre.

May 5, 1884. The Liverpool Mercury.
Following the recent examples of the local Rugbyites, the Association of Birkenhead arranged a match in the interest of charity, with the Everton club, the Liverpool Cup holders, the proceeds of which were in aid of the Albert Industrial School which institution is burdened with a debt of £1000. The fixture was set down for Saturday at the ground of the Birkenhead Club in Chester-street, but owing to the element state of the weather the attendance was only moderate, though a goodly number of tickets had been disposed of. A late start was made with the game on account of a heavy shower, but as soon as McGill had started the ball it was evident Birkenhead were over-matched, and as a consequence, were held on the defensive almost continuously throughout the contest. Upto half-time Everton had scored three goals, which achieved by McGill, Williams and R.H. Richards, and on changing over the visitors added a fourth to their record, the match ending in a victory for Everton by four goals to nil. The home custodian played excellently, and but his and Hignet's efforts the defeat would have been much more decisive. Teams:- C. M. Lindsay, goal; T. Marriott, and R.H. Richards, backs; W. Parry, J. Pickering and J. Preston, half-backs; W. Richards, D.H. Williams, M. Higgins, W. Gibson, and J. McGill, forwards. Birkenhead: - Chambers (Birkenhead), goal; R. Highet, captain, (Birkenhead) and T. Myers (Tranmere), backs; J. Routledge (Tranmere), J. Hesketh and W. Martin (Tranmere), half-backs; W. H. Routledge and J. Bird (Tranmere), J. Stevenson and

Everton v Birkenhead District
May 5 th 1884. Liverpool Courier
The Liverpool cupholders were pitted against a team representing the Association clubs of Birkenhead, at the ground in Chester-street, Birkenhead, on Saturday. The match had for its aim a charitable one, the proceeds being devoted towards liquidating a debut of £1,000 on the Albert Industrial Schools. Praiseworthy as the object of the venture was the attendance of spectators was only moderate, but this disappointing was caused probably by the uncongenial weather. The start was delayed half an hour through a heavy showers, and on McGill kicking off, the Evertonians at once became aggressive, and some warm work was given to Chambers chiefly from the left wing and centre, but the custodian cleared cleverly, until McGill, from a pass by Higgins piloted the ball through the posts with a puzzling shot after ten minutes' attack. Everton continued to menace the Birkenhead goal. Myatt got away well down the centre and gave relief but Pickering neutralised matters with a big kick, and shortly after the right wing dribbled down the field and put the visitors' goal in danger for the first time, Highet sending in a low shot which Lindsay just managed to check. Everton at once resumed the attack, and Chambers was repeatedly called upon to save his charge, which he did excellently particularly in the case of a “header”, by McGill from a corner. At length, however, Williams found an opening for a shot from the right. A rush by W. Routledge was rewarded by an unproductive “corner” but the home team were unable to sustain the advantage thus gained, and upon play being once more transferred, R. H. Richards put a third goal to the credit of Everton with a corner throw, the ball being mauled by the custodian in its progress. After the interval, W. Richards at once put Birkenhead on their mettle by centering well, and Everton playing with better combination than in the earlier part of the game, sent shots in both thick and well-directed, but the defence of Chambers Higbet, and Myers was so good that it was not till near the close of the game that the visitors were enabled to score a fourth goal, when McGill, after a scrimmage, received from Preston and manceurved the ball through. This was the last point made, and the combined team were thus beaten by four goals to nil. Everton played a uniformly good game, the backs doing the little they were called upon to do well; whilst the losers were strongest in their defence department. Teams; - Everton; - C. M. Lindsay, goal; R. H. Richards and T. Marriott, backs; W. Parry, J. Pickering, and J. Preston, half-backs; W. Richards and D. H. Williams, right wing; M. Higgins, and. Gibson, left wing J. McGill, centre. District; - Chambers (Birkenhead), goal; R. Highet (captain) (Birkenhead), and T. Mvers (Tranmere), backs; L. Routledge (Tranmere), J. Hesketh, (Birkenhead), and W. Martin (Birkenhead, half-backs; W. H. Routledge, (Tranmere), and J. Stevenson (Birkenhead), right wing; J. Whitehead and J. Bird (Tranmere) left wing; J. Myatt (Birkenhead), centre.

Liverpool and District Football Association
June 13 th 1884. Liverpool Courier
Last evening, the annual general meeting of members of the Liverpool and District Football Association was held in the Neptune Hotel, Clayton square, for the purpose of transacting business and presenting the Challenge Cup to the Everton Club, with silver medals to each of the players in the final tie. There was a large attendance of members. Mr. John Houlding, one of the vice presidents, was called upon to preside. A formed vote of thanks was passed to the officers of the association, the hon, treasurer (Mr. Edwin Berry), and the hon, secretary (Mr. R. E. Lythgoe). Subsequently, Mr. Thomas Evans, chairman of the committee of the association, asked Mr. Houlding, as chairman of the Everton Club to accept the Challenge Cup. He said it was a source of great pleasure to himself and the others members of the committee that the association had been able to acquire such a beautiful and valuable cup, and he hoped it would be the means of promoting greater interest in the game in the district. He was glad to say that during the past year improvement had been made in the play, and more interest had been evinced than foruisnly in the various competitions. Mr. Houlding, in accepting the cup, said that he was glad that the first time it had been won it had been carried off by the Everton Club (Applause). No doubt the other clubs of the association would not allow them to keep it long –at anyrate they would, no doubt, all strive for the possession of it, and it would change hands occasionally (Applause). Referring to his recent visit to the Continent, he said he had seen nothing there of such games as were played in England, and which he believed were conductive to building up the stamina for which Englishmen were noted all over the world. (Applause) He hoped the association would go on and prosper, and that they would always be as flourishing a condition, financially and otherwise, as they were in at the present time. (Applause) Mr. Houlding then presented silver medals to eleven of the members of the Earlestown Club who played in the final tie. The names of the winners of the cup, who received goal-centred medals are; - Messrs. C. M. Lindsay, R. W. Morris, T. Marriott, W. Parry, J. Preston, J. Pickering, M. Higgins, W. Gibson, J. McGill, D. H. Williams, and E. Berry. Formal business connected with the association was afterwards transacted.

June 26 1884. Liverpool Mercury.
The sixth annual general meeting of the Everton Football Club took place on Monday evening at the Sandon Hotel, Anfield Mr. John Houlding, president, in the chair. The following gentleman were elected officers for the ensuing year: - President Mr. John Houlding; vice president Mr. A. Boylett, Mr. R. Wilson, Mr. W. Lowe, Mr. J.C. Brooks, Mr. Woodcock, and Mr. W. Jackson; Honorary treasurer Mr. E. Berry 62 Dale-street; Honorary secretary Mr. F, Brettell, 25 Tennyson-street; captain first team, Mr. W. parry, vice captain first team Mr. T. Marriott; captain second team. Mr. R. H. Richards, vice captain second team' Mr. J. Sinnott; committee, Mr. W. Gunning, Mr. J. Williams, Mr. T. Higgins, Mr. W. William's, Mr. F. Wills Mr. M. Higgins, Mr. W. Evans, and Mr. W. Willis.